What's new

Can someone explain the NRS balance philosophy

I have been playing injustice since release and still can't get my head around the balance decisions NRS have made.

Lets take my main as an example, bane.
Low damage combos with out venom.
Slow B3, slow F3
bad hitboxes on both B3 and F3 + at the negative after B3
fastest move 9 frames
special move 134 frame startup "cant remember the exact number but defo >100."

Yet there are characters like superman, green lanten, batman ect, who seem to have little to no negatives. They literally have the best mobility, fastest normals, specials, B3 F3, best traits, highest damage ect
"1 frame super"

Am I missing something why is the game like this. Seems like these characters completely dominate in every aspect of play. Its not like with zangief where I can say, "I am slow, I am fat but I will twerk you up close." This is really pissing me off feeling almost helpless against them

What would help

normalize the start up of all B3 and F3 + hitboxes + block stun.
give each character a 6-8 frame mid hitting string
being able to dash and block "helps non projectile characters."
reduce the chip damage
Increase the advantage to the player that wins clash " longer hard knockdown."

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The only suggestion I agree with, and the only one they would ever actually do(but probably won't) is reducing chip damage.

I don't think anyone's actually mystified by NRS's balance philosophy. We all really KNOW what it is; it's just that most people have a really hard time accepting the truth and "unfairness" of how this actually works.

NRS's balance agenda in a nutshell:
"Do what the Warner Bros. execs tell us to do."***

***What the Warner Bros. execs told them to do:
1. Make the marquis characters (Superman, Batman, etc.) the best and easiest to play, because that will sell a bunch of games and cross-market their other media, merchandise, etc.

2. Make the popular and well-known characters (Bat-sidekicks and anyone who's been a member of the Justice League) also pretty good, but not the best, because they'll still get lots of players and lots of cross-marketing opportunities.

3. Make a couple of less-popular but appealing characters also quite good (Black Adam, Killer Frost). This will throw people off of seeing a clear pattern in character bias, as well as maybe set up future franchises.

4. Spend as little time (re: money) on the rest of the cast as possible. We gotta get the next big game into production!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Did you actually even look at the moves before storming off and writing this useless thread?

Does banes charge during super look like 134 frames to you? If it does, superman's must be about 110 according to frame data.

Bane's damage is fine. "Low damage with venom" translates into 38% without my trait the second function of which is to add damage to combos.

Lol, bane doesnt have B3/F3 because he doesn't have combos to use them in + he doesn't ever need their armour.

No wonder this thread would come from a new guy maining a mid tier character without even having looked at his character's forums.

They nerf the things people cry about, often those being the easiest to adapt to in tournament play.
They buff or keep things the same of things that "look cool" to casual players (rushdown, combos,) etc.

NRS listens more to the casual gamer, and the casual gamer either mashes buttons, or rushes down without knowing what they are doing, or only know 1 or 2 combos and keep trying to use that same combo starter.

Did you actually even look at the moves before storming off and writing this useless thread?

Does banes charge during super look like 134 frames to you? If it does, superman's must be about 110 according to frame data.

Bane's damage is fine. "Low damage with venom" translates into 38% without my trait the second function of which is to add damage to combos.

Lol, bane doesnt have B3/F3 because he doesn't have combos to use them in + he doesn't ever need their armour.

No wonder this thread would come from a new guy maining a mid tier character without even having looked at his character's forums.
38% what combo is this?
you need B3/F3 to punish, this is how most characters deal damage
"Does banes charge during super look like 134 frames to you? If it does, superman's must be about 110 according to frame data.."
Check the frame data please

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
38% what combo is this?
you need B3/F3 to punish, this is how most characters deal damage
"Does banes charge during super look like 134 frames to you? If it does, superman's must be about 110 according to frame data.."
Check the frame data please
JD3 B23 123 BP

How about you check the frame data? I'm sure you'll be very surprised.

JD3 B23 123 BP

How about you check the frame data? I'm sure you'll be very surprised.
Lol yes, and how many times do you land that combo in a match. Its very difficult to land and is highly punishable due to the large recovery on jump attacks. Compared to the options of other characters its a poor excuse, back to the original question of the thread why is this

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Lol yes, and how many times do you land that combo in a match. Its very difficult to land and is highly punishable due to the large recovery on jump attacks. Compared to the options of other characters its a poor excuse, back to the original question of the thread why is this
How do you know you won't land it when you didn't even know the damn combo LOL.

Coming from SF, you should've known that splashes are used in crossup situations, if you're not getting any knockdowns that give you crossup opportunities, chances are you're not playing bane well.

This is because you don't know shit yet come here and complain about NRS to fix the character you wanna main but know nothing about.

Maybe PND_Mustard can enlighten you.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
They nerf the things people cry about, often those being the easiest to adapt to in tournament play.
They buff or keep things the same of things that "look cool" to casual players (rushdown, combos,) etc.

NRS listens more to the casual gamer, and the casual gamer either mashes buttons, or rushes down without knowing what they are doing, or only know 1 or 2 combos and keep trying to use that same combo starter.
That's why Flash was super buffed.

Eagle Eye

I Seek To Depose!
bane is a really good character. stop it. like nobody in this game really has punishable moves except for aquaman really. bane has a trait that give him armor on all his command moves. thats a good ass trait.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

colt heres your chance to prove him wrong!

#buffjoker2013

hes the worst char in the game

Go into the lab, do Bane vs Bane, put the AI on very hard and maybe you will start to see why you are struggling with him.
?, I dont struggle against bane. Though I find superman, batman, green latent and crew difficult. 5% chip damage on high laser does not help nor does being pushed full screen after every superman special move. STILL NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO EXPLAIN THE BALANCE PHILOSOPHY

Justice

Noob
?, I dont struggle against bane. Though I find superman, batman, green latent and crew difficult. 5% chip damage on high laser does not help nor does being pushed full screen after every superman special move. STILL NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO EXPLAIN THE BALANCE PHILOSOPHY
News flash dood, THIS AIN'T NRS! This is Test Your Might where we work together to find answers for our in-game problems. You want to ask NRS something? E-mail them or hit them up on twitter or something.

The reason I suggested you do the Bane mirror is so that you can see what your character actually has. You also might want to pick a character you struggle with vs Bane to see how the AI deals with your shit. Learn your frame data (and I don't mean only Bane's) and experiment in the lab. Also, don't forget about the Record feature. That way you can spend much time trying to combat exactly what it is you're struggling with.

Bane is quickly rising up the tier list thanks to the buffs and the Bane Scientists finding some really interesting tech in the lab. He is a pretty decent pick right now.

I picked up Bane on day three and never put him down. He is a monster up close.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

NRS listens more to the casual gamer, and the casual gamer either mashes buttons...
Not only casual gamer "mash" buttons :D
i lol'd so hard last couple of days watching ssf4 replays from several nrs players. godlike. I would not be surprised if the majority of nrs players mash buttons specially those who started to play fighting games with mk9.
just sayin :p
for those of you who dont know what mashing is:
one special move is performed like this: :d:r:fp and NOT like this: :d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp:d:r:fp