What's new

What I should know about going to a Major

macro

Eezeepeezee
So i'm planning to start attending Majors for the first time after The month of July. Is there anything I should know about travel expenses, like should I go with a friend in a car, take a train, or get some plane tickets. I'm also not to sure how most go about getting a room at the event. So if any of you guys' could shed some light on the process, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
don't worry about it, op, I can help you up with all that boring grown-up stuff. first, go ahead and pm me your social security # and credit card information/copy of your birth certificate to me and we'll start from there.
This is a solid course of action @macro. Hell, he even used correct punctuation so you KNOW he is legit. Add me to the loop on that PM.

We are here for you man. We got your back.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So i'm planning to start attending Majors for the first time after The month of July. Is there anything I should know about travel expenses, like should I go with a friend in a car, take a train, or get some plane tickets. I'm also not to sure how most go about getting a room at the event. So if any of you guys' could shed some light on the process, it would be greatly appreciated.
What state do u live in, age? What months can u/do u wanna travel during?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Michigan, will be 18, any month after July,
anything
Evo in July
Round trip for you in a car is 2040 miles. Summer gas prices (although currently low) will cost you 223.00 gas for this trip alone, there's also 50 hours of driving round trip involved where on the road you will spend more money during that time period (food, drink, snack,
Hotel) and wear on your car

Smart route is 348.00 from Detroit to Vegas airplane ticket on Thursday July 16th arrive back home July 20th

Room w 3 people split hotel cost

Estimation cost will be 550-$600.00

Mind you Evo is by far the best event of the year but it's also most expensive

A slightly better option in May 21-24 Chicago, IL attend combo-breaker

283 miles each way hence 50-70$ gas split among a friend or more plus a kick ass event near you

When you attend event factor in hotel cost, travel, food while there, etc
Hope this helps

Srryimwhte

RM PTH
the only respectabl answer is beer

First and foremost, consider any money that you put into getting to the event as gone. This isnt a means to get rich, especially not fighting games, if you wanted to make money playing video games, pick up league of legends and hope that youre better than like 50 bajillion people. These events are about getting out here, competing and having fun.

Take advantage that you want to get into the NRS community, which I find much more welcoming than the capcom community that just calls new comers "09ers" and shits on your for being bad without providing any advice about getting better. I'm NOT saying that you WONT find that in the NRS community, or that you will find NOITHING but that in capcom, but thats just from my experience.

Do you have a car? do you know anyone else in your area? before traveling out, try to go to some local events, or even try posting in your regions thread about getting together and having a session somewhere. Get to meet some people and make a connection before you go and trek to a far distance across state lines. Youll save on gas and driving all those hours with others in the car is alot safer than doing it alone (especially for such a young person)

I've never been to EVO so I can't speak about what it's like, but you def want to try to go to some events that are easy to get to. Def reconsider starting this when mkx comes out, and paying a visit to UFGT/combo breaker.

If you want to fly and not deal with going cross country in a car and paying for all that gas, make sure you go somewhere that has public transportation.

You're starting in july, look into flights that go to Philadelphia and keep an eye out for summer Jam, there isnt a date announced just yet, but its usually around the end of august, and should be announced any week now. As long as youre staying in the hotel, you can call them and have them arrange a shuttle to come get you from the airport after you land. If you were old enough to rent a car I would tell you to just pay the money to do that instead, less of a hassle. This shuttle service does exist for other events depending on how close they are to an airport, you wanna call the hotel front desk just to make sure.

Hope to see you somewhere this summer!

macro

Eezeepeezee
Evo in July
Round trip for you in a car is 2040 miles. Summer gas prices (although currently low) will cost you 223.00 gas for this trip alone, there's also 50 hours of driving round trip involved where on the road you will spend more money during that time period (food, drink, snack,
Hotel) and wear on your car

Smart route is 348.00 from Detroit to Vegas airplane ticket on Thursday July 16th arrive back home July 20th

Room w 3 people split hotel cost

Estimation cost will be 550-$600.00

Mind you Evo is by far the best event of the year but it's also most expensive

A slightly better option in May 21-24 Chicago, IL attend combo-breaker

283 miles each way hence 50-70$ gas split among a friend or more plus a kick ass event near you

When you attend event factor in hotel cost, travel, food while there, etc
Hope this helps
If you live in Michigan I suggest combo breaker or toryuken if you have a passport.
Combo Breaker seems to be right in my price range for my first tournament and just at the perfect date.
Also it's close enough to Michigan to make me feel comfortable about going.Thanks guys for the help!:D

Last edited:

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Combo Breaker seems to be right in my price range for my first tournament and just at the perfect date.
Also it's close enough to Michigan to make me feel comfortable about going.Thanks guy for the help!:D
If you do make it out to Combo Breaker, I'll see you there. :)

Maybe some Nightwing vs. Batman? (if you're still playing Injustice after MKX's release)

macro

Eezeepeezee
First and foremost, consider any money that you put into getting to the event as gone. This isnt a means to get rich, especially not fighting games, if you wanted to make money playing video games, pick up league of legends and hope that youre better than like 50 bajillion people. These events are about getting out here, competing and having fun.

