What's new

YOMI DJT wins Atlanta Kombat Arena #11 (7/7/2015)

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Tuesday night in Atlanta and that means its time for yet another Atlanta Kombat Arena. This week saw 26 competitors enter the arena for kombat at Yomi Gaming including all the familiar faces as well as some surprise guests. The current champ DJT decided to switch it up this week by primarily using pumped up Jax as his character of choice. DMS made a surprise visit to Yomi to get some quick EVO training in. ATL Batman (known now as DOJO Batman) also made a return to show off his skills in Mortal Kombat X.

The first few rounds of the tournament saw a few very high profile players go down to upsets in the form of Clint the Beast defeating Michaelangelo 2-1 in an insanely hype down to the wire set in which clint used Sub Zero vs Michael's Quan Chi. The second upset came from none other than Zyphox who has been on a tear recently since his Top 16 placing at CEO just 2 weeks ago. He defeated Forever King 2-0 with some crafty Liu Kang play. In Loser's Bracket it would become a jungle full of top players with King being eliminated by Michael and Saltface with a surprising loss to Massive Skillz who is a local player that plays Kung Lao and Tanya.

YomiGaming_.jpg

For the most part Predator was still a bit too fresh for this tournament but you can see flashes of him from MIT, REO, and Clint at times during the tournament and Yomi also did a broadcast before the tournament if you would like to view that as well.

Top 3 would settle down to be Slayer vs MIT in winners and DJT in losers. Winner's Finals would be a classic match between two of Yomi's best with Slayer choosing a reliable Kung Lao while MIT decided to try the throwback with his original main in Hellfire Scorpion. The first match was very back and forth with each player taking a round but Slayer would smartly close it out with good patience against MIT's air assault.

MIT would make a character switch to a female character that we all know too well. However, it was Kitana(Mournful) instead of his Tanya. An odd choice that MIT has never used in tournament before. MIT would use an interesting style of zoning and rushdown mixed together to keep Slayer from getting the download allowing MIT to take the first round. Slayer would make the quick adjustment and use Lao's powerful up close game to corner Kitana and with one well timed Ex-spin to make sure MIT could not escape, the round was Slayer's. The final round would swing back into the favor of MIT with glaives flying everywhere giving us a 1-1 deadlock going into game 3 of the Winner' Finals.

Both competitors would continue firing back and forth swapping round wins until Slayer was victorious again. 2-1 in Slayer's favor now and MIT had a decision to make. At this point MIT was forced to go back to Tanya and win 2 straight games to advance over Slayer. Would the newly nerfed Tanya be enough to make it past Slayer's Kung Lao?

Slayer would start the game strong coming straight out of the gate with a nice jump in into combo. The round would grind down with MIT putting the hurt on Slayer in the corner. Slayer would break to force a last second scramble only to take a huge risk with a divekick that would get blocked and punished by MIT. Slayer would quickly take the second round and take a huge half life lead in the third looking like he would close out the set. A risky wakeup by Slayer would get stuffed by MIT after Slayer dropped a crucial combo leaving him free to be pummeled in the corner by MIT. MIT would leave no holes and Slayer found himself now tied 2-2 when he was on the brink of winning. MIT would smell blood and would decisively take game 5 with Kobu Jutsu's powerful ground game to overwhelm Slayer. Overall the Winner's Finals was a great back and forth affair ending 3-2 in MIT's favor with multiple characters on display.

Loser's Finals would see the other Terry Brother, DJT, fight Slayer after that crushing defeat. Earlier in the tournament Slayer had beaten DJT 3-2 so this was a runback with Denzell looking to get revenge. The CEO champ decided to stick with the flavor of the week in Pumped Up Jax while Slayer kept on trucking with Kung Lao. Slayer would start off the set strong but Denzell is know for his adaptation and defensive play. DJT would overcome the life deficit by exploiting the various holes in Slayers pressure as he continued to go in against the brick wall defense of DJT despite having a life lead. Slayer would get reckless and more unsafe in the second round allowing DJT to go up 1-0.

Slayer would become more patient at the start of the next game to take round 1 but again in round 2 some major errors began to cost him. Slayer would slam his fists at the end of round 2 after a costly blocked divekick and what seemed like and unwanted breaker. Slayer would need to calm down immediately to keep from becoming overwhelmed. Denzell would use this current mental advantage to bait Slayer into some more risky maneuvers allowing Denzell to push the set to the brink at 2-0.

Slayer would again make the proper adjustments but a dropped combo late in the round forced him to break and lose an unnecessary 2 bars. He would take the round but now DJT had a large meter advantage. Denzell would continue to put on a clinic on how to play defensively vs Lao by smartly using ex gotcha grab to trade meter for meter and get damage through slayer's pressure. The final round would now set DJT on match point. Denzell would prove to be too hard to open up in the final round and closed the set out with yet another Ex Gotcha to anti air Slayer with Slayer proclaiming that he was dead as soon as he jumped. Denzell would advance to Grand Finals against his brother yet again after a great display of defensive play with his new Jax.

The Terry Brothers Grand Final has been a classic at Yomi for many weeks since their arrival. This week had some new twists with Denzell's new character and MIT also with a few tricks up his sleeve to go along with Tanya (who Yomi believes is still a Top 3 character). MIT would start with his own brand new character in Predator! It's only day 1 and the character is already showing up in Grand Finals. DJT would stick to Jax vs the Warrior variation of Predator. MIT had been showing off many self destruct setups earlier in the day on stream so his Predator seemed prime for action.

MIT would make a huge comeback using some setups that Warrior Predator can catch people off guard with including the divebomb that is unique to that variation. However, right as MIT was about to take the round he dropped the major combo! Looks like day 1 may be just too early to debut a brand new character. Denzell would continue to put the hurt on the new character in the MK universe to seal out game 1. MIT would stick with predator to keep the intrigue going. MIT would continue to meet tough defense from Denzell only to find himself on the wrong end of a 2-0 deficit. He still had the cushion of a reset but it was time for Malik to get serious as screams of "YOMI 6-0" echoed throughout the crowd. Tanya time at Yomi once again. Tanya would prove to be just enough as MIT would take a close game 3 to put him on the board and remove the thought of a 6-0 skunking. Both players would continue brawling trading pressure back and forth with a few mindgames as both players tried to get in the other brother's head. Denzell would push through the final round to force a 3-1 bracket reset with his insanely impressive Jax.

Now on level terms the new set would still be on the same precedent as before. This match was all about who could outsmart who up close. MIT would draw first blood in the new set showing off a few new tricks and staggers as well as the use of armor to stifle Denzell's attempts at reversing pressure. Now it was on Denzell to make adjustments to make sure MIT did not run away with this set. Every match so far had each player with very little left to spare once they won and the next was no different. MIT would try to mix in some more defensive play with tonfa throws but it was to no avail as Denzell found his was in again and again finishing the game with a chip out death. All tied up once again.

MIT would ponder a character change but ultimately decided to stick it out with tanya. Both players began to advance the levels of yomi trying to find ways around the others tendencies. Each player would trade armor and pokes constantly while mixing up the strings and pressure. Ultimately it was DJT who found the answer as he got MIT down to around 30% life and waited to use what seems to be his favorite move, Ex Gotcha Grab. Denzell would follow with a straight punch to stuff MIT's armor because he had no life to take the hit. 2-1 and Denzell was now on the brink of winning after a full bracket reset.

MIT was now not confident in Tanya finishing the job so he picked Jax's fellow Special Forces office in Sonya Blade. MIT would hope that Sonya's power mixup game would be enough to open up the iron wall defense that Denzell had been showing off all night. 18 seconds into the match and the first round was already gone to MIT. So far Sonya had worked exactly as planned as DJT was having a lot of trouble keeping her out and blocking the deadly mixups of momma Blade. Denzell would move to match point by keeping his distance and frustrating MIT anytime he got close. Denzell would move in for the kill late in the final round but an almost Jedi like parry from MIT would give him the life lead and allow him to finish Denzell off forcing a game 5 in grand finals!

Both players would start game 5 with a little full screen projectile trading. Each was looking for the perfect opportunity to bait a bad projectile and make their way in. MIT would put a well placed divekick right on Jax's head to sway the round in his favor. However, Denzell would fight back and use ex gotcha grab, like he has all night, to finish off the round and move to match point. Denzell would again use 2 ex gotcha grabs and a well converted f21 to put MIT on the brink of death. A last ditch wake up xray that was highly telegraphed by Denzell would seemingly close it out, but Denzell would swing too early and get hit by the late frames of the animation! Shades of Forever King at Seasons Beatings many years ago when he hit Johnny Cage's xray far after it was thought to be active. MIT would convert for the combo but a dropped leg grab would give Denzell the opportunity to simply chip him out with a well spaced jump kick to take the set and tournament 3-2!

DJT is your champion once again and has been on a tear as we all know recently. He has won CEO and the past 2 Yomi's and even more impressively he has done it with all Jax on this night. Thanks for all that tuned into the stream and those who competed and we will see you next week for the 12th installment of the Atlanta Kombat Arena!

