What's new

General/Other - Cryomancer A possibly perfect way to make Cryomancer relevant in the upcoming patch.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
First of all, I know there have been plenty of 'patch wishlist' threads floating around TYM in light of recent hints of a patch on social media, some already concerning Sub-Zero and even some specifically for his Cryomancer variation, but I'd like to point out this has been an idea that has lingered in my mind for several months and have done a lot of research to theorize how this would come into play if the change was actually taken on board by NRS. So I'd appreciate if this was not merged with any other threads.

Now, there have been plenty of Chinese whispers concerning the 'role' each of Sub-Zero's variants are supposed to fulfill, but it has been generally agreed that Cryomancer is intended to be the most offensive of the three. The problem is that it generally doesn't initiate where it excels in offense very well.
That said, my opinion is not that Cryomancer is the worst variation in the game or any of that jazz, it's simply not a very good complimentary variation for Sub-Zero overall. My aim is not to get Cryo buffed to the moon, but just to have it serve it's purpose more logistically.

This could be improved through changes to Sub's base toolset, sure, but then comes the problem of if those changes would create inadvertent loopholes for his other variations. So ideally, you would do this through Cryomancer-exclusive tools. But how?

I think this can be done altogether with one change, and I'll cut to the chase.

*drumroll*

Allow Frost Hammer to be cancelled with a dash after the 14th frame of startup.

Now, I get that I'm not the first person to propose this change, but it seems everyone else that has, want it 'just because' without any real ideology. I'm confident that I'd be the first to explain the in-depth economics of it.

So why would this be a good idea for Cryomancer, and Sub-Zero in general?

- I believe Frost Hammer fits right in with all the other dash cancellable moves in the game currently; usually the move itself is relatively slow and has little application in the neutral game.

- It's fair to say that Grandmaster is established as Sub-Zero's premiere variation, however there are matchups that leave Sub with his limited base tool set as they have ways and means to ignore the metagame that the presence of Ice Clone brings. Cryomancer can come into play here as an alternative to initiate offense through.

- Most of his normals and strings provide good enough cancel advantage on block that he would be left at enough frame advantage to frame trap at least a F3. If anyone is curious about specific numbers I have done thorough testing to estimate to cancel advantage on block of most of Sub's normals and strings and can provide approximates if requested.

- It would provide him with meterless conversions that he sorely lacks in the other variations. Tired of having to take a chance on B33 midscreen and not even being serviceably rewarded for it unless you're up against a female? Would no longer be the case.

Unbreakable has this for the most part through EX Aura, why would this change function differently for Cryomancer?

- A common problem that Sub players using Unbreakable often lack the necessary meter and means to gain it to even initiate EX Aura. With this change, Cryomancer could be able to do this from a resource usually readily available, and one that he otherwise doesn't use much.

- Another problem is that you can't just magically EX Aura again while it's already activated. Stamina would be Cryomancer's only limit here and with max stamina available would have more than one chance to play with.

Possible concerns?

- For clarity's sake, I'd like to point out this would only apply to the meterless Frost Hammer. I am suggesting no changes to the EX version.

- If coding allows for it, the ability to cancel the hammer may have to be disabled after the Cold Blooded string specifically, even if a cancel wasn't already used in the same sequence.

Why?

The current cancel advantage of Cold Blooded would probably give him enough time to run cancel the hammer and combo into meterless ice ball, thus his restand and damage potential is likely to spiral out of control from some conversions. The current cancel advantage has already been precisely distributed to prevent him from being able to link a meterless ice ball after Cold Blooded. The only other ways to regulate this would be to decrease Cold Blooded's cancel advantage which would hinder it's ability to link into EX hammer or EX iceball, or only let Cryomancer cancel out of the hammer so late to the point where the entire buff would be largely pointless.

- F4's cancel advantage in conjunction with this proposed buff.

Now, anyone who's informed about Sub's F4 properties and the buff I am proposing should know that F4 into a Hammer Run Cancel would be heavily plus on block, which for a rep or two isn't unbearable. The grey area is that Sub does seem to have a relatively fast recovering forward dash and he may also be left at slight advantage simply by just dash cancelling out of F4 without even having to run, which also consumes significantly less stamina. I wouldn't want to give him a 10 rep block trap on some characters if they lacked the necessary resources to escape, but if it turned out that it was no more than +4, if he was left at advantage at all, then it shouldn't be a problem.

- The hammer may actually need to be cancellable on the 13th frame?

I won't go into too much detail as to what I was looking at, but I remember labbing some specific tech with Hellfire Scorpion concerning his own run cancels and I noticed there appears to be a frame to transition a dash into a run, and then a frame for your following button to register. Ultimately this thread isn't about Hellfire Scorpion and I may be partially wrong about that information but I thought I'd bring that up in case such mechanics clashes with the ideas I'm shooting for with the buff for Cryomancer.

In conclusion:

I get that this is a lengthy, in-depth thread for an idea that may never ever materialize, but I want to be as clear as I can be for everyone interested on what I'm suggesting, and why. I won't be tagging any NRS personnel, it's entirely possible that they have already decided on Cryomancer's future in the upcoming patch, and hell, it may even be something even better than what I'm suggesting. If there's any stock they can take from this thread and they are still looking for ideas, they will find it and take what they will from it.

