What's new

Turtling. FML

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I literally just lost two matches today from players who literally turtled 85% of the match (KsKenny and Napalmrjr or something). How do you guys handle turtlers, with the exception of the obvious, rush in. I don't have the patience to turtle or deal with turtlers, which i now know, is my downfall. It's so frustrating!!! /end vent.

aj1701

Noob
Ya good turtlers are rough for me too. Sometimes you can get a life lead and turtle yourself. If they don't come to you then they lose. I've got no problem running out the clock, it happens anyway got me vs subzero alot.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Chip them to death until they do something dumb, then chew their legs off.

Or if they're reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally sitting on their asses, give 'em a good throw or two, or five, or eight...

I hate turtlers, too. -_- . I'm lucky in that Ermac's B2 & Float leave people with no choice but to make a move, but that doesn't make it less frustrating to run into one. I'd rather get full-on bodied than waited on by a hard-shelled nincompoop.

RunwayMafia

These two really knew what they were doing. It was a Kung Lao and a NightWolf. I was Kitana. Every time I threw a fan, they'd duck. I'd start to inch in and they would attack and then retreat. I mean it was useful shit against me...it wasn't mindless turtling. It literally exposed my lackadaisical way of thinking.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
I played a Scorp who was all about some turtling yesterday, he destroyed me the first match because I wasn't really sure how to deal with it. The next match I used Mileena's poke game for chip which forced him to move, but he had some great reaction time and I lost by a hit -_-

The key is to get them to move or jump. Dash block in and poke, throw, or if you're kitana you can go for a kick~air fan combo since they'll most likely try to counter poke, jump, or uppercut. These kinds of players get overwhelmed when pressured, hence why they retreat and play lame. Keep the pressure on them and don't let them space you out.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
These two really knew what they were doing. It was a Kung Lao and a NightWolf. I was Kitana. Every time I threw a fan, they'd duck. I'd start to inch in and they would attack and then retreat. I mean it was useful shit against me...it wasn't mindless turtling. It literally exposed my lackadaisical way of thinking.
It's what I need to do against Kitana, but I rarely do. I just have no patience against her and it gets me blown up! lol

"Alright, that's her string...crossup! OH FUCKING FANS! "

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Just find a player thats a total turtle and play them all the time, you'll find a way around it. I learned through playing Ketchup a load lol

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
+10 for successfully using the word "Lackadaisical" in a sentence ^_^.

It happens in Ermac mirrors a bunch. The fight just going still while one tries to catch the other off-guard.
It's like playing Russian Roulette with French mentalists.
First one to get the other to misfire a TK or let go of block wins the trade.
Ridiculous.

aj1701

Noob
I played a Scorp who was all about some turtling yesterday, he destroyed me the first match because I wasn't really sure how to deal with it. The next match I used Mileena's poke game for chip which forced him to move, but he had some great reaction time and I lost by a hit -_-
Ya, there's this guy on PSN it sounds like, Sinwatcher or something like that. There was a day that I played a bunch of matches and near the end I had figured out how to get him to make mistakes, but it took a while. Now he only plays like a match or two against me then leaves. :mad:

The key is to get them to move or jump. Dash block in and poke, throw, or if you're kitana you can go for a kick~air fan combo since they'll most likely try to counter poke, jump, or uppercut. These kinds of players get overwhelmed when pressured, hence why they retreat and play lame. Keep the pressure on them and don't let them space you out.

How is turtling playing lame?
It's very smart, and a good player will combine rushdown, zoning, and turtling all into one.
Turtling is so good because it forces the other player to come in, and sometimes, they get desperate and let their guard down.

Calling that play style lame is a wrong statement.

aj1701

Noob
How is turtling playing lame?
It's very smart, and a good player will combine rushdown, zoning, and turtling all into one.
Turtling is so good because it forces the other player to come in, and sometimes, they get desperate and let their guard down.

Calling that play style lame is a wrong statement.
What? Who said it was lame? I just skimmed this whole thread and I didn't see anyone saying that.

We're all saying its frustrating, but that's because we lack good ways to deal with it... which is the point of this thread, to ask for advice to deal with it better.

EDIT: I read the post you quoted, I must not have looked at it closely enough. There are people that mindlessly turtle though, but they are easy to blow up. I found one like that tonight. He never learned about duck blocking overheads and throws.

Walking backward is the most dangerous move in the game. I'm 100% serious.
Lol, I know. Since I've started recording my matches, I've noticed alot of the people that give me problems just take a few steps back when I approach. I actually have tried to incorporate moving away into my play style. When I remember, it seems to be pretty successful.

What you can do is dash block (example subzero), they will tend to do an ice clone, but you should expect it, and fool them, and do an iaf, which will hit sub during his animation, sometimes in mid-air, letting you combo.
dash block in, then block walk back, play their game too.
they want you to move in and make the first move, or jump in.
fool them,

GNG Iniquity

I certainly need to learn to be more patient. I play like a predictable idiot. High level players just eat me alive.

HangNail

TrevarThePastor
When are mindlessly turtling hit them with some things that go through their blocking, like an overhead or sweep. then they will just scramble or eat the damage. now if they are zoning you out and being smart , block dash alot. and throws never hurt :)

RunwayMafia

It's seriously my downfall...it's the New York in me that has no time for bull shit and I feel like I'm about to miss my cab when people STRATEGICALLY turtle against me. I've really been working on just slowing down, take a minute, and I have to remember to incorporate cheap tactics. I'm a Sindel player and I actually hold back on my zoning...

I certainly need to learn to be more patient. I play like a predictable idiot. High level players just eat me alive.
I turtle when it's time to turtle but some of my opponents do the same. Unfortunatly, this often leads to too much turtling because, for tactical reasons, it's time to turtle, so the time will run out. So, I'll usually get impatient by round 2 and enter the forbidden zone and then lose, since all of round 1 was just a bunch of maneuvering, baiting, teleporting and projectile throwing. zzzzzzzz

GNG Iniquity

I turtle when it's time to turtle but some of my opponents do the same. Unfortunatly, this often leads to too much turtling because, for tactical reasons, it's time to turtle so the time will run out. So, I'll usually get impatient by round 2 and enter the forbidden zone and then lose, since all of round 1 was just a bunch of maneuvering, baiting, teleporting and projectile throwing. zzzzzzz
When I'm playing Scorp, it's not so bad because I'll just hellfire them a few times and they'll stop that shit, but with other characters...oh god, it's unbearable.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I find the best thing for turtlers is if you can get in, keep the pressure on and randomly put in a throw or do low pokes and overheads to mess them. The most annoying ones are ones with moves that put you all the way fullscreen again, ugg ermac turtlers, block block block, force push oh great now I have to get here again. Kenshi is just as annoying too.

When I'm playing Scorp, it's not so bad because I'll just hellfire them a few times and they'll stop that shit, but with other characters...oh god, it's unbearable.
Using hellfire against certain fighters isnt all that effective cause you can leave yourself vulnerable for whatever they can counter it with.

GNG Iniquity

Using hellfire against certain fighters isnt all that effective cause you can leave yourself vulnerable for whatever they can counter it with.
It's true, totally character specific, I rarely use it outside of the EX to get some additional damage after a knockdown if I really need it.

It's true, totally character specific, I rarely use it outside of the EX to get some additional damage after a knockdown if I really need it.
My point is Ill get into a stalemate and then into a coma and then lose. Any high level player knows to back up sometimes while fighting to go for some AA but what happens when both players are doing the same thing? You get a stalemate and boring fight.