What's new

A Guide to Optimal Kenshi Combo Damage

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
(reposting after the TYM crash)

A Guide to Optimal Combo Damage - by STB Under_The_Mayo

***UPDATED 12/29/2012***
-New section "Position Reversals" for Mid-Screen and Corner, includes new max damage 31% mid-screen NJP combo, and the ULTRA SWAG combo.

-Changed mid-screen DJK combo to 30% version.

***UPDATED 11/24/2012***
-New section "Technical Mid-Screen BnB's" with suggestions from WonderChef and Lethal Legend

-Added Jump Kick version of 114 Technical Corner BnB.

I've shown lots and lots of variations on combo damage, and I got some messages from a few people asking which ones I make a point to use every time I play. So, I'm gonna talk about some Kenshi combos in depth here. The following video simply displays what I like to use. Below it, I'll be talking about the nature of Kenshi's combos, why I use the ones I use, and what your other options are.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone looking for a solid way to approach more technical combos, or even someone who's just now learning the character.

Legend:

RK = Rising Karma (D,B+1)

SC = Spirit Charge (B,F+2)

TF = Tele-Flurry (B,F+3)

Mid-Screen BnB's

Kenshi is kind of unique, in that his mid-screen combos really haven't changed since the first ones that were found upon release, while his corner combos have shown endless variation. His lack of mobility makes juggles involving dashes very hard to do, and they yield very little reward for pulling them off at a high risk of dropping them.

All mid-screen combos also have different ways to end them depending on what your next move is going to be:

- F3 2 SC sends your opponent flying full-screen for a zoning setup and does the most damage. Ideal for using against characters like Cage, Sonya, Liu Kang, Jax, etc., that you can zone heavily and keep at a distance because they don't have options like a fast teleport or some kind of long distance threatening attack.

- F2 2 B2 does only 1% less damage as an ender, but allows you to recover quickly and dash to close distance with your opponent as they get up. Perfect for use in that Kabal or Smoke match where you have to stay close and keep them locked down by driving them to the corner.

- 3 TF drops the damage down a bit more (now 2% less than the Spirit Charge ender), but still sends them full-screen, and builds a larger chunk of meter since the Tele-Flurry builds 6% every time it's used compared to the 2.25% of a Spirit Charge. Perfect to use at the end of a round for the kill for the free extra meter.

For the sake of uniformity, we'll assume F2 2 B2 as a universal ender.

RK, F2 2 B2 - (18%)

RK, 2 1 B2 SC - (23%) **

jp, 1 1 4 RK, F2 2 B2 - (31%)

jp, F3 2 RK, F2 2 B2 - (29%)

jp, F2 2 B1, F3 2 RK, F2 2 B2 - (38%)

jp, 2 1 B2, Dash RK, F2 2 B2 - (33%)

njp, Dash 2, Dash 3 RK, F2 2 B2 - (28%)

djk, Dash D1 RK, F2 2 B2, D1 SC - (30%)

** Spirit Charge version has much high damage if you need it and the fullscreen positioning it gives. Great Kung Lao teleport punish on a read.

Technical Mid-Screen BnB's

These combos provide 0.5% - 1% more damage than the standard F2 2 B1 and 2 1 B2 followups. They are a big more strict on timing and spacing but can be mastered with a little practice.

jp, F2 2 B1, Dash 2, Dash F2 2 RK, F2 2 B2 - (39%)

jp, F2 2 B1, F2 2 B1, Dash D1 RK, F2 2 B2 - (39.5%)

jp, 2 1 B2, Dash D1 RK, F2 2 B2 - (33.5%)

djk, F2 2 RK, Dash 2, F2 2 B2 - (29%) **

** Following up an Anti-Air or Deep Jump Kick with F2 2 must be done with the right distance and height because if it whiffs, you'll be vulernable as they get up.

Basic Corner BnB's

Kenshi's corner combos are very diverse, fun to execute, and flashy. With practice you can get down the more rewarding ones, but to get started, learn these combos to take solid and consistent damage whenever you land a launcher. Even once you learn more advanced versions, these BnB's are still great to have in your muscle memory! They aren't very timing sensitive, so you'll never ever drop them, making them the perfect combo option for ending a match with ease.

