What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

So now that we are deep into customs, what do the Kotal players here think is the most effective load out in general?

I started learning him and have been using mostly maul + ex disc + cmd grab. Dmg totem + grab + disc has been fun as well but just not sure how viable the totem is against strong players.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I started learning him and have been using mostly maul + ex disc + cmd grab.
I also use that combination, which appears to be the best one.

The power of a mid command grab and the ability to reset neutral after f+2,4 with EX disc are too good to pass by.

Maul is a strong tool too because of its anti-zoning capabilities. You can also use the move to make certain strings safe on block against all characters except the rare ones with a 6 frame d+1 like Geras and Sub Zero.

By not equipping the launcher, you retain the base d,f+2, which is an underrated special move with a huge hitbox and relative safety when spaced properly. d,f+2 is also an anti-armor move that does massive damage.

Life has been good for Kotal Kahn since EX disc's flawless block gap was removed. He went from a low tier character to top 10. NRS did a great job buffing him without making him overpowered.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Dmg totem + grab + disc has been fun as well but just not sure how viable the totem is against strong players.
Damage totem is super viable. Other totems are probably not worth your time though. You can get a free safe damage totem off S4 on block which can be jailed into from a D3. It also allows you to get monstrous damage with the command grab.