What's new

Strategy - Master of Souls Unsafe God Ermac

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
After maining Ermac since 3 days before launch I feel at a good enough level to realize Ermac is not going to be tournament viable and I am picking up a new main. His best starter string f2 1 d2 gets punished by armored moved which quite a few characters can lead into full combo punish and if you use his other string ender the game does not let the opponents input comeout so free option select for them.

Both his low strings b3 4 and b3 2 are both full combo punish. His overhead string f4 3 is also full combo punishable did I mention he cant cancel into anything safe without bar and even then your still -5.

I understand he has his perks as well, like 40% meterless combos and some might say that he's just a high risk high reward but ermac is ALL RISK high reward. In a game that revolves around 50/50 with so many characters with safe vortex why pick the most unsafe one.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
His overhead is unsafe, but it comes out in 12 frames which is a little slower than average normals do, and by 1-2 frames. You don't have to go for the vortex. His b3 is safe, so if you're good at fighters once they block the b3 just end it. He has good damage, good pokes, and a decent option vortex. I understand your dislike for the character, but he's far from unviable. Just have to be on point is all.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
His overhead is unsafe, but it comes out in 12 frames which is a little slower than average normals do, and by 1-2 frames. You don't have to go for the vortex. His b3 is safe, so if you're good at fighters once they block the b3 just end it. He has good damage, good pokes, and a decent option vortex. I understand your dislike for the character, but he's far from unviable. Just have to be on point is all.
You do realize you CANT hit confirm in this game right? You have to commit you cant just wait to see if it hits and then follow up you have to follow up before you even see it hit.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
I have much less play time under my belt, but I generally agree. My feeling is that once people learn to punish teleport it's over.

JLG

Noob
How about confirming into 1,1,2? 1,1,1 is safe, i think, if they block the 1,1.

Overall, I think you're right that Ermac is not so safe. On the other hand, Long Island Joe won that tournament a day ago, using MoS Ermac.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
I placed 3rd in Wednesdays ESL Tournament and top 8 in the first week only losing to Reo both times also I placed 3rd in offline tournament with the best of south FL in attendance like kitana prime noobe gross and big D to bame a few.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
How about confirming into 1,1,2? 1,1,1 is safe, i think, if they block the 1,1.

Overall, I think you're right that Ermac is not so safe. On the other hand, Long Island Joe won that tournament a day ago, using MoS Ermac.
That's string confirming it's very easy to confirm off of that but confirming off of one hit is not possible

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
Maybe online, but I never had problems hit confirming irl. It is definitely hard to hit confirm, but it's not impossible. Just keep practicing. It takes time, my dude.
The mechanics of the game makes it so that canceling a normal into a special must be done immediately after the input of the first normal NOT after the hit after the input. Therefore hit confirming is impossible.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
The mechanics of the game makes it so that canceling a normal into a special must be done immediately after the input of the first normal NOT after the hit after the input. Therefore hit confirming is impossible.
I guess me hit confirming against other players was a dream then. I'm doing it now as I'm typing this post, so I guess I'm still dreaming. Going to go fly from my roof now. Wish me luck.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
Liu kang, cassie, takeda, and sonya to name a few.
Sonya doesn't have a vortex. She doesn't have a move that restands you for a free 50\50 outside of mb throw, but everyone has that. And she's definitely not safe on her mixups their ALL punishable. In fact you can armor through her overhead string for free.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
What other characters have meterless or 1 meter vortexes?
Does Ermac have a true vortex?

Scorpion has a really good pseudo vortex for 36% for no meter but it can be armored out of if you go for the overhead.

Anyway what's the combo? I've been thinking about picking Ermac up.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Learn the game mechanics then talk to me.
Let me ask you something. If you feel that Ermac isn't good and hate the way he plays then why not play someone else? Why post on TYM in the Ermac thread and tell people who enjoy their character that he sucks? What do you accomplish from this? Do I disagree with you entirely? No. The hit confirm window is small, but it's still there. I do know the games mechanics, because it's still linking into each other and the combo count start. Do you play other fighters by any chance, because some other fighters have tight hit confirm windows too. You just have to be on point a majority of the time when you play. If you don't like Ermac then who cares? It's a game. Play someone you like.

Last edited: