What's new

The Tarkat disease and the most vile conspiracy

Pizza

Thrill Kill
After watching the most recent trailer MANY times I started wondering about the Tarkat disease.

I believe it's the result of someone weaponizing Nitara's blood.

Hello, my name is Sherlock Kahn and I'm here to get to the bottom of this. I need your help to solve this case before it's too late.

First, I think different ideas of vampirism have been influential in the depiction of the Tarkat disease. Take a look at these vampire designs:

In some vampire media there's also the case where people infected by a vampire turn feral and do not act like sophisticated vampires but instead like bloodthirsty creatures that the only thing they want is to feed on the blood of others.

The Nosferatu clan from Vampire The Masquerade suffers from a terrible curse where not only they become vampires, they're also horrifically deformed and are casted away from the rest of the vampire society. Just not too much though because they're valued for some of their skills, but other vampires certainly loat them.

Now, let's dive into MK.

Nitara comes from a Realm of vampires basically. This Realm has been absorbed by Outworld a long time ago, so she's probably one of the last survivors. Since she's all about vampires and we have seen depictions of her blood being harmful to her opponents, I can imagine that at some point her blood can also infect other beings.

The thing is that because she's from another Realm, her blood probably has strong effects on beings from Outworld. It's like getting infected with something you don't have any antibodies at all. If her blood has been manipulated to enhance its effects, then the result would be something like the Tarkatan.

We can be sure Nitara's blood is being used as a weapon. Outworld soldiers are clearly involved in this.

There's more...

In the scenes where Mileena is shown turning, her fangs are the ones changing the most BEFORE the disease apparently goes haywire and starts mutating even further. Probably because in a genetic code similar to Nitara, the infected would probably just become a "vampire". However, Outworlders different genetics and the possibily of Nitara's blood having been manipulated make the mutation way more drastic.

But why does her mouth become like this:

What does this mean? Is this actually closer to Nitara?

We haven't seen Nitara yet, but this is making me feel very intrigued about her design.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
With all that said we need to answer some questions.

1. Who manufactured the Tarkat plague?

2. What's the purpose of the Tarkat disease?

3. Who conspired to infect Mileena?

4. Who actually poisoned Mileena?

Let's look at the suspects.

REIKO

The Outworld military officer who seems loyal enough to General Shao to help him carry a coup.
We have seen his soldiers handling the diseased and carrying medical needles. However, how could have Reiko poisoned Mileena? Does he have direct access to her? Is it worthy to him to take such a risk?

RAIN

The mage who has impressed General Shao and Empress Sindel so much that he has earned their favour.
We see he has risen to the ranks enough to be allowed to be sitting at the table next to Mileena.
Given that he has earned the royal family's trust, he wouldn't have many obstacles in order to get close and poison Mileena.

TANYA

Leader of the royal guard, basically a bodyguard to Mileena. They're having a secret affair, in fact.
But what if she unknowingly poisoned Mileena because of someone else's actions? Who would be skilled enough to poison Mileena without alerting Tanya at all? Unless Tanya was in, or deceived...

LI MEI

The former head of the royal guard. Under her watch, Jerrod himself was murdered. She may not have infected Mileena herself, but she could at least provide a security breach since she knows too much about the Umgadi, the royal family and their routines.
Is the First Constable a conspirator?

SHANG TSUNG

The Great Influencer. He could be involved in this, but how would he be able to poison Mileena? By shapeshifting into someone she trusts?
At the same time, I can't imagine Shang Tsung just hanging around Outworld when he's being hunted by Liu Kang across time itself. I believe Shang Tsung is working in the shadows without being directly involved.

Other potential suspects:
-Reptile: A known servant of Shang Tsung. Stealth is one of his greatest skills. Could he be good enough to fool the Umgadi and poison Mileena without anyone noticing?
-Khameleon: Stealthy and current member of the Umgadi, which means she has access to the royal family. She may as well have Tanya's trust. Nobody would suspect her, she is too unremarkable. The perfect individual for this job?
-Nitara: If her blood is being weaponized, is she willingly taking part in the conspiracy or not? Little hints may indicate that she at least is working with the Outworld army.
-General Shao?
-Sindel?

Theorizing about General Shao and Sindel...

-General Shao is surely interested in taking the throne. But is he willing to poison Mileena? What is their relationship in this timeline? I'm more inclined to believe that General Shao isn't aware of things that probably Shang Tsung and Reiko (and other conspirators) are doing. They might've poisoned Mileena without telling him.

-It is said that many people believe Kitana would be a better Empress than Mileena. What if Sindel believes this too? What if this is her plan to force Kitana to take the throne? She could be employing people like Rain and Reiko to do this.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
wow , amazing job dude ! you bring some very intersting theory and very good and plausible points ! Well done, Pizza !

