What's new

What is the first thing you usually do in a match?

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
What do you usually do to get things started in the first match against a new opponent? What character do you play? Any MUs where you do something special? Are you looking for something long-term like a full combo or setup or are you just trying desperately for first hit?

I usually walk forwards very slightly and d4. I find this doesn't get me blown up often. If I'm playing Outlaw and feeling saucy I'll sometimes do a random njp if I think they're gonna jump in or at least respect me and back off. Against someone like Takeda I usually try to get in his face immediately.

For the first few months of the game I saw a lot of people walk backwards first in high level play but now I'm seeing more explosive footsies-based movements.

It depends on wat character im using usually. With sub i usually do a down4 or back off a bit then ice clone. With johnny i usually back off then forceball or f3 into pressure dependin on opponent n variation

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
If I'm playing Sub-Zero, I'll go for a d4, unless I know my opponent. If I know my opponent likes to go for d4 also, I walk back and whiff punish the poke with a slide.

Sometimes I just parry right from the start and blow up their poking for a full combo.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Takeda players love to start with F3, I usually choose Shinnok against them. I start with a d1 right off the bat, d1 doesn't reach the opponent but if they go for a f3 my d1 will hit them.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
I use jax first thing I do is quickly try to remember the over heads and lows my opponent has then quickly look at the spacing and determine if it's logical that they will try to use it and try to figure out if my f4 will beat it out e.g. if I see a quan chi his sword is dangerous and his low can't hit me at that distance so most likely he will try the sword or a jump in.Less likely he will back dash so I back dash as soon as the match starts and 80% it's a jump in or sword then I punish or I say screw it and use f4 or jaxs crazy adaptable jump in punch.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I try to determine what I think the opponent is going to do based on who they're using and then decide what I'm gonna do.

With Tremor, I either start off with a d4, Air Earth Shake or just block.
This is exactly what I do...and I even main Tremor too.

If I am on my favorite arena, Krossroads, I will sometimes start the round with an enhanced interactable(the goat(?) skull in the middle). It's safe on block, and you would be shocked how often it works! Now, I would probably never do this in an offline set, fyi.

To all my TYM brethren, please....stop f*cking jumping at your opponent to start the round. If that is what you do regularly, stop. Get new habits because that shit will get you blown up.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Personally I try to preditct my opponent as most probably do, I play liu kang so my round 1 start options are actually fairly limited compared to others, my NJP is bollocks and my Jips are awful so air to airs are not a good idea so I sometimes attempt a very cheeky B333 (more effective than it should be but being something no one would ever do it lands) or I D4, otherwise I usually back away, if I'm familiar with my opponent I respect their options (i.e Kung Lao forces me to respect) or I back away not knowing what their options are to ensure I can bait out their next shit.

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
To all my TYM brethren, please....stop f*cking jumping at your opponent to start the round.
Every Slasher Jason ever.
But regarding the topic, my d4 goes straight into hell sparks with shinnok so I normally block their d4 and hit mine into full combo.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Personally I try to preditct my opponent as most probably do, I play liu kang so my round 1 start options are actually fairly limited compared to others, my NJP is bollocks and my Jips are awful so air to airs are not a good idea so I sometimes attempt a very cheeky B333 (more effective than it should be but being something no one would ever do it lands) or I D4, otherwise I usually back away, if I'm familiar with my opponent I respect their options (i.e Kung Lao forces me to respect) or I back away not knowing what their options are to ensure I can bait out their next shit.
I like using B2 as Liu Kang off the start, but a lot of people expect it. Still it hits a lot of people because they see Liu Kang and instantly just start crouch blocking. That F44 scare.

As Reptile normally I B34, it anti-airs, is safe on block and will hit from the distance. Also low profiles their high starter if they try that.

As Cassie I normally B12 and hit go for the hit confirm. If they block it I ex flip right after.

As Quan I backdash. Its easier to get a first hit with your zoning tools than it is with B2 or something jank off the start.

As Sonya I Jump Back 3 (covers jump ins) into cancel divekick (if they advanced with F3 or something your divekick will hit) if they stayed still or backdashed, you'll land just before them and can either BF4 EX for the armor and first hit or use her small recovery frames from divekick to go instantly into pressure.