What's new

SF’s 30th Anniversary Collection: Will NRS follow suit?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2017/12/10/celebrate-30-years-of-street-fighter-with-the-street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection

Earlier today, or yesterday, Capcom announced the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.

The collection includes:
  • Street Fighter
  • Street Fighter II
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
  • Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
  • Street Fighter Alpha
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter III
  • Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
  • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Online playable:
- Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
- Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
- Street Fighter Alpha 3
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Online features:
- Ranked Mode
- Player Matches
- 4 player lobbies
- Leaderboards
- GGPO netcode

This is exactly what we need for the classic Mortal Kombat games! It doesn’t need to be anywhere near as expansive as this SF 30th AC either.

Just have:
- MK1
- MK2
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Both PlayStation and N64 versions)
- MK4

With the same online features as this SF collection. Ranked, players matches, 4 player lobbies and most importantly, the GGPO netcode from Injustice 2.

The Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection on last gen consoles was abysmal and not developed by NRS. The port wasn’t great, the netcode was atrocious, the ranking system was meh, and there weren’t player lobbies, just 1v1’s.

There’s currently no reliable way to play any of the classics online. You either play on a crappy port on last gen consoles with abysmal netcode, or you jump through an exhausting number of tedious hoops to play on MAME.

This would be great to show all of these new players the origins of MK. But it will also give players who still play these games a way to reliably play them. It would be very simple and cheap to do, and it’s something I believe the NRS community desperately needs!

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Should it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? Probably not. Warner just doesn't seem to care at all and it's not like NRS can go out of their way to do it unfortunately. Although WB has since then taken down MKAK, which makes me think of the possibility they might try it again and do it right this time but I wouldn't count on that.
On another note, would the community, as a whole, be interested in it? Perhaps they haven't tried a klassic MK kollection for real yet because maybe they think people wouldn't buy it.
Maybe if TYM made an official petition and passed it around that could get WBs attention

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Should it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? Probably not. Warner just doesn't seem to care at all and it's not like NRS can go out of their way to do it unfortunately. Although WB has since then taken down MKAK, which makes me think of the possibility they might try it again and do it right this time but I wouldn't count on that.
On another note, would the community, as a whole, be interested in it? Perhaps they haven't tried a klassic MK kollection for real yet because maybe they think people wouldn't buy it.
Maybe if TYM made an official petition and passed it around that could get WBs attention
Very true, everyone would love for that to happen, but it won't be surprising if WB won't allow NRS do to it. If NRS were truly an indie company (unlike what some people still think to this day, which actually shocks me TBH) they would be more then happy to do it, but with WB, who did a lot for MK and IJ with their money, can also say to NRS that they can't do it.

But hey, if it took Capcom that long after the anniversary date to finally announces something like that (SF1 cane in August of 1987, so we are over 4 months since then) maybe in like a month or two, we will get a collection like that as well, or maybe once MK11 is announced, they are gonna announce that as well. Capcom kinda did it with UMVC3, when they announced the PS4/XB1/PC port just after they announced MVCI. So maybe it can happen, maybe even sooner then we think.

Aramonde

Noob
MK is my favorite series ever but lets be honest most of the old games were decent when they were new and now they aren't that good. Im know im going to get a ton of hate but its the truth. You guys really want to play MK1 & 4 online?

The only classic game i want is a remaster of MK9 which has great online, is rebalanced and the bugs fixed.

Roy Arkon

MK is my favorite series ever but lets be honest most of the old games were decent when they were new and now they aren't that good. Im know im going to get a ton of hate but its the truth. You guys really want to play MK1 & 4 online?

The only classic game i want is a remaster of MK9 which has great online, is rebalanced and the bugs fixed.
So not only you say the old games of MK1-MK4/G were bad, but you also say that even the one "classic" game of MK9 (and it's not a classic, not in terms of longevity at least), you want that to be remastered with updated balanced and with it's bugs fixed? I'm sorry but that sounds very hypocritical. And yes, MK1-MK4/G were amazing, every MK game had something to offer, and these games have offered a lot from all aspects and they're still do. I can already think about several games that even if they had something to offer back in the day they don't have such right now, and none of those games are MK games. And that is the actual truth.

Last edited:
The fact that NRS didn't bother to port the MK arcade Kollection to current systems is a travesty. It's not like they have to start from scratch. All they need to do is fix the netcode and throw in MK9 and it's a instant buy from me. Trilogy and the older 3d games are just icing on the cake IMO.

Roy Arkon

The fact that NRS didn't bother to port the MK arcade Kollection to current systems is a travesty. It's not like they have to start from scratch. All they need to do is fix the netcode and throw in MK9 and it's a instant buy from me. Trilogy and the older 3d games are just icing on the cake IMO.
It's not them that didn't bother, WB didn't bother let them or any other studio to do it. Also, adding Trilogy and other classics isn't just an "icing on the cake". If they do add them it will be huge.

We'll be lucky just to get the MK arcade Kollection IMO. Have we forgotten what a mess that was when it released on last gen systems? I'll only get hyped if NRS handle the project period. The last time WB outsourced a MK game to another studio (glares at Other Ocean) it was a disaster.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I hope they do but I'm not sure they will, I still have Arkade Kollection and those ports were all over the place. The last re-release before AK that comes to mind is UMK3 port for the DS (which was amazing btw.)

I feel like the company resources they could use to make the updated ports are busy working on the Mobile games, seeing as all 3 mobile games are still being updated. They also currently have to outsource porting to PC for current gen games so they're probably all tied up.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well the majority of people who would buy it are people who played it when they were kids. For instance UMK3 on the 360 that came out in 2006 had around 300,000 total players, only 100 of those or so were competitive players. That’s an incredibly small percentage, like .03% or something.

The main thing is that it wouldn’t cost too much money, wouldn’t take too much time, and could make a quick and easy profit. Like, they COULD just release a collection like this where the only feature is GGPO netcode and that’s it. And that would be enough, maybe not for the casuals though, lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'd like it to happen but who knows, MK4 especially needs some love. It would be sweet if they did this and made it for the Switch too. Imagine the ability to play other people via wifi with them on the go as well as home online, that would be sick. One thing I'll say about Capcom that NRS needs to do is they port most of their SF games to all consoles.

I'd like it to happen but who knows, MK4 especially needs some love. It would be sweet if they did this and made it for the Switch too. Imagine the ability to play other people via wifi with them on the go as well as home online, that would be sick. One thing I'll say about Capcom that NRS needs to do is they port most of their SF games to all consoles.
mkf, the thing is, old capcom games still have playerbase. sf players, the community CARE ABOUT THEIR LEGACY GAMES!!
thats unfortunately not the case in our nrs comm.
LBSH the most of these newer nrs players (since mk9) dont really give a fuck about classic mk.
just some nostalgic OG,s, arcade veterans and pre mk9 3d-mk players maybe. nobody else care about classic mk.

thats the thing imo