While corner combos are generally ended with Spirit Charge, another option (depending on the airbone-ness of your opponent in the combo) is to end combos with 2 1 B2 to cause a hard knockdown. Then you can maneuver yourself a bit before they can get up. Again, this can be helpful when you're locking a runaway character down in the corner like Kabal or Smoke.

RK, 2 1 B2, 3 SC - (26%)

EX RK, 2 1 B2, 3 SC - (29%)

jp, 1 1 4 RK, 2 1 B2, 3 SC - (37%)

jp, F3 2 RK, 2 1 B2, 3 SC - (34%)

jp, F2 2 B1, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC - (44%)

jp, 2 1 B2, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC - (43%)

njp, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC - (33%)

Technical Corner BnB's

Variations of Kenshi combos can go to serious extremes. When you're looking to increase your damage and your meter gain by upping the execution, I recommend the Flurry combos. Flurry combos are a little stricter to pull off, but aren't so wild that you'll drop them in a big match. Using Tele-Flurries in your combos raises the meter gain and total damage. If you're going to go for higher damage through higher execution, it might as well be building you 6-10% extra meter too.

RK, 2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC - (28%)

jp, 1 1 4 RK, 2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC (39%)

jp, 1 1 4 RK, JK, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC (40%)

jp, F3 2 RK, 2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC - (36%)

jp, F2 2 B1, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, Dash 3 TF, D1 SC - (46%)

jp, 2 1 B2, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, Dash 3 TF, D1 SC - (44%)

njp, njp, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, Dash TF, D1 SC - (36%)

(High-yield variations of Flurry Combos can be used to gain even more meter if you really think you have your timing down. I don't perform these myself, but some people do like them.)

jp, 1 1 4 RK, 3 RK, 3 TF D1 RK, D1 SC - (39%)

jp, F3 2 RK, 3 RK, 3 TF, D1 RK, D1 SC - (36%)

The EX Spirit Charge leads to big combo damage off a D1 RK conversion. The version I use is 1-2% less than the max, but never fails. The max combos off of EX SC conversions will fail if your opponent was airborne when they got hit. Since EX SC's are commonly used in punishing wakeup attacks or escape attempts in the corner, you never know if you're going to hit them while they're on the ground or not. So that's why I say go with the combo that works in both circumstances.

EX SC, D1 RK, 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC - (31%)

Hybrid Corner Conversions

Kenshi's combos have a lot of wall carry, so many times you'll find yourself in the corner before your mid-screen combo ends. If you see this happening once you start a combo, augment the end of your combo to a F2 2 B1, D1 RK, D1 SC. You may need to dash before the D1 to catch them as they fall. Hybrids do 2-5% more damage than normal combos that start mid-screen. They can come in really handy at the end of a match when your normal combo won't be quite enough to kill them.

(Helpful tip! : When catching a falling opponent with D1 RK, it can be helpful to use MK9's input buffer, or "negative edge." As you're about to hit your opponent as they fall, hit D1 and then immediately hit B1, and they game will register the inputs as D1, D,B+1 for your Rising Karma.)

jp, 1 1 4 RK, F2 2 B1, D1 RK, D1 SC (36%)

jp, F3 2 RK, F2 2 B1, D1 RK, D1 SC - (34%)

jp, F2 2 B1, F3 2 RK, 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC - (42%)

jp, 2 1 B2, RK, F2 2 B1, D1 RK, D1 SC - (38%)

jp, 2 1 B2, RK, 2 1 B2,3 SC - (39%)

RK, F2 2 B2, D1 RK, D1 SC - (25%)

Mid-Screen Position Reversals (NEW!)

If you need to reverse your positioning, after a combo launcher you can sacrifice some damage to put your opponent on the opposite side of the screen.

(Basic)
jp, 1 1 RK, dash under, SC - (20%)

jp, 2 1 RK, dash under, SC - (22%)

(Technical)
jp, 1 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, EX SC - (29%)**

jp, 2 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, EX SC - (31%)**

jp, F2 2 B1, F2 2 RK, dash under, D2, SC - (37%)

njp, dash RK, dash under, D2, SC - (25%)

njp, dash RK, dash under, D2, F3 2 SC - (31%)**

** Height sensitive. If you don't perfectly the first EX SC, the second one will whiff.
** Only works on a jumping opponent.

