What's new

Anti- Zoners in MKX?

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
If they don't give Scorpion at least two low-mid-high-spear and mid-high-low-spear combos then we can be assured he'll suck again in MKX the way he did in MK9 with his useless two-hit forward,4,3 that should have linked into a spear. Because his spear is still slow on recovery and his hellfire is maaaad telegraphic and probably not linkable to combo.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So are we ignoring Jin and Ermac are clearly Zoners?

i see Erron and Kenshi being too
plus JC Stunt Double looks pretty Zoney
I think the issue is no character has 3 variations that are all projectile based. My guess is either Erron or Kenshi, maybe even Shinnok, will be like that.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Let's see if Takeda reflects low projectiles and let's see if a simple Down 4 will shut down a teleport like in MK9. NRS hasn't showed what some of us really want to see. Like 3-hit launchers and block openers. I haven't seen not one 3-hit (low-mid-spear) launcher for Scorpion yet-like Batman's Back-1,1,3. All we've seen is loads of blockable high hits and two hit hard knockdown lows.
My point was he, as many others, have a plethora of either anti-zoning tools or strong rushdown capabilities. Takeda's teleport alone looks to be a mid hitting, near instant after the duck animation, fastest behind Raiden, combo off a low hit in its EX version, combo off an overhead in its air version teleport. I'd say that alone is a pretty strong anti-zoning tool.

As far as seeing attacks link into spear, well it is a quickly demo'do variation trailer. For all we know he could have a lightning quick low/oh/low/oh/spear combo. No way to know that until we get our hands on the game. Though looking at the tools many characters who's strings have been shown, there's a high chance he has something along the lines you mentioned. Can only guess how strong he'll be this early, but he does not have the looks of someone who will be "weak".

I think the issue is no character has 3 variations that are all projectile based. My guess is either Erron or Kenshi, maybe even Shinnok, will be like that.
Yes. That is my issue exactly. There is not a single dedicated zoner across 3 variations.

There are characters who keep a base and have variations increase their potential. Ex: Reptile.

There are characters that appear almost impossible to zone. Ex: Raiden.

There are characters who were GIVEN tools they never had to help against zoning. Ex: Kitana.

Yet not one zoning character revealed has been given this type of treatment.

No character seems very hard to rush down. No character has 3 variations focused on increasing their zoning tools. No zoning character was given a free move they never had that is solely there to counter Rushdown.

Hell, even a step further. Dashing forward is free, but backdashing uses half a stamina bar. You can run forward, cancel dashes into run, block from run, but you can't run backwards. Projectiles are slower. Stages are smaller. Etc etc etc100x.

Haven't been as hype for a game like MKX since TTT2, but if there is one beef I have it's the blatant and obvious attempt to decrease zoning in this game. Unfortunately for them though, I'll find a way to do what I do best with little regard to this attempted sabotage. Zone.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yes. That is my issue exactly. There is not a single dedicated zoner across 3 variations.
It doesn't matter if there's 1 zoner out of 3 characters or if there are 3 characters with 1 zoning variation on each. It's literally the same.

There are characters that appear almost impossible to zone. Ex: Raiden.
It's only one variation, the rest look pretty honest against heavy zoning, not to mention that we already have precedent of MK9 Raiden who wasn't exactly getting in for free on everyone.

There are characters who were GIVEN tools they never had to help against zoning. Ex: Kitana.
One of these tools was given to the variation that also received additional tools that happen to be zoning tools. And then there's the third variation that gives you nothing but 3 different extra projectiles and a special with extra reach, I wonder how do I call that...

That's ignoring neat things like Johnny Cage becoming Kenshi wannabe, but of course playing spacing game with long-reaching tools to capitalize on opponent's mistake once he gets hit and smack him while he's down is not a legit spacing game. Apparently it's only zoning if you don't get your hands dirty or something.

And for the record: we don't know if Stunt Double is even capable up close without what looks like extra pressure tools JC only gets in other variations.

No character has 3 variations focused on increasing their zoning tools.
Hello? Takeda? Kung Jin? Ermac? Just because you don't zone from fullscreen in all variations and you may need setups to stay at comfortable range doesn't mean you don't zone at all. For the record, teleport is a zoning tool as much as it is keepaway counter and may even be more useful as the former, depending on frame data and hitboxes.

No zoning character was given a free move they never had that is solely there to counter Rushdown.
That's a small one but still: what some character had and didn't have is quite irrelevant. Toolsets of any given game may as well be isolated and treated as such. Comparisons to the past won't do any good, especially with NRS games that will never leave a single normal the same.

Hell, even a step further. Dashing forward is free, but backdashing uses half a stamina bar. You can run forward, cancel dashes into run, block from run, but you can't run backwards. Projectiles are slower. Stages are smaller. Etc etc etc100x.

Haven't been as hype for a game like MKX since TTT2, but if there is one beef I have it's the blatant and obvious attempt to decrease zoning in this game. Unfortunately for them though, I'll find a way to do what I do best with little regard to this attempted sabotage. Zone.
On the contrary, I see a great deal of spacing game in MKX. Except it will now be just beyond sweep range and from halfscreen, using more than 3 moves and very setup-heavy, and movement system only ensures that neither side has several attempts at pulling their tricks off without being put at disadvantage without some backup plan. Pretty much like in every other FG.

