What's new

Armed hate crime victim decides not to shoot attacker

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Earlier this week, a 24-year-old Tampa-area resident named Cameron Mohammed was walking with his girlfriend into Walmart at around 3 a.m. when the two were approached from behind by a 25-year-old named Daniel Quinnell. Quinnell allegedly yelled racial epithets at the two, then fired 20 shots at Mohammed with a pellet gun, striking him multiple times in the head and neck. Mohammed was armed, too — but with a real .45 caliber pistol. He chose not to shoot.

"I don't know. I just couldn't do it," Mohammed said, recovering at his Tampa home two days after the attack. "I couldn't blow this guy away for something he could change later in life. I'm not going to decide this man's fate."

The story is a bizarre, hard-to-reconcile mixture of both right and wrong. The genesis of the attack is something very, very far into the "wrong" column, and when coupled with the recent death of Sunando Sen in New York City, it illustrates just how terrifying America can still be for anyone that even in the vaguest terms codes to the ignorant as "Muslim."

Continue reading here and please offer your thoughts and opinions on this event
http://gawker.com/5973439/armed-hate-crime-victim-decides-not-to-shoot-attacker

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
he is a strong man, i wouldve blown his ass away and said he was asking for it.
or at least shot him in the leg and performed citizens arrest.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think it MAY have been different if the guy had a real gun, but a pellet gun(while somewhat hurtful) is not really a threat to your life. While a gun will seriously injure and possibly kill someone, which is why this guy decided not to shoot.

Like I said, props to this guy. I think he made the smart decision.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
It bugs me that this is labeled a hate crime.. Humans naturally pick on people for being different. We're just wired that way.

But yeah, I would've shot him...

Mr. Mohammed has a very strong moral compass; he is a good man and is undeserving of such things.

I cannot say I wouldn't have retaliated in this situation.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I think it MAY have been different if the guy had a real gun
yeah, 20 shots to the neck and head and that dude wouldn't have had a chance to make a choice of to shoot or not to shoot.

THANK GOODNESS it wasn't a real gun. Damn

I'd have probably turned and shot his vehicle a few times to scare the fucker off.

EDIT: And probably sued for vandalism after I was attacked. lol

Zoidberg747

It bugs me that this is labeled a hate crime.. Humans naturally pick on people for being different. We're just wired that way.

But yeah, I would've shot him...

That doesnt change the fact that it's a hate crime.

But you are right, we are wired that way(Some can control it better than others).

Shooting him would have gone too far.
However, I do think he should have at least pulled it on him, if only to demonstrate the kind of shit an idiot like him could get into. Maybe with a little luck he would wisen up down the road.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player

That doesnt change the fact that it's a hate crime.

But you are right, we are wired that way(Some can control it better than others).
Why does it need to be labeled that though? Hate crimes don't exist. Your reasoning behind the crime doesn't matter.

Zoidberg747

Why does it need to be labeled that though? Hate crimes don't exist. Your reasoning behind the crime doesn't matter.
We are also wired to have sex with any female we please to reproduct. Yet rape is a crime.

It is a crime based on hate, i.e hate crime. Really nothing wrong with calling it that.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
We are also wired to have sex with any female we please to reproduct. Yet rape is a crime.

It is a crime based on hate, i.e hate crime. Really nothing wrong with calling it that.
That's a dumb comparison. Rape is a crime. Shooting someone is a crime. There shouldn't be any special "sub crimes". You should be punished for the act ALONE. It doesn't matter what the guy's views are. That's thought police.

Zoidberg747

That's a dumb comparison. Rape is a crime. Shooting someone is a crime. There shouldn't be any special "sub crimes". You should be punished for the act ALONE. It doesn't matter what the guy's views are. That's thought police.
Its a different type of crime. Usually you dont have hate crimes unless the victim SPECIFICALLY states they did it for racial or other reasons of prejudice.

http://www.crimemuseum.org/library/hateCrime/punishmentForHateCrimes.html

It makes the crime more severe, but again it only applies if they can prove it(which 9/10 is the criminal confessing)

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I love people getting punished for thoughtcrimes that they act on. BOOHOO GEORGE ORWELL. Cry me a fucking river.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Because it attempts to bring justice for the emotional damage that hate crimes cause to not only a person (for being who they are), but for the entire community that the person represents. Hate crimes are a means to an end: a way to 'send a message' that if you look/act/are a certain way, you're subject to violence and/or torture. This type of emotional and dehumanizing terrorism is what hate crime laws are meant to deal with.

Zoidberg747

Because you literally have to be dumb enough to say "I did it because he was a _____"

If you hated someone and did the crime, but kept quiet about the fact that it was racial, no one can get you for hate crime because they can't prove it was racial.

SO if you are so up in arms about hate crimes, why dont you go tell criminals to shut the fuck up.

And while your at it, tell yourself the same thing.

kthnxbai

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Because you literally have to be dumb enough to say "I did it because he was a _____"

If you hated someone and did the crime, but kept quiet about the fact that it was racial, no one can get you for hate crime because they can't prove it was racial.

SO if you are so up in arms about hate crimes, why dont you go tell criminals to shut the fuck up.

And while your at it, tell yourself the same thing.

kthnxbai
BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT HE DID IT BECAUSE HE WAS A ____________

ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT HE COMMITTED THE CRIME. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT HE STATES THE REASON HE DID IT.

It doesn't even need to be "proven" that it's hateful. That's stupid.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Because it attempts to bring justice for the emotional damage that hate crimes cause to not only a person (for being who they are), but for the entire community that the person represents. Hate crimes are a means to an end: a way to 'send a message' that if you look/act/are a certain way, you're subject to violence and/or torture. This type of emotional and dehumanizing terrorism is what hate crime laws are meant to deal with.
I've never thought about it that way.. but I still retain my opinion. I still think the crime alone is what deserves punishement

aj1701

Noob
Shooting him would have gone too far.
However, I do think he should have at least pulled it on him, if only to demonstrate the kind of shit an idiot like him could get into. Maybe with a little luck he would wisen up down the road.
Yes, shooting would have been too far, and I also think pulling the gun would be appropriate. He guy was being assaulted, if the attacker is willing to shoot pellets, what else would he be willing to do?

Also I dislike the notion of hate crimes. Murder is wrong; I don't see how it gets more wrong because you murdered due to racial bias instead of robbery or because you're a nut. They also seem like they aren't applied equally; has anyone ever had the hate crime modifier added because a black guy killed a white guy?

EDIT: Someone above said it's because hate crimes are meant to be a message. I don't think that's always true, and the HC modifier has been added because the criminal said a non-PC word (even if robbery was in fact the main motive).