What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Nightwolf sadly just doesn't get much zazz from the custom variations without specific balance changes :(

launcher + something thats not the shitty wolf buff is basically the go to
Yeah, launcher plus lightning arrow is all I can really get going on. Nightwolf definitely isn't going to change much.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Spirit tracks just isn't worth losing shoulder, shoulder is one of the best fuck you punishes in the game cause even the stuff thats safe against 99% of the cast still has to fear shoulder.

My main issue with his command grab is that it always switches sides so I often find myself having to choose whether I want the favorable position or damage. I have been having a good amount of success with tomahawk launcher and lightning arrow. Since the only thing you really spend meter on in this variation is his launcher, I almost always have two bars to use in his combos which I definitely think is worth it for the corner carry and damage he gets. Hopefully they rework some of his useless custom moves to spice up his gameplay a bit.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I'm not sure we should sleep on Nightwolf here. He'll finally have competitive access to a few moves that could potentially inch him up the tier list.

Hana's Wrath seems low-key amazing. I feel like people will be talking about this move, I'm calling it now. Has anyone else played with it yet? It's a debuff move, but NW throws it as a projectile. Debuffs the opponent on hit or normal block (flawless block avoids the debuff), and lasts for a decent amount of time. While debuffed, the opponent can't spend any meter on special moves--period.

It sounds like a lesser version of Terminator's Incapacitator grenade, but it's way better. The bird projectile is a lot slower to get out, but it actually causes hit reaction so the oppo can't just barrel through it. It hits mid so it can't be ducked and it's big so it isn't easy to jump over. Very safe on block. Doesn't jail so you can't throw it out like crazy in every block string, but it definitely has safe setups. And it doesn't replace any essential moves (like Term's shotgun) or count against a quota (like Term's grenades); you can pair it with any other moves you want (except Spirit of Hana--also very good imo).

Could have a big effect in certain MUs:
- Great to use against toons who use a lot of amplified multi projectiles to zone you (like Liu, Kitana, Sonya). While debuffed, they can only throw one at a time, so you can use reflect on reaction with no worry about getting hit.​
- Major gamechanger against toons who amplify specials to stay safe (Noob's shadow slide) or to perform a mix-up (Jacqui's air shrapnel blast). How much easier are those MUs to handle when you can make their moves unsafe to use?​
- Moves that can be canceled by spending meter cannot be canceled while debuffed. That takes a whole bunch of tricky mix-ups off the table, like Scorpion's teleport, Sindel's scream, Kabal's nomad dash, Jade's pole vault.​
- Alternate versions of special moves that cost meter are disabled; e.g., Jacqui can't use close and far bionic bounce, Geras can't explode sand clones, Jade can't cancel her run into nitro kick. Poor Kung Lao just can't use orbiting hat, period--nothing comes out at all.​

I'm surprised no one else seems to be talking about this move...? I'm seriously hoping it flies under NRS's radar and they let it through without changing it (knock on wood).

Ancestral light is surprisingly useful so far, I thought it would be trash*. It really shuts down all aerial movement which was especially useful against the kabal and sindel trying to fly across the screen at me. It does fairly hefty damage and the meter burn on block is hitting more than I thought it would. Im wondering how much I need lightning arrow since this hits mid anyways, but arrow is faster and can be used to stall or cancel.

edit: also the brutal is a worthy trade for the grappler ones

Last edited:

MuMuGuy

Noob
What use is Lunar Orbit? I can’t find any reason to ever use that move. I can’t even find a way to convert with it if I hit it as an anti-air.

What use is Lunar Orbit? I can’t find any reason to ever use that move. I can’t even find a way to convert with it if I hit it as an anti-air.
Makes me think of Kitana's custom move that turns her fan toss into a close/medium/far move. Sure its a mid instead of a high but I can't see how its worth using over a projectile that covers horizontal distance.

MuMuGuy

Noob
Makes me think of Kitana's custom move that turns her fan toss into a close/medium/far move. Sure its a mid instead of a high but I can't see how its worth using over a projectile that covers horizontal distance.
NW’s tomahawk takes forever to come back down. NW basically didn’t get much to use with Customs.

I also tried Hana’s Wrath, but that move is complete garbage without the command grab, because Wrath is so slow that it’s virtually impossible to hit without landing command grab first.

Last edited:

Malec

Noob
I wish rising tomahawk was only 1 slot. I would love to combine it with command grab and lightning arrow. Nightwolf dosent feel complete to me without the lightning arrow.
I dont understand why some Characters have to spend 2 slots to be able to combo at all while most of the cast have combos in their base moveset.

I feel like command grab should be base set more than the launcher. This is because so many other special moves depend on it and I'll list below.

Moonfall: Recall axe into 111xShoulder doesn't connect but 111xxxCommand Grab does.
Spirit of Kiba/Komo/Hana: EX Command grab for the massive plus frames into these is by far the best way to use them.
Hana's Wrath: As mentioned by @MuMuGuy .

That's 5 abilities that I personally feel compliment Command Grab too well for it not to be base. Not to mention he has no mix so it gives him needed offense.

Malec

Noob
I feel like command grab should be base set more than the launcher. This is because so many other special moves depend on it and I'll list below.

Moonfall: Recall axe into 111xShoulder doesn't connect but 111xxxCommand Grab does.
Spirit of Kiba/Komo/Hana: EX Command grab for the massive plus frames into these is by far the best way to use them.
Hana's Wrath: As mentioned by @MuMuGuy .

That's 5 abilities that I personally feel compliment Command Grab too well for it not to be base. Not to mention he has no mix so it gives him needed offense.
None of those will be base, but imo rising tomahawk should only be one point

Malec

Noob
Is there a way to force my KI NW to do rising tomahawk combos? I have 30 points in combos and all he dose is starter into lightning arrow, never done a rising tomahawk once.
If I dont use lightning arrow, he just dose regular spirit arrow.

Last edited:

Malec

Noob
So what are you guys using / having success with?
For me Rising Tomahawk is a must, I am not taken that one out.
For matchups where my opponent isnt a strong zoner and Lightning Arrows isnt needed, I use command grab for tick throws.

MuMuGuy

Noob
Is there a way to force my KI NW to do rising tomahawk combos? I have 30 points in combos and all he dose is starter into lightning arrow, never done a rising tomahawk once.
If I dont use lightning arrow, he just dose regular spirit arrow.
The AI for many characters should be renamed Artificial Idiocy.

Several characters just did pokes or dropped combos all the time when I was letting the AI do character towers. My AI Kollector loves doing b1 after AMP Relic Lure, even though that doesn’t work.

MuMuGuy

Noob
So what are you guys using / having success with?
I was attempting to use command grab, Hana’s Wrath, and Moonfall. That build is great when it works, but is way too Offensive Meter reliant for AMP grab to set up Moonfall.

NW almost seems like a joke character without Rising Tomahawk, as his combos are laughable without it. I might try to play around with Ancestral Light and see what I can come up with. It’s really damn annoying that NW has 2 slots accounted for by default.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
My variations are :
  • rising tomahawk + grappling stalker (the strings extends). That's my combo/damage variation
  • ancestral light + lightning arrow. My zoning/spacing variation.
Maybe not the more effective, but really like it.

Malec

Noob
I was attempting to use command grab, Hana’s Wrath, and Moonfall. That build is great when it works, but is way too Offensive Meter reliant for AMP grab to set up Moonfall.
How about rising tomahawk and hanas wrath? I try this one next.