What's new

Question Throwing then (90's) and now!

Hi, I know throwing is not considered cheap anymore and people throw all the time now in fighting games. My question is, when did throwing not become cheap? I used to live in the arcades back in the 90's and everywhere I went throwing was a big, huge, no-no. If you accidentally threw someone you'd let him throw you back, anyone old enough to remember this? I came back to gaming and I find that its ok to throw now, when did this change? Thoughts?

I used to live in the arcades back in the 90's and everywhere I went throwing was a big, huge, no-no. If you accidentally threw someone you'd let him throw you back, anyone old enough to remember this?
Don't remember this at all.

Played Soul Blade all the time and would throw pretty much non stop.

I do remember people getting angry about it, definitely no "let u get me back" though.

Throws are for winners.

Tech-ing is for losers who can't throw fast enough :DOGE

What? I played art of fighting 1 and 2 in arcades and it was all about grabs, same with kof94
Honestly I didn't play any of those games, I played all the mortal kombat's and street fighters and everywhere I weny throwing was considered cheap. But again I'm old school so you're maybe talking more recently.

Don't remember this at all.

Played Soul Blade all the time and would throw pretty much non stop.

I do remember people getting angry about it, definitely no "let u get me back" though.

Throws are for winners.

Tech-ing is for losers who can't throw fast enough :DOGE
Yea throwing is in the game so it's allowed, although I did see too many players getting their ass handed to them so they immediately started throwing, guess frustration got the better of them.

marietta1200

Best Coast
Honestly I didn't play any of those games, I played all the mortal kombat's and street fighters and everywhere I weny throwing was considered cheap. But again I'm old school so you're maybe talking more recently.
Naw man you're right. I was a little kid playing in arcades in the late 80s and early 90s. SF and SF2 players used to call it a "jab throw" and it was a total no-no. Playing with unlimited jab throws was like jungle ball with your friends. I phased into consoles after the Genesis so I'm not sure about the OP question... hilarious to imagine people demanding you stop throwing them these days.

Yea throwing is in the game so it's allowed, although I did see too many players getting their ass handed to them so they immediately started throwing, guess frustration got the better of them.
I never used throws out of frustration, or exclusively once my opponent gained an edge on me. That kinda implies I had any sort of self-imposed rule/resistance against using throws in the first place. But nope, I would throw alot because it worked and they couldn't deal with it.

well i guess zangief would have a bad time against you back in the days :DOGE
Lol, zangief was the only one allowed to jab-throw because he was slow and didn't have a projectile and actually yes, ANY zangief player had a hard time against mostly any good player because the games were really unbalanced. I did however played a couple of zangief players who had enough skill to compete with the ryu's,ken's,sagat's and guiles back then.

Naw man you're right. I was a little kid playing in arcades in the late 80s and early 90s. SF and SF2 players used to call it a "jab throw" and it was a total no-no. Playing with unlimited jab throws was like jungle ball with your friends. I phased into consoles after the Genesis so I'm not sure about the OP question... hilarious to imagine people demanding you stop throwing them these days.
Yea, I remember those jab throws, but honestly you could reverse them sometimes. Now it's allowed and well everyone can throw so I guess it's not too bad.

I never used throws out of frustration, or exclusively once my opponent gained an edge on me. That kinda implies I had any sort of self-imposed rule/resistance against using throws in the first place. But nope, I would throw alot because it worked and they couldn't deal with it.
Yea, back then we did, everyone I remember had that set rule. But yea if you can't deal with them then you better start learning how.

At first the existence of this thread confused me a lot until I remembered that the ability to escape throws didn't become standard until the mid 90s!

Honestly though, the only time I've ever taken the 'no throws' rule even 1% seriously was when playing Tekken 6 online, given that teching throws in that game is reaction-based rather than read-based... and online lag messes with that shit like nobody's business, meaning that people would get thrown in circumstances where offline they 100% would have escaped it.

At first the existence of this thread confused me a lot until I remembered that the ability to escape throws didn't become standard until the mid 90s!