It may end up truly glorious. NRS, don't screw this one up.

P.S. And don't worry, you'll probably get your fullscreen zoners anyways for NRS loves them and knows how to make them. They just didn't show them to us yet because we all know that NRS playerbase if full of people with irrational emotions towards this playstyle.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It took me a while to decide if you were trolling me and if I should respond or not, but I don't think you'd write that much to troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and respond.

It doesn't matter if there's 1 zoner out of 3 characters or if there are 3 characters with 1 zoning variation on each. It's literally the same.
Incorrect. It 100% matters and is in no way whatsoever the same. It matters because it impacts the design of the character and how effective their zoning will be built. I can't even address this if you cannot see that.

It's only one variation, the rest look pretty honest against heavy zoning, not to mention that we already have precedent of MK9 Raiden who wasn't exactly getting in for free on everyone.
I agree it is only one variation, but that's all he needs. Raiden players would literally Match up like "oh he's gonna zone? Let me pick my Displacer where they clearly beefed up his teleport from MK9 to be more effective". That teleport and Takeda's have nearly zero recovery frames. It's all he needs to dead zoning. Projectile recovery is too slow in MKX to counter Displacer.

One of these tools was given to the variation that also received additional tools that happen to be zoning tools. And then there's the third variation that gives you nothing but 3 different extra projectiles and a special with extra reach, I wonder how do I call that...
Doesn't change the fact that she was given a free anti-zoning tool, and her 3rd variation is not "extra tools", it is basically a variation replacing her "original moves" with "Jade". Also evades my original point. There have been "new" things like fireballs and crap but not a single anti-rushdown tool added to any zoners move set. Meanwhile multiple anti-zoning tools specifically designed for that have been added to others.

That's ignoring neat things like Johnny Cage becoming Kenshi wannabe, but of course playing spacing game with long-reaching tools to capitalize on opponent's mistake once he gets hit and smack him while he's down is not a legit spacing game. Apparently it's only zoning if you don't get your hands dirty or something.

And for the record: we don't know if Stunt Double is even capable up close without what looks like extra pressure tools JC only gets in other variations.
Instant run in for pressure after knockdown. No one is going to choose to stay 3/4 of the screen away. If we're going to call Johnny Cage a "zoner" we cannot have this conversation.

Hello? Takeda? Kung Jin? Ermac? Just because you don't zone from fullscreen in all variations and you may need setups to stay at comfortable range doesn't mean you don't zone at all. For the record, teleport is a zoning tool as much as it is keepaway counter and may even be more useful as the former, depending on frame data and hitboxes.
Ermac 2 zoning variations irrelevant to the other. Not strengthening either. Takeda doesn't have 3 zoning variations. Kung Jin has 1. As I stated multiple times I'm waiting to see guys like Freddy and Zod, not a couple of Aquaman's and be content with that being the only zoning available. I ask, why is it ok for so many characters to have 3 full variations focused on making their rushdown, brawling, etc styles better, but as of now not ONE single zoner can have this treatment???

Also, a teleport is a "better zoning tool than anti-zoning tool"??? I think Dave just died of a heart attack reading that. Not even entertaining a statement that ridiculous.

That's a small one but still: what some character had and didn't have is quite irrelevant. Toolsets of any given game may as well be isolated and treated as such. Comparisons to the past won't do any good, especially with NRS games that will never leave a single normal the same.
Don't care. If anything you made my point. Rushdown players are getting massive love with the new changes and additions while zoners are getting "hey here's a new fireball" or "hey how you like this bat" or "hey your 3rd variation is rushdown". Look at it objectively and you see it's bs and unfair to the playstyle any way you look at it.

On the contrary, I see a great deal of spacing game in MKX. Except it will now be just beyond sweep range and from halfscreen, using more than 3 moves and very setup-heavy, and movement system only ensures that neither side has several attempts at pulling their tricks off without being put at disadvantage without some backup plan. Pretty much like in every other FG.

It may end up truly glorious. NRS, don't screw this one up.
They've made obvious changes to hinder 3/4 to full screen zoning. I gave you a bunch of examples. What examples make zoning better?? For any one you name I can name three that don't. One of the things I loved about MK9 and Injustice is that I was able to zone those distances if I was on top of my game, and a mistake could get you blown up. Everyone has different taste, and I much more enjoy watching a Good Zod dominate from range than I do Batgirl making people "guess if they block high or low" for full combos that loop. So for me no, I don't feel like it's a glorious direction at all.

P.S. And don't worry, you'll probably get your fullscreen zoners anyways for NRS loves them and knows how to make them. They just didn't show them to us yet because we all know that NRS playerbase if full of people with irrational emotions towards this playstyle.
Will I? It wouldn't shock me if they toned Kenshi down to a crappy frames, slow projectile, armorless piece of garbage tier at this point. Obviously I hope that's not the case. I'm hoping since zoning makes many so salty that so they saved them for last, and made them powerful like these other characters, but until I see something that says otherwise I'll remain skeptical.

