What's new

General/Other A Noob's Look At Grundy

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
First off let me say that in no way is this a comprehensive, original or even good guide to the monster that is Solomon Grundy. I am merely someone who is leagues behind on being able to accomplish the kind of timing and precision that the vast majority of people on here seem to have mastered (I can NOT for the life of me land Sinestro's b13 b3 more than 1/5 times). That being said I love Injustice and knew this was the first fighting game I had to try and take to another level skill wise. My typical button mashing and half remembered combos would not work here.

This is merely a look at Solomon Grundy through the eyes of someone who isn't always able to pull off a perfect combo (though I partially blame the terrible D pad on 360 controllers). This is going to be a bare bones look at Grundy. There are better combos. There are flashier combos. There are combos that land far more damage with far more amazing set ups. But if you're not at a point where you can land those monstrous blows on command, I offer you the techniques and combos I felt were easy enough to pull off regularly with minimal damage loss. This is about sacrificing a little damage for a lot of reliability. It's for noobies. Let me also state that not all of these are "true" combos in that some rely on timing or resets to chain together blows. They will be displayed as two separate combos but if you time it right it all works as one combo (and does more damage due to a lack of diminishing returns to boot). I understand that not all moves/combos work against all characters or in all situations. These can and will get you punished if you botch them but such is a fighting game.

I have stood on the shoulders of giants to create this guide. I would like to give total and complete credit for all techniques you see here (altered for ease or otherwise) to the Solomon Grundy's BnB Combos guide by ll Nooby ll, Strategy - Knockdown Throw Traps by ll Nooby ll, Tom Brady's Grundy Set Up videos, and Solomon Grundy - The Complete Guide by topper2ath. Please take a look at these threads for more advanced techniques and break downs.

That being said, let us begin. I am simply going to lay out the combos and make a comment on them after the fact. They are in no real order.

112 DB1 BF3
A solid meterless combo. The input on BF3 is just as he's moving the cleaver toward/over his shoulder on the return. If timed right you will even stop wake up attacks and tech rolls.

112 BF2MB 4
Pretty reliable 1MB combo that gets you to your ever wonderful Pain Chain. Alternately you combo BF2MB 114 but the timing is not nearly as safe

F1 F3 4
Very simple combo that leads to Pain Chain.

J2 B1 4
Beautiful jumping combo into your Pain Chain. Just keep holding B on B1 even if you cross your opponent. Even though you will be pressing forward in relation to where he landed, the B1 will still go off. B1 even causes the combo meter to reset so your Pain Chain takes no diminished damage.

D2 4
This will only land if you are extremely close to your opponent but D2 is one of Grundy's fastest attacks. It works well if you are under pressure or pressuring your opponent after a knockdown. Also nice if cornered or vice versa.

D2 * 114
Credit ApertureBlack for mentioning this combo. This works wonders as an anti-air and has far greater range than D2 4. The pause indicated by * is very brief but don't go spamming 11 or you'll botch your window. And it does 2% more damage than D2 4 to boot!

D1 BF2
This is a nice "low combo" for Grundy. After your opponent expects D2 114 hit them with D1 BF2. Then the mind games begin. Also nice if you're cornered as the BF2 tosses your opponent behind you. How the tables turn.

D1 BF2MB 4
A 1MB combo that starts low and ends in Pain Chain. As with any BF2MB you can extend with 114.

B2 B3 BF3
Another combo that starts low. It can get you punished but is a nice mix up. Short initiation range on the initial stomp though.

BF3MB 114 (your back to corner)
This combo can ONLY be done when your back is to the corner. The timing on 114 is very fast after the BF3MB so be ready to almost spam it. The nice thing is it has armor and even if you miss the 4 at the end, your opponent is now stuck in the corner.

D2 D3 * 4
Not a "true" combo but after D2 D3 lands if you pause for a moment you can score a 4 right as they stand up. If you time it right you can even catch some wake up attacks or burn a MB to give it armor.

F122 - 4
Same concept as before. Not a true combo but after F122 lands you can dash up and hit them with 4 right as they stand up. Once again you can catch some wake up attacks or even burn a MB to guarantee the grab.

