What's new

Question - A-List Why Johnny Cage is still an A-Lister

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
The consensus I'm reading is he isn't as good as before and this and that. IMO, he's very strong. Just not as easy to use as MK9. If you compare him to brainless Kung Jin, he doesn't look as good but again you just have to earn your wins more now. But he got improvements people are overlooking. I was going to do a Pros and Cons list, but I will just post both below in no order:

-His D4 now reminds me of Sonya's in MK9. It lowers his hitbox (I've ducked so many jump over attempts). It has really great reach that I'm convinced most movie star users aren't implementing enough in their game

-The fact his EX Nutpunch combos is huge. Plus it's super easy to hit confirm

-His F2 being an overhead is really nice and the range and priority is very deceptive

-I know we all miss F3 abuse, but in a way, it's still there (A-List) just have to get your execution down point.

-I don't think his bad matchups are as bad anymore. Grandmaster Subzero used to be a nightmare, but SD (Stunt Double) really helps plow through (safely) the ice clones.

-I think JC is one of the few chars with a good problem to have, I strongly feel all 3 variations are viable in high level play. I think it comes down to preference.

What do you movie stars think?

Last edited:

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I think fisticuffs creates pressure for people to want to get away. Nobody wants to eat that much chip. I think it's still unexplored

kabal had obviously broken combination of all things that make a character good (rididculous block strings, unseeable mixup/frame traps, best wakeup move, best zoning, high damage) i really dont think johnny does

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I think fisticuffs creates pressure for people to want to get away. Nobody wants to eat that much chip. I think it's still unexplored
Thus far, Fisticuffs is the variation that I see the least amount of potential in, so I'm holding out hope for some hidden tech in that character.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Of course he's as not good as Kabal, but that was an example of 2 things

1) When the game came out, everybody and their mother slept on Kabal being top tier. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the greatest actor the world has ever known as not being an extremely strong char

2) His run cancelling mixups are excellent. It makes F3 safe again and actually plus on block. Harder to do consistently, but it's still there and still very possible. Hell even Stunt Double creates mind games. Once you condition your opponent and have mimic activated, the fun begins:

-I can do F24 into shadow kick (which also leaves me +1 on block, at least that's how it feels so far)
-I can do F24 into DB1 or DB1EX, which is even nastier

Now do either of those once and your opponent will be more cautious to try to touch you after he blocks F24. THIS is where the fun begins IMO. And that's just SD (Stunt Double).

Johnny Cage is a bully, it's just up to us to remind people of that. Let's enjoy this time of people sleeping on him, I still think (after really going into the lab with both A list and SD) he's a very strong char, regardless of what tier you want to put him in.

i would actually like to know (if there even is one) a 38%+ corner combo in a list, i cant seem to figure one out since nutpunch doesn't come out as fast as in stunt double. anyone?

eddie is an obviously good character with incredible mixups, space control and setplay on oki that is so far ahead of anything johnny could dream of doing its a completely unfair comparison. also hes not as hard to use as youd think

still waiting for someone to prove me wrong by beating really good players in a tournament setting with johnny on stream, it would be super nice to see

eddie is an obviously good character with incredible mixups, space control and setplay on oki that is so far ahead of anything johnny could dream of doing its a completely unfair comparison. also hes not as hard to use as youd think

still waiting for someone to prove me wrong by beating really good players in a tournament setting with johnny on stream, it would be super nice to see
What do you think would make the character better?

Last edited:

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
What do you think would make the charafter better?
A 50/50, a low starter that comboed, his punches actual hitting something after you block it and not wiffing his "mids" on crouching characters, a string that really forwardly advances (like Cassie's back 1), nut punch being an actual jump in block string reset like it was in MK9....I could go on.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
@NY_Jailhouse It's extremely early in the game. If you want to have your opinion of him that's fine, all I'm saying is keep an open mind. The game is a little over 2 weeks old, so I doubt any major tech of Cage has been discovered. Let's also let a few majors happen (the last couple of big tournaments I saw a Johnny Cage in top 7, just saying).

@Epy69zSmallBoys If Cage had a low starter that comboed, he would be a pretty ridiculous character. I made a thread giving my thoughts on this current version, I still feel he's very strong just very different than MK9. MK9 I felt he was more simple (the overall game was more simple actually) but simple doesn't mean worse. SD and A-List are proving to be extremely viable so far and I'm seeing a few cages rep him well. Even @Mikemetroid feels he's strong, and I'll take his opinion over most right now

I went over to the dark side and strayed from Johnny to play Cassie, but I've been playing some Johnny lately.

Just because he doesn't have a low starter doesn't mean he sucks. I think he still has a lot of opportunity. We can't write him off just yet.

To me it seems like you have to work a little harder with Johnny, but once people get more comfortable with his pressure and execution he'll look even better.

Last edited:
I think before we were just spoiled with how easy everything was. Easy execution and all you needed was strong fundamentals and okizeme. Now you need to add execution like most of the cast
Yeah, I like Johnny a lot and he was my main in MK9, but I don't know about him in this game. I've tried picking him up several times but when i'm in a match I just don't know what to do with the character.

Wigy

There it is...
I'm probably guna get laughed out of here, but fisticuffs is good for zoning. Against characters like kotal khan if u have 3 bars u can get about 30% pretty much free chip on him off a shadow kick if u had fistcuffs on lol, Ex gas bals does like 9% chip. Mix it up with regular ones and keep him locked down, trust me its effective.

We will just have to wait and see the endless possibilities the Mortal Kombat Community come up with, its still TOO EARLY to count out the Hollywood Boy
I myself am very eager to see what Mix-up / Reset concepts they come up with for Johnny. when getting familiar with this character its like he reminds me of BatGirl from Injustice but I guess kinda sluggish but what I'm trying to say is be patient and eventually we ll see some SICK Combo Videos for the Cocky Son of a Bitch LOL:cool: Cage Style!!!!!!:tonyt:tonyt:tonyt