What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) Official Gameplay Trailer

The very first gameplay footage of NetherRealm's new Mortal Kombat 1 was showcased at Summer Game Fest 2023 (hosted by Geoff Keighley). The trailer features Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, a sighted Kenshi, Kitana, and Mileena, as well as cameos from Goro, Sonya, Kano, Stryker and Jax.

Main gameplay:
  1. Kung Lao vs. Sub Zero
  2. Johnny Cage vs. Kenshi
  3. Scorpion vs. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden vs. Kenshi
Shorter gameplay clips:
  • Sub Zero vs. Raiden
  • Mileena vs. Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao vs. Johnny Cage
Kameo characters (may also be main cast):
  • Goro
  • Sonya
  • Kano
  • Stryker
  • Jax

Comments

Visuals look ok but disappointed overall. I didn't like mk11, and it looks as though NetherRealm is sticking with that style of game play.
Gotta be honest, as a 40+ year old who cut his teeth on MK1 and MK2, and in being the only fighting game franchise I've ever cared about, I genuinely cannot understand the hate towards MK11? It felt like a love letter to classic Mortal Kombat. It was hard, heavy, hit like a ton of bricks, played like the 90s fine-tuned for the modern era. You could win with professionally trained combos, or good old fashioned sweeps and chin-breaking uppercuts. To each their own, but I honestly cannot see how anyone who ever loved MK2 especially, could not enjoy MK11? :oops:

Idk where everybody is getting that it looks like MK11.

Animations? Ok sure, I can see it there. But the gameplay looks completely different. Between the assists and air combos it looks like NRS was really taking some inspiration from the Vs series with this one. Not saying it’s going to play like those games obviously, but I think they took a lot of the criticism of 11 and are trying to do the exact opposite

I’m not saying the game will be great or anything, 11 looked amazing to me at first as well but I ended up being pretty disappointed with the gameplay there. But first impressions, I don’t think it looks like the last game at all.

Last edited:
Idk where everybody is saying it look like MK11.

Animations? Ok sure, I can see it there. But the gameplay looks completely different. Between the assists and air combos it looks like NRS was really taking some inspiration from the Vs series with this one. Not saying it’s going to play like those games obviously, but I think they took a lot of the criticism of 11 and are trying to do the exact opposite

I’m not saying the game will be great or anything, 11 looked amazing to me at first as well but I ended up being pretty disappointed with the gameplay there. But first impressions, I don’t think it looks like the last game at all.
yep, agreed, the gameplay shown more aerial options for combos, combo extension, and long combos , and a more fast paced gameplay rhythm than MK11 :cool:

as always, a lot of people already complaning without waiting for more gameplay videos along the Kombat Kasts for futher gameplay mechanics demostration and explanation, and so, no surprise ..... every single fucking MK game , people complain about something on exageratted tone without even testing the fucking game ! :p

I was hoping to see movement closer to MK9. I didn't see that, but I'm not giving up hope. Art and design look great and somehow off at the same time. (Flat? Model quality? Idk) I like the idea of more combo varety, air combos, khameo combo extenders, etc.

I enjoyed Mk11 but I hope that MK1 is more than just MK11 with different universal mechanics.

I'm totally gonna get grilled for this. But my initial thoughts when the fight game play started was "this looks like a cartoon"... There's something about the special effects that look cheap to me. Almost to a fortnite or mobile game level, especially on something like when Kung Lao's kameo character does the spin, that effect around him looks so cheap. Or even the pink glow around Mileena when she rolls.

Anyways will need to re-watch a few times to see if my thoughts change.
So I just watched the 4k vid from the official channel and I change my mind. This game looks amazing! Can't wait to see more!

The use of the Ij2 clash animation and the odd Kameo system, which would work much better in a DC game with a bazillion characters, lead me to believe this was IJ3 turned into MK1 for some arcane corporate reason at some point in development.

Also Kameos feel like a disappointment already, but tbh, I still like it because I get to see Khameleon in a new MK game. Can't say much else yet. reserving judgement.

Game looks amazing...got to see Stryker, Jax, Goro, Kitana, Johnny....only person I did not get to see is my beloved Jade and Baraka.

I do have a theory though. All of the Kameo fighters who are base roster/confirmed playable fully (Kung Lao and Sub-Zero) are in their original debut skins (just like Sonya, Kano, Jax and Stryker). I suspect all four are base roster and Goro may just be a Kameo because he is not presented in his classic attire like the others. I find it odd he is the one exception to this rule. This seems like a sign to me. Maybe we are getting Kintaro/vengeance arc maybe?

The use of the Ij2 clash animation and the odd Kameo system, which would work much better in a DC game with a bazillion characters, lead me to believe this was IJ3 turned into MK1 for some arcane corporate reason at some point in development.

Also Kameos feel like a disappointment already. Can't say much else yet. reserving judgement.
There is no clash. That is just the loading screen between Kharacters select and the fighting

Also Kameos feel like a disappointment already, but tbh, I still like it because I get to see Khameleon in a new MK game. Can't say much else yet. reserving judgement.
I speculated the same thing. Air combat also makes sense in the context of a superhero game where half of the roster has flight abilities.

To those who are saying it looks like MK11, I can tell y’all never played other fighters

There’s something called “legacy games”, in which the new product is just the previous game, but updated. Not saying MK1 is a legacy game, but it does look MK11-ish, and I’m fine with that. The fact that it looks like they took MK11 and added combos, breakers and the OG meter system back is more than enough for me to have huge hopes for the game. Hopefully they tweaked this game’s “fatal blow” (or whatever they’ll call it)

FGs do this concept all the time. Street fighter, tekken, soul calibur, even NRS did it with Injustice. It wouldn’t be the first time MK went this route

Last edited: