What's new

Why was this game so overlooked?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I understand the weapons were a bit goofy and everything, but what made MK4 truly unique was the ability to make your own combos, as long as it didn't go above the "MAXIMUM DAMAGE" restriction - combos generally are 40-50% though I have seen one of Scorpion's that hits 75%.

Anyways, I'd like to get into this game, because it honestly looks like a lot of fun. I myself neglected it in the past but I'm looking to give it another shot! Here's a video (though there's an entire sub-forum of videos) that'll hopefully hype up some other people to give it a chance! I'd like to try it out with our group and see how it's received! :)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Because of 2 reasons:

First off, back in those days, coming off of UMK3, MK4 was a pretty big departure. While it retained the run button and classic button layout, it was just SO different. That was something that MK just would always do tho, just change drastically. MK4 was fun, but it lost a lot of fans with how much of a departure it was, both with visuals & the way it played. MK4 is a fun game, but that brings me to point #2: The game never got a proper emulation, and the best port of the game was the N64 version. yes, you read that right. The Zues hardware the arcade ran on is still very difficult to emulate. Thats why you've never seen a proper arcade port of MK4 Rv3.0 not to mention a port of The Grid.

Also, one thing that helped MK4 in the long run was the god awful MK's that followed it: MKDA, MKD & MKA. Had those games been great, MK4 would have easily been forgotten but we hold it somewhere special because it was the last great MK.

Big Frog

Noob
Yeah, I loved this game too. Very, very fun to play. I remember the day it came out and just couldn't wait to play it. I was mad my favorite chars weren't in it, but still a seriously fun game.

The end cutscenes and the combo limiter flag were the only two good things about this game. (Plus a few good fatalities like the Quan Chi leg one).

Tim Static

Adminerator
True, but you could side step in MK4 iirc.
yea but thats the ONLY 3d part about the game play, and with the new character models, 3d is limited in that game unlike MK9 which is a 3d fighter stuck on a 2d plane
The end cutscenes and the combo limiter flag were the only two good things about this game. (Plus a few good fatalities like the Quan Chi leg one).
The MK4 is top 3 of all time. The MK9 version is stupid.

eks

Noob
MK4 was shitty because it regressed a lot on the momentum UMK3 had built up. With UMK3, we had a fast-paced, fairly simple fighter that flowed really well looked great (for the time) and MK4 was slower, had needless intricacies (like weapons/throwable objects and sidestepping) that ruined the flow and it looked like shit since hi-poly graphics weren't possible back then.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
MK4 was shitty because it regressed a lot on the momentum UMK3 had built up. With UMK3, we had a fast-paced, fairly simple fighter that flowed really well looked great (for the time) and MK4 was slower, had needless intricacies (like weapons/throwable objects and sidestepping) that ruined the flow and it looked like shit since hi-poly graphics weren't possible back then.
Lol, MK4 is the fastest MK game, much faster than UMK3 and faster than MKT even. Man, people just don't know when it comes to MK4 I guess.