What's new

Broken Ex-Soul Steal

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Right, the ex-soul steal has now lost a lot of credibility and Shang's wake-up game just got even worse.

I was aware that the second hit of SS was block-able, I was however unaware that in the corner, once an opponent blocks the second hit of the soul steal they can fully combo Shang before he is able to block in his morphed form.

Playing foxy's Cage in casuals has made me give up hope once i'm trapped in the corner with Shang. I had relied on the ex-SS for at least a little breathing space in the corner and the threat of the wake-up, but now with zero threat i'm really struggling to do anything once Cage or Lao is bullying me in the corner.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, or does anyone have any ideas what to do about it?

DetroitBalln LETHAL LEGEND WoundCowboy

P.S. Shoutouts to NRS

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Right, the ex-soul steal has now lost a lot of credibility and Shang's wake-up game just got even worse.

I was aware that the second hit of SS was block-able, I was however unaware that in the corner, once an opponent blocks the second hit of the soul steal they can fully combo Shang before he is able to block in his morphed form.

Playing foxy's Cage in casuals has made me give up hope once i'm trapped in the corner with Shang. I had relied on the ex-SS for at least a little breathing space in the corner and the threat of the wake-up, but now with zero threat i'm really struggling to do anything once Cage or Lao is bullying me in the corner.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, or does anyone have any ideas what to do about it?

DetroitBalln LETHAL LEGEND WoundCowboy

P.S. Shoutouts to NRS
I was testing it against the computer and I kouldn't punish Shang when he was in the korner.. It gives a lot of push back. How exactly were you punished? Fast advancing special?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
If you guys happen to have footage it would help.. I kan't seem to be able to do it. (Maybe I'm doing it wrong?)

If it makes any difference I was trying it on old Shang...

It would help if Shang didn't do 30 different wake ups that no one ever uses before finally doing Soul Steal..

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
That means Jax can do a lovely corner rest to Shang.

Ermac might be able to get a lift off. Lao might be able to ex-spin.

Zwooosh

Worst Lao Ever.
Unless I kan Sylar my way into you brain for that knowledge it doesn't really help me...
I didn't reply to you though? That soul steal is pretty punishable though if the second hit is blocked, there was enough time for a dash into a 9 frame normal but i never saw Phosferrax try and jump out.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I don't have an xbox in london :(

We can try it tomorrow though. My controller did seem a little wonky yesterday so it may have been that.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Have you tried recreating this in practice mode? I cant do it with Cage's f3 at all even if I let the first part hit me. Either your controller was messing up or f0xy is using performance enhancing drugs (most likely).
Eggsackly! lol...
I think something is wrong here... hahaha.

This hurts my brain! Please stop! It's totally weird reading sentences with correct spelling and punctuation, with a purposely incorrect letter in replacement of every C! :( lol
I'm a grammar Nazi.. 'Tis what I do...

Why kan't you handle the K?