What's new

Anyone using MB uppercut?

Putting it in general because I'm not sure if there's some character where it makes sense. I know the "theory" is that it's a bit like the uppercut KB from 11 as a massive callout and damage swing, but I haven't found anything on anyone that's really making me think it's worth the cost? Still, I suck, so anyone got some labwork they want to share or is this something they're going to need to consider tweaking?

CipherJ

Noob
I can’t think of a situation where a mb uppercut is better than a bnb punish combo. May be an anti-air mb uppercut on reaction for round close out or desperation move?

Agilaz

It has begun
There's pretty much no reason to use it since a bunch of kameos give you a combo off a d2 if you really want it. So not worth the 2 bars unless it'll kill and you have no other resources

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
In a pinch, it could help you but it only works when you punish highs, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the mechanic, as any sort of scenario that an uppercut works -> a high/mid would work as well

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I can’t think of a situation where a mb uppercut is better than a bnb punish combo. May be an anti-air mb uppercut on reaction for round close out or desperation move?
I don't think it works against jump ins only on kounter or punish I believe

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Good distinction, so 2 bar d2MB for AA is still kinda not worth it but maybe for some circumstances?? Not sure
Still not really worth it. You can convert of d2s with Kameo sonya, goro, or scorpion. Most people also have better anti-air options; and there’s up-block.

It does have a very niche use I guess, but it’s so expensive. Maybe if d2s didn’t scale as much? But I can’t seem to get more than 30ish percent off one when (with Li Mei for example) I can get 40%+ for no/one bar off a s1

CipherJ

Noob
Doesn’t work on neutral jump but on jump in attacks it does.
Wow. What a half ass mechanic IMO. May be this would be worth it at 1 bar in any situation, but works situationally? Baffling.

Krushing Blows were kind of interesting. They were situational almost like a counter hit in other games. I wish they would have been a small damage boost with an opportunity for a little more damage based on skill and resources spent.

Last edited:
Yeah the intended purpose was supposedly to recreate the hard read situation in mk11 where you uppercut a throw attempt for huge damage, but uh....it's not exactly leading to anything like that in my limited test. You're pretty much always better just spending the 2 bars normally on a normal punish combo and that's without kameo.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Not really. Firstly you have to have a character with a decent aa d2. Then the situation just about has to be “if I use 2 bars to do this EX d2 combo, it will kill or force a break”. It just seems so expensive for what you’re getting out of it. Also, most players aren’t even going to be jumping at you all that often. With jump in attacks scaling in damage, there not being very many super good zoning characters, and being able to dash block, you’re seeing less jump in attempts in this game, imo, compared to previous ones.

I honestly think it should only cost 1 bar. Otherwise I doubt we’ll be seeing it utilized very often. ¯\(ツ)

Putting it in general because I'm not sure if there's some character where it makes sense. I know the "theory" is that it's a bit like the uppercut KB from 11 as a massive callout and damage swing, but I haven't found anything on anyone that's really making me think it's worth the cost? Still, I suck, so anyone got some labwork they want to share or is this something they're going to need to consider tweaking?
How do you mb uppercut? Slap r2 with d2?

As far as I can tell-

1. Hit with a counterhit uppercut.
  2. Hold up forward and hit Block
  3. Watch 2 bars vanish for questionable gain.
That is incredibly hard to perform for me. And 2 bars? Jeez. I cant imagine doing that in a sweaty match. My brain just doesnt send signals to my hands that fast. Which characters get full combo optimals from aerials?

EDIT: got 225 with an unoptimal raiden combo into electric fly off it. I can see it's use to close a round if u need 20% to kill with 2 bars just sitting there. The pros will likely figure out a way to swag it out as the first hit of a match and melt out eyes with all that heat. I'm curious to see more of this tech, ngl.

EDIT2: in corner people will 100% full combo depending on character. Jesus I love this game.

Last edited:

CipherJ

Noob
I maintain, MB uppercuts were put in the game so casuals who think an uppercut is the only thing you can do as a punish can feel hype with their following 3-hit air combo.

And that’s fine.
It is for legacy players who remember MK2 fondly. “What do I do after ‘Come here!’”—uppercut of course. “I can now combo after uppercut? Cool!”