Honestly though, the only time I've ever taken the 'no throws' rule even 1% seriously was when playing Tekken 6 online, given that teching throws in that game is reaction-based rather than read-based... and online lag messes with that shit like nobody's business, meaning that people would get thrown in circumstances where offline they 100% would have escaped it.
Yea there was no tech escapes till what SF 4? Sorry can't recall. Even in umk3 they had the "throwing disabled" option before the match started, we ALL pressed low punch on the menu screen so throwing would be disabled. I understand that anyone can throw back, but not anyone can beat players by using skill,reads,combos, instead of just being close to the other guy and press low punch lol.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Throws were pretty cheap in SF2. You couldn't tech them and they did massive damage. The only way around them was to DP or counter throw. Some characters had better throw ranges and some didn't have good reversals, so it was pretty unfair and unbalanced.

Throws were pretty cheap in SF2. You couldn't tech them and they did massive damage. The only way around them was to DP or counter throw. Some characters had better throw ranges and some didn't have good reversals, so it was pretty unfair and unbalanced.
Exactly!

Vaiist

Noob
I think the difference is the level of play. Before the internet was around the highest level of skill you could be exposed to was whoever the best kid was who lived in the immediate area. Now that we have tournament streams, youtube guides, and forums to discuss every aspect of the game, it's harder to demand that the game be played with whatever level of arbitrary "fairness" you believe in.

When I was a kid and was unable to wrap my head around the deeper levels of fighting games, I would get upset about things being cheap too. There are still casual players that act like this and they'll let you know by getting on the mic or sending you hatemail. However, if you choose to involve yourself in the community and hang out in places like these, it's pretty silly not be utilizing everything the game has to offer.

I think the difference is the level of play. Before the internet was around the highest level of skill you could be exposed to was whoever the best kid was who lived in the immediate area. Now that we have tournament streams, youtube guides, and forums to discuss every aspect of the game, it's harder to demand that the game be played with whatever level of arbitrary "fairness" you believe in.

When I was a kid and was unable to wrap my head around the deeper levels of fighting games, I would get upset about things being cheap too. There are still casual players that act like this and they'll let you know by getting on the mic or sending you hatemail. However, if you choose to involve yourself in the community and hang out in places like these, it's pretty silly not be utilizing everything the game has to offer.
Of course, games have evolved, level of play is not only higher because of online, it's higher because you have countless hours of offline practicing as well. Everything's more balanced now, throws can be reversed or even punished I guess. I too throw when I play now because it's not cheap anymore, like you say I'd be silly not to use something that will help me win. Those "casual" players you talk about DONT know how to lose, I used to get beat by players who cheaped by throwing back in the day when that's the only thing they had a chance with but never told them a single word, I'm nobody to tell anyone how to play, just remembering how things have changed. Everything's more balanced now which is awesome.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
So, throws were untechable in the 90s like a command throw or something totally different?
Definitely not techable in SF2, Champions Edition and Hyper Fighting. In Super, I believe you could soften the throw to lessen the damage and land on your feet. Definitely soften in Super Turbo.

I can't remember other games like Art of Fighting though...

So, throws were untechable in the 90s like a command throw or something totally different?
Yes they were untechable for the most part, and the difference between a jab-throw and a command grab I guess would be that everyone could jab-throw but few could reverse or get out of it. So you'd have characters who were too tier and OP plus they had good reversals against characters who had none of that. For example Bison could foot sweep you once then be crouching down in front of you before you could get up and start jabbing, if you blocked he'd just throw you from that same position, if you didn't block you'd get hit AND then you'd get thrown. I don't care how you see this, this was cheap man Lol.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Hi, I know throwing is not considered cheap anymore and people throw all the time now in fighting games. My question is, when did throwing not become cheap? I used to live in the arcades back in the 90's and everywhere I went throwing was a big, huge, no-no. If you accidentally threw someone you'd let him throw you back, anyone old enough to remember this? I came back to gaming and I find that its ok to throw now, when did this change? Thoughts?
this is not directed towards you but some i have played in the past, i plyed mk since the arcade. Throwing has never been nor will be cheap.

There is many options for throws, Backdash, Tech, Meter, D4, Duck.
the options are definitely there.

even back in the day, it was just an excuse to not lab things up...

it fits my definition of a scrub. a player that calls a universal move, cheap, or the term broken, spaming. instead of finding how to counter the move or avoid it. they just slap a label on it to make themselfs feel better.

"the it was out of my control, its just to broken or cheap mentality" iustead of "what can i do to make myself not get in that situation"

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I had someone get mad at me for throwing him in an arcade once. He even pushed me over it. I just laughed about it, but jeez. He wasn't very big either, but he was serious. I've never looked at games that way. If I can throw you, I'm gonna. If I couldn't deal with something, it wasn't cheap. I just wasn't good enough.