(ULTRA TECHNICAL ULTRA SWAAAAG!)

jp 2 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, Dash D1 SC = (30%)
jp 2 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, F2 2 B2 = (34%)

Corner Position Reversals (NEW!)

If you start a combo with your back to the corner, you can use the EX SC of the technical midscreen reversals to combo in Tele-Flurry.

jp, 1 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, dash D1 TF, SC = (31%)

jp, 2 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, dash D1 TF, SC = (33%)

jp, 2 1 RK, dash under, EX SC, dash D1 TF, 1 1 4 SC = (36%)**

**Requires the EX SC to hit them backwards or high so that the D1 Flurry juggles them at maximum height. For both 1 1 and 2 1. Seen here:

(Landing a NJP with your back against the corner makes position reversals even easier. If it's on a jumping opponent, the combo damage is just as high as normal corner NJP combos!)

njp, dash RK, dash under, D2, dash D1 TF, 1 1 4 SC = (33%)

njp, dash RK, dash under, D2, dash 1 1 1 RK, 1 1 4 SC = (34%)**

njp, dash RK, dash under, D2, dash 1 1 4 RK, 1 1 4 SC = (36%)**

njp, dash RK, dash under, D2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC = (36%)** **

** Only works on a jumping opponent.
** Very strict timing on the standing 3.

Mid-screen Anti-Air

Kenshi's standing 2 jab is a great AA tool when spaced correctly. It has an absurdly far horizontal reach, but it's kind of slow (12 frames). Due to the speed of it, and Kenshi's high hitbox, it doesn't make for a great reactionary AA tool. However, if you're baiting or expecting a jump in, standing 2 will destroy your opponent in the air. It stuffs jump kicks, and it leads to good damage.

There are plenty of variations on AA combos, but I only recommend one:

2, Dash D1 RK, F2 2 B2 - (22%)

You can do other follow-ups after 2, such as 2 1 RK or F2 2 RK, but sometimes they'll whiff if your opponent was at an awkward height when they got hit. The Dash D1 follow-up lets you follow their falling trajectory with your eyes, use your 6 frame D1 to pick them up, and finish smoothly.

Using a single jab as AA is strongly recommended over inputting 2 RK, or 1 RK or any jab/string canceled into RK before hit-confirming your AA jab. If you let that style of AA get into your muscle memory, you'll struggle against Kung Lao, Smoke, or anyone with additional air mobility like teleports. If they do something to alter their trajectory, your RK won't register and an additional jab will come out from the button input. You'll leave Kenshi swinging wildly in the air, as your opponent appears behind you to punish.

You can get away with using 2 1 RK as AA all inputted together, with the first hit AAing them, and the rest of the inputted string automatically juggling. But in the Kung Lao matchup especially, he can teleport before you hit him, and again you'll be swinging wildly and get punished. That's why you want to stick with single AA jabs into hit-confirm. Because if somehow you miss, you can immediately go to a defensive position.

Corner Anti-Air

2, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, Dash 3 TF, D1 SC - (35%)

2, RK, 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC - (27%)

D1 RK, 2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC - (27%)

(AA Corner Hybird)

2, F2 2 B1, D1 RK, Dash 3 TF, D1 SC - (30%)

(AA jump-in punch collision in the air)

AA jp, 2 1 B2, 3 RK, Dash 3 TF, D1 SC - (26%)

AA jp, RK, 2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC - (22%)

Unbreakable Combos

Using one bar, Kenshi can do almost 20% unbreakable damage. The total combo will be the highest if you start it with standing 2, but I always start it with F3 just to eliminate the possibility of whiffing my first attack since 2 is high. For example, if you block an Ermac teleport, and 15-20% damage will kill him but he has a breaker, just use F3 to make sure you hit him and then use the unbreakable.

