What's new

Tech Breaker trap vs Sonya, Knockdown Setups and More

Seapeople

This one's for you
Hey guys. I recently decided to focus completely on Cyrax as my main and have been toying around with a few things. Let me know what you think.

First is some anti-Sonya tech in the corner. When you end your combo with a normal bomb set up, she can only escape the follow up pressure with a wakeup ex cartwheel....But if you quickly break the ex cartwheel she still gets launched onto the bomb. I haven't found any way that she can escape this yet.

The next part of the video shows how you could use d4~AAt to deal with a lot of Sonya and Jax's wakeup options. The only wakeup Jax can use to avoid this is ex OHS.
You might think d4~AAt is a horrible idea when blocked but it's actually not that bad. Since it takes the other player 5 frames to turn around, you're only about -1 on block and +5 on hit.

The last thing I wanted to talk about is u4. It's one of the fastest regular overheads in the game, creates good bomb set ups, and completely hops over d3 and d4 (but not d1). We've got to use this move more often :cool:
I think this could be a crucial part of Cyrax's pressure against low hitbox characters because they can basically just crouch block & wait for you to whiff anything. Using u4 could get them to start blocking high, meaning more opportunities for the command grab or other blockstrings.

U4 also hops over stuff like Jax's f4 which is very helpful in that matchup. It could also be used sparingly against high hitbox characters who love to poke out with d3. Anyway I hope this stuff is somewhat useful. Does he need it??

Krayzie TONY-T Denzell Maxter NariTuba PND_Mustard J360 GGA HAN @All other Cyrax players.

good shit bro, glad to hear you're dropping sz.

Although I think sonya can escape with ex arc kick. U4 being 14f is new to me, I'll have to check that out.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
good shit bro, glad to hear you're dropping sz.

Although I think sonya can escape with ex arc kick. U4 being 14f is new to me, I'll have to check that out.
yes she can escape with the arc kick pretty much always, but i think the point of this is sonyas abuse wake up cartwheel to get out of situations like this all the time, so its unlikely for them to read this as a breaker trap then just a bomb setup. Nice stuff Seapeople

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
very good stuff, Seapeople. I've been working a bit on the Sonya MU lately and I'm sure this will be useful. She may also be able to escape this trap with (lol) EN-leg grab, have you tried this? I've also found the d4 x anti-air useful against Kitana; been playing that MU a ton with GGA 16 Bit. It beats wakeup square-wave and keeps her close, helping against one of the few issues I have personally in that MU.

I did some testing with this set up. I think it works best off of double b2 knockdown. It gives the most advantage and thus gives more time for the bomb to go off.

After landing the second b2, back dash into bomb. Then dash forward and go for a string. If she does cartwheel, breaker into combo. If she does kiss, assuming it didn't get stuffed out, the bomb will launch her and you'll likely get a combo. Leg grab escapes this set up. If she does arc kick, she'll recover on top of the bomb and will likely get launched. It's possible she can escape, but it looks like a tight window and she'll have to use meter to escape. Either way, you can just block to bait out arc kick/leg grab and then full combo her.

One more thing to add. When doing b2 on a netted opponent, make sure cyrax's stance is towards the camera. In other words, make sure you can see his chest. Otherwise, the B2 will whiff.

EDIT: actually it might be random. will have to test more

Seapeople

This one's for you
very good stuff, Seapeople. I've been working a bit on the Sonya MU lately and I'm sure this will be useful. She may also be able to escape this trap with (lol) EN-leg grab, have you tried this? I've also found the d4 x anti-air useful against Kitana; been playing that MU a ton with GGA 16 Bit. It beats wakeup square-wave and keeps her close, helping against one of the few issues I have personally in that MU.
Nice I never thought to use it against square wave.

I did some testing with this set up. I think it works best off of double b2 knockdown. It gives the most advantage and thus gives more time for the bomb to go off.

After landing the second b2, back dash into bomb. Then dash forward and go for a string. If she does cartwheel, breaker into combo. If she does kiss, assuming it didn't get stuffed out, the bomb will launch her and you'll likely get a combo. Leg grab escapes this set up. If she does arc kick, she'll recover on top of the bomb and will likely get launched. It's possible she can escape, but it looks like a tight window and she'll have to use meter to escape. Either way, you can just block to bait out arc kick/leg grab and then full combo her.
Good stuff. Isn't it possible for 22 to stuff the leg grab and arc kick? I know it can at least stuff the regular cartwheel.

One more thing to add. When doing b2 on a netted opponent, make sure cyrax's stance is towards the camera. In other words, make sure you can see his chest. Otherwise, the B2 will whiff.

EDIT: actually it might be random. will have to test more
That's interesting. I'm guessing you're talking about b2 after a low air net? Could njp work just as well?

Seapeople njp splat might give more advantage than double b2 actually. I'll have to test more. Double b2 does more damage though and is probably easier off a really low net.

I found a good way to make sure double b2 doesn't whiff. Just do a neutral jump. It seems to be based more on timing than spacing or stance.

I did some more research. If you do njp splat/b2 splat, tech roll into ex cartwheel will escape the set up. Arc kick and leg grab will get blown up however. If they don't tech roll, leg grab will escape the set up.

Given this, it's probably better to go for the u4 splat. Ex cartwheel will get broken into a bomb while arc kick and leg grab will both escape this set up. 50/50 really.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I did some more research. If you do njp splat/b2 splat, tech roll into ex cartwheel will escape the set up. Arc kick and leg grab will get blown up however. If they don't tech roll, leg grab will escape the set up.

Given this, it's probably better to go for the u4 splat. Ex cartwheel will get broken into a bomb while arc kick and leg grab will both escape this set up. 50/50 really.
When I was doing the u4 splat it seemed like if the other player just blocks the 334 they won't get relaunched (and the last two hits of the string will whiff). Maybe I'm mistiming it or my spacing is off...I've never really used u4 as a combo ender in the corner until now.

