What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

I’d like to hear you guys opinions on NA’s showing at EVO Japan lol. I’m not familiar with all the players in top 24, but I don’t think a single NA player made it. And I thought the players who traveled over there were nice.

Japan and Korea can’t be that much better. Can they? And I don’t want to hear about it being their home turf cause Kkokoma a Korean Feng came over to NA and won electric clash.
You missed Jimmy J Tran who is a US Bryan player but yes this is normal (You would usually bet on Jimmy to reach the furthest out of the US entrants in the past.)

Immortal

Blind justice....
EVO Japan Top 6 was amazing. Chikurin won very convincingly with Lili over LowHigh Dragunov not only once but two times(winners finals and grand final).

Before the tournament who would have thought that a Lili player gonna win? or that an Alisa player(Chanel) gonna finish 3rd? Not to mention two Law players in Top 6.

The game is way more balanced than most people would like to admit. At the very least the Dragunov and Azucena crybabies calling for nerfs can go... and be silent.

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
Full patch notes.

WTF.... are they high?

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
While that sucks, many characters have whiff issues on walls, some are even universal like Rage arts to end a combo on weird angle wall hitting but not connecting. This should be fixed at some point. Thou to be honest, people make Kazuya work even on the highest ranks despite these issues.
No doubt. I just read the latest patch notes and some of the issues I'm having have been addressed. I've also learnt some of the off axis stuff and am fixing how I play. I agree he is mediocre in this game but he is still viable.

It's just a kick in the ass when it's set point and some random shit wiffs to a loss. But you see other characters random 3 hit on strings hit when you side walk to their backs.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Full patch notes.

WTF.... are they high?
80% nerfs.

20% buffs.

This patch sucks.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Played the absolute HELL of this game for the past 3 months, so I think now will be a good time for me to take a break and see how these will affect the game. I'm especially curious to see how they'll change throws and the heat mechanic in the June patch because those have been really annoying for me to deal with.

Immortal

Blind justice....
80% nerfs.

20% buffs.

This patch sucks.
I have no words, instead of some mild nerfs to Azucena and Dragunov they just fucking did them even worse than they did Dragunov in Tekken 7. Nerfing WR2... while other characters like Victor have even better now on top of launching low. This makes 0 sense, WR2 now will give you barely anything and people just gonna mash the hell out of it(if they dont step it first, coz unlike Victors "culpas" Dragunovs WR2 is easy to step), coz nothing of value is gauranteed anymore and on top of that they nerfed the living crap of db34 AND df1,4. Not to mention slight damage nerf which of all the nerfs was probably the only one he needed.

Man, this just sucks.

Well they wanted less people playing Dragunov and Azucena, to that i say - mission accomplished. It's way to early to say this 100% but i see no reason to play Dragunov by anybody competing in offline tournaments now, outside of obvious hardcore layalists who will abandon him later, like they did in T7.

Oh and great buffs for Lars lol. They really gave him everything Lars mains hoped for, lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Played the absolute HELL of this game for the past 3 months, so I think now will be a good time for me to take a break and see how these will affect the game. I'm especially curious to see how they'll change throws and the heat mechanic in the June patch because those have been really annoying for me to deal with.
Opposite for me. I've been away for work the last couple of weeks so missing out on all the goodies, but I get back Sunday and am gonna play so much my eyes are gonna fall out lol. Catching up on Evo Japan now.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Well i finally made it to Tekken King, actually i'm pretty close to Tekken Emperor now but its bitter-sweat knowing what's coming with the newest patch.

On the bright side i learned a lot of match ups over last few weeks, no longer losing to mediocre Kings, Yoshimitsu or Eddy players, thou i still think Yoshimitsu parry is total BS, most Yoshi players dont even bother with any kind of defense, they just do parry at random spots or tornado back with that evade move and wait for you to press and that's still the case even on Tekken King/Emperor/God ranks.

After getting more into the patch notes i think Asuka gonna be crazy good, so will Bryan. I'm really annoyed with the Dragunovs nerfs, thou thats probably a good moment to start working on my secondary character which will be... as for now i have no clue.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
Lets see... Zafina got:
1,4 is now a sit stun... granting her 20 more advantage frames to play with.
TRT DF1 is +7 from -6....
Running 1+2 (high TRT transition) is homing and faster.

Hmmm.. i guess Azazel finally decided to wake up.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Well i finally made it to Tekken King, actually i'm pretty close to Tekken Emperor now but its bitter-sweat knowing what's coming with the newest patch.

