What's new

Asking TYM to help me get back together with my ex gf again.

My girlfriend broke up with me after 1 year. When she broke up with me, she said she was too sad about what had happened and she wouldn't get better. . She meant everything to me and she felt the same way about me. She still wanted to be with me and when I asked her if she would ever want to be with me again, she immediately said yes.

I first want to lay out the problems we had in our relationship ( which a lot of them were caused by me).

- space and trust: When we first started dating I heard story from my friends that she was kinda wild when she went abroad as an exchange student. This is something that bothered me a little, but I still wanted to date her. She was the one who liked me first and after my birthday party back then, I brought her home and then asked her out. At the beginning of the relationship she would text a particular guy a lot, a lot than me. If she opened her phone that guys face would show up. Another guy would also text her every now and then and she told me it was someone she knew from skating. After a while she told me about stuff that she dealt with in the past and it turned out that skating guy was her ex. This is an example of things she would hide from me and lie about. This caused me to not trust her completely and not give her enough space sometimes, because I asked a lot of attention from her.

- A second problem was that there was one time an argument got so heated, I told her I hated her. meant 0% of it and she knows this and I apologized for it. Still doesn't mean I hurt her and she couldn't forget about this.

In another argument we had I got so angry I pointed at her while arguing and I hit the bed. This got her intimidated, but getting violent with her wasn't even on my mind. I would never be like that. She means everything to me. These are things she can't forget about. I know some people might think that words like I hate you don't mean that much in a fight, but it hurt her a lot and people are different and it broke her heart.

- Her parents and me didn't get along. I am not a shy guy by definition, but there are people I do get along with and some people I don't get along with. And with the people I don't get along with it is really hard to communicate with. They have 6 dogs and I am just not a fan of dogs. Especially when I got bit by one when I was 4 years old. Her parents lives are all about dogs and doing things with dogs. So we really had nothing to talk about. Her mom would complain that me and my gf would just be in her room all the time and that it would be nice if we sat in the living room for an hour sometimes. The problem we did this, we would sit in the living room for 2 hours everytime and it still wasn't was enough for my stepmother, because with an hour, she really meant half a day. She couldn't accept the fact that I came by for her daughter and not for them. Then her mom got involved when me and my gf had a fight and things got really heated. We still gave it a chance after that, but things were really bad.

1,5 month after this big fight I tried really hard, but we still fought. Not heated fights, but we kept fighting about stuff she or I did. She tried to be happy, but it didn't work. She dropped the line: the one who broke you heart can't heal you. I said that isnt true and that it depends on the situation, because I was willing to change. Especially after 2 days she broke up with me, I did a lot of thinking and realised a lot of mistakes I made.

Its been almost a week since we broke up and I texted her the day after we broke up if she was okay and she said she didn't want to talk about it. I told her I hoped she would be doing better and she told me that was sweet.

3 days after the breakup she asked me if it was weird if she just wanted to talk. I told her it was fine if that was what she wanted. The conversation happened on whatsapp and it was about random stuff and not about the relationship. It was a positive conversation.

Yesterday I told her about the things I had done and that I realised I wasn't being grateful and that I realised that now and I thanked her for all she had done for me. She told me she was relieved and that it was really nice to hear this from me.
I also invited her for friday to dinner with my friends (mutual friends) and she liked the idea and she would think about it.

So TYM, I was an active member of this community and website for 4 years and went away last year. This is the only place I can go apart from my real life friends who may be too close to the problem to be objective about it. I am at a loss and need all the advice and help I can have. I hope some of you can help me with this.

@Pig Of The Hut I know youre a married man, I know this is a really long write up, but I also know that you have helped a lot of people in this community and do take the effort to help people.

I don't know who else to tag @Slips @coolwhip @A F0xy Grampa

Last edited:
I want to also mention that apart from all this, the first 8 months of the relationship went really well. I was the first one to make her feel really loved, accepted and that she could be herself. Apart from all this I really treated her the best way I could and she was always more than satisfied with how I treated her.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I just wanna say this: It kinda sucks really hard when you extremely love someone and you feel like this person might just feel the same but not quite, and to make it all worse, everyone else disagrees with your relationship like her parents for example.

Although i don't believe in equal love from each part, love is a relationship and its something you build on, trust is a must on a relationship, you need to feel comfortable knowing your girl is out of your sight but she is not secretly meeting with someone else who is not you, this will always destroy you. If she always has that guy she keeps texting to all the times despite being on a commitment, she hasn't totally forgotten him.