Take advantage that you want to get into the NRS community, which I find much more welcoming than the capcom community that just calls new comers "09ers" and shits on your for being bad without providing any advice about getting better. I'm NOT saying that you WONT find that in the NRS community, or that you will find NOITHING but that in capcom, but thats just from my experience.

Do you have a car? do you know anyone else in your area? before traveling out, try to go to some local events, or even try posting in your regions thread about getting together and having a session somewhere. Get to meet some people and make a connection before you go and trek to a far distance across state lines. Youll save on gas and driving all those hours with others in the car is alot safer than doing it alone (especially for such a young person)

I've never been to EVO so I can't speak about what it's like, but you def want to try to go to some events that are easy to get to. Def reconsider starting this when mkx comes out, and paying a visit to UFGT/combo breaker.

If you want to fly and not deal with going cross country in a car and paying for all that gas, make sure you go somewhere that has public transportation.

You're starting in july, look into flights that go to Philadelphia and keep an eye out for summer Jam, there isnt a date announced just yet, but its usually around the end of august, and should be announced any week now. As long as youre staying in the hotel, you can call them and have them arrange a shuttle to come get you from the airport after you land. If you were old enough to rent a car I would tell you to just pay the money to do that instead, less of a hassle. This shuttle service does exist for other events depending on how close they are to an airport, you wanna call the hotel front desk just to make sure.

Hope to see you somewhere this summer!
This is also alot of help thanks Arma.
I do go to my locals in Michigan, and I hang out with the C.O.R.N guys a little bit.
But I was manlly planing to fly and just book some plan tickets early so it was cheaper.
After I looked up some things about Combo Breaker it really does look like the best place to start.
Later on I do plan on going to Winter Brawl and Summer Jam. So I guess I'll be seeing you guys their.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
If you go to Combo breaker you can have your shot at beating me in the mirror :)

Majors are awesome and hype. Try and watch the finals if you can, theres nothing more exciting than that

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
@macro it all depends on planning. travel is much cheaper when done in advance. Since we both live in MI most majors we go to will be east coast and midwest. You are always welcome to room with me ant any major we attend. I highly recommend a group of friends. rooms and travel are expensive. amtrack, megabus, and greyhound are your go to if you don't like flight.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Also it's close enough to Michigan to make me feel comfortable about going.Thanks guy for the help!:D
You'll love it.
It's always wonderful to witness the beginning stages of addiction.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I'll be honest man, after my D-pad Broke off and hit me in the face, mid match, I have not played Injustice since lol.

Little tid-bit about that, I now have a necklace with a D-pad that I wear all the time.
You paid the fucking Iron Price for that one. Kudos.

Espio

Kokomo
@macro

I'm pretty frugal with my spending so I usually bring snacks from home to save money so I'm not constantly spending money on food at restuarnts, I like to be as economically sound as possible. I will go out to eat for dinner with folks too though.

The two majors I've been to where I stayed for multiple days, I split with people I've talked to a lot on the community, which further reduces the financial burden plus you have people you're cool with to hang with and what not, it's always more fun to travel with people as well. I have carpooled with a friend from Michigan before and split gas expenses @Compbros for Frosty Faustings, which was a one day event.

Flying or driving depends on available finances as well as distance. If the Michigan scene travels together or wants to carpool to events, I wouldn't mind throwing my hat in for that. Like I'd carpool to Toryuken perhaps for example. Whereas for EVO, I'd be flying out cause it's way too far to drive in my opinion.

I just personally fly usually because: I don't like putting miles on my car and always get good deals on Expedia plus I hate long trips so it works out better for me to fly.

Majors are super fun and almost everyone I've had the pleasure of speaking to is really nice, open and friendly, don't be afraid to go up and introduce yourself. It's well worth it.

Always bring more money than you need. Emergencies may happen, you may need extra money for food or might want to go sight seeing, get mementos from your trip and what not so having that extra security allows you to enjoy the event with less to worry about plus other things.

I usually like to carry a first aid kit with me along with an umbrella and other stuff like that. Better to be prepared than not when you travel.

Oh and stay fresh and clean. This is common sense, but you still have people that do not do this lol.

But most importantly, have fun <3.

macro

Eezeepeezee
Thanks alot guys, Because of the people that helped me me out in this thread, I'll be going to Combo Breaker with @gpmoney .
Were planing to split the trip in half money wise, so in the end, I did the math, and I'll have plenty of money for side things like snacks, a T-shirt, and a money match against @STB Shujinkydink .
In all, I feel it's going to be a great time and crazy hype.