What's new

Kotal right now

dc1902

Noob
I recently started maining him and he seems a good fit for me. He just needs a few buff to compete in my opinion. His command grab needs slightly increased range and he needs a mid that is at least 14 frames. I don't know why his f1 is a high and not a mid. When I play him the main problem I have is not having a fast mid when I have advantage. I usually eat d1s all day.

His throw is a mid, how fast is it again?

I think Im a lot closer to a totemic vs Ascension list now. Pretty sure totemic is good vs 8ish characters but I'll have a list in a second. Got some free time at work lol

Hes bottom 2 imo. You only win with this character by outplaying and being better than your opponent. Nearly everything he has is punishable and/or super slow. I have revisited him a few times and i just never have fun because it feels like an uphill battle.

Its a shame because he was my favorite new character in mkx. Hes a total bitch in mk11 story mode so he lost cool points for me there too

With how little faith y'all have in kotal, I feel terrible for anyone I can beat at all with him.
Kotal is alot better then u guys act stop downplaying him so hard.
Is it not fair to say that if you ranked all the characters in MK11 by strength, he would be bottom 2-5? I think so, and stating so isn't "downplaying". Luckily the gap between best and worst is relatively narrow in this game, so nobody ever said you couldn't win with him. You might just have to work a little harder.

He's a few changes away from being perfectly fine, and I definitely think he's one of those characters that could stand to gain a lot from having kustom variations available everywhere.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Is it not fair to say that if you ranked all the characters in MK11 by strength, he would be bottom 2-5? I think so, and stating so isn't "downplaying". Luckily the gap between best and worst is relatively narrow in this game, so nobody ever said you couldn't win with him. You might just have to work a little harder.

He's a few changes away from being perfectly fine, and I definitely think he's one of those characters that could stand to gain a lot from having kustom variations available everywhere.
True but some of the posts on here make out that hes unplayable.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
No he means he wants to work as hard as the opponent to get the same result. Why dose Sonya need only 2 50/50s and spam some rings to get the job done, while Kotal needs to work his fucking ass of and isn't even able to jump those rings cause of his hitbox
If u want 50/50 then pick other character. If u have trouble against zoners take his totemic variation.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Kotal is alot better then u guys act stop downplaying him so hard.
Saying Kotal can do anything is up-playing him and he basically can't do anything

Kotal is as far as I am concerned the legitimate worst character in the game. Even if you don't agree, you'd have to say he's bottom 3 unless you are delusional.

Can't downplay an effectively rotten character.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Kotal right now = crap

He is in the same D'vorah situation: waiting for a decent balance patch, in order to receive some well deserved buffers from NRS, hehe :D

Malec

Noob
Kotal right now = crap

He is in the same D'vorah situation: waiting for a decent balance patch, in order to receive some well deserved buffers from NRS, hehe :D
D'Vorah has at least a gameplan/design you can identify. Her frames just suck ass. I can't see anything Kotal is supposed to do or is designed for. Everything sends the opponent flying across the stage, why? Why dose kotal has to work his way up to the opponent after everything. He has no Oki. His throw game is garbage, no range, recovery on whiff is horrible, side switch and throws the opponent across the stage again.
Imo Kotal is the worst character in the game easily. If you win with kotal, it's only cause your opponent is far worse than you are or can't react to the unblockabel setups

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Saying Kotal can do anything is up-playing him and he basically can't do anything

Kotal is as far as I am concerned the legitimate worst character in the game. Even if you don't agree, you'd have to say he's bottom 3 unless you are delusional.

Can't downplay an effectively rotten character.
Unless you can mention 7-3s, that's not true.

So many people just hate how the char is and just give up.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Unless you can mention 7-3s, that's not true.

So many people just hate how the char is and just give up.
So you are saying you don't consider him bottom 3?

I play Kollector as well, and I can tell you for a fact Kollector shits all over Kotal in terms of usefulness. Kollector is bad, and compared to Kotal he might as well be top tier.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
He is probably one of the only characters that honestly has nothing really going for him?! Even D’Vorrah (she is debated to be one of the bottom characters too) has some interesting setups despite all her problems. Kotal basically has f34, f2, f4 and d4. That’s it, those buttons are pretty ok. Everything else is pretty lackluster or just plain bad. Okayish dmg (if u do not want to put your opponent in the corner that is because u will need to use the grab), bad zoning, unsafe setups, big hurtbox, wonky hitboxes, slow frames, unsafe strings. There is simply no reason to pick him up at the moment, unless you just want to! That’s literally the only reason.

Edit, I forgot to mention this: I feel like kotal has a lot of tools that should be good but aren’t. They are simply not reliable for the most part and do not work in situations where you would want/need them to work. That’s why u need to rely on the things listed above, which isn’t a whole lot tbh.

Last edited:

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
I recently started maining him and he seems a good fit for me. He just needs a few buff to compete in my opinion. His command grab needs slightly increased range and he needs a mid that is at least 14 frames. I don't know why his f1 is a high and not a mid. When I play him the main problem I have is not having a fast mid when I have advantage. I usually eat d1s all day.
Yes and his own d1 does not reach further than his damn nose. WTH

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So you are saying you don't consider him bottom 3?

I play Kollector as well, and I can tell you for a fact Kollector shits all over Kotal in terms of usefulness. Kollector is bad, and compared to Kotal he might as well be top tier.
Of course I consider him bottom 3, but unless I see some hard 7-3s, he's not useless. Limited, yes. Unplayable no.

Just cause the majority of matchups are 4-6 does not a character unplayable make.