What's new

The Food Thread

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
How are you balancing the quantity of dark brown sugar vs the other seasoning? You do it just for the occasion or you do larger quantities for future uses?

Wanted to test some dishes with teryaki sause, but found too many recipes. Yours looks simple!

Nevan_PTF

I can't cook but am trying to lean from my friend who does and my mom. Basic stuff like grilled cheese, sandwiches and homemade pizza are easy. But I am not confident with meat, fish, chicken etc. You guys ever watch good eats or any cooking shows?
I really like to cook and I was lucky that both my parents and granny taught me a lot. Most recipes are easier to do by watching and then trying by yourself. Don't be afraid to screw up as well haha It will happen, I lost count of the times I burnt rice or overcooked a steak x')

Try to find some food/dishes you really like, then search for some recipes, check the ones that seem reasonable to do and that you can easily get your ingredients. Then get to work! Ask where to get good meat, good fish, fresh veggies and etc.

I worked as a butchers apprentice for a while, so I'll give some tips regarding meat. If you wanted minced meat, then ask for the butcher to cut a piece, of your choosing, and mince it for you, 1x or 2x are enough. Don't pick the already displayed minced meat.

Avoid "fresh sausages", unless you REALLY trust your butcher. Those "fresh sausages" are usually made of synthetic "skin" and a mix of meats, like old scraps and etc. This is mostly common at super markets, in order to have more profit, whereas in local butchers it's common for the meat quality to be much better.

As for fish, try to avoid, if possible, aquaculture and go for fish caught in the sea/ocean, it can be more expensive yes, but the quality is way better. You can go to a local place where they sell fish or in a supermarket as well.

Here in Portugal we are lucky to have a shitload of great ingredients to work with! In other countries/continents some ingredients can be expensive.

One of the simplest dishes you can try for starters is a Spaghetti Bolognese. You just need spaghetti, tomato, garlic, onions and minced meat.

You start by putting water on a pan, up to half, put some salt, sea salt preferably, I put 1,5 teaspoon of it. Put the cover on it and let it boil.

While the water is staring to boil, season the minced meat. I put on a bowl and I season it with salt, pepper and I mix it with my hands a couple of times.

Now take the time to chop of some onion, garlic, if you don't want to use garlic powder(if you do, season the meat with it as well). Put some olive oil on a pan, heat it for a bit and then add the onion and the garlic. Let them get "blonde", sit the garlic and onion so they won't get burnt, and then add the meat.

The water should be boiling by now, so can take of the cover, and put the spaghetti into the water. Now you can choose to break the spaghetti in half of not, it comes down to preference and not breaking the spaghetti is more a tradition than a rule lol I don't break it, I hold it with both hands, one at the top and bottom, and lower it in the middle of the pan. This way, when you let it go, it will "open" and spread along the pan. Now you help "sink" the spaghetti in the water, gently so you don't break it, with a utensil, like a wood spoon.

Once it's all under water, add a bit of olive oil, this will help the spaghetti not to stick to each other. Lower the heat, put the cover, but don't cover the pan completely. Use the wood spoon, or other utensil, to be between the pan and the cover. This will help you to check if the water starts boiling and gets out of the pan. From time to time, check of the spaghetti, stir it and to check if it's cooked. The spaghetti cooks fast, depending on how you like it, so in 5-7m it's ready. If you like it "al dente", this means the spaghetti has some resistance when you bite it but it's not raw - it's mandatory in Italy to cook spaghetti like this, 5/6m is ready but you can pick one up and try it.

Now the meat, it's now in the pan, stir it for a bit, when you see it's starting getting cooked, add the tomato, I generally use tomato sauce/pulp, stir it and let it cook. Since tomato can be "sweet", taste the meat and check if you need to add more salt.

Once it's cooked just serve and eat! Spaghetti bottom, meat on top and add some grated cheese.

Sry for the wall of text LMAO! Got carried away x'D

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
All you really need to do is follow the recipes, it's not as hard as people make it look. You can use cooking shows, i certainly have but best to have the options of pause and rewind so you don't miss writing down important things.

With most meats, an easy idiot-proof is enclosing them in an airtight foil "envelope" before placing on a baking sheet for X amount of time at X00 degrees F. It keeps all the moisture trapped inside and even allows a bit of leighway if you overcook.

