What's new

Cage Blockstrings and Frame Traps

Theme

Noob
Since there isnt a topic on this, Ill make one, and the pros could give some insight? It would be helpful to new Cage players like myself :).

What are some of Cages frame traps? What do you do after say, F3, or 11? Thanks ahead.

Edit: Yes Im picking him up because of Curbo lol. I want to see how far I can take him.,

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Since there isnt a topic on this, Ill make one, and the pros could give some insight? It would be helpful to new Cage players like myself :).

What are some of Cages frame traps? What do you do after say, F3, or 11? Thanks ahead.

Edit: Yes Im picking him up because of Curbo lol. I want to see how far I can take him.,
the beauty of cage is his mindfuckery, so after a f3 hell why not do another f3? you can mix it up f3,f3,2,21,11,11f1,poke ect to play cage you really want to take advantage of all the moves that he has advantage on block which are sweep, 11f1 both +3 and ex forceball +5, also use you pokes, your plus 3 so you have a f3 ready to beat any counter pokes, d4 your plus 14 so free f3 after that, learn how to hit confirm everything you can into nut punch, once you land a nutpunch cross over to jail and abuse 11f1, after you do a 11f1 dont move and just input f3 and it will beat everything your opponent does besides raiden's tele cyber subs parry ice clone, you get the jist. sorry am typing really fast here but dont think JC is easy mode now it takes a good cage to get in, and a btter one to stay in. :cool:

Theme

Noob
the beauty of cage is his mindfuckery, so after a f3 hell why not do another f3? you can mix it up f3,f3,2,21,11,11f1,poke ect to play cage you really want to take advantage of all the moves that he has advantage on block which are sweep, 11f1 both +3 and ex forceball +5, also use you pokes, your plus 3 so you have a f3 ready to beat any counter pokes, d4 your plus 14 so free f3 after that, learn how to hit confirm everything you can into nut punch, once you land a nutpunch cross over to jail and abuse 11f1, after you do a 11f1 dont move and just input f3 and it will beat everything your opponent does besides raiden's tele cyber subs parry ice clone, you get the jist. sorry am typing really fast here but dont think JC is easy mode now it takes a good cage to get in, and a btter one to stay in. :cool:
Im not a scrub, I know my fundamentals and how to footsies. Thanks for the input, I'll work on my skills. I have tried picking him up before, but his dash 2's always fuck me up. I can usually do two dash 2's before I accidentally forward 2 instead and mess up my combos. Oh well, practice makes perfect. Im going to keep trying him, already spent 3+ hours online with him and hes already proven to be very fun. Fits my play-style perfectly, since I am hardcore rushdown most of the time.

LEGEND

YES!
21 in a pressure string is generally a bad idea, hits high, the High/low mix-up is fuzziable, can be poked on reaction, 0 on block and hit

Once you input 21 your pressure is over

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I asked myself this same question when i first started using him a while back.

You know what i did?
I watched as much footage of Foxy from Super vs Battle 2011 as i could, and i wrote his habits on paper.
I then modified them for my own habits!

While you probably wont do that, Cages pressure will come natural.

Ex (Assume the opp is blocking all this madness):

f3, f33, d3, 1, d3, 21b4, d1, f33b3.

Cages blockstrings are like LEGO blocks. You can have a much more in-depth look at the individual pieces themselves here.

f3
f33
f33b3 (safe on block, ends pressure outside corner)
f32 (opp likes to poke/jump after this)
21f2 (safe on block, ends pressure outside corner)
21b4 ("b4" hits low, opp likes to jump after this)
11f1
d3
d1
d4 (Youll only use this in CQC if the opp respects you too much. Its a good footsie tool to get in).

Save for the teal colored blocks, you can mix and match all of these!
*after 21b4 hits, you can d1 to maintain pressure
*after 21b4 hits OR the opp blocks an f32, you can d1 if you think theyll jump. When they jump, the d1 will catch them.
(opp jumps) d1, f3~nutpunch ^-^

A key part of pressure: What if the opp simply jumps out of my pressure (not including 21b4 or f32)?
Mixing in random 1s catches most, but only do so if you suspect them to jump! 1 hits high and can be uppercutted.

Hope i helped!

Theme

Noob
I asked myself this same question when i first started using him a while back.

You know what i did?
I watched as much footage of Foxy from Super vs Battle 2011 as i could, and i wrote his habits on paper.
I then modified them for my own habits!

While you probably wont do that, Cages pressure will come natural.

Ex (Assume the opp is blocking all this madness):

f3, f33, d3, 1, d3, 21b4, d1, f33b3.

Cages blockstrings are like LEGO blocks. You can have a much more in-depth look at the individual pieces themselves here.

f3
f33
f33b3 (safe on block, ends pressure outside corner)
f32 (opp likes to poke/jump after this)
21f2 (safe on block, ends pressure outside corner)
21b4 ("b4" hits low, opp likes to jump after this)
11f1
d3
d1
d4 (Youll only use this in CQC if the opp respects you too much. Its a good footsie tool to get in).

Save for the teal colored blocks, you can mix and match all of these!
*after 21b4 hits, you can d1 to maintain pressure
*after 21b4 hits OR the opp blocks an f32, you can d1 if you think theyll jump. When they jump, the d1 will catch them.
(opp jumps) d1, f3~nutpunch ^-^

A key part of pressure: What if the opp simply jumps out of my pressure (not including 21b4 or f32)?
Mixing in random 1s catches most, but only do so if you suspect them to jump! 1 hits high and can be uppercutted.

Hope i helped!
Woow lolz. Thanks for the info you guys. This is especially helpful.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Im not a scrub, I know my fundamentals and how to footsies. Thanks for the input, I'll work on my skills. I have tried picking him up before, but his dash 2's always fuck me up. I can usually do two dash 2's before I accidentally forward 2 instead and mess up my combos. Oh well, practice makes perfect. Im going to keep trying him, already spent 3+ hours online with him and hes already proven to be very fun. Fits my play-style perfectly, since I am hardcore rushdown most of the time.
If you have problems with the 2's try Example:F4 or B3 dash 2 dash 21 dash 44 nutpunch.You are droping some percent, but you will never drop it. After 21f2 you can do dash(full dash) f4,f4 nutpunch or 21f2 dash(full dash) 44 En nutpunch. After X-ray dash b3(if you have problem with it just skip it) dash 2, 21 dash 44 nutpunch. In the corner after b3,f4, 21f2 you can do 4,5,6 2's then 114 nut´punch. If you wanna go for the kill and spend some meter try: (Corner) f4 dash back 3 En fireball 2, ,11,114 en nutpunch. 21f2, 3 En fire ball ,2,2,114 en nutpunch. B3(not too close to him ) 3 En fireball,2,11,11,114 En nutpunch. One more thing......after throw you can dash b3 quickly and if they don't block b3 will hit. Many people think that they are safe cause of the distance and eat it.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Step 1: b3, dash 11, dash 11, dash 44~nutpunch

Step 2: b3, dash 11, dash 2, dash 44~nutpunch

Step 3: b3, dash 2, dash 2, dash 44~nutpunch

Step 4: b3, dash 2, dash 2, dash 2, dash 44~nutpunch

Theme

Noob
You misunderstand, Im not offended lolz. Its cool man, Im just saying I know the fundamentals, so no need to worry about that.

Step 1: b3, dash 11, dash 11, dash 44~nutpunch

Lol I know how to do it, and have been practicing. I guess I forgot to mention I can do this offline in practice mode all the time, but its so much harder to time when Im playing online.

After a jump in, you jail then in stand block. Unless you know you're going to hit them with the JP go for 11F1. It is +3 on block. If you time it correctly, the F3 afterwards is free.

F33B3 and F33 EX forceball is a mix up. If they block low they can get hit with the overhead B3 which leaves you at plus five, but if you forceball they whiff and you get blown up. If they stand block the forceballs, you're once again at +5 and can start your pressure over again for free.

21B4 and 21F2 is also a mix up, but its a terrible one. Most people will be low blocking against cage until they see his overheads coming. If they block 21B4 like they should you're at -8, and I think it's neutral or close on hit. For 5%, it's a waste. You'd get that damage in chip off of F33B3 and be at neutral still. The real mix up off of 21 is just whether or not you are going to input the F2 or go for a poke, but even this is just a gimmick. I'm not sure it would work on anyone who knows the matchup well.

After a jump in, you jail then in stand block. Unless you know you're going to hit them with the JP go for 11F1. It is +3 on block. If you time it correctly, the F3 afterwards is free.

F33B3 and F33 EX forceball is a mix up. If they block low they can get hit with the overhead B3 which leaves you at plus five, but if you forceball they whiff and you get blown up. If they stand block the forceballs, you're once again at +5 and can start your pressure over again for free.

21B4 and 21F2 is also a mix up, but its a terrible one. Most people will be low blocking against cage until they see his overheads coming. If they block 21B4 like they should you're at -8, and I think it's neutral or close on hit. For 5%, it's a waste. You'd get that damage in chip off of F33B3 and be at neutral still. The real mix up off of 21 is just whether or not you are going to input the F2 or go for a poke, but even this is just a gimmick. I'm not sure it would work on anyone who knows the matchup well.
smart players can get past that f33b3 / ex snot mixup. You can fuzzy guard the b3 and you will be in crouch animation.