What's new

TYM Online Tourney Discussion & Setup

When and what kind of tourney would you like to see next? (FT3 all thru & double elim)

• $10 Entry July 21st (1st and 2nd prize with 1st prize trophy)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Hey everyone! Our first MK11 online tourney is complete and I would like to get any feedback from everyone. Whether you participated or not, let's talk about setup and building this thing into something awesome.

Here are my takeaways from this last one and possible adjustments for future events:

• Maintain tighter scheduling for matches, condensed into more precise windows. (one day if possible)
  • Change structure to best of 3 series for matches up to GF, double elimination brackets.
  • Explore entry fees of $5-$20? (Winner takes all or 1st, 2nd, 3rd payouts?)
  • Check ins required and strict enforcement of DQ's to eliminate unnecessary waiting.
  • Probably still do free tourneys here and there, maybe custom variation ones depending on how many entrants.

STREAMING
This is a HUGE opportunity for us here. @Vslayer and @Wazurau did an excellent job, no question! With enough notice, we definitely need to blast out more matches when we have them to gain more viewers and ultimately more traffic to the TYM website. This in turn means a larger community, more players, bigger tourneys, etc. I believe at one point the most views we had was 20 for the PSN GF, can you imagine 500? Or even 1,000??

TYM League
Ok so... no one flip out when they read this. LOL! I have a feeling most of us know how we feel about the new "Kombat League" in MK11 online. There's a lot of mixed reactions to it, mostly negative from what I've seen. Bad connections, poor sportsmanship, people disconnecting... So what I have to present to you is merely a concept or idea of something WE could do on our own that would be fun.
Here's what I have so far:

• Unique prizes and tournament entry fees waived for future TYM events. (possible sponsorship to locals or major events??)
  • A "Coach" option where a high level player can sit AFK, play matches with you, help you improve over time in the league season.
  • "Seasons" could be quarterly, example being July to end of September.
  • TYM member enrollment only, this will stand out in a BIG way from the actual KL with the poor sportsmanship we've see on there.
  • Could be free, or possible entry fee seasonal/annual but very inexpensive $5-$20? (will payout to league winners and extra prizes)
  • A CONSISTENT and constantly updated ranking system between wins, losses, and statistics of TYM member only matches in the league.

Thanks again and let me know what you think!
@STORMS @Juggs @Vslayer

Last edited by a moderator:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I loved it, the tournament was a blast. Awesome people and great games. The TO, Commentary and Stream was great and the members where respectful. I personally think this is something TYM needs, not only will it bring members closer but I think it will squash many arguments from realization that many if the members are solid players.

@Dreamcatcher I think that's a good idea. One thing though I hope the tournaments stay 2-3 day because I wakeup in pain every day and treat with herbs that's most of the reason I have to take couple hour breaks between sets.

I'm loving the point system too.
When you setup the next one I'm in and let me know before Cuz I'll try to get more pmembers involved and possibly STB clan and KHTC clan so we have top teams in there as well. I know a few from STB (hellbringer was) and KHTC I used to practice with them back in X.
I'll also ask Sonic, HoneyBee, REO and Dragon to have them and their friends enter in as well(how cool would that be). Once they see how nice the players actually are I think many will come.

LawAbidingCitizen

Wait... what? :eek:

Actually I played @REO in a UMK3 Tourney about a decade ago where he knocked me out in the 2nd Round. Lol I doubt he remembers.
I've played HoneyBee (he won 14-6) REO and Sonic and I've played NinjaKilla they won the majority but forget the score. It was back in MKX.

I think playing top players will only make us better. We can weed out our bad habits and adjust until they can't beat us. I've beaten a few topplayers before(GGA Jeremiah, Bio) but I'm still getting the hang of matchups and my character on 11 and I'm sure most including Sonic will body me lol.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I've played HoneyBee (he won 14-6) REO and Sonic and I've played NinjaKilla they won the majority but forget the score. It was back in MKX.

I think playing top players will only make us better. We can weed out our bad habits and adjust until they can't beat us. I've beaten a few topplayers before(GGA Jeremiah, Bio) but I'm still getting the hang of matchups and my character on 11 and I'm sure most including Sonic will body me lol.
I'm not going to lie, before I really talked to him, I thought Based Pr0digy was Scar under an XBL tag. Lol
Plays Sonya almost the EXACT same way, I've watched all of Scar's matches online to absorb Sonya experience and tech.

But yeah, sounds good man! Do your thing and if you can bring anyone here (pros or all players) we will welcome them to the site and future tourneys.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Is it up on YouTube? I want to see the finals.
The matches are on my YT I’m uploading the finals right now but they’re longer so they’re taking a longer time. Search Psychology Nerd on YT and I made a playlist called TYM tourney. I’ll probably ask Dreamcatcher to add them to the tourney thread of we’re gonna use the same one next time.

LawAbidingCitizen

I'm not going to lie, before I really talked to him, I thought Based Pr0digy was Scar under an XBL tag. Lol
Plays Sonya almost the EXACT same way, I've watched all of Scar's matches online to absorb Sonya experience and tech.

But yeah, sounds good man! Do your thing and if you can bring anyone here (pros or all players) we will welcome them to the site and future tourneys.
Yeah I thought so too. His scorpion was very similar pocket as well. His footsies where solid. I have some things to improve on, I know scorpion is a bad MU for Shang but I think if I play Shang right I can make it even with Soulsteal. Yeah he was a scary player. I didn't get to play his Sonya but I only played his scorpion.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
The matches are on my YT I’m uploading the finals right now but they’re longer so they’re taking a longer time. Search Psychology Nerd on YT and I made a playlist called TYM tourney. I’ll probably ask Dreamcatcher to add them to the tourney thread of we’re gonna use the same one next time.
Nice commentary lol. Watched the semi and will check out finals later thanks.

