What's new

Block Breakers Confirmed in Mortal Kombat

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I don't see why people would be against a way to stop block pressure when it costs 2 bars and stamina to do. If it leads to bullshit then that's another story. You should not be rewarded with anything more than a neutral situation for using meter to cover your mistakes.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
It's weird that Injustice can be thrown under the bus for having too many get out of jail free cards but also for having too many unfair pressure options (50/50s, shoulder, trident rush).
Quoted again for absolute truth.

Too many people on this site repeat the narratives of others. It's good to see people regulating.

Rude

This works against you more than against him.

The certainty with which people state anything about this game is mindboggling. Just over two weeks away and we only just learned about a core engine mechanic, but clearly everyone already knows everything.
Quoted for truth, again.

Rude

Holy shit the amount of stupid in this thread is painful.
It's like Christmas came early or something.

Look, you and I may see things differently regarding The Flash, but it's good to see some more forum regulators.

And yes, I DO think the entirety of this thread is absolutely bonkers. It's not even a question.

I'm all for this mechanic as long as it costs two bars for a couple of reasons...

1. Sometimes chip in mk is salt inducing, lbsh
2. 2 bars is a lot to pay for a pushblock so it will be a big risk on the defender and still provides profit to the attacking player.
3. Hopefully this mechanic can help avoid any sort of Rune Trap/Resets that would otherwise be possible.

And people said there's no zoning in MKX. Pfft.

With pushblock, invincible backdashes, breakers and armor there are more defensive options for runaway when compared to MK9. Plus, no dash-blocking so people have to walk their way in and hold that chip.
Running is still great mechanic for closing distance. and don't forget intractables

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, it's a pushblock. At the full price of regular breaker. Only useful against someone pressuring you without continuing into strings/specials as otherwise regular breaker would suffice. Also helps with saving some hp bar as it doesn't require to facetank an opener.

That's really about it. Not much to see here, not much of a change compared to MK9 actually, but I guess it's nice to have. This thing being expensive justifies these buffs to defence, especially if we consider that most of the cast will probably have cheaper tools to use against single hit pressure as long as you are willing to read/risk with it.

WTB an animation with less pause on attacker. That's it.

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I'm all for this mechanic as long as it costs two bars for a couple of reasons...

1. Sometimes chip in mk is salt inducing, lbsh
2. 2 bars is a lot to pay for a pushblock so it will be a big risk on the defender and still provides profit to the attacking player.
3. Hopefully this mechanic can help avoid any sort of Rune Trap/Resets that would otherwise be possible.
I also hope that maybe you can armor through it on a read. The same way you can armor through push blocks on Injustice.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It's basically a breaker you can use without being hit. You could break rune traps, SZ's u4~midbomb and stuff like that in MK9 too - you just had to release block button and then break. This one is the same except you don't have to tank that first hit.

I don't think it solves true breaker traps like Cyrax had.

I also hope that maybe you can armor through it on a read. The same way you can armor through push blocks on Injustice.
This one is not as expendable as IGAU pushblock. Meter here is harder to come by and it's 2/3rd of the bar plus full stamina instead of 1/4th. It's kind of stupid if you can armor through it while your opponent could've just spent like 5% and break normally.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
The amount of salt that will be passed by on tym if Nrs changes pusblock from 2/3 bars to 1/3 bars would be glorious lol.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I don't see why people would be against a way to stop block pressure when it costs 2 bars and stamina to do. If it leads to bullshit then that's another story. You should not be rewarded with anything more than a neutral situation for using meter to cover your mistakes.
Shit dude i didn't see it uses your full Stanima!!!

Nice spotting, even more reason why its not free lol

It's basically a breaker you can use without being hit. You could break rune traps, SZ's u4~midbomb and stuff like that in MK9 too - you just had to release block button and then break. This one is the same except you don't have to tank that first hit.

I don't think it solves true breaker traps like Cyrax had.

This one is not as expendable as IGAU pushblock. Meter here is harder to come by and it's 2/3rd of the bar plus full stamina instead of 1/4th. It's kind of stupid if you can armor through it while your opponent could've just spent like 5% and break normally.
Right I get it, but I'm saying that it may solve problems that would otherwise be present in mkx, not mk9.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
:tonyt

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I haven't check this thread since the last time i've posted, and i see a lot of people trying to blow me up lol, there was less much evidence about it before my post.

If is indeed it costs 100% stamina + two bars of meter to pushblock as if you either push the chip or the hit but you can't do both then i'm okay with it, its a risk reward situation and i doubt we will see much of it unless in situations where it will be absolute necessary.

Back dashing doesn't really work in the corner even with invincible frames. It can work, but it usually ends in the aggressor's favor.
You can either propel out of the corner and even with armor just to make sure you get out.
Either way the aggressor still has to scope all your escape options.

My only worry before (which i don't have anymore) was:

You're a rushdown character who excels up close with chips and mixups, and you're fighting a character that excels at zoning that getting in might be a nightmare, and put to trough hell to get in, and when you're finally able to get in, he push blocks you away and reset the advantage you've gained, now you have to go trough hell again to get in while he sustains the lifelead.

But since it cost the same requirements as a the breaker, then i see no problem, its not something that can be pulled off left and right without considering the following "what if i actually get it?"

Unless the chip is about to kill you, this mechanic is a total waste of meter to use. Especially with it costing 2 bars in a 3 bar game.

BTW, I just noticed that the stamina bar depletes and that makes the price you pay even worse.

Last edited:

Rude

Am I the only person that has noticed that we don't know how fast meter is built in this game?

That we don't know how often a person could conceivably have meter in one round?

Also, frame traps in Injustice obviously weren't the same as MK9 because of invincible backdashes and Pushblock. That's true.

BUT...we don't even know if frame advantage will work the same way in MK X as it did in either game, or exactly how MUCH frame advantage is the average.

For example, being at +12 wasn't that big of a deal in Injustice. Batman had that, and you could backdash his guaranteed follow-up. How do we know the same might not be true of something in MK X?

I see players citing niche, specific uses for a mechanic they haven't even played with, yet. Not speculating, legit saying, "This is how you will use this."

Get a grip and get your hands on the game first.

What do you mean? I don't think that's accurate at all.
Every single character in the game had armored launchers. You had characters like Bane who literally dripped armor. Grundy had a normal special with what, 3 hits of armor? Armor was everywhere in that game.

Rude

Every single character in the game had armored launchers. You had characters like Bane who literally dripped armor. Grundy had a normal special with what, 3 hits of armor? Armor was everywhere in that game.
Armor didn't work in Injustice the way it did in MK9. In MK9, armor lasted for the duration of a move and had an unlimited number of hits it could absorb from the time the armor started, to the time it ended. In Injustice, it was typically one hit of armor.

Which means any multi-hitting strings, fast projectiles, etc could eat through the armor.

Grundy and Bane are the only characters whose armor worked differently, and even with Bane, you could parry some of his armored moves. At least, Batman could. I can't speak for Frost or WoWo or Zod. You also had a character whose trait ignored all armor.

Armor wasn't a huge problem in Injustice.

I liked that everyone had an armored option. It was certainly better than being an Ermac or hell, any of the MK9 characters that had no armor stuck on a knockdown with no real way out. At that same time, a character like Kenshi had buckets of armor.

What I find interesting though...is that both Grundy in Injustice and Rain in MK9 had a lot of armor, and both are considered shitters.