What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
I feel 21 is under utilized. I dont know how practical it is offline but with conditioning I've been able to get enough respect go get 212 on block. 21 can also jail from d3 on hit but the timing is strict of course.

I prefer searing rage and I think this really diversifies his pressure up close. Still trying to implement a lot of other ways to open people up.
Opening people up with Reborn is just so much easier for me. Once you have shown your opponent 2 or 3 different routes you can go with teleport, you can really slow the game down and get in things like B14xx tele cancel into throw or D3 check. In best of 3 settings, it makes it even easier to diversify and do cheeky stuff to sneak by. Its incredibly frustrating to be on the receiving end of eating a canceled TP into throw, then next time you get whiff punished etc.

When doing best of 5, I think its easier to get a read on the opponent scorpion, for obvious reasons. Not to mention if the person you are playing against is decently good at using the TP OS on B2 and can throw that out with high success.

Reasonable situation - You hit an opponent with a D4, the range you leave them at is perfect for B2 OS to catch movement or hitting buttons. Do that one time and most people get afraid to move after a D4 hit. Now you get to dash into F3 stagger pressure or whatever else.

Nowadays opening up people in KL is easier with Cassie to me lol.
Massive disrespect is easier to punish with 9F MID than walk back punish against random disrespectful buttons.

Oh I missed the thread sorry. :p
Yesterday I played Scorpion after days against a Cetrion (I do not know the match up at all) and still only lost because I already got out from good shape of Scorpion damn. I played Reborn and just freezed - but probably due to the really unknow matchup. And it was still close because he was bad.

I need to play more Scorpion or I lose my "skill". :D

I still prefer and more comfortable with Searing Rage (800 vs. 50 matches no surprise) but I try to play more Reborn to be able to compare it.
But I do not really play the teleport mixup which was broken down pretty well by @azeth123 .
And no B2/F3 OS, either. Downplay ftw. :)

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Opening people up with Reborn is just so much easier for me. Once you have shown your opponent 2 or 3 different routes you can go with teleport, you can really slow the game down and get in things like B14xx tele cancel into throw or D3 check. In best of 3 settings, it makes it even easier to diversify and do cheeky stuff to sneak by. Its incredibly frustrating to be on the receiving end of eating a canceled TP into throw, then next time you get whiff punished etc.

When doing best of 5, I think its easier to get a read on the opponent scorpion, for obvious reasons. Not to mention if the person you are playing against is decently good at using the TP OS on B2 and can throw that out with high success.

Reasonable situation - You hit an opponent with a D4, the range you leave them at is perfect for B2 OS to catch movement or hitting buttons. Do that one time and most people get afraid to move after a D4 hit. Now you get to dash into F3 stagger pressure or whatever else.
I just think sr fits my playstyle more but I do understand the strengths of reborn. I think b2 is really strong in reborn. Honestly though I dont have the os timing down, I normally hit confirm it but I cant do it online.

I usually tend to use reborn against characters like geras, though. I hate having to commit to teleport against fast moves like low sand.

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
I just think sr fits my playstyle more but I do understand the strengths of reborn. I think b2 is really strong in reborn. Honestly though I dont have the os timing down, I normally hit confirm it but I cant do it online.

I usually tend to use reborn against characters like geras, though. I hate having to commit to teleport against fast moves like low sand.
I like to think I am good at the B2 OS, but I need so much more practice before I will be able to spit it out and not think about the OS. It took me a while to even get the OS consistent in just training mode, much less with how online can be. Luckily the only situation I have pinpointed as a perfect time to throw it out is currently after a hit D4 because it pushes them out of the range of B1 unless you move forward some.

I feel 21 is under utilized. I dont know how practical it is offline but with conditioning I've been able to get enough respect go get 212 on block. 21 can also jail from d3 on hit but the timing is strict of course.

I prefer searing rage and I think this really diversifies his pressure up close. Still trying to implement a lot of other ways to open people up.
As I switched from SR to Reborn I noticed that it's much easier to deal with Reborn's f3 pressure. Basically against Reborn you can just mash the fuck out of d1 or s1 for a full combo conversion when you get hit by f3. You basically eat the KB once, break away and after that all that can ever happen is that you eat the 4 for little damage and never have to deal with throw mixups.

Against SR you have to stand block a lot more often or you eat a full combo from f32 and you can do shit like f3 into d3 for some jailing action. Also it's a lot scarier eating throws vs. SR because of the BS damage buff on forward throw.

Yeah I still think Reborn is better and prefer it now, because it lends itself more to a really annoying low risk hit and run guerilla style of play that gives you more time to read your opponent, than the flashy , risky,high damage and stagger heavy style SR provides.

As I switched from SR to Reborn I noticed that it's much easier to deal with Reborn's f3 pressure. Basically against Reborn you can just mash the fuck out of d1 or s1 for a full combo conversion when you get hit by f3. You basically eat the KB once, break away and after that all that can ever happen is that you eat the 4 for little damage and never have to deal with throw mixups.

Against SR you have to stand block a lot more often or you eat a full combo from f32 and you can do shit like f3 into d3 for some jailing action. Also it's a lot scarier eating throws vs. SR because of the BS damage buff on forward throw.

Yeah I still think Reborn is better and prefer it now, because it lends itself more to a really annoying low risk hit and run guerilla style of play that gives you more time to read your opponent, than the flashy , risky,high damage and stagger heavy style SR provides.
you gotta know your opponent is mashing after f3 to actually go for f32. I've officially committed myself to playing strictly searing rage because of how boring reborn is. i get that it's super good because of tele cancel but it's just mad boring. then people want to nerf tele so it'll probably turn a boring variation into an even more boring variation since that's all it has

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji

What stops them from taking the +15 advantage from the first hit of F3 and just continuing pressure?