What types of things are you looking for help learning to cook?
Just to learn how to for survival reasons
I really like to cook and I was lucky that both my parents and granny taught me a lot. Most recipes are easier to do by watching and then trying by yourself. Don't be afraid to screw up as well haha It will happen, I lost count of the times I burnt rice or overcooked a steak x')

Try to find some food/dishes you really like, then search for some recipes, check the ones that seem reasonable to do and that you can easily get your ingredients. Then get to work! Ask where to get good meat, good fish, fresh veggies and etc.

I worked as a butchers apprentice for a while, so I'll give some tips regarding meat. If you wanted minced meat, then ask for the butcher to cut a piece, of your choosing, and mince it for you, 1x or 2x are enough. Don't pick the already displayed minced meat.

Avoid "fresh sausages", unless you REALLY trust your butcher. Those "fresh sausages" are usually made of synthetic "skin" and a mix of meats, like old scraps and etc. This is mostly common at super markets, in order to have more profit, whereas in local butchers it's common for the meat quality to be much better.

As for fish, try to avoid, if possible, aquaculture and go for fish caught in the sea/ocean, it can be more expensive yes, but the quality is way better. You can go to a local place where they sell fish or in a supermarket as well.

Here in Portugal we are lucky to have a shitload of great ingredients to work with! In other countries/continents some ingredients can be expensive.

One of the simplest dishes you can try for starters is a Spaghetti Bolognese. You just need spaghetti, tomato, garlic, onions and minced meat.

You start by putting water on a pan, up to half, put some salt, sea salt preferably, I put 1,5 teaspoon of it. Put the cover on it and let it boil.

While the water is staring to boil, season the minced meat. I put on a bowl and I season it with salt, pepper and I mix it with my hands a couple of times.

Now take the time to chop of some onion, garlic, if you don't want to use garlic powder(if you do, season the meat with it as well). Put some olive oil on a pan, heat it for a bit and then add the onion and the garlic. Let them get "blonde", sit the garlic and onion so they won't get burnt, and then add the meat.

The water should be boiling by now, so can take of the cover, and put the spaghetti into the water. Now you can choose to break the spaghetti in half of not, it comes down to preference and not breaking the spaghetti is more a tradition than a rule lol I don't break it, I hold it with both hands, one at the top and bottom, and lower it in the middle of the pan. This way, when you let it go, it will "open" and spread along the pan. Now you help "sink" the spaghetti in the water, gently so you don't break it, with a utensil, like a wood spoon.

Once it's all under water, add a bit of olive oil, this will help the spaghetti not to stick to each other. Lower the heat, put the cover, but don't cover the pan completely. Use the wood spoon, or other utensil, to be between the pan and the cover. This will help you to check if the water starts boiling and gets out of the pan. From time to time, check of the spaghetti, stir it and to check if it's cooked. The spaghetti cooks fast, depending on how you like it, so in 5-7m it's ready. If you like it "al dente", this means the spaghetti has some resistance when you bite it but it's not raw - it's mandatory in Italy to cook spaghetti like this, 5/6m is ready but you can pick one up and try it.

Now the meat, it's now in the pan, stir it for a bit, when you see it's starting getting cooked, add the tomato, I generally use tomato sauce/pulp, stir it and let it cook. Since tomato can be "sweet", taste the meat and check if you need to add more salt.

Once it's cooked just serve and eat! Spaghetti bottom, meat on top and add some grated cheese.

Sry for the wall of text LMAO! Got carried away x'D
lol wow that's ok. I think I just want to learn to like survive and impress dates lol. I have to learn how to make eggs(I know they're easy right lol) Youtube has lots of food vids I've noticed. Wow that's a lot of detail there, are you like a cook or something or you do it for hobby? I wish I can make a pizza taste like from the pizzeria but they have special super duper ovens apparently different than homes ones lol

MKF30

All you really need to do is follow the recipes, it's not as hard as people make it look. You can use cooking shows, i certainly have but best to have the options of pause and rewind so you don't miss writing down important things.

With most meats, an easy idiot-proof is enclosing them in an airtight foil "envelope" before placing on a baking sheet for X amount of time at X00 degrees F. It keeps all the moisture trapped inside and even allows a bit of leighway if you overcook.

What types of things are you looking for help learning to cook?
Yeah, I just want to learn for the future and perhaps to impress a date or something, when friends come by etc I heard nobody is ordering chinese food because of coronavirus lol at least here in NYC, their businesses took a bit of a hit since then.