BF3 xx D2 * 114
Walking Corpse Cancels or WCC can be tricky but if you time it right you can basically do an armored dash up to them and then drop low for a D2 4. I use D2 as it's Grundy's fastest attack.

112 DB1 BF3MB DB3 * BF3
This is one combo I'll use with Grave Rot and even then it's not that worth while more often than not. But here it is if you want it. Pause for just a moment after DB3 and you can catch them as they try to stand with BF3. Will catch wake up attacks.

B2 B3 BF3MB DB3 * BF3
Similar to the one above but a different set up if you want to mess with your opponents head. Anything that starts low is nice to mix in.

112 DB1 BF3MB * BF3MB * BF3
This is a variant of two combos I'm sure you recognize up above. The point of this is more to show that BF3MB can be chained. There are better uses of meter bar in my opinion, let alone two but it's your call and can be useful in the right circumstance.

J2 B1 112 DB2MB J2 B1 F2 F3 4
This combo does heavy damage for what it is. Every time you see a B1 that means the combo meter resets... so that means no diminishing returns. Timing is pretty straight forward, if you can do the other combos you can figure this one out.

J2 B1 112 DB2MB J2 B1 112 BF2MB * 114
This is about as complicated as I can get. As always the * pertains to a pause. Not a bad combo but I like the one above as it takes only 1MB and does comparable damage. This one will make you feel like a champ when you land it though.

BF3MB 114 F3+4 112 DB2MB J2 B1 F1 F2 4 F3+4 (back to corner only)
This combo can ONLY be used when your back is in the corner. Please note that every 4 in this combo requires you to complete a level 2 Pain Chain throw. Once your opponent lands in the corner from PC you can immediately perform a F3+4 throw with their only ways out being a back dash or counter 3+4. The 112 bridge is not a true combo but if you start it as soon as you're able to move after F3+4 you can usually catch them with the DB2MB. On the J2 B1 I recommend jumping straight up with no directional input as you will be extremely close to your opponent, making it very easy to get the wrong input for B1 if you cross over. If you do cross over and end up doing F1 instead of B1 try to continue the combo as F1 F2 4. You won't get the damage reset from B1 but at least you can extend the combo. At the last F3+4 you can theoretically restart the combo from 112 but this will do well over 100% damage and is not practical in any way.

And that's pretty much it. I'm sorry I don't have any videos but all of this information (or at least the roots of it) are already out there from the individuals I mentioned earlier in this guide. Anyway, I've just stumbled on to TYM in the last 2 weeks but it's already helped my game more than any amount of hours in practice mode could have. Sorry for any formatting errors, I only learned fight code last week. Thanks to you all and I hope this guide helps another noob who loves him some Grundy.

circle masher

NRS PLLLLS MORE BUFF AN NERFPS GAME IS UBNALENCERD
Great idea man! I think Grundy's a well-enough designed character to have lots of appeal for both newcomers and seasoned players so something like this is always useful.

Dog With A Beer

D2,1,1,T

That was my original AA :)
That's a nice one, a little hard to pull off timing wise at first but definitely more range that just D2 4. I do notice the D2 11 lead in causes 4 to do significantly less damage. All said and done its less than just using 4 on it's own but as you said it's a nice anti air combo and worth learning.

Hated Greatness

Super Villain

112 DB1 BF3
A solid meterless combo. The input on BF3 is just as he's moving the cleaver toward/over his shoulder on the return. If timed right you will even stop wake up attacks and tech rolls.

I, for the life of me, can not get this combo. The best I can do is get the BF3 to come out as the character is waking up, but it doesn't count as a combo (by the combo counter in the game I mean).

Dog With A Beer

I, for the life of me, can not get this combo. The best I can do is get the BF3 to come out as the character is waking up, but it doesn't count as a combo (by the combo counter in the game I mean).
It's not a "true" combo by means of the combo counter. If you time it right you should grab them when they try to stand/wake up attack/tech roll. My apologies if I didn't mention its not a true combo. I'll edit it accordingly.

Hated Greatness

Super Villain
It's not a "true" combo by means of the combo counter. If you time it right you should grab them when they try to stand/wake up attack/tech roll. My apologies if I didn't mention its not a true combo. I'll edit it accordingly.
Ah, gotcha. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong. Thank you.