What's new

Can we finally agree this game's ranked system needs a region lock?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Would be great if this game had actual ranks, or points, or something to play for. I don't care about wins and losses. I want something that is a declarable level of where I'm at skill-wise.
It has an ELO rank system.

You gain points for victories and lose points for losses. If you beat strong opponents, you gain more points. If you lose against weak opponents, you lose more points.

E

Eldriken

It has an ELO rank system.

You gain points for victories and lose points for losses. If you beat strong opponents, you gain more points. If you lose against weak opponents, you lose more points.
It's not something you can visually see.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I wish there was an option to block those RQers and PM whiners manually, so that we won't have to bother with them anymore, and carry on with our lives. And I concur with the option to opt-out the WiFi warriors.

I don't mind the long 140ms, because even if we had 300ms, the game was played smoothly with both sides with ethernet.

GhosT

Noob
@Immortal so I'm assuming the reason it is still worse would be larger playerbase? I dont disagree w you sfv is far below mk11 I was just naming another modern game I think should have better net play. My online experience is mostly positive but I stand by my opinion that ki online is superior I dont think that's a fallacy.

Setting pings levels per player preference would be better than region locking imo as far as to what the OP was really asking.

nodq

wicked
Yeah OR we can actually get a good netcode from nrs. I bought KI on launch back then my I internet was bad in my area, only 50 down and 10 up. You could wifi 10 man koth cross platform even vs players from all over and it was always playable.
I do not disagree or something. Just wanna point out one important part, that MANY people still believe is true. The raw speed in DL/UL of your connection does not say anything about the quality or RTT of your connection. Not at all. Otherwise I couldn't have played Unreal Tournament or Quake in 1999 on ISDN with good pings etc. ANd ISDN had what? 128k channel bundling or 64k single channel, still I had 40ms latency to good servers. More important things later on for DSL was not the raw speed, that was irrelevant, things like Interleaving and Fastpath was more of an importance to good/fast connections.

When I switched from ISDN to my first DSL connection I had to mess with Interleaving, which made data in a particular sequence to maximize the throughput of raw speed (there was more to it but that is just one example), therfore you could say, the higher raw speed of my connection was not good for my overall connection quality for gaming, ISDN I had like 40ms, DSL with Interleaving I had 110-150ms. And I had to wait a very long time before my ISP wanted to disable it and use Fastpath.

SO long story short, there is lotf of stuff that has an impact on your latency, like error correction protocols, peering, routing, reliability in general (WiFi vs wired), technology used (DSL, cable, fiber whatever), hardware too. The RAW speed, which most people base their decision making on when ordering a connection at an ISP, actually not.

It is really astonishing how often I see people on the Internet arguing about latency with their connection speed alone. It makes no sense.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I do not disagree or something. Just wanna point out one important part, that MANY people still believe is true. The raw speed in DL/UL of your connection does not say anything about the quality or RTT of your connection. Not at all. Otherwise I couldn't have played Unreal Tournament or Quake in 1999 on ISDN with good pings etc. ANd ISDN had what? 128k channel bundling or 64k single channel, still I had 40ms latency to good servers. More important things later on for DSL was not the raw speed, that was irrelevant, things like Interleaving and Fastpath was more of an importance to good/fast connections.

When I switched from ISDN to my first DSL connection I had to mess with Interleaving, which made data in a particular sequence to maximize the throughput of raw speed (there was more to it but that is just one example), therfore you could say, the higher raw speed of my connection was not good for my overall connection quality for gaming, ISDN I had like 40ms, DSL with Interleaving I had 110-150ms. And I had to wait a very long time before my ISP wanted to disable it and use Fastpath.

SO long story short, there is lotf of stuff that has an impact on your latency, like error correction protocols, peering, routing, reliability in general (WiFi vs wired), technology used (DSL, cable, fiber whatever), hardware too. The RAW speed, which most people base their decision making on when ordering a connection at an ISP, actually not.

It is really astonishing how often I see people on the Internet arguing about latency with their connection speed alone. It makes no sense.
Most people don’t understand how network connections work. They just automatically assume A = good, B = bad, etc.

Some of the tropes I see people repeating are from the Wireless-G era. It’s wild.

GhosT

Noob

So I'm guessing at a certain quality of connection (x amount of speed) your really just bottlenecked by the system that's implemented for online play?

I mean that almost makes it sound worse. Imo mk11 online is playable online, perfect no but playable. I just cant get over the feeling the tech is there to make it amazing if they wanted to.

GhosT

Noob
So the new argument is your internet doesnt matter. So we agree this netcode is just poor. K got it! Why did anyone argue my first point lol smh

E

Eldriken

So the new argument is your internet doesnt matter. So we agree this netcode is just poor. K got it! Why did anyone argue my first point lol smh
That's not what they're saying. At all. Why behave in this manner and object to everything people are saying instead of listening to reason? They obviously know more about it than you do, so get educated, not annoyed/aggravated or whatever you are feeling to cause you to say nonsense.

It doesn't matter to the degree people who list their download/upload speeds think it does. It's more about your connection to that person. I'm not as well versed as they are, but I think it's more about how the connections communicate between one another versus its overall speed. If I'm wrong, I'm willing to be corrected.

Also, prior to this patch, how often was this getting brought up? Not much at all because it wasn't a glaring issue like it is now after 1.05.

People all over the Web on different forums and such are talking about it now because the patch fucked something up. It's the Netcode right now, but that's probably because, like I said, NRS fucked it up.

They can fix it, I'd imagine. Then things will probably return to normal. Their Netcode has been really good since they changed it in MKX. It's just busted right now.