On the bright side i learned a lot of match ups over last few weeks, no longer losing to mediocre Kings, Yoshimitsu or Eddy players, thou i still think Yoshimitsu parry is total BS, most Yoshi players dont even bother with any kind of defense, they just do parry at random spots or tornado back with that evade move and wait for you to press and that's still the case even on Tekken King/Emperor/God ranks.

After getting more into the patch notes i think Asuka gonna be crazy good, so will Bryan. I'm really annoyed with the Dragunovs nerfs, thou thats probably a good moment to start working on my secondary character which will be... as for now i have no clue.
Congratulations! This game is tough until you get the knowledge checks, the mechanics, and your offense down. Then it’s simply player vs player.

Yoshi’s parry is ridiculous. I’m not a tekken expert, so I don’t know how it should be nerfed. But you have to second guess touching him a lot which is a big deal in an aggressive game like this. Not to mention his other strong tools.

You really think Dragunov is ruined? A top American Dragunov player named “Fear of silence” says that he’ll be fine.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I finally made it to raijin rank. Thanks for all the videos you put out @Eddy Wang. They really help. Im happy our boy Jin avoided the nerf hammer :D I make it my mission to downplay him whenever possible.

Propaganda works!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I will be surprised if the buffs to the low tier characters (i.e., Leroy, Steve, Zafina, etc.) actually make a difference.

Most players who use Azucena, Dragunov, and Jun will be switching characters.

Arslan Ash and Ulsan have already tweeted that they will no longer be competing with Azucena. LOL.

Because of the major content creators and their primitive minds, I expect more nerfs in the next patch, namely to Alisa, Lili, and Victor.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I will be surprised if the buffs to the low tier characters (i.e., Leroy, Steve, Zafina, etc.) actually make a difference.

Most players who use Azucena, Dragunov, and Jun will be switching characters.

Arslan Ash and Ulsan have already tweeted that they will no longer be competing with Azucena. LOL.

Because of the major content creators and their primitive minds, I expect more nerfs in the next patch, namely to Alisa, Lili, and Victor.
victor doesn't do anything outstanding, i don't think the character will take another hit this soon, specially since his normal throws were practically his entire game comdictioner

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
Yoshi’s parry is ridiculous. I’m not a tekken expert, so I don’t know how it should be nerfed. But you have to second guess touching him a lot which is a big deal in an aggressive game like this. Not to mention his other strong tools.
You can't realy pressure him and there is no real counter play to the parry, you have to guess if he gonna use it or not, so your +frames means nothing. They also use that evade to get away from you to which there is a counter play - throws or fast-tracking moves but any smart Yoshi will mix their evade with parry as soon as you start throwing to prevent them from using evade, so youre guessing again. When you look at most Yoshi players profile at Tekken King or higher rank their defense stat is in like low 40 lol.... and it's understandable why bother with blocking....

You really think Dragunov is ruined? A top American Dragunov player named “Fear of silence” says that he’ll be fine.
Every high level, offline tournament Dragunov player from Kr/Jp(LowHigh, JDCR, Nobe) already said Dragunov is dead after this patch, on stream or on X. You will still see him online or in online tournaments but for offline, highest level tournaments, yeah Dragunov is just dead.

Namco knee-jerk reaction to him is even worse than it was in T7 where he was widely seen as a bottom tier character after the nerfs. It's way worse now coz of how agressive T8 is and they just nerfed the living crap out of EVERY good offensive tool he have.

victor doesn't do anything outstanding, i don't think the character will take another hit this soon, specially since his normal throws were practically his entire game comdictioner
Victor is a weaker Dragunov atm but he will be a better version of him after the patch. I expect nerfs to ff2 and a nerf to the reach of that low launcher on ch. Lili and Alisa are obviously next on the chopping block, so yeah i agree with Dave on this one.

Last edited:

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
You do have to be mindful of Yoshimitsus flash, but there is most certainly counterplay to it.
I cant speak for every character but Zafina will definitely be better

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Victor is a weaker Dragunov atm but he will be a better version of him after the patch. I expect nerfs to ff2 and a nerf to the reach of that low launcher on ch. Lili and Alisa are obviously next on the chopping block, so yeah i agree with Dave on this one.
His selling point it's the low at this rate

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Victor's WR+2 is very similar to Dragunov's WR+2 in terms of frame data, hitbox, and function. I expect changes to the damage and block frames.

The damage on b+1+2 will probably be reduced because heat b+1+2~f, u+1+2 almost does a combo worth of damage.

Everything else will likely remain the same, but you never know with Namco.