What's new

A discussion about the hype the game brings

Do you agree or disagree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Lol What? They learnt from their mistakes and made a much more balanced game. Mk9 was ridiculous and btw injustice isnt mk. Is there an injustice forum where you can post these opinions?
Um, do you not remember vanilla Bojutsu? Vanilla Kenshi being even worse than now? NRS didnt learn shit, they had to wait to release the game for everyone else to tell them how to balance their characters lol. NRS doesnt know how to balance shit, they depend on us to tell them how to do their job. And considering OP is comparing the hype between MKX and previous NRS games (like Injustice), my post is 100% on topic

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Injustice was a special time.. It brought a lot of new players to the scene, as well as marked a coming of age of some guys that had played MK9 but not really made their mark.

We had:
Theo
Slayer (greatly improved although he was active in MK9)
Max
Whiteboi
KDZ
Ducky (greatly improved over MK9)
Jupiter
Honeybee and Bio
Orochi
Filipinoman
Oxygen
Sonic Fox (who we knew was good in MK9, but hadn't reached his "world dominating" level yet
Rico Suave
Digit
Grr
SaltFace
Deg

I mean, this isn't even a full list. Massive infusion of new and developing blood into the scene. Also, the rivalries were particularly bitter because a lot of people felt they had something to prove after MK9. So the whole returning cast of 16 Bit, REO, Noobe, Pig, Cowboy, Vegas etc. thrown into this mix of new people was fun to watch.

We also had WNF, GGA GBS, NLBC, ATL/Scraps and The Break weekly streams, which was the best period of time for weekly tournaments and streams we've ever had.

MKX is hype in its own way though. I think the biggest change has been the consistent presence of the game's top players at every event. Before, you had to guess who was best nationally, before everyone came together at the "big" majors and duked it out. Now, you get to see a top level of play at almost every event, which is something I appreciate. ESL has also helped people travel, including international players we'd never get to see. Seeing Foxy vs. Sonic Fox is cool.

Yes it's mainly the same top players we already knew (sans Dragon), but people have become much better players over time, and the level of understanding of fighting games is much higher than it was in MK9.

I guess different strokes for different folks, but I've enjoyed both games and the different things they bring. And who knows what'll happen before EVO this year. Still a lot of road ahead!

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'll address each of the OP's points:

"There doesn't seem to be any groundbreaking tech threads"

This is just straight up false lol. REO alone has posted groundbreaking tech for numerous characters and even some universal tech. Not to mention tech threads still pop up all the time just like in Injustice. REO alone kills this point.

"Or people starting shit and then us having to watch the FT10"

Woundcowboy v. ForeverKing, Sonicfox v. PL, I mean come on man.

"Lack of rivalries"

This has some merit as the regional rivalries are all but gone(except EU v. US). However this seems to be making way for team rivalries like Cr v. Yomi, as well as some player rivalries I mentioned already like PL v. Sonicfox or Cowboy v. King. That being said there isnt nearly as many rivalries as there used to be.

"Not a whole lot of secret tech that would get us talking"

I'm assuming your talking about someone doing something at a tourney and then trying to figure it out? I also assume you are talking about legit tech and not secret brutalities because that certainly got people talking lol. I think certain character forums definitely talk about tech that is done in tournament, but it usually is stuff the character loyalists/lab monsters are already familiar with. For instance I remember people trying to breakdown what Hayatei was doing at CC and most of it was known already, he just played great. To be honest though I don't remember much of this happening in Injustice either, can you think of another time then the Sinestro example where the entire community talked about something done at a tournament?

"Maybe I'm just remembering Injustice too fondly and it was hype as MKX is now"

You are, and it is.

MKX has a much higher level of play because the best players are at every tournament, and the only new blood for U.S. tournies tends to be those traveling from overseas for the first time(which is awesome!). The other problem is the top MKX players are way above the average MKX player and there isn't that many of them. In a game like Street Fighter with such a diverse pool of greats there will be hyper matches because the matches are more competitive(although their top 8s are filled with mostly the same players as well). The NRS scene is smaller which means that you will most likely see very similar top 8 results until the scene grows and everyone gets to the top guys level.

Edit: I forgot a lot of the top Injustice players don't play MKX :p

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'll address each of the OP's points:

"There doesn't seem to be any groundbreaking tech threads"

This is just straight up false lol. REO alone has posted groundbreaking tech for numerous characters and even some universal tech. Not to mention tech threads still pop up all the time just like in Injustice. REO alone kills this point.
No, he's right -- the volume of constant tech in IGAU was another level above. But it's not the community activity, it's 2 things:

1) The game engine, which lent itself to all kinds of ridiculous shenanigans, wakeup reverse, weird corner things, all kinds of oki, and crossup setups, trait stuff, carefully timed wakeup stuffing, OTGs, lots of ambiguous situations, etc.
2) The experience with MK9 and IGAU has led people to flesh characters out a little faster now. But still, the IGAU engine has far more room for these kinds of things

It can be taken as a positive or negative for people who do/don't like the broke stuff. But the constant volume of weird Injustice tech is probably the most we've ever seen.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
No, he's right -- the volume of constant tech in IGAU was another level above. But it's not the community activity, it's 2 things:

1) The game engine, which lent itself to all kinds of ridiculous shenanigans, wakeup reverse, weird corner things, and crossup setups, trait stuff
2) The experience with MK9 and IGAU has led people to flesh characters out a little faster now. But still, the IGAU engine has far more room for these kinds of things

It can be taken as a positive or negative for people who do/don't like the broke stuff. But the constant volume of weird Injustice tech is probably the most we've ever seen.
That's true but he said there hasn't been any tech threads for MKX recently, which as I said is not the case.

But if we are talking which game had more tech threads then yeah, Injustice wins by a mile.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
That's true but he said there hasn't been any tech threads for MKX recently, which as I said is not the case.

But if we are talking which game had more tech threads then yeah, Injustice wins by a mile.
Still though, there arent any gamebreaking techs and even then, some of the tech that have been posted recently has been known in the respective general discussion character forum. Prime example is the Goro tech REO posted, regarding the trade off KW Goro's chest lunge, which leads to a full combo for Goro. That was known, even REO himself mentioned it. It was known in the Goro general forum, you just have to look for it.

The only tech i ve recently seen that was relatively new, was the "wave dashing" tech, REO posted. Other than that, i havent seen any ground breaking tech threads lurking around.

Last edited: