What's new

Injustice 2 Story based on DC Rebirth?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Most of what consists of the DC universe is continuing forward. If you've been reading current DC Comics, you can carry on reading your favorite characters, sure in the knowledge that those characters aren't drastically changing again. Rebirth will reintroduce classic aspects or supporting cast members, but for the most part the New 52 is an experiment that DC wants to continue.

According to Johns, Rebirth #1 will focus on five aspects:
  • One major DC character will die
  • Certain DC characters will be reintroduced into the DC Universe
  • There's a secret that tackles in very nature of the DC Universe
  • Batman will focus on a mystery involving his greatest villain
  • Once the secret about the DC Universe is exposed, a new evil will threaten the entire universe

The biggest surprise in “DC Universe: Rebirth” #1 is the revelation that “Watchmen’s” Doctor Manhattan manipulated the DC Universe, taking away 10 years and altering the lives of every DC Comics character.

But what's Doctor Manhattan's deal, and why would he do something like this? And how does a “Watchmen” tie-in miniseries play into what’s going on in a big way?

This really makes me happy, and makes me want to go buy DC comics again, I have only ever bought Watchmen comics from DC before, so maybe this "Rebirth" will change my mind. Maybe it's the favoritism in me, but the Watchmen is too much of a badass group to leave out of the main DC universe, and I am glad to see they are finally realizing this.

In my order of who I would like to see playable in Injustice 2 is

1. Rorschach (Center) (My Favorite DC character)
  2. Dr. Manhattan (Second from the Left)
  3. Ozymandias (Far Left)
  4. The Comedian (Far Right)
  5. Silk Specter (Third from the Left)
  6. Nite Owl (Second from the Right)
So just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this. I got my information from these websites below, as I am not familiar with DC comics so I admit I had to google this.

P.S. for all of those people who say DC doesn't have rights to Watchmen, guess what. THEY DO.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Canon or not canon, that is the question: (Convergence issue #?) - It's not worth reading lol

RexxyC

what's done is done
Well yes, but now there is a legit story reasoning why a Watchmen character (Most likely Dr. Manhattan) is more than likely going to appear.
There is actually no reason for them to go with the Rebirth story-line in the game, like at all. What would the reasoning be here besides fanservice?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
There is actually no reason for them to go with the Rebirth story-line in the game, like at all. What would the reasoning be here besides fanservice?
Well considering (I am assuming here) that NRS isn't writing the story for the game, just actually making it.

DC isn't an NRS made product so they would have to ad-by by the original developer of DC since they are using their product.

And plus with all of these DC movies coming out, I would assume it would be a smart thing to do.

Superman isn't on the poster. (There is 1 clue)

RexxyC

what's done is done
Well considering (I am assuming here) that NRS isn't writing the story for the game, just actually making it.

DC isn't an NRS made product so they would have to ad-by by the original developer of DC since they are using their product.

And plus with all of these DC movies coming out, I would assume it would be a smart thing to do.

Superman isn't on the poster. (There is 1 clue)
You are assuming, you're assuming a lot. Have you seen the writing credits for Injustice? They didn't get DC writers. They got people who wrote old MK games. Just don't get your hopes up, like at all. The odds are completely and totally stacked against you.

If it comes to fruition by some miracle, more power to you.

Also how is Superman not being on the poster some kind of clue, if anything it's good marketing wise. Superman has been hated thus far in the movies, and you know who has been widely accepted? Afflecks Batman and Grant Gustins Flash. Even the Flash movie is building momentum.

TwiztidOne

I don't know who that is...
I would really love to see Dr Manhattan or ozymandias in injustice 2, that would be beyond hype

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Most of what consists of the DC universe is continuing forward. If you've been reading current DC Comics, you can carry on reading your favorite characters, sure in the knowledge that those characters aren't drastically changing again. Rebirth will reintroduce classic aspects or supporting cast members, but for the most part the New 52 is an experiment that DC wants to continue.

According to Johns, Rebirth #1 will focus on five aspects:
  • One major DC character will die
  • Certain DC characters will be reintroduced into the DC Universe
  • There's a secret that tackles in very nature of the DC Universe
  • Batman will focus on a mystery involving his greatest villain
  • Once the secret about the DC Universe is exposed, a new evil will threaten the entire universe

The biggest surprise in “DC Universe: Rebirth” #1 is the revelation that “Watchmen’s” Doctor Manhattan manipulated the DC Universe, taking away 10 years and altering the lives of every DC Comics character.

But what's Doctor Manhattan's deal, and why would he do something like this? And how does a “Watchmen” tie-in miniseries play into what’s going on in a big way?

This really makes me happy, and makes me want to go buy DC comics again, I have only ever bought Watchmen comics from DC before, so maybe this "Rebirth" will change my mind. Maybe it's the favoritism in me, but the Watchmen is too much of a badass group to leave out of the main DC universe, and I am glad to see they are finally realizing this.

In my order of who I would like to see playable in Injustice 2 is

1. Rorschach (Center) (My Favorite DC character)
  2. Dr. Manhattan (Second from the Left)
  3. Ozymandias (Far Left)
  4. The Comedian (Far Right)
  5. Silk Specter (Third from the Left)
  6. Nite Owl (Second from the Right)
So just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this. I got my information from these websites below, as I am not familiar with DC comics so I admit I had to google this.