Nevan_PTF

Nah haha Just a hobby and I like to eat so that goes hand to hand x'D

Eggs are easy BUT it's also really easy to screw them up, specially boiled eggs :p

Regarding the pizza, I bet the secret its the pizza dough and using a wood based oven.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Nah haha Just a hobby and I like to eat so that goes hand to hand x'D

Eggs are easy BUT it's also really easy to screw them up, specially boiled eggs :p

Regarding the pizza, I bet the secret its the pizza dough and using a wood based oven.
It´s not the Wood, it´s the oven. An oven made of Stone makes a much better Pizza. Don´t ask me why, just saying what my italian Buddy is telling me :)

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings

Wanted to know myself so here we go for whoever wants to know :)

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I can't cook but am trying to lean from my friend who does and my mom. Basic stuff like grilled cheese, sandwiches and homemade pizza are easy. But I am not confident with meat, fish, chicken etc. You guys ever watch good eats or any cooking shows?
Meat Eater and Bizarre Foods. My parents taught me how to cook growing up, so I just watch those for fun. I'm also a hunter, so any game recipes are awesome. You'll get it brother! As my Mother says "Anyone can cook! All it really takes is learning what goes with what and a few basic techniques."

Wish you lived around me homie, we'd have a few Cold Beer and How To Prepare Meat days, lol.

MKF30

It´s not the Wood, it´s the oven. An oven made of Stone makes a much better Pizza. Don´t ask me why, just saying what my italian Buddy is telling me :)
Yeah there's so many kinds of pizza, here in NYC we have places with brike ovens, pizza ovens all kinds of ovens that make pretty much every kind of pizza imaginable. I personally am not a huge fan of brick oven, as I don't like super crispy pizza but with pizza we all have preferences. I love sicilian so thick and filling!

MKF30

Meat Eater and Bizarre Foods. My parents taught me how to cook growing up, so I just watch those for fun. I'm also a hunter, so any game recipes are awesome. You'll get it brother! As my Mother says "Anyone can cook! All it really takes is learning what goes with what and a few basic techniques."

Wish you lived around me homie, we'd have a few Cold Beer and How To Prepare Meat days, lol.
Oh neat. Yeah here where I am hunting isn't allowed but we've had a huge increase in deer past 5 years so they're considering allowing monitored hunting(not passed yet) whatever that is I guess if they pass it with certain weapons, conditions etc. Only animal I think I'd have trouble eating is a little bunny because they're so cute lol. My friends tell me who've had it like "it's just a bunny, they're good taste like chicken" lol Yeah my mom said she learned from watching her mom, but then she's italian so I think they're naturally gifted with that stuff where as some of my other friends are german, scottish etc they cook but they're not as good according to my friends(their sons) lol

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
How are you balancing the quantity of dark brown sugar vs the other seasoning? You do it just for the occasion or you do larger quantities for future uses?

Wanted to test some dishes with teryaki sause, but found too many recipes. Yours looks simple!
I use 6 Tbsp olive oil
6 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp of brown sugar, firmly packed
3 TSP of garlic powder
Then whisk

Also i understand your point about fish however farmed and sustainable sources are essential for the planets well-being. whether you realize it or not, humans have pretty much already used the Infinity Gauntlet and wiped out half of life on earth (except humans themselves ) and the oceans are struggling more than most people can imagine. I really don't want to get too deep into it right now but DEFINITELY buy farmed or sustainable fish for the sake of wild populations being able to reproduce in time just to be harvested. Some species of fish can take 20 years just to reach breeding age.

Last edited:

MKF30

Don't kill me guys but I actually don't eat bacon, but I love the smell(I know that makes no sense lol) I have eaten bacon bits on salads before though and it's kind of fatty so trying to cut down on that, not good for cholesterol lol. But smells amazing.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Don't kill me guys but I actually don't eat bacon, but I love the smell(I know that makes no sense lol) I have eaten bacon bits on salads before though and it's kind of fatty so trying to cut down on that, not good for cholesterol lol. But smells amazing.
There is beef bacon and turkey bacon if you are looking for a healthier substitute...

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God

Where can I find Bizzarre foods?
The only stuff left om Travel Channel Is Ghost stuf
(WHICH SUCKS! I USED TO LEAVE TRVL CHANNEL ON AS BACKROUND NOISE DUE TO THE VARIETY!)

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Where can I find Bizzarre foods?
The only stuff left om Travel Channel Is Ghost stuf
(WHICH SUCKS! I USED TO LEAVE TRVL CHANNEL ON AS BACKROUND NOISE DUE TO THE VARIETY!)
My brother bought it on Amazon Prime, so we watch it there. $20 per season. You're exactly right, Travel Channel is way worse than it used to be.