Goblin representing the Kahn! My boy!

I love the idea of having multiple payouts for players who made top 3, 4, exc.
I'd rather have Ft3 matches, but I understand things are soo much easier for the TO's when it's ft2. Especially in double elim. so I'd be okay with that too.
I think strict check ins are a must, though it didn't seem to be that big of a deal from what i can tell. & Having commentators is always fun.

Also having your own separate ranking system is such a good idea. It's a great motivator & gives people something extra to play for.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Wouldn't hold your breath on top players joining (although I suppose they could if the prize pools were enticing) cause most of them hate this place for whatever reason.
Would be cool, but yeah I'm sure they have reasons to keep to themselves. They are preoccupied with their own events, streams, and following. Depending on entry fee and how many participants it could be a healthy payout for the winner though. You take say 32 entrants, $20 entry fee = $640 grand prize payout AND a trophy. Plus you don't have to travel anywhere. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

LawAbidingCitizen

Wouldn't hold your breath on top players joining (although I suppose they could if the prize pools were enticing) cause most of them hate this place for whatever reason.
I know Sonia does but that's because people are rude when tensions are high but I honestly believe I can get some if them to participate. I know sponsored players probably won't cuz its bad for rep but I think players like Shujinkydink and maybe Destoryer might. Its worth a try I know we all want to learn from them and when they see how TYM really is and how sportsman like we are I bet they will change their mind about TYM. I know there are more good people on TYM than bad.

LawAbidingCitizen

I say next could be
FT3
Losers Bracket
Would be shorter but still enough time to make comebacks..

Maybe a $5 entry fee with 32 players = $160 prize pool. It would be cool if 1st through 3rd got pot but we would need more entrants for that I suppose.

sars

Noob
I say do a poll to see what people would pay about the buyin. Some people might be hesitant to pay 20$ if they know there not very good. 5 or 10 might bring more people in.having a 32 man 5$ bracket will be more fun than having an 8 man 20$ bracket. Even though it would be about the same amount of money. I think we only had 2 people get DQd for not checking in so that was good but I do agree with checking in by a certain time. I think the main thing is to keep it fun so newer people that come will have fun. Maybe do a big 20 dollar tournament for 20 dollars every 3 months or so for people that want that. TYM is a great place to learn, and I think these tournaments are amazing. Feel like everyone had a great time.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
I loved how the tournament was ran with the three separate days because it was real flexible for everyone's schedule. I also liked the ft3-ft5-ft10 idea. But I woudnt mind if it was Ft3 all the way through one day so it doesnt last too long.

I dont like the idea of Ft2 because I dont want it to feel like Kombat League. Players like Jakealo who were good at adapting wouldnt get a chance to show there true skill, I think ft3 would be perfect.

A $5 entry fee would be good with payouts to top 3 or 4. It would give players motivaton to get better for each tournament

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
An entry fee would also help weed out any non-committed players, reducing the chance of no-shows. Hell, even a $5 fee would help with that, and with, say, 30 players joining, that's a healthy $150 to add to the pot.

I think this went about as well as a random online-only tournament could go. The only major issue I had was that one of my opponents was more than an hour late for our scheduled time, which kind of derailed my day. It wasn't a huge deal, but I could for sure see someone getting upset about a late opponent, especially once they've put down money to participate.

sars

Noob
I loved how the tournament was ran with the three separate days because it was real flexible for everyone's schedule. I also liked the ft3-ft5-ft10 idea. But I woudnt mind if it was Ft3 all the way through one day so it doesnt last too long.

I dont like the idea of Ft2 because I dont want it to feel like Kombat League. Players like Jakealo who were good at adapting wouldnt get a chance to show there true skill, I think ft3 would be perfect.

A $5 entry fee would be good with payouts to top 3 or 4. It would give players motivaton to get better for each tournament
I agree my 2nd round match I would of won the first to 2, my opponent would of won the first to 3 and I won the first to 5. I think ft 2 is to short but first to 3 or 5 no one can really complain about. Especially if someone is paying money. The more matches they get to play the better

LawAbidingCitizen

I loved that it was FT5 sets, I know I felt I had more time to adapt. I despise FT2 on Kombat League and feel like I can cheese out wins on there.
$20 buy ins will be too much for me. I have a ton if bills and I cut it close every month so I hope there are more $2.50 - $5 tourneys I was also thinking we could get money for the stream on twitch and YouTube monetization and can donate a portion to TYM and the TO's for putting in do much work. I'd also like to see if we can do a GoFundMe type of thing for future tournaments I'm sure many from the community will chip in if it helps TYM and fosters bigger tournouts.
Maybe we can choose to donate to Storms for organizing tournament rankings and live streams in the future.
Don't know if I'll ever place first but if top 3 gets paid I'd be willing to donate half of it to TYM/TOs/Commentators/Stream Organizers on any future tourney. To me its not about the money more about the learning experience and community growing.

I can see our community growing with this and seeing bigger brackets once word gets out. My experience during this tournament was worlds better than playing online (douchebags). Everyone was awesome and professional and talented I am always down to play sets with all of you.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Y’all should try one of those auction things from combobreaker. That was really entertaining. Im surprised that kind of stuff isn’t around more. I’ve never seen it before anyway. I watched some dude pay top dollar for a samsho character and get mopped lol. I felt so bad for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.