What's new

Anti Crossovers?

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i know the game isn't out yet but the cross up system is a lot different than mk9, so how do you guys speculate we will have to deal with cross ups in injustice? since a lot of cross ups look to have a gigantic hit-box i don't think lowering your hit-box with a poke is going to work, and i don't see a njp like in mk9. hopefully reversing your inputs for anti air specials works flawlessly in this game. i feel for the first few months of this game, the best players will be the ones that can stop your jump-ins and cross ups to the point where you're grounded the entire match. also dashing out seems a lot more effective since most dashes are extremely fast

Discuss!!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
From what I've seen, turning around is a lot faster, so I'd imagine that you'd be able to do stuff like universal launchers for AA.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
well i dunno and i havent investigated, im just assuming anti airs will be similar to mk but easier like sf

Defense will actually have to be well planned. There aren't cross-up's in MK.

I was also thinking about the fact that back-dashes have invincibility on start-up. I'm really curious to know how the wake-up game will develop. Also, start preparing your option selects; If you don't know what they are, you better learn.

Zyphox

I was also thinking about the fact that back-dashes have invincibility on start-up. I'm really curious to know how the wake-up game will develop. Also, start preparing your option selects; If you don't know what they are, you better learn.
can you so kindly explain what a "cross up" is and what the hell am i seeing in injustice? i am confused?

THTB

I doubt there's going to be option selects like in recent SF games. A huge reason why SF's OSs work is because of hitstop + a super lenient input buffer for a game like that.

A safe jump OS in SF works the way it does because of this: During your jump, you input 1 action, then immediately another. If hitstop occurs, it messes with the second action, essentially erasing it. If there is no hitstop, the second action occurs as normal.

I'm pretty sure Injustice still has a much tighter input buffer window, as well as no hitstop.

4x4lo8o

Noob
can you so kindly explain what a "cross up" is and what the hell am i seeing in injustice? i am confused?
A cross up in MK doesn't quite have the same meaning as it does in other games because of the block button. In games that use back to block the direction you use to block changes as they pass over your head. This creates a mix up game based on spacing where it can be ambiguous or hard to tell which side of you their attack is going to land on and makes blocking correctly difficult, and that's what people are referring to when they say MK doesn't have cross ups. In MK you can just hold the block button, so a cross up simply refers to a person jumping over you rather than a mix up game. Injustice will have cross ups.

Cross up is when you land either front or back of your opponent depending on the spacing you are jumping from and your hitboxes look ambiguous so the player getting cross-uped has to guess whether you will land in front or back and block accordingly.

Since MK9 you just hold block, and you can see a person visually blocking, it kind of autoblocks/dumbs it down I guess.

Zyphox

Cross up is when you land either front or back of your opponent depending on the spacing you are jumping from and your hitboxes look ambiguous so the player getting cross-uped has to guess whether you will land in front or back and block accordingly.

Since MK9 you just hold block, and you can see a person visually blocking, it kind of autoblocks/dumbs it down I guess.
so why is morty saying there is no cross ups in this game, by looking at it, especially characters with air dashes, flight, grapple hook, ect it seems there are some ambiguous crossups in this game, and with no block button..... i don't understand :(

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
He said there weren't crossups in MK, he was bashing MK's defense and praising IGAU's by saying it'll have to be well planned as opposed to MK's block button making things more shallow.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I doubt there's going to be option selects like in recent SF games. A huge reason why SF's OSs work is because of hitstop + a super lenient input buffer for a game like that.

A safe jump OS in SF works the way it does because of this: During your jump, you input 1 action, then immediately another. If hitstop occurs, it messes with the second action, essentially erasing it. If there is no hitstop, the second action occurs as normal.

I'm pretty sure Injustice still has a much tighter input buffer window, as well as no hitstop.
Maybe I am imagining it, but some air normal's seem to have a very slight amount of hitstop.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage

When Morty says option selects he isn't just referring to the jump-in option select in SF4. There are tons of other applications for options selects like assuring that your opponent won't just backdash on wakeup or out of pressure whenever they want to. Also you could use option selects in pressure during the spacing game.

THTB

When Morty says option selects he isn't just referring to the jump-in option select in SF4. There are tons of other applications for options selects like assuring that your opponent won't just backdash on wakeup or out of pressure whenever they want to. Also you could use option selects in pressure during the spacing game.
I doubt the OSs off anything not jump-ins will work that well. There's already the issue of everything having longer recovery than SF already.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I doubt the OSs off anything not jump-ins will work that well. There's already the issue of everything having longer recovery than SF already.

True, they won't be as useful because most stuff won't recover nearly as fast as literally anything in SF4. But there are fast pokes like the down-jab that you could still possibly use to OS something to prevent backdashes on wakeup. Even if there won't be as many applications I don't think it's something people should leave out of their gameplans if it's even remotely useful in a game like this.

so why is morty saying there is no cross ups in this game, by looking at it, especially characters with air dashes, flight, grapple hook, ect it seems there are some ambiguous crossups in this game, and with no block button..... i don't understand :(

He said there aren't cross-up's in MK. There are cross-up's in Injustice: Gods Among Us. The term cross-up's is used in MK9 because there isn't a better word to describe them. Traditional Fighting Game "true" cross-up's don't exist in MK9, because of the block button, and you can auto block anyone going a crossover.

To understand this better, just forget everything regarding MK9 and trying to apply it to this game.

THTB

True, they won't be as useful because most stuff won't recover nearly as fast as literally anything in SF4. But there are fast pokes like the down-jab that you could still possibly use to OS something to prevent backdashes on wakeup. Even if there won't be as many applications I don't think it's something people should leave out of their gameplans if it's even remotely useful in a game like this.
d1s in this game look every bit as slow as MK9's. Probably just have better frame data.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
:) this is where tons of fighting game experience comes in handy.....tsk tsk at you guys....no i am just being stupid haha. hello everyone!
dont worry Cross ups wont be an issue....basically every fighting game had em except for MK due to the 1 button block. but in my opinion, that's not the scary part about the game!!
the birdy told me some flaws about the game that i dont like and was expecting to see an Improvment OR! abolshment from the system ....because it's the same Maker of MK ya know? haha.
though lets see how will it turn out. i am happy with the frame flow in the game from what i've seen and read! real footsies will be implemented, and due to dash it will give it a feeling a heavy char fighter (Hakan and geif), thus i cant wonder how HEAVY those grablers in the game will be....so literally it can be an advantage and Dis advantage with this interesting new system

I am marking my territory in this game with WW for starters. so, see you all soon with the game launch! ^_^ rofl
will be fun maining this game in summer along with my beloved GGXX series

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

There's option selects in MK9 too.

cyke_out

Noob
What are option selects? something to do with wake-up attacks?
Very simply, it's inputting multiple different commands, to counter multiple action made by the opponent.

Examples-

For VF, ETEG's (Evade, Throw Escape, Guard) You side step, perform a throw escape and block all at the same time. That way, if the opponent does a linear attack, the evade beats that, if the opponent tries to throw you, the throw escape beats that, if the opponent does a circular attack, the block beats that. You input different commands to combat one of the three possible actions taken by the opponent.

SF has several of them too, here is a basic video explaining the technique from vanilla SF4.