D

Deleted member 9158

From what I've seen almost every character has an anti-zoning ability.

Could this be the death of zoning in MK?

NHDR

Noob
Let's wait and see gameplay, first. Kenshi, Erron Black, Kung Jin, Shinnok, and whoever else all have the possibility of being zoners.

Kenshi - same as MK9
Erron Black - gun shot variation
Kung Jin - projectile variation (is it called ancestry?)
Shinnok - unsure but going based on old MK games
Sub-Zero - space control with the ice clone
Ermac - same as MK9
Takeda - whip variation that allows him to control the mid-range

I'm nervous about zoning being wrecked, too. But let's wait it out first. Maybe there won't be anything akin to MK9 Kabal, for example, but zoning could still be powerful. I'm in the "wait and see" camp.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
i think it has more to do with NRS loving teleports more than trying to systematically destroy zoning.

i find it funny this argument stems from "fuck i cant keep them at the distance i want" which is probably along the lines every person whose fought AGAINST a zoaner has thought.

plus JC Stunt Double looks pretty Zoney
No. Just no. The startup on his stunt double move clearly requires a KD, and unless he's going to play like ryu with fireball spam into a punish for KD and then a setup, I don't see it. That whole thing screams "rush them down and then get safe specials to keep up pressure"

As for the rest, I don't get it. Potential zoners-

Shinnok- Rumors of shang like playstyle....your call on what you want to consider that.

Quan- at least 2 of his variations have zoning potential.

Kano- Knife knife knife, ball, knife

Radien- at least one variation

Sub- I think he's going to be mostly zoner.

Ermac- at least 2 zoning styles. Flight might actually be one as well.

Millena- Arguably 2 styles at least.

Erron Black- i'd be shocked if he isn't some mixture of lobo and deathstroke.

Takeda- BUILT TO ZONE. I'd argue all 3 styles just given the range on his normals alone. Just because he can maybe punish with TP's doesn't mean he still can't screw you from insane range.

Cassie- she's got the guns and the missiles. I could see it.

Dvorah- she's got a LOT of sinestro vibes. I could absolutely see it.

Kung- If only one of his styles can zone i'll be shocked. I see potential for at least 2, if not all 3, to be primarily zoning styles. Just a question of how all in he is and in what way they work.

Kenshi- I would be surprised if he doesn't have at least one.

Bonus round:

Jason- you wouldn't think so, but freddy was, so maybe (i personally hope not as it wouldn't fit, but you never know).

Predator- CLEARLY has the potential for it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It's pretty late here and I'm not thinking clearly, so apologize for a ton of possible grammatical errors and sucky stylistics.

Incorrect. It 100% matters and is in no way whatsoever the same. It matters because it impacts the design of the character and how effective their zoning will be built. I can't even address this if you cannot see that.
It may be for the better or worse. You don't have too much tools for zoning if a couple of them is enough. Say, if it's only one variation that zone well, it will be effective regardless of what others do. They, in fact, may have universal tools that don't work well for anything but that zone variation.

I agree it is only one variation, but that's all he needs. Raiden players would literally Match up like "oh he's gonna zone? Let me pick my Displacer where they clearly beefed up his teleport from MK9 to be more effective". That teleport and Takeda's have nearly zero recovery frames. It's all he needs to dead zoning. Projectile recovery is too slow in MKX to counter Displacer.
Good zoning variation is also the only one that zoner may need if others don't work for zoning or even anything.
Teleport may or may not be beefier, same for Takeda's one. Remember MK9 where Raiden's teleport recovery was like 10 frames longer than post-flash animation. New teleports of Raiden aren't anti-zoning tools either. New ex-TP may end up worse due to worse ability to mess with players that wait to punish (it looks the same, but without misdirecting flash), and additional teleports are situational against strong zoners at best.

As for projectiles - MK9 ones are very slow too and Raiden works extremely well... And then IAGB and Kenshi happened.

Doesn't change the fact that she was given a free anti-zoning tool, and her 3rd variation is not "extra tools", it is basically a variation replacing her "original moves" with "Jade". Also evades my original point. There have been "new" things like fireballs and crap but not a single anti-rushdown tool added to any zoners move set. Meanwhile multiple anti-zoning tools specifically designed for that have been added to others.
My point was that reflect is only on Kitana's zoning variation. It doesn't make the game less zoning-favourable, at least not more than reflect on Kenshi did. Adding more zoning counters won't do any more "good" to kill zoning as adding more slow fireballs won't kill up-close game.

Instant run in for pressure after knockdown. No one is going to choose to stay 3/4 of the screen away. If we're going to call Johnny Cage a "zoner" we cannot have this conversation.
Yes, he will pressure on knockdown, but it doesn't mean he is a rushdown.
Milia from GG is exactly that - she isn't up-close monster, all she has is mid-range tools which means she can't afford to be up close and must zone. However, once she scores a knockdown, you are in the grinder. She will lockdown you with her traps (unuseable in neutral, but work well on KD) and try to mix up you with short normals. Oki pressure pretty much. Once you've shaken her off, she must go back to her zoning. So basically it's a zoning that is rewarded by vortex-like situations and pressure instead of just combo damage, but essentially that doesn't change much in her neutral game.
Stunt double may end up the same. KD pressure (if it's good even) is just a form in which he gets his reward.

Ermac 2 zoning variations irrelevant to the other. Not strengthening either. Takeda doesn't have 3 zoning variations. Kung Jin has 1. As I stated multiple times I'm waiting to see guys like Freddy and Zod, not a couple of Aquaman's and be content with that being the only zoning available. I ask, why is it ok for so many characters to have 3 full variations focused on making their rushdown, brawling, etc styles better, but as of now not ONE single zoner can have this treatment???
So in the end it's a matter of naming convention and the fact that you want particular style of zoning (that's the only style that is called "zoning" by NRS crowd, I know * ), I see. I am pretty sure that you will get what you want though.

I also don't agree with your argument that characters get improvements to their base rushdonw abilities, but not to zoning. Yes, there are things like Cutthroat, but who is to say that his vanilla up close game is not Kano-tier in other variations? Essentially, he is "given" up close game to speak about in this one. Then there's Mystic that is straight vanilla set that doesn't burn meter for conversions and have better reach.
Ofc you can say that it isn't improvement, but it just enables his zoning. As you can see, in bother cases it's just a matter of where we draw the baseline.

As for counting zoning styles of the same character, it's about naming conventions again. Kung Jin may have just 1 style with emphasis on projectile, but what he gains in other variations doesn't look like something to make him want to be as close as possible to me. He just gains either better fullscreen tools, better medium range tools or medium range tools with less oomp, more setups (it seems).

* - I mean, Bison (SF) or Nightmare (SC) don't have anything resembling projectiles, but they aren't rushdowns by any means. You never want anybody up close with them. It's just NRS community arbitrary dividing pretty similar things into 2 arbitrary categories - zoning and "footsies".

Also, a teleport is a "better zoning tool than anti-zoning tool"??? I think Dave just died of a heart attack reading that. Not even entertaining a statement that ridiculous.
Refer to SG's Peacock. Her teleport is to convert her zoning into combos and to open people up while they are firmly under her fullscreen lockdown setups. Can be used for some gimmicky read punishes, but that's it. Use if to get onto zoning opponent without outzoning him first - and you will end up in very bad situation. So in that sense, her teleport is way worse for anti-zoning than for supplementing her zoning game - because of its properties and context of her other tools. Same may or may not be applicable to MKX characters, including S-R Takeda. We will see how he will play out, but to me it looks like he's getting a pair of conversion tools (one into combo, another into pressure?) for his spacing game. He sacrifices potency of his neutral for that (because he isn't Lasher) and setups (not jedi wannabe), but it may still be more of an asset to his main game more than anything. Ofc teleport may end up a tool against fullscreen zoning, just as his reflect is. It won't make him a rushdown is he isn't already capable in that role.

All is theory ofc.

Don't care. If anything you made my point. Rushdown players are getting massive love with the new changes and additions while zoners are getting "hey here's a new fireball" or "hey how you like this bat" or "hey your 3rd variation is rushdown". Look at it objectively and you see it's bs and unfair to the playstyle any way you look at it.
But what if those fireballs and bats will actually be useful to keep bull rushers honest?
As of NRS not providing enough flavours of traditional NRS zoning... I'll be honest too - with their track record you will probably have the best char+var for fullscreen zoning, best up-close game char+var... And a bunch of compromises and tradeoff toolsets. Making more characters that share same playstyle will only make their rank suffer from redundancy more.

They've made obvious changes to hinder 3/4 to full screen zoning. I gave you a bunch of examples. What examples make zoning better?? For any one you name I can name three that don't. One of the things I loved about MK9 and Injustice is that I was able to zone those distances if I was on top of my game, and a mistake could get you blown up. Everyone has different taste, and I much more enjoy watching a Good Zod dominate from range than I do Batgirl making people "guess if they block high or low" for full combos that loop. So for me no, I don't feel like it's a glorious direction at all.
I agree that I'd rather watch Pig's Zod than anyone's BG. But honestly, when IAZBs work (exactly the reason I found Pig more entertaining is that he uses entire arsenal and I didn't see him using ball+laser walls even when they could work), he becomes as braindead as BG's vortex. In that sense I liked Raven and MMH's zoning (not everything else about him...) more. That's why I cheer up for direction towards spacing games. Both universal fullscreen tools and auto-open-open-people-up-close are boring to me.
But as I've said, I really, really wish NRS will not screw up with whatever they are doing.

Will I? It wouldn't shock me if they toned Kenshi down to a crappy frames, slow projectile, armorless piece of garbage tier at this point. Obviously I hope that's not the case. I'm hoping since zoning makes many so salty that so they saved them for last, and made them powerful like these other characters, but until I see something that says otherwise I'll remain skeptical.
I, for one, am waiting for him to occupy the niche he had before. But let's don't pretend he wasn't way more than just a zoner in MK9 with his almost top normals and armor on everything.
I am curious how will NRS make a character that is good at range, not that good up close - while not getting beaten up for free once someone gets in. No need for any more coinflip polarized matches IMO.