I personally think this is a really private thing, the only thing i can say you is, if you really love her and you she really demonstrates she loves you back, like willing to do anything for you, then both of you should consider giving each other a chance, but bro, if this doesn't work out again, i strongly suggestion to move on, erase her off your life and allow yourself to love yourself more, and just be yourself, because that girl wasn't ready for you and she may never be.

I just wanna say this: It kinda sucks really hard when you extremely love someone and you feel like this person might just feel the same but not quite, and to make it all worse, everyone else disagrees with your relationship like her parents for example.

Although i don't believe in equal love from each part, love is a relationship and its something you build on, trust is a must on a relationship, you need to feel comfortable knowing your girl is out of your sight but she is not secretly meeting with someone else who is not you, this will always destroy you. If she always has that guy she keeps texting to all the times despite being on a commitment, she hasn't totally forgotten him.

I personally think this is a really private thing, the only thing i can say you is, if you really love her and you she really demonstrates she loves you back, like willing to do anything for you, then both of you should consider giving each other a chance, but bro, if this doesn't work out again, i strongly suggestion to move on, erase her off your life and allow yourself to love yourself more, and just be yourself, because that girl wasn't ready for you and she may never be.
Thanks Eddy. Towards the end of the relationship I started to learn to trust her more. And after thinking more clearly I am pretty confident I can trust her now or at least close to working towards that goal. She was never with the guy she texted and she already doesn't text him anymore. It was really nothing.

The worst part is if I knew and realised what I know now a few weeks ago, this wouldn't even have happened.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
What's the exact reason you guys split? Just because all the arguments? Sometimes you get blinded by lust and confuse it for love.

I was with a girl for a whole year and the first six months were great, but after the little honeymoon period I got a job that demanded a lot more hours, we started seeing things in each other that we didn't like and never took notice of at the beginning.

Sometimes you have to just think that maybe she ISN'T the right one? If you're arguing a lot it's not healthy for you, I was constantly going to work stressed and pissed off, not in a good space.
If you're willing to accept her flaws and she yours, and wanna make it work, then go for it.

But one thing I've come to realise after having a few long relationships; people don't change. They may show signs of different behaviours for first couple of months but habits die hard and they're still gonna be the same person underneath it all.

Good luck to you my friend, relationships suck.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
So TYM, I was an active member of this community and website for 4 years and went away last year. This is the only place I can go apart from my real life friends who may be too close to the problem to be objective about it. I am at a loss and need all the advice and help I can have. I hope some of you can help me with this.
Bear with me now, you'll see where I'm going with this. Long-winded as it may seem I'll break this down to you. It will be tedious, it may even be annoying, but this is how you get to the bottom of it.
When faced with problems one will always have to be, as you say, objective about the issue and go at it in a specific way depending on what the problem is. The usual way we do this in the professional field of problem solving, is find the shortest way to describe the problem.
Example
Problem: I am afraid of dogs.
Cause of the problem: Got bit when I was 4.
Problem affecting me: Whenever I see a dog in the street or at a friends' house I'm scared.
Solution: Get a puppy, read some books, ask some people how and raise a dog. Learn that dogs have their own personal space so a little kid running around can actually intimidate a dog into attacking. Dogs are not psychos even if that wasn't the case: their owners are. If you raise a puppy with love, that dog will never ever attack a human. If a dog is beat, kicked into and hated, now that dog will attack.

When you have fears that aren't something out of your reach - ie afraid of Saturn and its rings but you'll never get close to that so fuck it, right? - when you have fears that affect your every day life, you face them, you rationalise, you tell yourself there's nothing to be afraid of. And prove it to yourself.

However, if you are afraid of commitment, afraid to lose someone, or afraid of being cheated on, that's not one problem and definitely not something you can get into the comfort zone of.
That is when you need to develop a so-called firewall.
Here is how this works:

Problem: I'm afraid that I'll give my all and she'll just up and betray me.
Cause of the problem: She's not straight with me.
Problem affecting me: I love her, I want to be with her, but I'm afraid of being hurt.
Solution: The problem is not the problem.

THE PROBLEM in a relationship like that, is that SHE is afraid of being honest to you about the way she is and that's only doable from her side of the fence, you can't do anything other than being patient and understanding and forgive me for saying so, bending over backwards just because you love her shifty lying ass.