F3 RK, TF, EX SC - (21%)

For a full breakdown of unbreakable options mid-screen and in the corner, check out Ultimate Kenshi: Part 3. http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/ultimate-kenshi-part-3-unbreakable-for-the-win.15626/

Odds and Ends

B2 and F2 2 B2 can be converted into a combo with a quick D3 RK (only on a standing opponent), and then followed with 3 RK, 1 1 4 SC. It's very tricky to hit, but possible.

EX Slash can be converted into a combo with a quick D1 RK or D3 RK, but if blocked it's fully punishable.

If you see any mistakes please let me know. I was up many hours completing this.

im new to the site and relatively new to MK9 but im not totally useless. i like using kenshi but i play on xbox 360, is there much hope in finding players online for 360? i mostly run into pure beasts or annoying spammers. dont mind the beasts tho

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Just a few small things I've been messing with:

F22B1 > Dash 2 > F22 xx Rising Karma > ender of choice. It does 1% more than the current F22B1 bnb, and it's actually real easy. Also it allows your followup to be 21B2 which ends in a full screen hard splat that even allows you to whiff a flurry before they wake up. The only downside is that it lowers the damage back down to the same as the current bnb (1% difference.)

21B2 > Dash d1 xx Rising Karma > ender of choice. It does the same damage but has further wall carry, and it's actually easier to me than doing a straight RK.

what do you guys thiiiiink

Pig Of The Hut Under_The_Mayo

GhosT

Noob
im new to the site and relatively new to MK9 but im not totally useless. i like using kenshi but i play on xbox 360, is there much hope in finding players online for 360? i mostly run into pure beasts or annoying spammers. dont mind the beasts tho
You play the beasts, send them friend requests let them know you are trying to get better, most of them will help you here and there. Playing better players will only help you level up.

There are quite a few good players on xbox.

Spammers only annoy you because you have not gotten skilled enough to read and react accordingly. This is a part of getting better.

Good luck on your journey

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Just a few small things I've been messing with:

F22B1 > Dash 2 > F22 xx Rising Karma > ender of choice. It does 1% more than the current F22B1 bnb, and it's actually real easy. Also it allows your followup to be 21B2 which ends in a full screen hard splat that even allows you to whiff a flurry before they wake up. The only downside is that it lowers the damage back down to the same as the current bnb (1% difference.)

21B2 > Dash d1 xx Rising Karma > ender of choice. It does the same damage but has further wall carry, and it's actually easier to me than doing a straight RK.

what do you guys thiiiiink

Pig Of The Hut Under_The_Mayo
Yeah, the dash 2, f22RK has been out there for a while since the Xray version, and it's pretty cool. You can get the hang of it with practice, but I don't like that it's spacing sensitive. Those kind's of combos I just didn't see as necessary for the guide. I like the 2 1 b2 splat at the end though. As for the 2 1 b2 dash d1 rk, I was messing with that when I posted the guide and again, it's something that I really like but it's also spacing sensitive so I didn't want to present it as a BnB. Nice to have them mentioned here in the comments though.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Yeah, the dash 2, f22RK has been out there for a while since the Xray version, and it's pretty cool. You can get the hang of it with practice, but I don't like that it's spacing sensitive. Those kind's of combos I just didn't see as necessary for the guide. I like the 2 1 b2 splat at the end though. As for the 2 1 b2 dash d1 rk, I was messing with that when I posted the guide and again, it's something that I really like but it's also spacing sensitive so I didn't want to present it as a BnB. Nice to have them mentioned here in the comments though.
I don't think the first one is spacing sensitive. I can get it off of totally max range F22B1.

The other one is though, you're right about that.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Okay looks like another simple way to deal a little bit more damage is:

F22B1 > F22B1 > D1 xx Rising Karma > Finisher

does 1% more than the usual.