P.S. Now, can we please stop with this passive-aggressive tone? I admit I've done that too in my previous post, so it's fair to get some of my medicine in return, but in the end we both want diversity and return on some playstyles that aren't well represented so far. I admit that without it this game won't be truly complete. Thanks for an opportunity of in-depth discussion too. Those are scarce right now due to lack of real info to discuss. Gonna last 'till MKX release, I guess.

P.P.S. Oh shit... I tried to re-read this and it's indeed a grammatical mess with a lot of typos. I apologize again, I hope it isn't too bad because I really can't afford to fix all that right now.

Last edited:

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
It's pretty late here and I'm not thinking clearly, so apologize for a ton of possible grammatical errors and sucky stylistics.

It may be for the better or worse. You don't have too much tools for zoning if a couple of them is enough. Say, if it's only one variation that zone well, it will be effective regardless of what others do. They, in fact, may have universal tools that don't work well for anything but that zone variation.

Good zoning variation is also the only one that zoner may need if others don't work for zoning or even anything.
Teleport may or may not be beefier, same for Takeda's one. Remember MK9 where Raiden's teleport recovery was like 10 frames longer than post-flash animation. New teleports of Raiden aren't anti-zoning tools either. New ex-TP may end up worse due to worse ability to mess with players that wait to punish (it looks the same, but without misdirecting flash), and additional teleports are situational against strong zoners at best.

As for projectiles - MK9 ones are very slow too and Raiden works extremely well... And then IAGB and Kenshi happened.

My point was that reflect is only on Kitana's zoning variation. It doesn't make the game less zoning-favourable, at least not more than reflect on Kenshi did. Adding more zoning counters won't do any more "good" to kill zoning as adding more slow fireballs won't kill up-close game.

Yes, he will pressure on knockdown, but it doesn't mean he is a rushdown.
Milia from GG is exactly that - she isn't up-close monster, all she has is mid-range tools which means she can't afford to be up close and must zone. However, once she scores a knockdown, you are in the grinder. She will lockdown you with her traps (unuseable in neutral, but work well on KD) and try to mix up you with short normals. Oki pressure pretty much. Once you've shaken her off, she must go back to her zoning. So basically it's a zoning that is rewarded by vortex-like situations and pressure instead of just combo damage, but essentially that doesn't change much in her neutral game.
Stunt double may end up the same. KD pressure (if it's good even) is just a form in which he gets his reward.

So in the end it's a matter of naming convention and the fact that you want particular style of zoning (that's the only style that is called "zoning" by NRS crowd, I know * ), I see. I am pretty sure that you will get what you want though.

I also don't agree with your argument that characters get improvements to their base rushdonw abilities, but not to zoning. Yes, there are things like Cutthroat, but who is to say that his vanilla up close game is not Kano-tier in other variations? Essentially, he is "given" up close game to speak about in this one. Then there's Mystic that is straight vanilla set that doesn't burn meter for conversions and have better reach.
Ofc you can say that it isn't improvement, but it just enables his zoning. As you can see, in bother cases it's just a matter of where we draw the baseline.

As for counting zoning styles of the same character, it's about naming conventions again. Kung Jin may have just 1 style with emphasis on projectile, but what he gains in other variations doesn't look like something to make him want to be as close as possible to me. He just gains either better fullscreen tools, better medium range tools or medium range tools with less oomp, more setups (it seems).

* - I mean, Bison (SF) or Nightmare (SC) don't have anything resembling projectiles, but they aren't rushdowns by any means. You never want anybody up close with them. It's just NRS community arbitrary dividing pretty similar things into 2 arbitrary categories - zoning and "footsies".

Refer to SG's Peacock. Her teleport is to convert her zoning into combos and to open people up while they are firmly under her fullscreen lockdown setups. Can be used for some gimmicky read punishes, but that's it. Use if to get onto zoning opponent without outzoning him first - and you will end up in very bad situation. So in that sense, her teleport is way worse for anti-zoning than for supplementing her zoning game - because of its properties and context of her other tools. Same may or may not be applicable to MKX characters, including S-R Takeda. We will see how he will play out, but to me it looks like he's getting a pair of conversion tools (one into combo, another into pressure?) for his spacing game. He sacrifices potency of his neutral for that (because he isn't Lasher) and setups (not jedi wannabe), but it may still be more of an asset to his main game more than anything. Ofc teleport may end up a tool against fullscreen zoning, just as his reflect is. It won't make him a rushdown is he isn't already capable in that role.

All is theory ofc.

But what if those fireballs and bats will actually be useful to keep bull rushers honest?
As of NRS not providing enough flavours of traditional NRS zoning... I'll be honest too - with their track record you will probably have the best char+var for fullscreen zoning, best up-close game char+var... And a bunch of compromises and tradeoff toolsets. Making more characters that share same playstyle will only make their rank suffer from redundancy more.

I agree that I'd rather watch Pig's Zod than anyone's BG. But honestly, when IAZBs work (exactly the reason I found Pig more entertaining is that he uses entire arsenal and I didn't see him using ball+laser walls even when they could work), he becomes as braindead as BG's vortex. In that sense I liked Raven and MMH's zoning (not everything else about him...) more. That's why I cheer up for direction towards spacing games. Both universal fullscreen tools and auto-open-open-people-up-close are boring to me.
But as I've said, I really, really wish NRS will not screw up with whatever they are doing.

I, for one, am waiting for him to occupy the niche he had before. But let's don't pretend he wasn't way more than just a zoner in MK9 with his almost top normals and armor on everything.
I am curious how will NRS make a character that is good at range, not that good up close - while not getting beaten up for free once someone gets in. No need for any more coinflip polarized matches IMO.

P.S. Now, can we please stop with this passive-aggressive tone? I admit I've done that too in my previous post, so it's fair to get some of my medicine in return, but in the end we both want diversity and return on some playstyles that aren't well represented so far. I admit that without it this game won't be truly complete. Thanks for an opportunity of in-depth discussion too. Those are scarce right now due to lack of real info to discuss. Gonna last 'till MKX release, I guess.

P.P.S. Oh shit... I tried to re-read this and it's indeed a grammatical mess with a lot of typos. I apologize again, I hope it isn't too bad because I really can't afford to fix all that right now.
Nobody asked for your life story

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure Takeda's Lasher variation is zoned based.

EDIT; Most of you are under the assumption zoning is just throwing out projectiles lol. There is a lot more to zoning than that.

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think it comes down to variations and peoples own systems and schemes in "thinking" and baiting people out of their comfortable way of zoning and all the other trimmings that go along with this new game.

Me personally I never liked playing it safe too often and preferred to rush or mix up my opponents but MKX really doe's reminds me of MK Deception. Just in re invention of the old branch styles. These variations for each character should be able to full stop zoning or force you to play more aggressively then one player would rather not do if these variations were not in the game. It would be just another MK9 or Tekken or even SF4 type game. The great people at NetherRealm did a fantastic job of rehashing a old concept in a very new way to kombat most peoples kind of play style. Kitana's Assassin variation would have a great degree of difficulty against Kung Jin's Ancestral variation but it works both ways. Kung Jin's Shaolin could have a pretty bad match up against Kitana's Royal Storm where its clearly ground n pound vs juggles and a terrific air game with Kitana controlling the half the stage to completely dominating it by just using the lack of air move Kung Jin's variation would not be able to over come... Then again like I said depending on your zoning and the inability to not auto zone. Like not being able to slide or teleport n shit. An individuals play style.

That's just my lil nickel about it. Variations and people's pure skills and techniques. They changed the way of thinking the Mortal Kombat is nothing but button mashing. There is A LOT more involvement of intelligence, execution & tech or schemes you know footies n shit, involved now more then ever before that I've seen in quite a few years.

Sorry its so long. My apologies, But I care about MK.
Great topic!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
No sweat. It's the points that matter anyway. Going to shorten some of these to just the parts I mainly disagree with.

There are a couple of characters that have a pure 3 variations of clean rushdown/pressure game in different ways. Why does no zoner have this same treatment as of yet? Why would zoning players be happy about these developments?

True it's junping the gun saying something will be "impossible" to deal with. But I highly doubt they gave Raiden an entire variation based around his teleport while advertising how good it was, for it to be, well, not good. Takeda has 4 teleports, 2 which full combo on EX. I don't even have to know anything else to know that it will be useful.

Projectiles, multiple unrelated sources have already stated that projectiles are slower and more punishable than both MK9 and Injustice. Another development that zoners wouldn't be excited about.

Adding more zoning counters won't do any more "good" to kill zoning
Would be nice to get some of those rushdown counters and see if they don't help out.

*Argument saying Johnny Cage is a zoner.
:DOGE

Correct. I hope so. Still waiting on evidence from NRS though.

It's is. It makes a character a specialist in something. If you don't agree, then name one zoning character revealed that has 3 variations increasing their zoning capabilities like a few rushdown characters have. Just one.

Staff variation is about as zoning as NW staff was.

Agree. I consider zoning in a NRS game a different definition than footsies, as do many.

All is theory ofc.
I know nothing of Skullgirls. On the games I do know that have teleports, the most ridiculous statement you've said is a teleport is more a zoning tool than anti-zoning tool. I mained Raven for two years and never once considered her teleport a "zoning tool". But every character I faced with a teleport used it to get inside my zoning. I'm upset that I even have to explain that a teleport is a counter to zoning much more than it is for zoning.

From what we've seen it looks more like they're going for the "give most the cast a little of everything" than specialist. There might be a couple per playstyle that are pure specialist but I doubt more than that. Just waiting on that zoning specialist. Possible though.

That's where preferences come in. I rather watch Armor IAZB a full match than damn near anything. It's just that my preference is in the minority, and I'm assuming that's why it's being weeded out.