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
Talking about stagger pressure off a blocked f3.
I see what you’re talking about. The f3 stagger literally won’t work if you Mash when you block a f3, but I am pretty sure you could space the f3, to whiff punish a d1 check or would it be time to f3xxteleport and get cheeky.

I see what you’re talking about. The f3 stagger literally won’t work if you Mash when you block a f3, but I am pretty sure you could space the f3, to whiff punish a d1 check or would it be time to f3xxteleport and get cheeky.
Yeah sure this shit has counterplay. Just saying SR in your face is scarier than Reborn imo.

You can use F3xxtele to punish mashers after F34 KB like you did against me.
It is almost the same risk reward factor then F32 with Searing Rage...

Today I played almost only Scorpion again but I did not really enjoy it. But probably after more than a week I just forgot playing it properly.
I realized that I can play the same playstyle with Cassie better and with more fun (good footsie, good up close stagger, projectile vs. teleport).

I will not give up though as there are annoying characters where I do not want to use other than Scorpion (e.g Jade, Erron Black). Maybe I just need to select my match ups and play with both char parallel.

I noticed that online people are really prepared against Scorpion lol. That's good.

KL has been so much fun for me. I'm almost confident I can reach demi-god by grinding a lot of games. Also love that I have to play the Scorpion mirror so much, since I know so much about it.
Gotta seriously put some work in on the weekends because some matchups like Baraka and Geras are a fucking headache for me.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Damn that’s a good point. Thanks for this

I do not really like playing Scorpion now as everybody is just raged about him. I see during the match... they T-bag after win, etc. lol.
Of course everybody is a Scorpion master too as he is pretty common. That might be good at least lol as it is more fun against prepared opponent. That was missing 1 month ago.

I just do not know the match ups that good which is said but need more play. :)

I have just 1285 points (warrior). Loss is 0 now. So winning 1 out of 10 can make me master lol.

Does higher rank results in minus points on loss?

I just got my first Quitality with Scorpion (yesterday Cassie).

I played a bit scrubby but the opponent was bad enough.
I played several KL matches and back to business. Cassie made me lazy with Scorpion.
I got slow as did not play for a long time but after several matches it is back again.

Too much hate against Scorpion I will try to feed it.
I am at champion rank and it is not that difficult. There are good players as well so it is interesting.

Easy to climb with that -5 +55 point system yet even if I lose. I will hit master soon but does not really matters if I do not meet T-bagger wifi warrior. :)

Liu Kang is definitely not a favorable MU for Scorpion.

Sco cant get anything going without getting close to LK, and that’s where he has advantage.

LK can literally stand outside of jump distance and fish. You cant zone him because he can punish Spear on block with Fly Kick (has KB). Standing there also eliminates TP gimmicks.

The MU basically comes down to how well you can read/react to LK’s staggers and tick throws.

I’d say slight advantage vs RB, & advantage vs SR.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Touch of Decay tower is up on ps4...if youre looking for scorpion tower key. Unlock brutal difficulty and free scorpion stuff...

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Get a high score on easiest tower and play on brutal...with modifiers...Had to use orb of dragon king and stun mods, but yes! battle singed tower key. Omfg light saber katana.

Last edited:
Does anyone else miss scorpion having solid white eyes instead of them merging a color with his pupils? They pretty much did the same thing to ermac in mkx when he didn't have solid green eyes. Noob has solid white eyes

Liu Kang is definitely not a favorable MU for Scorpion.

Sco cant get anything going without getting close to LK, and that’s where he has advantage.

LK can literally stand outside of jump distance and fish. You cant zone him because he can punish Spear on block with Fly Kick (has KB). Standing there also eliminates TP gimmicks.

The MU basically comes down to how well you can read/react to LK’s staggers and tick throws.

I’d say slight advantage vs RB, & advantage vs SR.
Yeah I'm definitely not reacting to liu kang stagger pressure. I just try to get out a d1 or s1 and hope for the best. It's a little rough since I've decided to never play reborn again. With reborn i could most likely contest needing to trade rushdown with him but people say scorpion has everything but if he goes against a good pressure character like jax, liu, jacqui without reborn then it's pretty much over

Yeah I'm definitely not reacting to liu kang stagger pressure. I just try to get out a d1 or s1 and hope for the best. It's a little rough since I've decided to never play reborn again. With reborn i could most likely contest needing to trade rushdown with him but people say scorpion has everything but if he goes against a good pressure character like jax, liu, jacqui without reborn then it's pretty much over
Using SR you almost feel like MK9 Scorpion against him lol. Meaning you’re more scared of your mix than he is because his reward is just as good if he’s right.

He punishes Death Spin from all ranges too. Scorp cant really use his tools well against him. You find yourself reliant on good fundamentals and reads really.

Using SR you almost feel like MK9 Scorpion against him lol. Meaning you’re more scared of your mix than he is because his reward is just as good if he’s right.

He punishes Death Spin from all ranges too. Scorp cant really use his tools well against him. You find yourself reliant on good fundamentals and reads really.
That's really how it is against liu. It's not even smart footsies from his f4 you honestly just throw it out because it's 9f and let it go to work. I definitely don't death spear him on block unless it's for chip kills. Which i tried one time at Max range and he punished me with fatal blow. I can get spears out but only because I've fought him so much that I know the spacing