What's new

Sizes of All the Stages

EDIT: Added Playpal's data (using SZ's dashes as a unit of measurement and showing asymmetrical stages) and Somberness's Data (Measuring the amount of frames it takes for Kenshi to walk across each stage)

I didn't even know that The stages in this game were different sizes, but when I was practicing smoke combos on the "hell" stage, I realized how easy it was to carry my opponent to the wall. I found that the stage was almost two times as small as a stage like "roof top (day)" I got out a piece of Paper and recorded the size of all stages. (actually I technically measured the distance behind each character at the start of round one, but to get the full size, you can multiply that by two, and add one). The unit of measurement I used was the distance Kunglao Travels when he is in the hit stun animation from a Low hat. Here they are:

Training Stage: 7
Bell Tower: about 8.5
Armory: 7
Wastelands: 7
Evil Monastery: 8
The temple: about 7.5
Subway: 7
Tsung's Throne room: 7
Street: about 8
Tsung's garden (day and night): about 7.5
Courtyard (day and knight): 8
deadpool: about 6.5
Desert: 8
Fleshpit: about 7.5
goro's Lair: 8
grave yard: 7
hell: about 5.5
Kahn's Stadium: about 7.5
Living forest: 7
the pit (day, night, and bottom): 6
rooftop (dawn and dusk): 8
rooftop (day): 9
Kahn's Throne room: about 8.5
soul chamber: 8

SOMBERNESS DATA:

Hell - 807
The Pit(Bottom) - 862
The Pit - 874
The Dead Pool - 932
Challenge Tower - 946
The Living Forest - 976
Shang Tsung's Gardens - 985
The Graveyard - 985
Subway - 992
Wastelands - 992
Shang Tsung's Throne Room - 1003
The Street - 1008
The Temple - 1023
Armory - 1026
Desert - 1063
The Courtyard - 1077
Rooftop(Dawn) - 1083
Kahn's Coliseum - 1084
Rooftop(Dusk) - 1084
The Flesh Pits - 1120
Soul Chamber - 1129
Goro's Lair - 1140
Evil Monastery - 1158
Shao Kahn's Throne Room - 1163
The Bell Tower - 1175
Rooftop(Day) - 1203

PLAYPAL'S DATA:

Rooftop Day: 22 dashes (20 for player 2)

Clock tower: 21 dashes

Evil monastery: 20 dashes (21 for player 2)

Shao Kahn's throne room: 20 dashes

Soul chamber: 20 dashes

Rooftop dawn/dusk: 20 dashes (19 for player 2)

goro's lair: 19 dashes (22 for player 2)

fleshpit 19 dashes (21 for player 2)

Courtyard day/night: 19 dashes

desert: 19 dashes

coliseum: 19 dashes

shang's throne: 18 dashes

temple: 18 dashes

armory: 18 dashes

graveyard: 18 dashes (17 for player 2)

Shang's garden day/night: 18 dashes (17 for player 2)

subway: 17 dashes (18 for player 2)

training room: 17 dashes

deadpool: 17 dashes

forest: 17 dashes

pit bottom: 15 dashes (small extra dash for player 2)

pit night/day: 15 dashes

This makes a huge difference When you have a character based on zoning/spacing obviously you would want the rooftop (day) stage and not the hell stage so you could have ALOT more space to work with.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
After watching Reo's videos on Kabal when he mentioned that Kabal would have different time to travel the stages while iAGB-ing I thought of the same thing about measuring the stages. 5.5 and 9 is a big difference. I'm expecting this to affect tournament play. Good thread.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I didn't know the differences were this much. Stage selection at tournaments just got real.
Oh man. I can see the arguments now.

If this catches fire, they're gonna have to implement a rule for it. Coin flip for 1'st stage pick?
That seems fair. Or in Losers, the player who won his previous match gets 1'st dibs.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I expect JC, Sonya, and Jax players to want to play on Pit all the time. Meanwhile Kabal, Freddy, and Smokes should be trying to play on Rooftop(Day). I'm kinda surprised I don't see it more often.

And I agree with THTB, I like this since it adds more strategy to matchups.

BOOM

Noob
yea this is one of the dumbest parts of this game. they cant do this again. ever.
SF4 has different stage sizes. Like Fei Long players choose the kids at the park map because if you do his chicken wing rekka combo, you have corner advantage already.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Oh man. I can see the arguments now.

If this catches fire, they're gonna have to implement a rule for it. Coin flip for 1'st stage pick?
That seems fair. Or in Losers, the player who won his previous match gets 1'st dibs.
Isn't the tourney standard Courtyard(day) when ppl can't agree on a map?

Other fighting games have stages that have much bigger differences than their size (ring outs, environmental hazards), and they just do random stage select. If the looser really felt like the stage was what lost them the match, they can request a new random stage.

BOOM

Noob
Other fighting games have stages that have much bigger differences than their size (ring outs, environmental hazards), and they just do random stage select. If the looser really felt like the stage was what lost them the match, they can request a new random stage.
If only 2 stages weren't banned.....

keep in mind some of these are rounded, the units I used were the best i could find. My main point is that theyre different sizes

If only 2 stages weren't banned.....
I hear (though it's all been hearsay, nothing official) that the 360 version doesn't suffer from the lag on The Street and Hell, 0n top of not having Kratos's stage to worry about. And if the Street does come up, they can just use the "Disable Foreground Objects" kombat kode, provided it doesn't have any negative side effects like some other kodes apparently do.

If the stage sizes are going to be that big a deal, switching consoles is a potential solution.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I hear (though it's all been hearsay, nothing official) that the 360 version doesn't suffer from the lag on The Street and Hell, 0n top of not having Kratos's stage to worry about. And if the Street does come up, they can just use the "Disable Foreground Objects" kombat kode, provided it doesn't have any negative side effects like some other kodes apparently do.
Which is problematic if you're playing in MLG because Kombat Codes are banned. :p