What's new

SNES or Genesis

@ded Thanks again for the articles! Interesting that you found the PC ports better than the consoles. As you may be aware, since they started bringing the current games to PC, they've sadly had lots of problems with them.

@Vslayer This post resulted originally from a discussion I was having with a buddy. I actually do still have my original SNES, and it works, though it's at my parent's place. I do use an emulator on my PC to play sometimes.

@MKF30 I'm actually trying Killer Instinct on the SNES proper with emulation, as I missed out on it back in the day. It's pretty fun and does look good for it's time. I've heard the SNES port was actually preferred in the competitive community over the arcade version! Not sure if that's true though.

ded

Elder God
mk9 had a fanmade patch that fixes the fps and graphically is superior than any other version. never went into mkx/mk11, so i am not competent there .as for the classics mk games - only mk4 steps aside to n64 port.

mk9 had a fanmade patch that fixes the fps and graphically is superior than any other version. never went into mkx/mk11, so i am not competent there .as for the classics mk games - only mk4 steps aside to n64 port.
I'm a PC gamer myself these days, though I picked up Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition late at $5.00 sale price. Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 11 I bought and played on launch, I do not have a current generation console.

The launch for Mortal Kombat X was very, very poor. They tried something new and the game downloaded and installed in chunks, the purpose being to allow you to start playing before downloading was complete. It didn't work, and some people who tried to play before full download had a completely broken game and had to redownload all over.

The game was horribly buggy and unoptimized for even modern hardware, and it ran horribly with AMD cards. nVidia was much better, but still had issues. I had to play in 1600x900 resolution instead of 1080p, but it was mostly stable (I use nVidia). Patches were always much later than console (weeks), DLC characters came later, and one patch erased user data; all the skins and progress they unlocked!!!

When "XL" was announced, it was soft-stated it was not coming to PC. Several months later, WBIE replaced High Voltage Software with QLOC, who ported over the XL content, and completely cleaned the game up and optimized it much better. The game was fantastic, but it took a year and a half post-launch to get there.

Mortal Kombat 11 has been handled by QLOC from the start, and it had a much better launch. Some people still had performance issues, but they were more in the minority this time. People with nVidia cards were reporting more issues than AMD, but the game was still 100% playable to working near perfect for everyone. In late May, they released patch which increased the intro and Fatal Blow framerates to 60 FPS and introduced new anti-cheat software, and this patch caused performance issues for many, many people, especially those with nVidia cards.

That affected me as well, and for the first several minutes of the game, the frame rate was at around 25 FPS and the system's CPU was reamed at 100% usage. Once that died down, things went more or less back to normal.

This issues caused by this patch, Patch 5, have still not been fully resolved, but after about two months they've been able to improve things.

So yeah, sadly, issues and problems, though Mortal Kombat XL is now fantastic, and Mortal Kombat 11 is night and day over the Mortal Kombat X launch. Hopefully they can clean it up better over time.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah I'm always saying MK4 for N64 is by far the best but problem is nobody here knows or cares about the game, but I'd love to see it get more love.

The thing is 32 X is a gen after SNES 16 bit, but I'd still play MK 2 on SNES. It wasn't that buggy to where it was unplayable and the controller was easily better than any Sega console by far. However, SNES proved to have games that looked just as good if not better than the SMD, look at Donkey Kong Country for example. Game looked amazing. And honestly, MK2 SNES vs SMD graphically pretty comparable, sound was better on SNES easily just rechecked my initial stance yeah I remember why I said that lol. It just sounds tinsey/bad on Sega consoles.

@MKF30 I'm actually trying Killer Instinct on the SNES proper with emulation, as I missed out on it back in the day. It's pretty fun and does look good for it's time. I've heard the SNES port was actually preferred in the competitive community over the arcade version! Not sure if that's true though.
Yeah, I mean I hacked my SNES classic with KI and MK lol, love both. But I also have the actual console with the cartridges too. Yeah, some people liked KI on SNES port over the arcade, though I'm not a KI aficianado if memory serves was better than the N64 KIGold which was busted if memory serves.