P.S. for all of those people who say DC doesn't have rights to Watchmen, guess what. THEY DO.
I imagine 52 stuff/skins and rebirth skins showing up but this imo is a sequel to a game that took place story wise in an alternative universe lets call it Earth NRS. Imo the game wont drop that story and if anything the game will mirror the justice league movie and cw shows skin wise.

Edit: not saying they cant take those elements but imo they cant forget all the injustice comics prior tonthe first game and up to the current game.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
You are assuming, you're assuming a lot. Have you seen the writing credits for Injustice? They didn't get DC writers. They got people who wrote old MK games. Just don't get your hopes up, like at all. The odds are completely and totally stacked against you.

If it comes to fruition by some miracle, more power to you.

Also how is Superman not being on the poster some kind of clue, if anything it's good marketing wise. Superman has been hated thus far in the movies, and you know who has been widely accepted? Afflecks Batman and Grant Gustins Flash. Even the Flash movie is building momentum.
To be honest I have never seen the credits as I have never beaten the game. So I was not aware that old MK writers wrote it. I assumed wrong.

This is too big of a change happening right now to DC for WB/ NRS to just pass it by imo.

Marinjuana

Yea the Injustice comics were quite popular as well so I imagine that this is straight continuation of that universe. Only thing is that several highly popular characters are dead in universe, yea they could parallel earth justify that but that's a super weak plot device.

Watchmen characters don't really fit in that story to well, we don't even really know how they fit in the main DC continuity.(How they got there, etc.) Even then it's just the Doc and speculatively Ozymandias. I could totally see Rorschach DLC or something though.

RexxyC

what's done is done
To be honest I have never seen the credits as I have never beaten the game. So I was not aware that old MK writers wrote it. I assumed wrong.

This is too big of a change happening right now to DC for WB/ NRS to just pass it by imo.
On the contrary I think it should be passed up, I read Rebirth when it came out, and there's no reason that needs to happen in these games. That change is only going into effect for the comics, it doesn't even have an effect on the movies. The comics needed it, nowhere else does.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I normally wouldn't complain about such a thing, but can someone PLEASE put a spoiler warning in the title?
When I read Rebirth and got to the reveal, I said "what the fuck!" about 9000 times as I giggled in excitement because Watchmen is probably the greatest story I've ever read.

I'd rather fellow comic readers experience that same excitement, if you don't mind.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I would be down with that. I don't want return of dick Superman tho, I'm sick of him getting villianized. They gotta fuck with not just Superman, but Marvel has to mess with Cap. I guess there just can't be good characters for the sake of doing right anymore, everyone has to be edgy. I think it will be return of dick Superman because in the poster it looks like Batman is rocking a kryptonite laced batsuit.

Marinjuana

I normally wouldn't complain about such a thing, but can someone PLEASE put a spoiler warning in the title?
When I read Rebirth and got to the reveal, I said "what the fuck!" about 9000 times as I giggled in excitement because Watchmen is probably the greatest story I've ever read.
I agree that it would be horrible to have that spoiled but really I think people should expect spoilers from the title alone.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I'm tried of the hero fallen into despair trope.
I doubt they will copy civil war.
The last thing is brainwash/blackmail.

I'm hoping they go with something unique or interesting that put heroes against each other.

P.S. Batfleck was cool, but I still want Kevin Conroy to voice Batman.

Honestly, no. Injustice is its own thing and I feel like they shouldn't adapt this DC rebirth stuff. Watchmen characters just don't fit, I feel the same way about the actual DC rebirth storyline, it's a mistake to include Watchmen at all imo. Having Ozymandias or Rorschach playable as guests would be kind of neat though, if done right.

d3v

SRK
I wouldn't want the story to be based on Rebirth. However, I do wan't the game to reflect some of the editorial mandates being reflected in Rebirth such as reducing the levels of grimdark introduced in the New 52 that bled over to the original IGAU. At the very least, give the game a more vibrant color palette.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Injustice 2 continues the epic cinematic story introduced in Injustice: Gods Among Us as Batman and his allies work towards putting the pieces of society back together while struggling against those who want to restore Superman’s regime. In the midst of the chaos, a new threat appears that will put Earth’s existence at risk. Players can play from the biggest DC roster ever offered in a fighting game, from classic fan favorites such as Batman, Superman, Supergirl and Aquaman, to astonishing new villains like Atrocitus and Gorilla Grodd. Battles will take place across arenas that have evolved in scale and span across iconic locations such as Metropolis, Gotham City and Atlantis.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160608005497/en/Warner-Bros.-Interactive-Entertainment-Announces-Injustice-2

Sounds like a threat arrives after the regime topples in the midst of the power vacuum left behind from Superman losing. My guess is Darkseid and Lantern stuff. Most likely someone will panic and try to free Superman to deal with this.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Its already confirmed that its a Sequel to Injustices Story.

It picks up with the rebuild of society, threat of Regime Superman believers still out there and other bad stuff.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Watchmen characters don't really belong in injustice, most DC characters are represented as gods among men and Watchmen is really the exception to that. Even though I believe its the best comic book written hands down, all the characters, with the exception of Dr Manhattan, are just supposed to appear more human than superhuman. It just really wouldnt work with any other character but Dr Manhattan. As much as I love Night Owl they shouldnt be a part of NRS DC universe