What's new

Instant Quick Stand OkiDoki (Batman) (30% Standing Reset No Meter)

Do you think this is good tech or simply a bug?

• Tech

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bug

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Neither/both

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Micahl Dickens

OkiDoki-NrdShmN

So, I've been labbing a lot of I:GAU in preparation for InJ2, and I found this tech that works for any or at least most characters who have an f3 that collides with the ground (or gets pretty close). Basically, because doing a second f3 or f3 after b3 in the same combo causes HKD, with what's maybe a one frame link, you can get the benefits of the HKD as well as a standing reset. To test this, I even set the bot to roll on wakeup (which you can see Bane do at the end of the combo); the HKD traps them and you also get what seems to be at least a 2 frame advantage against normals and, at least with Batman, -3 against wakeups. At first I thought it must be because Lex's hitbox is so big, but the timing actually seems to be slightly looser against Bat Girl and I was able to connect it correctly more consistently on her hit box. To be sure it should work on most if not all characters, I also confirmed it against MMH as he is flying.

UPDATE:
Props to @ETC Mcfly for discovering this back in 2014!!
(goto 1:43 in the video)

After some more testing, I'm thinking that, at least with Batman, it leaves you at a disadvantage of -3 against wakeup attacks, so a perfectly timed d1 will trade with a 10 frame startup (tested against GL Lantern's Might), and a throw will beat/trade 9-10 frame startups. That being said, most specials with a fast enough startup (parries and supers excluded) are mega punishable on block or hit as a highs, and with the free mixup of simply timing it for the actual HKD instead of the standing reset is enough to make the tech worthwhile imo.

So far I've tested it confirmed and working for both Green Arrow and Aquaman, and I couldn't get it to work with Flash or Green Lantern, seemingly because both of their f3s don't get quite low enough to collide with the enemy late enough. Additionally, I generally ended up further away with Aquaman due to the length of the hitbox and the lack of movement putting me more in neutral than an advantage. Though, because Aquaman, there are moves that can reach the opponent in neutral at that distance anyway.

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Daaaaamn that's sick I never knew about that. It looks like they're on the floor and get up really quickly. Since you put the AI on roll and it did nothing, did you try setting the AI to wake up?

Micahl Dickens

OkiDoki-NrdShmN
Daaaaamn that's sick I never knew about that. It looks like they're on the floor and get up really quickly. Since you put the AI on roll and it did nothing, did you try setting the AI to wake up?
Just checked and while Hard Knock Downs don't prevent wakeups in IGAU, you are plus enough to d1 even a fast starting special e.g Bman's Slide Kick

F3s after f/b3s quickstand so it's not a bug, but i've never seen the opponent get up so quickly

I wish you tested wakeups, it looks like a lot of them would get stuffed with b1 but we dont know

It's unfortunate that such a good f3 quickstand has only been found on batman, since he doesnt have any quick starting overheads to supplement the low launcher.

If it doesnt stuff wakeups below 9 frames, then this is more of a gimmick than tech to me

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
That might the fastest b3/f3 quick stand I've seen lol.

I'd imagine a person can wakeup out of this, but given the nature of a quick stand, they have to do it quickly otherwise you might as well just block.

You should do some further testing on this to see if it stuffs the most problematic wakeups.

Micahl Dickens

OkiDoki-NrdShmN
F3s after f/b3s quickstand so it's not a bug, but i've never seen the opponent get up so quickly

I wish you tested wakeups, it looks like a lot of them would get stuffed with b1 but we dont know

It's unfortunate that such a good f3 quickstand has only been found on batman, since he doesnt have any quick starting overheads to supplement the low launcher.

If it doesnt stuff wakeups below 9 frames, then this is more of a gimmick than tech to me
I did some more labbing and here's what I've come up with:

I'm thinking that, at least with Batman, it leaves you at a disadvantage of -3 against wakeup attacks, so a perfectly timed d1 will trade with a 10 frame startup (tested against GL Lantern's Might), and a throw will beat/trade 8-9 frame startups. That being said, any special with a fast enough startup (parries and supers excluded) is mega punishable on block or hits as a high, and with the free mixup of simply timing it for the actual HKD instead of the standing reset is enough to make the tech worthwhile imo. Never enough mind games.

Also, it seems that any hurtbox f3 that goes low enough to the ground will make this work. So far I've tested it confirmed and working for both Green Arrow and Aquaman, and I couldn't get it to work with Flash or Green Lantern, seemingly because both of their f3s don't get quite low enough to collide with the enemy low enough to the ground.

I will add all this to OP.

So, I've been labbing a lot of I:GAU in preparation for InJ2, and I found this tech that works for at least Batman. Basically, because doing a second f3 or f3 after b3 in the same combo causes HKD, with what's maybe a one frame link, you can get the benefits of the HKD as well as a standing reset. To test this, I even set the bot to roll on wakeup (which you can see Bane do at the end of the combo); the HKD traps them and you also get what seems to be at least a 2 frame advantage (though maybe not). At first I thought it must be because Lex's hitbox is so big, but the timing actually seems to be slightly looser against Bat Girl and I was able to connect it correctly more consistently on her hit box. To be sure it should work on most if not all characters, I also confirmed it against MMH as he is flying.Your thoughts and opinions ? Do you think it's good tech because it's such a tight frame link? Or simply a bug that should be fixed if it hasn't been already? And, if anyone can confirm this works with any other character, post a link and example here.

UPDATE:

After some more testing, I'm thinking that, at least with Batman, it leaves you at a disadvantage of -3 against wakeup attacks, so a perfectly timed d1 will trade with a 10 frame startup (tested against GL Lantern's Might), and a throw will beat/trade 9-10 frame startups. That being said, most specials with a fast enough startup (parries and supers excluded) is mega punishable on block or hits as a high, and with the free mixup of simply timing it for the actual HKD instead of the standing reset is enough to make the tech worthwhile imo. Never enough mind games.

Also, it seems that any hitbox f3 that goes low enough to the ground will make this work. So far I've tested it confirmed and working for both Green Arrow and Aquaman, and I couldn't get it to work with Flash or Green Lantern, seemingly because both of their f3s don't get quite low enough to collide with the enemy low enough to the ground. Additionally, I generally ended up further away with Aquaman due to the length of the hitbox and th lack of movement putting me more in neutral than an advantage. Though, because Aquaman, there are moves that can reach the opponent in neutral at that distance anyway.

& @Scott The Scot Good tech bro! But this is old!

I posted it before evo 2014. See 1:43 min in this video.

I hope to continue contributing for Batman in Injustice 2.

I accidentally did this with Cyborg once and was never able to recreate it. Props for the post though, I always like seeing tech videos especially for injustice