Grand Finals

Losers Finals

Winners Finals

Week 11 Playlist for AKA

Find us on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsOf2h9Fl8_-j8cGNEUsbFg

Full results can be found at http://challonge.com/mkx7715

Top 8
1- DJT
2- MIT
3- Slayer
4- Michaelangelo
5-Kush
5-Zyphox
7-Xenomorph
7-Massive Skillz

I will be writing the articles for the foreseeable future for the Yomi tournaments. I am looking for any and all criticism on my articles as it is you guys who I want to get the information out to in the best way. I know my articles are long and in depth and if that is too much then let me know. If it is just Top 8 results and a few videos embedded that people want then I will be glad to do that. Just try to keep the criticism civil and enjoy the article if you have time. See you next week TYM!

Attachments

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
not even a week later and already we see djt dropping KL for jax...

God I love always being right.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

I doubt he is dropping him at all. Denzell has a lot of characters at a high level at his disposal. I think Jax was a test to see just how ready he can have these characters in time for EVO. I wouldnt read into it as him dropping Lao.

Zephyrus

I doubt he is dropping him at all. Denzell has a lot of characters at a high level at his disposal. I think Jax was a test to see just how ready he can have these characters in time for EVO. I wouldnt read into it as him dropping Lao.
would love to be proven wrong at EVO, but fact is that now, Jax makes you deal with a lot more bullshit than Kung Lao. That talk about KL being the best of the game just isn't true. You took away the pressure of a character with no 50/50s and outstanding zoning. No way he stays the best.

I could almost say today's tier list is a troll to bait fools into picking Lao for EVO. That list is just... wierd.

edit: deleted the part where I wrote Lao is still good. Just maybe not top 5 anymore.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Still a little upset we missed REO vs Mike ):
Any chance of YOMI investing in a device so that we can see off-stream matches? :^)

Either way, was a good tourney.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
would love to be proven wrong at EVO, but fact is that now, Jax makes you deal with a lot more bullshit than Kung Lao. That talk about KL being the best of the game just isn't true. You took away the pressure of a character with no 50/50s and outstanding zoning. No way he stays the best.

I could almost say today's tier list is a troll to bait fools into picking Lao for EVO. That list is just... wierd.

edit: deleted the part where I wrote Lao is still good. Just maybe not top 5 anymore.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP MIXING UP THE TERMS INFINITE BLOCKSTRING AND PRESSURE ALREADY!!!

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Smarr, personally, I prefer a quick paragraph summary with results, brackets, and archives to watch at my leisure.

Except you're wrong. DJT used Tempest in casuals for hours yesterday and thinks the +12 nerf did nothing to affect Lao's overall gameplan or tier placement. He just wanted to try Jax in tournament. He's bringing out Boneshaper next week, and you will still be wrong.

Last edited:

Zephyrus

Smarr, personally, I prefer a quick paragraph summary with results, brackets, and archives to watch at my leisure.

Except you're wrong. DJT used Tempest in casuals for hours yesterday and thinks the +12 nerf did nothing to affect Lao's overall gameplan or tier placement. He just wanted to try Jax in tournament. He's bringing out Boneshaper next week, and you will still be wrong.
We'll see. I was told I was "wrong" too about fisticuffs and for some strange reason, which to this day still eludes me, DJT dropped him. I mean I was told by all these certified pros that fisticuffs was still good and I was just crying about a nerf that didn't hurt fisticuffs at all.
DJT could've used Goro in casuals for hours too and that wouldn't make Goro anything other than bottom 1. The +12 nerf hurted Lao. Go watch the matches on this thread and watch Slayer get bopped EACH AND EVERY DAMN TIME he tries to use the blockstring. Waste of meter each and every time. KL still has excellent footsies, an amazing anti-air, great range and great damage potential. He's still top. I never said he'd become unviable which seems to be what people on this site seem to read each and every time someone complains about a nerf.
There has only... let me reiterate that, ONLY one character (variation) which I said that the nerf made unviable and that is JC's fisticuffs.

But who knows... maybe DJT will take Lao to EVO and win it. Maybe he'll lose with him and pick someone else. Maybe he won't even pick him. Remains to be seen. I'll admit, I was too quick to say he dropped Lao. I just haven't seen him not pick Lao for the full duration of any AKA. Struck out to me as wierd.
You're easily the most obnoxious poster on TYM, even if you actually are right about KL not being the best. You're still unbearable and often wrong. You also spread some bullshit information. Please, shut the fuck up.
RM Cossner gives me a run for my money. Atleast I don't go around calling others scrubs and talking like I'm so much better than these filthy casuals because I... something something.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP MIXING UP THE TERMS INFINITE BLOCKSTRING AND PRESSURE ALREADY!!!
Never did such thing. By the way, Kung Lao or Shinnok never had an infinite block string. At most they had 4 repetitions of the string and required a full bar plus another 1/3 being generated thanks to the meter gained by having that string blocked.

