What's new

Armor Discussion

Since this is one of the more controversial issues in the game, I thought it might be a good idea for us as a community to hash out our thoughts on the matter so that hopefully NRS may take them into consideration when it's time for the next release, be it UMK9 or MK10.

How should armor be handled in future installments of the series? Should there be more of it? Less of it? Always Super-Armor? Never Super-Armor? Should every EX move get some armor? Should armor be removed completely?

For what my opinion's worth, I think a possible solution would be to remove armor as a base property of any EX move and instead give them all base advantageous properties (faster start-up, safer recovery, etc...) and add the option to add (super?) armor to any move at the cost of additional meter. Of course, I haven't fully thought this idea out and took into consideration how every character builds and uses meter, so that idea may not be viable. In any case, I feel like there should be less armor in general, or at the very least it should be more evenly distributed.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Armor should stay, but there should be more specific cases of invincibility, like strike and projectile invincibility.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Depends how the game plays, I feel like MK9 needs most of the armour because of the abundance of zoning characters and frametraps.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I think armour sucks and I think most of the moves that received armour in this game were given it because it was the most simplistic way of rebalancing characters. I fail to see why everybody who doesn't have a teleport gets armour to burst through Sub-Zero's ice clones when he has a lot of trouble with fast teleporters and lamers, I mean zoners... I just think it's a braindead fix for matchup issues and not just from a Sub-Zero player's perspective but from any perspective. I mean, why design Johnny Cage frame traps, the success of which depend upon making reads, and then give some characters an easier way out than others by tacking armour onto certain fast specials?

I'd rather see characters given better pokes and anti-airs in MK10.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Every character should have atleast one armor move. And make sure the special that gets it isn't a great move to being with. Example of this would be raidens 6 frame torpedo.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
The armour is okay, but per character I see a lots of lousy decisions. For example Cyrax: Why the hell his ex-anti air has armour and not his ex-ragdoll? I just fail to see the point...
However those armours should be distributed seeing the actual use of the move and not only randomly chose one, make some of them really useless, some of them too good compared to others. Okay, mostly Nrs got it right just a few poor decisions been made.
Still I aggree more with the first post on that if they give other options to make an ex safer with faster recovery, faster startup, being cancelable or some other property it would eliminate a lots of bullshit from the game.