Edit: Maybe teleport into ragdoll could be the most foolproof way to set this up.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
why was this in the subzero forum?

bitch ass traitor

the lin kuei gonna getcha

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?

great tech, U4 screams tech IMO

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
why was this in the subzero forum?

bitch ass traitor

the lin kuei gonna getcha

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?

great tech, U4 screams tech IMO
cyrax is lin kuei go to the darkside and become a cyborg drop the ice ninja

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
cyrax is lin kuei go to the darkside and become a cyborg drop the ice ninja
i play bi han.

the true lin kuei subzero

cyrax is just a lil bitch wall-e that got pissed on when he was a child so he got cheat code technology

i do use cyrax kl and jax lately though

Seapeople

This one's for you
I messed with the breaker trap a little more today.
It looks like the best way to set it up is by ending your combo with a low air net followed by a ragdoll (keeping Sonya in the corner). I might have to make another video since it's hard to explain but hopefully you understand what I mean.
This breaker trap should also work if you knock Sonya down with 212 in the corner, but I haven't tried it yet to make sure.

I also found a pretty cool midscreen set up against Sonya using d4~AAt to stuff her ex cartwheel and launch her onto a bomb. It's kind of a shenanigan but I'll try to make a video showing it anyway.

Still messing with all kinds of stuff for the robot. My Cyrax is almost ready for Final Round :)

NariTuba

disMember
First is some anti-Sonya tech in the corner. When you end your combo with a normal bomb set up, she can only escape the follow up pressure with a wakeup ex cartwheel....But if you quickly break the ex cartwheel she still gets launched onto the bomb.
Basically everytime you have breaker with Cyrax you can throw midscreen midbombs behind them for free. You can freestyle it. Once they know about it, it becomes another guessing game.

The next part of the video shows how you could use d4~AAt to deal with a lot of Sonya and Jax's wakeup options. The only wakeup Jax can use to avoid this is ex OHS.
I tested and gave up on d4~AAt vs Excartwheel a while ago, it seems inconsistent or with a very narrow execution window. The Jax stuff is awesome!

The last thing I wanted to talk about is u4. It's one of the fastest regular overheads in the game, creates good bomb set ups, and completely hops over d3 and d4 (but not d1). We've got to use this move more often :cool:
I think this could be a crucial part of Cyrax's pressure against low hitbox characters because they can basically just crouch block & wait for you to whiff anything. Using u4 could get them to start blocking high, meaning more opportunities for the command grab or other blockstrings.

U4 also hops over stuff like Jax's f4 which is very helpful in that matchup. It could also be used sparingly against high hitbox characters who love to poke out with d3. Anyway I hope this stuff is somewhat useful. Does he need it??
I always liked u4, I just think its badass. The bomb setups are much better with double b2, and do more damage. Im experimenting with using it for counterpoking, the range is not bad and the hop works sometimes like you said. Standing 3 has much better options but the range sucks. Im with you, more u4!

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I've actually been meaning to make a video for everrrr but I haven't had the chance. Someone else can if they want.

Cyrax U4, Ermac U4, and Reptile B4 are completely invincible to every low move in the game. They can hop any low fireball with it, beat any more that hits low (Kang B3, Jax F4, any d3/d4), and even goes through Sindel Xray and Ninja wakeup Slides.

Quan Chi's U3 also does this, however not on startup like the other ones. It only low crushes at the second half of the move.

Someone make a video about it!

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Cyrax U4, Ermac U4, and Reptile B4 are completely invincible to every low move in the game. They can hop any low fireball with it, beat any more that hits low (Kang B3, Jax F4, any d3/d4), and even goes through Sindel Xray and Ninja wakeup Slides.

Quan Chi's U3 also does this, however not on startup like the other ones. It only low crushes at the second half of the move.

Someone make a video about it!
All these moves are sloth like though bro, if one were to throw out a d3, and the aforementioned happened to prioritize through it, you would still have time to block wouldn't ye? Two of the moves require (Ermac/Quan's) 24-25 frames of execution, Reptile's b4 is fully punishable, and Cyrax has better pressure options heh?

P.S This is a pity bump, as I read your post in the theater of the absurd thread, and felt bad. ;)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
All these moves are sloth like though bro, if one were to throw out a d3, and the aforementioned happened to prioritize through it, you would still have time to block wouldn't ye? Two of the moves require (Ermac/Quan's) 24-25 frames of execution, Reptile's b4 is fully punishable, and Cyrax has better pressure options heh?

P.S This is a pity bump, as I read your post in theater of the absurd thread, and felt bad. ;)
potentially if they do a d3 then immediately stand block, they can block some of them some of the time, but that seems a little bit rare, plus the best ones (cyrax and ermac) are near safe and safe.

For ermac the importance of this comes from the fact that his low pokes are so damn bad. So if he's fighting someone that's down poking or using lows a lot, he can use this to try and get out of pressure instead of risking one of his crappy downpokes.

Cyrax's helps him in situations like against Jax where he doesn't have a lot of great options to get out of F413 repeatedly (since cyrax can't duck it) or against people who like to use d4 a lot (since his fastest string hits high)

Also for both, if someone is low blocking waiting to counterpoke, it will blow that up. So if Jax does F413 > Low Block to bait a d3/d1 and do another F413, it will obviously hit him overhead.

Reptile's kinda sucks because (as usual) the risk reward of his is so terrible, but it's there and could be good for something, idk. Maybe good against Liu pressure?

Quan's is really slow to get to the point where it crushes lows, so his best use of it would probably be to bait low wakeups like Sub Slide with it.