I mean, if you're going to be anal about something, atleast make sure you're right.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Never did such thing. By the way, Kung Lao or Shinnok never had an infinite block string. At most they had 4 repetitions of the string and required a full bar plus another 1/3 being generated thanks to the meter gained by having that string blocked.
This is NOT pressure. It's a block string. You called this pressure in this thread as well as multiple times on this thread: http://testyourmight.com/threads/what-12-means-to-tempest-lao.53950/

Too lazy to go and collect all your posts from the other thread.

Being + on a string/special and having the advantage of trying to catch a button or read that your opponent is going to armor/backdash/jump etc. is pressure. If the opponent's only option is block/block breaker, then this can't be classified as pressure.

Get your FG terminology straight.

Zephyrus

I forgot the part where being +12 meant your pressure was over. My bad...
sometimes I just want to reach into the screen grab you people and shove your stupid face into the screen. Did you not see the matches that are displayed on this thread?

Did you not see Slayer get bopped every time he tries to use that godlike 420blaze it +12 pressure? No? Then go watch it again. Watch DJT just shut slayer down every damn time. Strange how people constantly point out to me that DJT says the nerf did nothing to Lao yet it's DJT that fucking proves how goddamn right I am about this. There's just something amazing about this and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But please do continue to ignore what is obvious and what's even on display.

This site is SRK all over again. Nothing but morons with 0 thought capacity of their own. Just mindless drones following only the top players words.

Want an even better proof that this nerf hurted Lao? Minutes after I wrote that this nerf hurted Lao, Sonicfox immediatly made sure for you all to know that a d1 stuffs Lao's godlike pressure that was in no way nerfed.

Zephyrus

This is NOT pressure. It's a block string. You called this pressure in this thread as well as multiple times on this thread: http://testyourmight.com/threads/what-12-means-to-tempest-lao.53950/

Too lazy to go and collect all your posts from the other thread.

Being + on a string/special and having the advantage of trying to catch a button or read that your opponent is going to armor/backdash/jump etc. is pressure. If the opponent's only option is block/block breaker, then this can't be classified as pressure.

Get your FG terminology straight.
all right I'll concede to that. Yeah my terminology is weak at best. I do hope you see my points and don't focus on me using the wrong terminology to dismiss anything that I write.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
sometimes I just want to reach into the screen grab you people and shove your stupid face into the screen. Did you not see the matches that are displayed on this thread?

Did you not see Slayer get bopped every time he tries to use that godlike 420blaze it +12 pressure? No? Then go watch it again. Watch DJT just shut slayer down every damn time. Strange how people constantly point out to me that DJT says the nerf did nothing to Lao yet it's DJT that fucking proves how goddamn right I am about this. There's just something amazing about this and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But please do continue to ignore what is obvious and what's even on display.

This site is SRK all over again. Nothing but morons with 0 thought capacity of their own. Just mindless drones following only the top players words.

Want an even better proof that this nerf hurted Lao? Minutes after I wrote that this nerf hurted Lao, Sonicfox immediatly made sure for you all to know that a d1 stuffs Lao's godlike pressure that was in no way nerfed.
DJT is armoring before the cancel everytime. This has nothing to do with the nerf because it was always possible. Study more closely before you try to blow me up. Laos have to learn to evolve their pressure because the orbiting hat cancel was never safe vs armor unless you read it and block.

You also have to look out for backdash out of the cancel as well so yes there have always been options around it and people are finally starting to adapt to it in tournament. I dont think the +12 thing is that much of a nerf. If they respect the cancel you still get b3 again or 11 to break their armor if they are gutsy enough to try it.

Zephyrus

DJT is armoring before the cancel everytime. This has nothing to do with the nerf because it was always possible. Study more closely before you try to blow me up. Laos have to learn to evolve their pressure because the orbiting hat cancel was never safe vs armor unless you read it and block.
You sure? Never saw anyone doing it on stream or against me before this nerf. Granted, I never did against other Lao's too.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
You sure? Never saw anyone doing it on stream or against me before this nerf. Granted, I never did against other Lao's too.
Yea this is why everyone thinks Lao is insane becuase they arent forcing the guessing game.

Go into training mode and set the computer to reversal with an armored special and try to do b321 Ex hat into b3. The computer will armor as you cancel into the hat. You can also set them to backdash and they will get away but you will keep the orbiting hat.

Zephyrus

Yea this is why everyone thinks Lao is insane becuase they arent forcing the guessing game.

Go into training mode and set the computer to reversal with an armored special and try to do b321 Ex hat into b3. The computer will armor as you cancel into the hat. You can also set them to backdash and they will get away but you will keep the orbiting hat.
I honestly didn't knew about that. So what was the point of nerfing Lao's block string?
If he could already be bopped out of the string with armor, why nerf the block string?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

Bruh pls.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X

REALLY?! Lao makes you deal with alot more bullshit? Call me when Jax gets a divekick AND a teleport. Give me a fucking break...