Yea Kenshi was ridiculous in MK9, I'll give you that. Though I'm sure there will be ridiculous characters in MKX. Fingers crossed he isn't watered down to oblivion.

Agreed. Unless you're calling Johnny a zoner or a teleport a main zoning tool that is. :DOGE

Kitana and kung laos parrys might be an issue because they also have their own legit zoning, smokes parry made sense because his projectile had no chip and it was easy to jump and block, and his normals are easy to block due to the lack of legit low attacks (d3/4 smokebomb and sweep cant be used all day) if a char has legit projectiles as well as parries isnt anti zoning its just zoning that you cant zone back at. This is why kenshi was nonsense in most matchups, he got to be a dick but you couldnt play like a dick back at him

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
As far as seeing attacks link into spear, well it is a quickly demo'do variation trailer. For all we know he could have a lightning quick low/oh/low/oh/spear combo. No way to know that until we get our hands on the game. Though looking at the tools many characters who's strings have been shown, there's a high chance he has something along the lines you mentioned. Can only guess how strong he'll be this early, but he does not have the looks of someone who will be "weak".

That's what I'm seeing so far with Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Reptile. Ermac has already shown a good low-mid-forcepush/force lift standing block opener. But if Scorpion is to be a compatible character at all in this new game, he going to need at least two standing block openers that link into a spear. Because those down 3s and down 4s look already useless as pokes. I don't why Derik always does a low kick into a spear only after a teleport hit, I wish he would do a straight 3-hit spear combo. He doesn't do it because I'm assuming Scorpion wasn't given that option, which would be catastrophic and only place him in the garbage tier. My ultimate question is, why do they keep making their poster-boy character so damn weak! They didn't make Batman weak.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
There are a couple of characters that have a pure 3 variations of clean rushdown/pressure game in different ways. Why does no zoner have this same treatment as of yet? Why would zoning players be happy about these developments?
Well, as I've said before, I'm more a "90 characters" guy than "30 characters * 3 variations" dude. While not faultless (e.g. Reptile), this approach is fairly practical, in that if I want to zone somebody, I will pick up the best toolset for a matchup even if it's more effort to learn than just take another variation that you know at least normals/combos thereof. The latter will be a crutch until I git gud with the toolset that matters.

That said, if you are really concerned that everyone and their mum will have "eff zoning" variation, then maybe it's not that bad that there's a backup close-up one on your character - but things as such depend on tournament ruling on character select.

True it's junping the gun saying something will be "impossible" to deal with. But I highly doubt they gave Raiden an entire variation based around his teleport while advertising how good it was, for it to be, well, not good. Takeda has 4 teleports, 2 which full combo on EX. I don't even have to know anything else to know that it will be useful.

Projectiles, multiple unrelated sources have already stated that projectiles are slower and more punishable than both MK9 and Injustice. Another development that zoners wouldn't be excited about.
I can only say that these expectations are not unreasonable and I can agree that lack of style representation may mean that chances are lower to get a good toolset for the job and at very least it limits options for those who would like to play long-ranged game (there may be a character like that, but, say, it won't be fun for particular player, I get it).
As for viability, it will take like 2 toolsets to make this line of thinking irrelevant on high level, so...

As for projectiles, they were mostly terrible in MK9 too, but there were nice ones too. Back then when MKX was being actively presented on exhibitions, there were like 7 characters in the game, none of them being mostly a zoner. It is not surprise to me that their fireballs were either terrible or setup-enabling more than anything (like D'Vorah low bug - no way it's a primarily a zoning tool).

Well, to me "zoner" is mostly about neutral game. Regardless of what your effort at ranged game is rewarded with (combos, vortexes, oki game that doesn't involve aforementioned ranged tools), nature of your neutral game still remains unchanged.
Granted, SD JC is probably not a real zoner and maybe more like something to fight mid-range kits with (shadows require setups, up-close game must not be terrible in order for this kit to work - because unlike Milia, JC doesn't have lockdown abilities rendering opponent's possible up-close advantage irrelevant while they last), but hey, at least it's an example of giving someone tools for a bit of a zoning game they never had before :p

It's is. It makes a character a specialist in something. If you don't agree, then name one zoning character revealed that has 3 variations increasing their zoning capabilities like a few rushdown characters have. Just one.
Well, I kind of did, but then we disagreed on what playstyle we should call a real zoning :p

And who has three variations dedicated to different flavours of rushdown game? Those who I can maybe think of still have one that provides increase of threat range and little more (War god, Vicious). I can maybe say this about KL who probably will focus of hitting you in the face anyways. Two of his variations will probably be used to open people up while Tempest looks more like anti-zoning indeed (it can help against projectiles and more importantly, it covers his arse on teleport).

Staff variation is about as zoning as NW staff was.
I kind of thing it could be better than that. He has advantage of covering more range (compared to fullscreen distance) and being less slow himself. What he really needs is better moves because NW had what, 2 decent normals and 2 specials for his spacing game half of which didn't provide enough reward anyways? Meanwhile he's potentially less free to air game. If that's how NRS want to fix NW, I'm probably OK.
That said, it's not the playstyle you are talking about, so w/e I guess.

