What's new

Your Very First Mortal Kombat Experience? (Nostalgia Time!)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Nostalgia time.

I was thinking about how strange my first experience with Mortal Kombat was, so I thought I'd ask you how was the very first time you've ever played a Mortal Kombat game.

So back in I think 1996, I once came across a handheld gaming device that belonged to my cousin. Remember those 1-game handheld devices that were everywhere back in the 90s? Yeah, those. Anyway I pick up this one device, I was only 6 and I didn't know any English back then, so I couldn't tell what this game was about. I start messing around and pressing buttons, and I see that there are 2 characters fighting on the screen, and one of them is shooting dead fish out of his hands. I played for maybe 15 minutes with it then the hyper-activeness you have when you're a child took over and I moved on to whatever. I didn't know what the game was and my cousins didn't either. But I found it interesting and it just stuck in my mind.

A couple of years later I had my first "real" MK experience. One of my friends had a console (Sega I think) and he had UMK3 on it. We met regularly at his place (a bunch of 10 or 15 kids maybe) just to play that game and figure stuff out. We were mashing buttons and getting kicks and punches until we found out that with a combination of buttons you can get special moves out. I'll never forget the first time I pressed DF LP and got my first Ice Ball

After that we started looking up moves lists on the internet, fatality inputs, the ridiculously difficult brutality inputs, write them all down on paper and have it all ready for the next MK session. The good old days.

Years later, out of nowhere, I had this epiphany; I suddenly remembered that one game I played for like 15 minutes when I was about 6 years old, and I realized that that game must have been Mortal Kombat, and the guy shooting dead fish out of his hands was actually Raiden shooting thunder bolts. I always thought they were dead fish because they looked like Fish Bone from Super Mario World. For some reason, that one device, that one game, stuck in my mind all those years and I never forgot it, destiny?

I just googled and found the game I played, voila:

TL;DR: Played the handheld version of MK when I was a very little kid, didn't know what the game was. Couple of years later I was introduced to MK3. Years later I suddenly realized that the mysterious game I once played was in fact MK, see the spoiler above.

Attachments

Tim Static

Adminerator
1992 at my local Chuck E Cheeses (yes, Chuck had violent games back in the day!). Saw the Cage & dragon artwork on the side of the cab, walked around to the front watching 2 guys fighting each other with 2 ninjas......1 on blue throwing ice & 1 in yellow with a harpoon screaming shit. Blood. Then the guy in blue pulled the head off of the yellow guy with his spine still attached.

Was instantly hooked.

GameOver.gif

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
First time I ever played MK was Trilogy at my nana's house (first game I've ever played) when I was 5. It gave me nightmares when I first played, but I couldnt stay away. First fatality I ever did was Subby's censored spine rip. I remember me slowly improving enough to the point where I would beat my older cousins. Good times

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
First time I ever played MK was Trilogy at my nana's house (first game I've ever played) when I was 5. It gave me nightmares when I first played, but I couldnt stay away. First fatality I ever did was Subby's censored spine rip. I remember me slowly improving enough to the point where I would beat my older cousins. Good times
I remember how I started bodying all my friends once I figured out the inputs of Noob's teleport and clone throw lol.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
so - my first time with MK was when i used to go to the boys and girls club after school in west palm beach.
everyday after school we would be picked up and taken to the club. we had pool tables- bumper pool - air hockey - fooseball- board games - a computer room - tv area- and a SF2 champ Edition cab

now me - i pretty much had the same routine every day - id only spend half my $ at school for lunch and then once i got to the boys and girls club - id id start up money matching with other kids so id have enough $ to et on the SF cab. so pretty much playing pool, fooseball (no spinning) and playing pogs ( yes pogs) is how i got my $$ to play the SF2 cab non stop. id come to to club with $2-3 and then get on the cab when i had a least $12, lol. so the fact that i had the $ to keep playing and the fact that i could win more cause i got so much time it is what really opening my eyes to fighting games. ( besides Kung Fu on nes- what i call the original foosties game haha )

Well one day as soon as i get into the B&GC , i notice a HUGE crowd around by where the SF2 cab is. i mean norally wed have a group of maybe 4-5 always but today there was like 15+ so i look and its this game called Mortal Kombat and then i see someone playing as Raiden and i was like holy hell its a Big trouble in lttle china game, lol. the n someone picks scorpion and gets the spear to come out... if you can image the pop off at evo when someone beats wong or chris G - this was the feeling that the crowd had. seeing that spear for the first time was like you transended into heaven . lol

so i think i sold like $35 worth of my pogs that day and i played that shit until like 45 minutes after closing time.
with in id say 2 months my entire "clique" was:
beating the game with ease, and using the subzero free slide method vs goro
doing scorpion spear loops
3 head johnny Cage fatalities
Lui kang cartwheel glitches.

around this same time - an MK cab popped up at the corner store by my house-
so i started hanging out there- now with the older crowd- showing them my "skills" it was all cute until i basically got kidnapped and taken to a real arcade.

