What's new

Best block stings?

HangNail

TrevarThePastor
Best block strings?

What are cyrax's most effective block strings? I know a few but none of them really mix it up the way i would want it to. I'd usually do 21,21,21,121 saw. I like that one becasue if they don't react it will push them back with the saw, and if they don't time a reaction perfectly you can get them in a net. But i KNOW he can do better. Videos will be much appreciated :D

Lari K

Noob
I know this may not be exactly what you asked, but I think it should be mentioned that if you play against an opponent who really doesn't react and just blocks the punches you could always mix things up with throws for more damage. Cyrax's 21 throw or jump in punch command grab are both nice on block. Anyway, I think ending block strings with a saw is a very smart move. I'm not at my place now so I can't test it right away (sorry!), but if you want to push them back, I'd recall that 123 saw pushes them even further on block than 121 saw. I don't like using Cyrax's meter on his enhanced ragdoll kick, but sometimes I get the final match-ending damage in with, say, 121 (all blocked high) -> e-ragdoll (opponent fails to block low) -> free throw.

21, 12 and 11 are all neutral. F2 gives advantage. 334 also gives advantage but it pushes back so it's difficult to follow up with anything.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
he has good blockstrings but some of them have problems you need to know about.

121 is good as you can follow it up with a saw or the ragdoll kick, but the first hit is a pure high so it wont hit a crouching opponent right away so they can poke you straight out of it, you CAN however jail them into a standing block from a blocked jip so you can almost guarantee this after a command grab has landed.

212 has the same problem, the first hit is high, and characters with 6 frame moves can interupt it before the last hit (2) comes out, best bet is going for it to test to see if the opponent shows you that theyre capable of interupting it, if you manage to land a blocked 212 fully you will be in range to go for an immediate d4.

f2 is pretty good for covering large amounts of space, and is useful after you've launched a bomb on screen, as its very hard to hitconfirm a f2 your best bet would be to cancel it to either the saw over overhead kick, however i dont think f2 is midhitting.

334 is a good one, however only for first hit is midhitting, and they will be able to crouch block the rest of it, but if you land the last hit on block you get a guaranteed d1, which you can cancel into whatever special you want, this is a great option after the safe jump you get from the command grab.

NariTuba

disMember
334 jails, if you catch them standing on the first hit they are forced to block the entire thing and deal with the -5 after. Dont use 3,3 on block, its minus.

d1 and d3 links to ragdoll are also good, but they can be interrupted between hits so they cannot be abused. If you catch them with the ragdoll trying to escape you get to apply more pressure by avoiding the throw.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
334 jails, if you catch them standing on the first hit they are forced to block the entire thing and deal with the -5 after. Dont use 3,3 on block, its minus.

d1 and d3 links to ragdoll are also good, but they can be interrupted between hits so they cannot be abused. If you catch them with the ragdoll trying to escape you get to apply more pressure by avoiding the throw.
yeah 3, and 33 standalone should never be used as a blockstring, if you plan on using 3 just to catch a blocking opponent for some chip just go 3-saw/ragdoll

Seapeople

This one's for you
Depending on your bomb placement, some block strings are guaranteed to push them into the bomb for a combo.

With a close bomb, 21~Anti air works. With a mid bomb, 22 and d4~saw are good (but d4 saw will knockdown on hit). These kind of strings are great to use when you get the opportunity

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
You check it? That is a 100% information?

someone uses the delay to "11 delay of 1", that is the reaction to make a third hit (if the opponent tries to climb up there), or to make a dash, and continue pressing
i cant check it as i have no means of finding out the frame data officially.

NariTuba

disMember
You check it? That is a 100% information?

someone uses the delay to "11 delay of 1", that is the reaction to make a third hit (if the opponent tries to climb up there), or to make a dash, and continue pressing
Go to training mode.

Set the dummy to stand block.

Walk up to it and do 1,1; pause immediately.

Change the dummy to jump without block.

Hold up on your controller and unpause.

If you and the dummy jump at the same time, there is no advantage. If Cyrax leaves the ground first, you have advantage.

I think mustard is right, there is no advantage... but i havent checked.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Go to training mode.

Set the dummy to stand block.

Walk up to it and do 1,1; pause immediately.

Change the dummy to jump without block.

Hold up on your controller and unpause.

If you and the dummy jump at the same time, there is no advantage. If Cyrax leaves the ground first, you have advantage.

I think mustard is right, there is no advantage... but i havent checked.
that really isnt a 100% way to check advantage though, it seems to have mixed results whenever i try it on other things, it'll give you a rough idea but nothing concrete.