I know nothing of Skullgirls. On the games I do know that have teleports, the most ridiculous statement you've said is a teleport is more a zoning tool than anti-zoning tool. I mained Raven for two years and never once considered her teleport a "zoning tool". But every character I faced with a teleport used it to get inside my zoning. I'm upset that I even have to explain that a teleport is a counter to zoning much more than it is for zoning.
I can agree that it's more natural for teleport to be a get in move unless it's something like Freddy's TP. I said though that it can be different depending on its properties and what are the rest of character's moves. I never claimed that TP like that of Takeda is naturally more of a keepaway tool :D

From what we've seen it looks more like they're going for the "give most the cast a little of everything" than specialist. There might be a couple per playstyle that are pure specialist but I doubt more than that. Just waiting on that zoning specialist. Possible though.

That's where preferences come in. I rather watch Armor IAZB a full match than damn near anything. It's just that my preference is in the minority, and I'm assuming that's why it's being weeded out.
I feel that these two thoughts are best regarded together to take a peek into NRS mind.
They go mostly towards generalists maybe because they feel that specialists cause polarized MUs. But also it's possible that they decided that it's a bit repetitive to watch for majority so they are trying to cut on kits that have more universal options (and stuff like IAZB is among ones).
Combined, these ideas probably led to what we have.

Granted, I should maybe wait for a year of so before making claims about what NRS did and if that worked. But it goes without saying, so duh.

Yea Kenshi was ridiculous in MK9, I'll give you that. Though I'm sure there will be ridiculous characters in MKX. Fingers crossed he isn't watered down to oblivion.
Well, it's NRS. I hope for better design and support on their part this time, but who knows what we will end up with.

Agreed. Unless you're calling Johnny a zoner or a teleport a main zoning tool that is. :DOGE
Eh, well, I'm not going to call teleport a main zoning tool, especially if it's an abstract teleport, and as I've said, SDJC is probably more like a hybrid. So deal :p

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
@Barrogh with two of the three characters expected to be Erron and Shinnok, we'll revisit this after the stream.
And apparently, they both (give or take) diversified by close/mid/far preferred range with their variations, with the caveat that Impostor gets ability steal instead of additional "reaching" tool.
That's about what I can say keeping it short (and probably isn't quite accurate). Gotta wait for the rest.

On a side note, recovery speed of low sandbomb doesn't justify low projectile speed. It doesn't look like there's a lot to do afterwards except to MB it. Low High Laughing Gas much?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
And apparently, they both (give or take) diversified by close/mid/far preferred range with their variations, with the caveat that Impostor gets ability steal instead of additional "reaching" tool.
That's about what I can say keeping it short (and probably isn't quite accurate). Gotta wait for the rest.

On a side note, recovery speed of low sandbomb doesn't justify low projectile speed. It doesn't look like there's a lot to do afterwards except to MB it. Low High Laughing Gas much?
I was pretty hype up after watching the stream, especially about Black, but after rewatching it again my hype died significantly.

Unless Erron's sandball is significantly good on block I'm not sure how good it can be with the speed of the game. It's too much like Joker's gas tank and that's not a good thing. The anti-air looks situational and you'd probably be better of using a normal. The slide would probably be hella punishable. Though I did like the nails doing DoT and stopping runs, the Marksmen 3 shots while back pedaling, and the snipe shot cancel. Gunslinger was good as well. Outlaw wasn't for me. He has the potential to be the zoner I'm looking for, definitely, so I'll try him right away, but I'll probably place Ermac ahead out of revealed characters.

Ermac is the only character that made me say "woa" so far. Takeda too with his potential spacing tools. I can't play Liu Kang because my training partner that'll I'll be playing almost every day main's him, but he looks amazing.

Shinnok I don't know. His shoulder looks like his best move. Saying a charging shoulder is the best move I saw from a potential zoner pretty much sums it up. I want to try his Necromancy for potential set ups though.

Overall I may either go Kenshi again this year depending on his changes, or roll with Ermac first since he seems improved from MK9. Only 4 reveals left, and it has become clear that the thread title should actually be "where is the zoning?" The answer may end up being, "in Kenshi".

trufenix

bye felicia
@SaltShaker They have said numerous times the variation systems goal is to allow people different ways to play their favorite characters. It doesn't look like anybody (except maybe reptile and ermac) has the same type of basic playstyle in all three variations. Not grapplers, not zoners, not even rushdown.

Immortal

Blind justice....
@SaltShaker They have said numerous times the variation systems goal is to allow people different ways to play their favorite characters. It doesn't look like anybody (except maybe reptile and ermac) has the same type of basic playstyle in all three variations. Not grapplers, not zoners, not even rushdown.
I disagree.

There is plenty of characters which have variations that looks like a rushdown type with insane options but i'm yet to see ANY character which looks amazing in zoning. High hopes for my boy Kenshi.

I agree with @SaltShaker at this point this thread should be titled "Where is zoning".