LEGEND

YES!
Okay looks like another simple way to deal a little bit more damage is:

F22B1 > F22B1 > D1 xx Rising Karma > Finisher

does 1% more than the usual.
or F22B1 F22B2 D1-RK F22B2 for 37%

honestly F22B1 2 F22-RK (multiple Finisher options) .Should be the standard BnB now. It does 36 compare to the old 35 and after a whole day grind session i didn't drop it once, so i think its reliable

LEGEND

YES!
also i have new ways to end combos to avoid breaker otgs. I tried talking to Mayo about it in a stream chat when TYM was down but it was hard to communicate

basically ending BnBs with 21-sc when your opp gains breaker keeps them from nailing most otgs if they were to break. Advantage to this is your opp can't use breakers to start offense anymore, which really helps vs the likes of cage, sonya, Jax and Liu Kang. Combos ended with 21-SC lose 1% in total damage though

EGP Wonder_Chef

or F22B1 F22B2 D1-RK F22B2 for 37%

honestly F22B1 2 F22-RK (multiple Finisher options) .Should be the standard BnB now. It does 36 compare to the old 35 and after a whole day grind session i didn't drop it once, so i think its reliable
Yeah that's the one I've been practicing too.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
also Under_The_Mayo

I think this is a new optimal deep jump kick combo:

DJK > F22 xx RK > 2 > F22B2 29%
I like it, but in every case not just DJK follow ups, I'm very hesistant to recommend F22RK. DJK, AA jabs, whatever. Because if the distance isn't right or you input it slightly too slow, the whiff recovery on F22 is so bad that they'll get up and be right in your face to blow you up. I'll add it but with a little caution about that.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I like it, but in every case not just DJK follow ups, I'm very hesistant to recommend F22RK. DJK, AA jabs, whatever. Because if the distance isn't right or you input it slightly too slow, the whiff recovery on F22 is so bad that they'll get up and be right in your face to blow you up. I'll add it but with a little caution about that.
Hard kombos are optional, but that's the thing I like having those more damaging options. We kan always work are way up to them..

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Hard kombos are optional, but that's the thing I like having those more damaging options. We kan always work are way up to them..
Optimal here means a good balance between execution difficulty and the reward for doing it and the situation you're in when you do it. There are plenty of difficult combos that are not optimal at all. Just look at check, tyler latern, or any other combo artist. I'm trying to find a happy medium here. F2 2 followups to AA's or DJK's isn't something I will call optimal because of the huge problem that will occur if you miss it due to spacing or height. I'll add it but only with that information.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Optimal here means a good balance between execution difficulty and the reward for doing it and the situation you're in when you do it. There are plenty of difficult combos that are not optimal at all. Just look at check, tyler latern, or any other combo artist. I'm trying to find a happy medium here. F2 2 followups to AA's or DJK's isn't something I will call optimal because of the huge problem that will occur if you miss it due to spacing or height. I'll add it but only with that information.
Yeah. I think it would be best if you added those as options. I think people kan find for themselves what they feel komfortable with and what they don't..

There are some kombos people have thought were impractical that have ended up being used as konsistent BnBs.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Awesome!

I never figured out how to do that kombo. I kouldn't find the right timing and spacing to leave them klose enough for the d1..

That one does seem like the best though.
Definitely not adding that one. ha. It's cool and the highest damage, but in no way "optimal".

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Definitely not adding that one. ha. It's cool and the highest damage, but in no way "optimal".
Idk.. I would be trying to find out how to do it if he was my real main...
I spent many hours trying to find out how to do a Sektor kombo only to realize that besides it's inherent difficulty the main reason I failed so much was because it was stance specific.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Under_The_Mayo

You should your more advanced korner kombos onto this.

On Xmas, Chef was doing those kombos and I felt cheated for only knowing the ones you posted here after he told me they were actually some of your kombos..

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Under_The_Mayo

You should your more advanced korner kombos onto this.

On Xmas, Chef was doing those kombos and I felt cheated for only knowing the ones you posted here after he told me they were actually some of your kombos..
I'm not sure what else you want me to add. In the guide I presented basic corner combos, my standard flurry combos, high-yield flurry combos, and corner hybrids. What am I missing?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm not sure what else you want me to add. In the guide I presented basic corner combos, my standard flurry combos, high-yield flurry combos, and corner hybrids. What am I missing?
Your video guide has higher meter building kombos for the korner..

Like jip, F3 2 RK, 2, 3 TF, 1 1 4 SC is what you have posted on here.

While this one (found in your video) builds more meter: F3 2 RK, 3 RK, 3 Flurry, D1 RK, D1 SC

PS: I like that you put Hybrid Korner Kombos, that's something I neglect to research and just wing it during a match.