What's new

Joker Reveal Teaser Trailer - The Clown Prince of Crime comes to MK11 January 28

DeftMonk

Noob
Not to rain too hard on the parade, but no one cared about this character in the first two games he appeared in, so I’m not sure what NRS thinks will be different this time around. Well, that and the fact that casuals stop playing NRS games a month after release, and they’re the ones that are obsessed with guest characters.

As cool as the Joker is, said coolness just doesn’t translate into a fighting game because, well... he’s not a fighter and chattering teeth aren’t the pinnacle of compelling gameplay.
Mods pls add thumbs down button. Chattering teeth are the business... if he has no teeth I’m out.

Zviko

Noob
Not to rain too hard on the parade, but no one cared about this character in the first two games he appeared in, so I’m not sure what NRS thinks will be different this time around. Well, that and the fact that casuals stop playing NRS games a month after release, and they’re the ones that are obsessed with guest characters.

As cool as the Joker is, said coolness just doesn’t translate into a fighting game because, well... he’s not a fighter and chattering teeth aren’t the pinnacle of compelling gameplay.
I think the fact that this is MK is what makes it different this time. People want to see how creative Joker can get in killing people. Including me and I'm not a fan of guests at all. But I guess I'll make an exception this time because not only he is my favorite fictional character outside of MK, he was also my main in Injustice games. So your comment about chattering teeth is just your opinion. It was very fun for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
wow, fuck yeah ! Joker already looking amazing awesome ! haha, he will bring dark sarcasm and violence into MK11 to the next level, hehe ..... love this character and I'm very happy NRS decides to bring him as guest to MK franchise .... cannot wait for the gameplay trailer ! :joker:

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store

For as much hate as he got regarding his emo look in Injustice 2, I thought he was actually pretty damn cool. This MK11 iteration looks perfect though. Especially the way he stands with his cane during the intro... spot on. Love it.

Speak for yourself bud. Joker is my main in the injustice series and he has always been fun to play no matter if he good or not. Joker will definitely be my secondary after sub. I'm predicting he will be one of the most played characters.

kantboy-2

Ripper
This is the character I've wanted as a guest since MKX.

I loved his look in IJ, hated his look in IJ2.

If he has MK vs DC moves on his arsenal then he'll be my second character.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Actually casuals are the ones that are still playing NRS games long after the new game comes out.

Who do you think is mainly playing MKX right now? Injustice 2? It's not the serious players -- it's casuals. They still play the game because they like it and don't care.

o29

Noob
Who do you think is mainly playing MKX right now? Injustice 2? It's not the serious players -- it's casuals. They still play the game because they like it and don't care.
I think you two are referring to two slightly different types of casuals.

Your average casual player who drops MK a few months after release to play the new CoD or a newer fighting game has a short attention span and comprises the majority of the player base drop seen 2-3 months after release.

There are of course other casual players who will continue playing MK11 even after MK12 is out, and the proportion of these players compared to those who are competitive will of course increase when the new MK comes out and competitive players flock to it.

But I think the majority of your casuals fall into the first category rather than the latter, so while some will still persist after competitive gamers have already moved on, the majority of them will have left long ago.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I think you two are referring to two slightly different types of casuals.

Your average casual player who drops MK a few months after release to play the new CoD or a newer fighting game has a short attention span and comprises the majority of the player base drop seen 2-3 months after release.

There are of course other casual players who will continue playing MK11 even after MK12 is out, and the proportion of these players compared to those who are competitive will of course increase when the new MK comes out and competitive players flock to it.

But I think the majority of your casuals fall into the first category rather than the latter, so while some will still persist after competitive gamers have already moved on, the majority of them will have left long ago.
Sure, obviously not everybody will play any game long after release. That's just life.

But my point was, in almost every game, the majority of the people who DO keep playing the game long after release are casuals.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I'm hoping that the cane means he won't be a direct copy-paste from Injustice 2, like how Sub-Zero/Raiden in Injustice 2 were pretty much copy-pastes from MKX. Yes, they had new properties on their attacks and SOME new moves to help them fit better into the new game, but they were mostly just a modified MKX versions of the characters.

Hoping he gets a new stance, new moves, and that the cane plays a big part of his kit similar to Bartitsu Bo' Rai Cho -- but with more tricks and gimmicks. What if he has a blade that can come out of the bottom of the cane? The head of the cane looks like a hammer, so maybe he can swing it Shao Kahn style? It's probably one of his gear options too, so I hope he has canes inspired by The Penguin and Riddler.

o29

Noob
Sure, obviously not everybody will play any game long after release. That's just life.

But my point was, in almost every game, the majority of the people who DO keep playing the game long after release are casuals.
I don't disagree that the proportions will shift, but I think the point was that the majority of players who are interested in guest characters are casuals, and of those casual players, their biggest drop off occurs early in the game's life cycle.

This of course does not preclude some from sticking around, enough to shift the proportions to where they are in the majority once the game becomes obsolete, but bear in mind that this was also the case at release when there were more casuals than competitive players.

I think we agree and are just arguing two different things.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I don't disagree that the proportions will shift, but I think the point was that the majority of players who are interested in guest characters are casuals, and of those casual players, their biggest drop off occurs early in the game's life cycle.

This of course does not preclude some from sticking around, enough to shift the proportions to where they are in the majority once the game becomes obsolete, but bear in mind that this was also the case at release when there were more casuals than competitive players.

I think we agree and are just arguing two different things.
There are never more competitive players than casuals. Serious players are always a small minority of the people playing a game like Mortal Kombat, at every point in its lifecycle.

And regardless, competitive players always have to buy the DLC too -- because you need it to lab those characters even if you don't main them. But they don't put those characters in the game for us -- there are guests in every game because the general audience buys them in high numbers.

Last edited:

Honestly not sure how someone could feel this way, Joker was a very compelling character in the injustice games. His chattering teeth combos, the way he beat you with his crowbar, and his entire aesthetic is so appealing in a fighting game and is a great way to express him as a character. I’m personally really excited to see him do those same things, just in a much more brutal fashion where he can finally kill people.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm hoping that the cane means he won't be a direct copy-paste from Injustice 2, like how Sub-Zero/Raiden in Injustice 2 were pretty much copy-pastes from MKX. Yes, they had new properties on their attacks and SOME new moves to help them fit better into the new game, but they were mostly just a modified MKX versions of the characters.

Hoping he gets a new stance, new moves, and that the cane plays a big part of his kit similar to Bartitsu Bo' Rai Cho -- but with more tricks and gimmicks. What if he has a blade that can come out of the bottom of the cane? The head of the cane looks like a hammer, so maybe he can swing it Shao Kahn style? It's probably one of his gear options too, so I hope he has canes inspired by The Penguin and Riddler.
Animations wise sure. But I2 Sub played completely different than MKX Sub.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Everyone likes different things. I agree, I find him pretty lame, from injustice to the movies. Boring, lame, uninteresting. Wish he wasn't in the game at all.
I think he'll be the most successful DLC of MK11. He's The Joker, the most iconic villain in American pop culture. I can't wait to see him in action.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
A Killing Joke themed fatality would be kinda cool.

Like a door appearing, Joker knocking, the opponent opening the door, then the fatality animation.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I’m personally really excited to see him do those same things, just in a much more brutal fashion where he can finally kill people.
yeah.. I hope they really go all out with him as it is MK and tone down the wacky kids cartoon shit and go with the more brutal phyco stuff. I really hope we see a much more hardcore joker than we saw in IJ.