So let's look at it again.
Problem: She's not an honest person.
Cause of the problem: God only knows. Try asking her and then believe what you will.
Problem affecting you: Not really unless you want to subject yourself to this.
Solution: The problem is still not the problem.

THE PROBLEM is that she's dishonest with YOU, and unless you catch her lying to other people about other things as well, the odds are that you have an equal part in the problem.

So here goes.

She probably loves you but she's done shit in the past that she's not proud of. Let her come to you with that shit, you just love her right. You just spend time with her, enjoy her company, make sure yours is enjoyable and here's the thing: Do. NOT. EXPECT. Anything in return for being nice to her. Fuck knows, maybe she got hurt. Maybe she been through hell with guys, one or more, who cares.
If it's her you love, it's now you love her and right now, she's there with you. What happened in the past is obviously important, it kinda makes you who you are. Makes her who she is. But if you want to build a rock solid relationship that's gonna last to the grave, you gotta be secure in yourselves.

Two halves do not make a relationship. Two wholes do.

So first, let go. Be together, date, but don't expect shit. Be confident in yourselves, reassure one another that you're there for one another whatever happens and then see if that works out. Expectations and forcing shit breaks a relationship that otherwise could work just fine. You both are adults, responsible of your own game, so step it up and be worthy of the relationship by both of you running it. Be honest and if it doesn't work out or one of you feels it's not gonna be good, just say it.
Every day's a gift, if it's spent in good spirit and if the day's over - be it a day's stand just making out or the day is actually a few years - do both of you the favor that you thank one another and move on.
The day's yours.

Live it like it's the very last.

What's the exact reason you guys split? Just because all the arguments? Sometimes you get blinded by lust and confuse it for love.

I was with a girl for a whole year and the first six months were great, but after the little honeymoon period I got a job that demanded a lot more hours, we started seeing things in each other that we didn't like and never took notice of at the beginning.

Sometimes you have to just think that maybe she ISN'T the right one? If you're arguing a lot it's not healthy for you, I was constantly going to work stressed and pissed off, not in a good space.
If you're willing to accept her flaws and she yours, and wanna make it work, then go for it.

But one thing I've come to realise after having a few long relationships; people don't change. They may show signs of different behaviours for first couple of months but habits die hard and they're still gonna be the same person underneath it all.

Good luck to you my friend, relationships suck.
The thing is looking back at everything I am happy to accept her flaws, because they are really not that bad. I was just ungrateful with everything I had with her and wanted all things to go my way I guess.

The flaws I had that she had a problem with are connected with the flaws she had. My flaws were kind of a reaction towards hers, so if I can accept her flaws, some of my flaws will go away too. I just shouldnt make a problem out of some stuff and that would already change a lot.

Well that's because she needs time and she wants to talk before she'd...

that, yes.

Try a neutral environment, during the daylight hours, casual outfits. Go take a walk somewhere nice.
I knew it was too soon, but she would at least think about it when I asked her. Maybe if I wait another week I can ask her to meet again. The problem is this was a good excuse to meet me, bceuase it wouldnt be just the 2 of us.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I knew it was too soon, but she would at least think about it when I asked her. Maybe if I wait another week I can ask her to meet again. The problem is this was a good excuse to meet me, bceuase it wouldnt be just the 2 of us.
It would probably be a better idea to be just the two of you, but no sex on the "first date".

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Is a thread like this even allowed? I'm just asking, not trying to be an ass,

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
My girlfriend broke up with me after 1 year. When she broke up with me, she said she was too sad about what had happened and she wouldn't get better. . She meant everything to me and she felt the same way about me. She still wanted to be with me and when I asked her if she would ever want to be with me again, she immediately said yes.

I first want to lay out the problems we had in our relationship ( which a lot of them were caused by me).

- space and trust: When we first started dating I heard story from my friends that she was kinda wild when she went abroad as an exchange student. This is something that bothered me a little, but I still wanted to date her. She was the one who liked me first and after my birthday party back then, I brought her home and then asked her out. At the beginning of the relationship she would text a particular guy a lot, a lot than me. If she opened her phone that guys face would show up. Another guy would also text her every now and then and she told me it was someone she knew from skating. After a while she told me about stuff that she dealt with in the past and it turned out that skating guy was her ex. This is an example of things she would hide from me and lie about. This caused me to not trust her completely and not give her enough space sometimes, because I asked a lot of attention from her.