Welcome to the FGC

this was 92
then 93 and 94 happened and that was a wrap.

Last edited:
Very cool thread! And I remember the Tiger Electric Handheld games, though I never bothered with the Mortal Kombat one. But you're right, they were everywhere. I had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one myself.

As to my first Mortal Kombat experience, I would have been 10 or 11 when I walked into the arcade at the local mall I always went to. Usually everyone was crowded around Street Fighter II, but there were only a few people there and everyone was crowded around this new machine called "Mortal Kombat."

I pushed through the crowd just in time to see Johnny Cage knock Raiden's head clean off. Blew my mind, and was my fav game series until I got into shooters.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
my dad bought me mk2 for the gameboy when family were in america one year, then the week we got home he bough it for me on megadrive.

i still remember picking baraka for the 1st time and seeing his blades pop out, "holy shit this guy has blades coming out his arms, he's my guy" :)

Damn I wish I experienced the Arcade version of Mortal Kombat.
I was amazing. Fell in love with Scorpion simply due to his cool backstory. The undead guy out for revenge simply so he could see his family.

I sucked with joysticks, but got it on my GameBoy (crappy version) and played it a _lot_ on my buddies Sega Genesis. That time we got to Reptile for the first time...

my dad bought me mk2 for the gameboy when family were in america one year, then the week we got home he bough it for me on megadrive.

i still remember picking baraka for the 1st time and seeing his blades pop out, "holy shit this guy has blades coming out his arms, he's my guy" :)
The Game Boy version of Mortal Kombat II was an excellent handheld port for the day. I loved how they even had Smoke and Jade in it.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
actually to add - i was one of those salty players when mk3 went to mk4 - once mk4 dropped i was crazy intense about playing it- esp with the new lore but it just didnt have staying power for me. i think i seriously only played it for the leg rip fatality. so then i stepped away from MK - and only kept up with the lore of the games. - i played the side games though but just not the fighting games.. then one of my friends told me to check out mk9s story mode... and i was hooked again...mk9 brought me back.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Bruh, I'm 21 and can't remember what I ate for breakfast easily and you mofos can remember the smallest details from
Shit 10-15 years ago:eek: all I can remeber is a Nintendo 64, Liu kang going wudududududu and finish him!

Bruh, I'm 21 and can't remember what I ate for breakfast easily and you mofos can remember the smallest details from
Shit 10-15 years ago:eek: all I can remeber is a Nintendo 64, Liu kang going wudududududu and finish him!
Dude, over 20 years ago. The first game came out in 1992.

TamedLizard

Buff George
MK2 on Sega Genesis in 1993. I was 2.

Didn't play at first, my older cousin was always playing while I watched. The colors were so captivating. The greens, blues, purples, yellows, and reds. My cousin would always pick Reptile and would always do the Head Eat fatality.

To this day, that's still my absolute favorite fatality. Also to this day, I bust every time I hear the select screen music.

Gawd, MK1 & 2 had GDLK SOUNDTRACKS.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I played mk9 first at school in a special education room because it had a TV and no one gave a shit, also because the room where we normally played video games (the graphic arts room) we weren't allowed to play mk in because of the violence. I first played reptile and mashed the fuck it of the buttons and hoped that I won XD I then explored the older mk games starting with deception, and then feel in love with kenshi because kenshi is bae

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
1993. Wildwood, NJ. Shipwreck Island Minigolf (now long gone) had an arcade in the back that me and my cousins would frequent.

I mean... as soon as you saw that game, how could you NOT want to go over and play it? I loved Johnny Cage and Kano immediately.

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
UMK3 at a skating rink 10 mins from my house, I slowly stopped skating and played more ahahahaha. After I stopped going I begged my dad to buy me it for my genesis and I got it for christmas, after that I haven't stopped playing MK since.

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
My uncle played MK on Nintendo when I was really young in the 90's. I think I had mk3 or mk4 when i was a lil older but did not understand. My first real experience was MK9( while playing college basketball). Some of my teammates and me played. Then we were like screw it, if we playing and practicing everyday...... lets dig a lil bit and figure out how this stuff works...... i grew up and have less time and no ppl to train or play with. No matter...... i've been hooked ever since. Dreaming and thinking of MK in bed even if I don't play haha. Watching some of the badass tournament players grow with time. MK is the best. Story, characters, fighting...... Just too awesome. BUT fk this MKX online hahahahahaha!