What's new

Rambo General Discussion

Mormel

Noob
For staggers, Rambo's best options are Standing2, Back2, and Back224.

Standing2

• Standing2 is -2 on block, so it will trade with reversal 9-frame attacks. Standing2 is also the only high that Rambo can jail from Down1, so it has great stagger potential with the highest U2 combo damage potential among his other options. Your opponent still should want to reversal with Down1's, which you can punish with Block Attack U2.
  • U2 combos from Standing2 are U2, Back221, DownBack4 for 204.44 damage.
  • With FUBAR slotted use U2, Back221, DownBackForward1 for 219.01 damage. With Commando slotted use U2, Back3, 1+3 for 181.32 damage with a restand.
Back2
  • Back2 is -1 on block and will kounter reversal 9-frame attacks. Your opponent, if they want to reversal attack, will use Down1 which you can punish with Block Attack U2.
  • U2 combos from Back2 are U2, Forward3, DownBack4 for 166.03 damage.
  • With FUBAR slotted use U2, Forward3, DownBackForward1 for 182.18 damage.
Back224
  • Back224 is -1 on block and will kounter reversal 9-frame attacks. The same as Back2, however your opponent will be launched by U2 farther than any other stagger listed here so your damage potential is more limited.
  • Your only combo is U2, Back3, DownBack4 for 149.02 damage.
All the mentioned combos here can also be ended with Fatal Blow instead of its ender. Using U3 will end your offense as you will roll away to safety to return to neutral and zone, consider using U2 either to do more damage or better escape your opponent's pressure from the corner as U3 is less effective when Rambo is in the corner

Last edited:
Note: Rambo is terrible mid range and I was dealign with nothing but jades, subzeros and sheevas in those last fights. I really need to find the best loadout for those specific matches when close range is not an option.

I find that shoulder roll is a must when fighting characters that easily outrange me. Joker especially gets me stressed, it feels impossible to get in on him without the threat of shoulder roll.

Trevor

Noob
I find that shoulder roll is a must when fighting characters that easily outrange me. Joker especially gets me stressed, it feels impossible to get in on him without the threat of shoulder roll.
I have been considering shoulder rol with snare trap, but shoulder roll has one issue. Once you do the KB, it's pretty useless as it is terribly unsafe without burning meter. You can't really mix anyone up with this move unless you burn for the overhead or the cancel. You are absolutely right about it being very useful for zoners though and the damage from the KB into his snare trap combos is huge.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
What's the trick to getting two or three arrows on command? I have the most success just doing the input over and over again but it's not listed in the move list from what I can tell

What's the trick to getting two or three arrows on command? I have the most success just doing the input over and over again but it's not listed in the move list from what I can tell
I'm still trying to figure it out too, but I think the key is you basically have to wait until he shoots the first arrow and quickly tap afterwards.

DeftMonk

Noob
Just saw this. The frame where the bow is fully drawn you hit the button and repeat. Its pretty simple once you know when to do it.

Marinjuana

Been riding with Claymore, Artillery and Mace Trap for an honorable zoning variation and Claymore is actually pretty cheap against some characters/variations. Some characters just don't have an easy answer for it on their base kit. Mace trap is also interesting as a zoning tool, the knockdown and KB helps you win zoning wars and it catches jumping unlike the normal trap, but you lose easy combo conversions and some oki. But I've been looking for cheap stuff for Claymore as I just want to find a home with a setup character. Some of this may have been mentioned before. But here's some Claymore facts:

1. Claymore and Amp Claymore behave slightly differently, in that Amp Claymore becomes active a bit after Rambo moves. Point being that you can consistently wave dash through the Amp Claymore or wave dash~jump over. With normal claymore, you can only jump and will have more limited movement.

2. If the opponent lands on the Claymore in such a way that they don't trigger it but will wakeup on top of it, the Claymore will hit unblockable meaty regardless of delay. U3 will invincibility through but a forward or backwards roll may be hit depending on spacing. You could set this up in practice by doing F121+3 with the right spacing, but it may be worth knowing about for scramble situations in real match.

3. Shoulder roll seems to have synergy with Claymore. If you drop a normal claymore and then immediately do shoulder roll with correct timing, it will go over the claymore just fine. This has a lot of potential. With the right spacing for a cross up, normal shoulder roll will hit the opponent into the claymore for an easy juggle, and potentially will "combo" even if it doesn't combo due to the unblockable. Doing Amplified Shoulder roll in the same situation will combo on hit or on block due to the pushback, with juggle potential as well. Since you can cancel Shoulder Roll, I could see this being a viable thing to mix up after Claymore drops or if you found a master setup.

4. If you can somehow get your opponent sandwiched in-between you and Claymore, the sky is the limit. You just need to knock them back into it for the unblockable, and it can create juggle opportunities. If you have slide you can just do the far slide and the opponent will slide with you until they go boom.

5. Be wary of unique situations where the Claymore puts you in a bad spot or hurts you. It's a strong tool but it can be used against you.

Marinjuana

Just saw this. The frame where the bow is fully drawn you hit the button and repeat. Its pretty simple once you know when to do it.
Thanks fam this was the trick that put me over the edge and now I feel like it's just execution

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
So I got two questions.

1. Do you guys think the F12 buffs were significant? I think its a good string to dash cancel in the midrange and helps with his biggest problem.

2. Who are some players to watch? Feels like everyone dropped him and Dylan Lloyd is about the last player advocating him. I can't find hardly any Roethor footage either

I've been struggling to make him work but he's a lot of fun

Marinjuana

So I got two questions.

1. Do you guys think the F12 buffs were significant? I think its a good string to dash cancel in the midrange and helps with his biggest problem.

2. Who are some players to watch? Feels like everyone dropped him and Dylan Lloyd is about the last player advocating him. I can't find hardly any Roethor footage either

I've been struggling to make him work but he's a lot of fun
I haven't played much but I liked the f12 buff and the better frames on b244. Just nice to not be afraid of a combo punish and I'll probably stagger f12 with a yolo f122 here and there, he doesn't have great special cancel options on block so I think it's a meaningful buff.

There's this European Rambo player that I've been meaning to find the name of, he played him in small tourney finals against a Cetrion and did well. Think he got counter picked by airdash Kabal and switched to Raiden with teleport/rod(didn't work) which narrows it down.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I think Rambo is hard to use bc like NW his combo extender is 2 slots, there's never any reason to block low, and you gotta open the opp up more.

He's fun tho. Mids for days can punish mashy scrubs lol.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
imo Rambo deserves to comeback , NRS did him look bad , but at same time he works with some chars , m60 with better chip damage and faster and special cancel , claymore and his shoulder roll r the best.