It's also probably not the most imaginative buff you could give the variation, but as of now, I feel it's the best chance of giving it a place in the future of the game. And on top of that, Ferra/Torr was probably the last character we expected to be given a cancel in any capacity, but alas, it happened.

Also, I'm not a Cryomancer main, or a Sub main for that matter, so if you have any criticisms of my ideas or want to point out other potential issues that may arise that I have not elaborated on or taken into consideration, feel free to bring them to my attention.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think this is a good idea. He would be able to initiate offense in Cryomancer without sending Grandmaster to god tier.

omooba

fear the moobs
yeeeeeaaaaah no i think we have enough run cancel characters don't want another one especially if it's just going to be the same gameplan as just get pressure of plus frames if when gets a better d1 (which i'm pretty sure he will) this variation will probably be fine. probably around low mid tier which is where most character's weaker variations are

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
It's hard for me to look at this subjectively because I hate Cryo and can't react to the Hammer for shit.

Bias aside, this does sound like a pretty interesting buff (although it would make Cryo at least twice as annoying to fight against). If this buff made it into the game I'd be happy for Cryo players.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Run cancel pressure on a character with 50/50s that score 40+% damage? Bruh......
I don't think you read the whole thread properly cause I did cover making sure that his damage doesn't end up becoming overkill with this.

Also, giving Cryo a run cancel would do nothing to the overhead, it would still be no if and buts unsafe in this variation.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Pretty interesting analysis.

I guess the 14th frame calculation came from making it have exactly the same advantage as EX Aura? If so I think it should be a bit slower. Make most of his cancels (at least from the mid-starting strings like B12) lightly negative like Heavy Weapons and Marksman, I think that would be fairer.

This does sound like it would drastically change his offense into something that fits the game well.

And I think it goes without saying that the cancel should have a hefty scaling penalty to keep his damage output the same when he starts a combo with a hammer cancel. And it might also be fair to scale his damage a bit in general if he gets this.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I don't think you read the whole thread properly cause I did cover making sure that his damage doesn't end up becoming overkill with this.

Also, giving Cryo a run cancel would do nothing to the overhead, it would still be no if and buts unsafe in this variation.
It still feels out of place, every other run cancel character with the exception of that stupid bug lady don't have access to full combo 50/50s.

STRYKIE

It still feels out of place, every other run cancel character with the exception of that stupid bug lady don't have access to full combo 50/50s.
Marksman, High Tech, Thunder God, Heavy Weapons, Hellfire (sort of), Ruthless....

Edit: Braindead beat me to it on some of them but you get the idea lol.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
All of those characters with the exception of HT have cancels that are close to neutral on block. I suppose this wouldn't be so bad if F4 hammer cancel was only +4 at best and all other cancels were for safety/gimmicks.

STRYKIE

Pretty interesting analysis.

I guess the 14th frame calculation came from making it have exactly the same advantage as EX Aura? If so I think it should be a bit slower. Make most of his cancels (at least from the mid-starting strings like B12) lightly negative like Heavy Weapons and Marksman, I think that would be fairer.

This does sound like it would drastically change his offense into something that fits the game well.

And I think it goes without saying that the cancel should have a hefty scaling penalty to keep his damage output the same when he starts a combo with a hammer cancel. And it might also be fair to scale his damage a bit in general if he gets this.
Yes and no about the EX Aura part. The primary purpose is letting him have enough frame advantage to frame trap at least 1 option and once that's acknowledged, you have room to entertain other options. If we had the info for actual cancel advantage then I could possibly assess to make it a couple frames slower as I don't think he needs to be able to do this from every single block string.

I did research on how Cryo's damage tends to scale after certain starters into optimised conversions and with a hammer cancel penalty, would average at about 34% meterless but could be slightly better or worse depending on which starter into the hammer cancel was used. I wouldn't be opposed to a general damage nerf to regulate if it was ever made a thing but I think it would be worth seeing how it plays out in practice first.

All of those characters with the exception of HT have cancels that are close to neutral on block. I suppose this wouldn't be so bad if F4 hammer cancel was only +4 at best and all other cancels were for safety/gimmicks.
Some of those characters already have categorically good buttons without run cancelling though. Sub's base toolset really doesn't lol.

STRYKIE

Seriously guys, the patch contents are long since decided.
If I posted this thread this time last month, I would've been hit by some arbitrary "seriously guys, this game isn't going to be patched again" like bait attempt instead, but just FYI;

it's entirely possible that they have already decided on Cryomancer's future in the upcoming patch

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
And how many times have myself and others suggested a run cancel hammer yet no one batted an eye. Doesn't really matter what good suggestions we have it seems from the way NRS does things. Too frequent knee jerk overkill nerfs/buffs then useless changes and finally abandoned. I'm guessing this is the last patch before we get abandoned. Hopefully a TE mod comes along to get the game in a more fair state. It's been done for MKII and UMK3 so let's keep it up.