IMO, Shang Tsung just morphed into Reiko, and gave order to the soldiers, to extract Baraka blood and genetic material, and so, he make somehow some dirty move and poisoned and infected Mileena , in order to bring chaos , confusion with the Outworld throne and rules

Sure, for his own advantage and personal affairs, so .... Shang is the fucking treacherous "snake" , the evil mastermind behind this issue

Could be that Nitara is involved, but, is possible that this disease is something isolated that Shang developed working in the Flesh Pits, using another source material ..... the Tarkatans are more like cannibals and savage monsters, not properly "vampires" , they did not focus on sucking blood, but, more like, ripping to shreds their victims and eating them

Anyway, this Tarkat Disease is a very interesting and curious plot that we will love to find out each detail once the game come out, cannot wait !

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think it’s possible Shang Tsung either planted the idea in Shao’s head, or created the disease to weaponize it. He’s known for his experiments, so I wouldn’t be surprised. Would make sense too, offer Shao a means to take the throne so that Shang can have a powerful ally.

Good stuff with this thread, super interesting.

Kratilim

Noob
I heard ketchup say baraka has some kano like visual traits and that it would be kind of crazy if baraka is actually tarkat infected kano this time around.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You might be on to something OP. I think there's a strong possibility it's some form of mutated vampirism that went wrong. My guess is that they are using Baraka's blood (they are retrieving from him not injecting him) in attempt to find a cure for Mileena, but it doesn't work at curing, only leaves her "half way" into the Mileena we know. The rest are fully evolved like Baraka. Shao Khan finds out and stages a coup.

As for "who" did it, I think either Shang Tsung influenced. It's the easy answer, but likely the right one, to cause the events of the story to play out.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Awesome post, as others have said!

Here is my piecing of the puzzle:

Assuming that Tarkat is indeed a weaponized strain of Vampirism, my guess is that Shang somehow got a sample from Nitara (she is not a willing part of the conspiracy) - perhaps Smoke is attacked by her, like we have seen teased in that trailer, a fang/claw/blood sample was left in the battleground and was collected by an intrigued Sub-Zero. Sub then is contacted by Shang, who takes interest in the sample to run some experiments, unbeknownst to him. This ties both the Sub-zero vs Liu Kang pre-fight dialogue ("I wasn't aware of Shang Tsung's experiments!") and the "some screenching from above attacks Smoke".

Making a test sample, Shang approaches General Shao and advises him to use it on some (perhaps dissident?) civilian "so you can see for yourself the destructive capabilities of this new weapon" or something like that. Thus patient zero is born. The experiment is a success, and Shang uses this to convince Shao to make a coup against MIleena by secretly having someone infect her with Tarkat - throne is going to be vacant, the Royal family will be in disarray and he can take Outworld for himself. Rain is Shao's inside man and has him poison Mileena somehow.

Meanwhile, Kitana, Kenshi and Tanya are secretly trying to find a cure contacting Liu Kang and Baraka.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
dam tarkat plague
tekunin (probably next mk)
zaterran yet to be introduced
onis , lucifer , bellock ,
half animal beings

NOW NRS has the best opportunity to make this HUGE and EPIC something like WarHammer Fantasy/40K

i want chaos ninjas
chaos demons
Plagued Kytheen

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Havik's behind it all.

Remember in MK11 Aftermath when Fujin, Nightwolf and Shang Tsung fight Geras, and Shang Tsung opens a portal and they all throw him into it?

"Where did you send him?"

"Chaosrealm. Havik will keep him entertained."

In Liu Kang's new reality, he did not take into account that Geras is an unkillable golem that retains all memories of previous timelines. The new Havik learns of the previous timelines from Geras, and as a cleric of chaos, decides to cause as much chaos in Liu Kang's new peaceful reality. The Tarkat plague? General Shao's rebellion? Mileena's infection?

Palpatine Havik's behind it all.

Well, I have another question.

Why is Kenshi, of all the options, the one who is with Mileena while she's in chains? I mean, Kenshi is from earthrealm, why is he with the princess while she's urdergoing transformation? Where's Kitana?

I doubt it was Tanya, this time they're going all in with the lgbt romance between her and Mileena; and Tanya for sure will do anything for Mileena to became queen. Could be that she tried to poison Kitana and Mileena was the victim by mistake, but... IDK.

Probably was Agatha all along.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
them this is becoming a sope opra. lets go all in telltale style with different choices. General Shao will remember this :)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
them this is becoming a sope opra. lets go all in telltale style with different choices. General Shao will remember this :)
This is the good soap opera though lol. Of all the changes for the new timeline this is one of the best and exciting to see play out.