Yeah, I mean I hacked my SNES classic with KI and MK lol, love both. But I also have the actual console with the cartridges too. Yeah, some people liked KI on SNES port over the arcade, though I'm not a KI aficianado if memory serves was better than the N64 KIGold which was busted if memory serves.
I'm actually getting into the franchise, and plan on picking up Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition when it goes on sale on PC next. I've been reading up on the franchise as a result and learning a bit about it's history, since I missed out on it back in the '90's. From what I understand, a lot of people didn't like the changes in Killer Instinct 2 as a whole overall, and that distaste carried over to the N64 port, Killer Instinct Gold. Apparently it's character models were lesser, but stages were actually graphically better than the arcade.

MKF30

I'm actually getting into the franchise, and plan on picking up Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition when it goes on sale on PC next. I've been reading up on the franchise as a result and learning a bit about it's history, since I missed out on it back in the '90's. From what I understand, a lot of people didn't like the changes in Killer Instinct 2 as a whole overall, and that distaste carried over to the N64 port, Killer Instinct Gold. Apparently it's character models were lesser, but stages were actually graphically better than the arcade.
Oh didn't even know they were making a KI DE for PC, when did they announce that? I know from yesterday Nintendo Direct they confirmed Doom 64 soon for Switch under Bethesda. Yeah, the gameplay though was broken in KIG but graphically looked nice.

Oh didn't even know they were making a KI DE for PC, when did they announce that? I know from yesterday Nintendo Direct they confirmed Doom 64 soon for Switch under Bethesda. Yeah, the gameplay though was broken in KIG but graphically looked nice.
To confirm, Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition is the "komplete" edition of Killer Instinct (2013). The classic Killer Instinct games are only available on PC via emulation as far as I know.

MKF30

To confirm, Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition is the "komplete" edition of Killer Instinct (2013). The classic Killer Instinct games are only available on PC via emulation as far as I know.
ohh yes, ok, for a second there was confused lol like about to say they're redoing the original? Thanks for confirming that.

ded

Elder God
Yeah I'm always saying MK4 for N64 is by far the best but problem is nobody here knows or cares about the game, but I'd love to see it get more love.
all home ports of mk4 were complete garbage compared to the arcade (even mk gold). it's just that n64 did more kind of a justice graphically/gameplay wise (in the EU version).

edit: the pc issues you are referring to (missing effects and fmv issues i assume), were fixed by several official patches, released by Midway and they even added 640x480 res with scanlines. however, the PC version was complete disappointment thanks to Eurocom who did not know how to use the advantage of 3DFX technology.

Last edited:

MKF30

all home ports of mk4 were complete garbage compared to the arcade (even mk gold). it's just that n64 did more kind of a justice graphically/gameplay wise (in the EU version).

edit: the pc issues you are referring to (missing effects and fmv issues i assume), were fixed by several official patches, released by Midway and they even added 640x480 res with scanlines. however, the PC version was complete disappointment thanks to Eurocom who did not know how to use the advantage of 3DFX technology.
Obviously the home ports weren't the arcade but that's not to say some of them weren't playable. I'd gladly play mk 4 on n64 over any other version with the arcade being an exception. I wouldn't say it was garbage though, gold was garbage though I agree there. Mk4 was much better than gold in every way except for the graphical updates and endings looked better but the gameplay was a broken mess compared to mk 4

Reactions: ded

Mgo

Noob
gold was garbage though I agree there. Mk4 was much better than gold in every way except for the graphical updates and endings looked better but the gameplay was a broken mess compared to mk 4
...and think there are people who think MKG is the definitive version of MK4 and MKT the same for MK3 :D

MKF30

...and think there are people who think MKG is the definitive version of MK4 and MKT the same for MK3 :D
Really? Lol that's funny. MKT is fun I'll admit but it's not umk3. MKG is just....blah lol. I'll stick to MK4 :):cool: