What's new

Another MK HD Kollection kancelled. Just another day in NRS offices

We all saw what happened with the MK Arcade Kollection of the last generation, which included the arcade ports, instead of the HD remasters which were canceled.
Then there was a hope, seeing that the guys from Eyeballistic were still working on their HD versions, but then WB did not give them the green light to continue with the project.
Almost at the same time to learn that the Eyeballistic project would not see the light of day (officially), another news emerged that there was another studio working on a classic trilogy, which could be the original 3 games or the remastered MKT.
After all this introduction I come to leave all the information I could pick up from another remastering of MK, MK II and UMK3 that was in progress and guess what, was canceled!!!
A couple of days ago my friend RatonMalo shared this URL, which at the time of writing this is no longer operational but nevertheless I arrived in time to save all the images and texts of it. I was lucky because I could not get it back with archive.org
This was the URL: https://gunzfire.artstation.com/projects/QzzeKl

Let's start with the kontent that was on that page. Click on images to see them in full size

Mortal Kombat Kollection Online

Splash Screen

Exploring different concepts for the Main Menu. The goal was to set a quality bar for the rest of the game as well as figuring out how to give the players a fun way to select the game the want to play out of the trilogy.

The team wanted to go with a more circular tome for this approach because it was more united. We then later decided to incorporate carvings into the negative spaces in between the game versions for game play.

For the carvings, the team decided that we wanted to incorporate the 10 original characters from the first game. Since reptile is an unlock able character in the first game, I thought it would be a fun idea if a frame was revealed when players earned him.

Breakdown for the ritual tome for the Main Menu. The tome would crack and reveal carved out versions of each character when the player unlocked an achievement while playing the game.

Background painting that would be used as a backdrop for all the screens. This would later on be replace with VFX as the scope for the project changed.

Main Menu Screen with default tablet.

Main Menu Screen with a fully unlocked tablet.

Early exploration of Krypt mode. This game mode was meant to introduce a new way to play the original trilogy. I was task to create a look of how players would interact and move throughout the game mode.

Kontinue in next post since I can't attach more images

Last edited:

An option for battle call. This would pop up to show that another player has accepted your challenge. One of the challenges, the team faced was where we want to show the information of the map and modifiers to the player.

Another idea for how battle call confirmation would look like.

An example of hand painted fx I did for the project. I was tasked with setting the quality bar of these so the team could reference them.

A collection of some of the images of what I created for a canceled project. My primary role on the project was to set the quality bar for the UI and fx while maintaining the look of the trilogy of the series.

DATE October 30, 2018