- A second problem was that there was one time an argument got so heated, I told her I hated her. meant 0% of it and she knows this and I apologized for it. Still doesn't mean I hurt her and she couldn't forget about this.

In another argument we had I got so angry I pointed at her while arguing and I hit the bed. This got her intimidated, but getting violent with her wasn't even on my mind. I would never be like that. She means everything to me. These are things she can't forget about. I know some people might think that words like I hate you don't mean that much in a fight, but it hurt her a lot and people are different and it broke her heart.

- Her parents and me didn't get along. I am not a shy guy by definition, but there are people I do get along with and some people I don't get along with. And with the people I don't get along with it is really hard to communicate with. They have 6 dogs and I am just not a fan of dogs. Especially when I got bit by one when I was 4 years old. Her parents lives are all about dogs and doing things with dogs. So we really had nothing to talk about. Her mom would complain that me and my gf would just be in her room all the time and that it would be nice if we sat in the living room for an hour sometimes. The problem we did this, we would sit in the living room for 2 hours everytime and it still wasn't was enough for my stepmother, because with an hour, she really meant half a day. She couldn't accept the fact that I came by for her daughter and not for them. Then her mom got involved when me and my gf had a fight and things got really heated. We still gave it a chance after that, but things were really bad.

1,5 month after this big fight I tried really hard, but we still fought. Not heated fights, but we kept fighting about stuff she or I did. She tried to be happy, but it didn't work. She dropped the line: the one who broke you heart can't heal you. I said that isnt true and that it depends on the situation, because I was willing to change. Especially after 2 days she broke up with me, I did a lot of thinking and realised a lot of mistakes I made.

Its been almost a week since we broke up and I texted her the day after we broke up if she was okay and she said she didn't want to talk about it. I told her I hoped she would be doing better and she told me that was sweet.

3 days after the breakup she asked me if it was weird if she just wanted to talk. I told her it was fine if that was what she wanted. The conversation happened on whatsapp and it was about random stuff and not about the relationship. It was a positive conversation.

Yesterday I told her about the things I had done and that I realised I wasn't being grateful and that I realised that now and I thanked her for all she had done for me. She told me she was relieved and that it was really nice to hear this from me.
I also invited her for friday to dinner with my friends (mutual friends) and she liked the idea and she would think about it.

@Pig Of The Hut I know youre a married man, I know this is a really long write up, but I also know that you have helped a lot of people in this community and do take the effort to help people.

I don't know who else to tag @Slips @coolwhip @A F0xy Grampa
You're not gonna like my answer man

General rule: If theres a question regarding something like this then the answer usually is NO.

Relationships, long term dating and marriage without question all go through rough spots so when you start out and are having a plethora of issues already it will only get worse. More things will show face reigniting past issues. I honestly feel you need to move on.

Do what you want but when things are this cloudy it probably means because theres already a fire

You're not gonna like my answer man

General rule: If theres a question regarding something like this then the answer usually is NO.

Relationships, long term dating and marriage without question all go through rough spots so when you start out and are having a plethora of issues already it will only get worse. More things will show face reigniting past issues. I honestly feel you need to move on.

Do what you want but when things are this cloudy it probably means because theres already a fire
Thanks for the reply. I understand why you say this, but I can't give up now or I will regret it later. I still have to try.

I'd rather get hurt more than regret my decision.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Thanks for the reply. I understand why you say this, but I can't give up now or I will regret it later. I still have to try.

I'd rather get hurt more than regret my decision.
I can agree w that too. Better to have known than not at all

Go for it but if it doesn't work out again, Listen I'd save yourself a lot of pain and just walk away and move on. Use friends to help you thru

I can agree w that too. Better to have known than not at all

Go for it but if it doesn't work out again, Listen I'd save yourself a lot of pain and just walk away and move on. Use friends to help you thru
Yeh, I am already getting a lot of support from my family and friends. Appreciate your opinion, if we do get together and it doesn't work out again, I at least know I really tried.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
just stopped by to say this:
For as much of a shithole that TYM is, it's really nice to see that people in here are willing to help someone with real life problems. That's one of the main reasons I like the fighting game community, it's open to newcomers and, apart from some minor arguments, friendly.
edit: Oh and also the best of luck to @Big Pampering!