What's new

Match-up Discussion The Sheeva Survival Guide

Hello fellow Sheevlings. It's a brutal MK world out there but if we stick together and learn from each other we might be able to pull out some MK tournament wins! So here some of the things I learned over the year and a half as a Sheeva main to help start the discussion.

Match ups are alphabetical and current as of 12/11/2012. The first number is Sheeva, second number is opponent.

Baraka 4-6. This one is not too bad. Can keep up with his zoning and our armor helps up close. Be wary of telestomp against him because his spin beats it clean.

Cyber Sub 4-6. Cyber controls the pace of this match with his dive kicks which Sheeva has an extremely hard time punishing. Plus he wins on projectile trades and looks cooler... but we have the better looking stomach.

Cyrax 3-7. Projectile trades our out due to the net. Armor is out because you want your meter for breaker. Jump ins our out to due his amazing anti-air hop. Toe to toe battles are out because his normals are better than yours. The key here is telestomp for 11%. All you have to do is guess right 10 times and you win! Just don't guess wrong twice or you lose...

Ermac 5-5. Yes! If you are an mk tournament traveling Sheeva main THIS is the fight you want. 5-5 means a winning MU because if you outplay your opponent you win. Simple as that. Big D's turn into Big Frees if you are Sheeva. We win on projectile trades, our normals can keep up with Ermac, we have armor, and we can get in with Telestomp.

Freddy 2-8. This MU is a nightmare... stance. This is toward the hard end of a two eight. Freddy option selects your way in with telestomp by doing nightmare stance. So you have to get in the old fashioned way. Unfortunately he outzones you and once you are in he can get away with ease. This is bad.

Jade 5-5. Just guessing a 5-5 here. Have no clue.

Jax 3-7. Just a typical 3-7. He just beats you in every way and once you are in the corner its over. If you think you are EX telestomping behind him to get out think again. He can just anti air grab you and throw you right back in. This MU makes me dream of a world of equality. Think back long ago. Go way back. Remember that happy time around September of 2011? Back when this new and exciting MK patch was coming out? Sheeva was going to get ground pound cancels! We were going to be viable! We were going to keep the opponent on their toes! We were going to fake ground pound and then anti-air grab their jump, or throw a fireball, or telestomp. We were going to have options! But they gave it to Jax instead. The world is unfair my friends.

Johnny Cage 2-8. Yes the day has come. This MU is now a 2-8. Your armor is the only thing going for you in this Match but his d4's beat your high armor and if the Johnny reads you are going to do armor he can f3 into ex nutpunch. You lose your meter and you are back in the frame trap. Good thing you can keep Johnny out with a very slow fireball or this MU would be worse!

Kabal 3-7. This one is just a soft 3-7 and that means it is practically a 4-6! Yes Sheevites this is one of the fights that could be in our advantage. Let me explain. Kabal 3-7's a lot of the MK cast so we are right there with them! So since we are even with a lot of the cast our gimmicks and the Kabal's lack of MU knowledge are in our favor.

Kano 4-6. Slight advantage Kano. He outzones us and up ball options into a knife if we telestomp. Got to beat him with armor and normals.

Kenshi 3-7. Sadly this will eventually be a 3-7. For all you guys that thought I was crazy having this at a 5-5 you were right. The good news for us though is that not one person in the community plays this MU right. Meaning since Kenshi's play this MU wrong it is closer to a 5-5. A Sheeva with a pool filled with Ermacs and Kenshi's is a very happy Sheeva indeed!

Kitana 2-8. Brutal. Faster normals that reach way farther than you and do over twice as much damage. Your armor whiffs half the time on her small body, she option selects your telestomp for either 30% damage or 8% damage, your choice, and you have to get in past her zoning just to be at a disadvantage up close! Plus she can brutalize your non-armor wakeup moves for 47% damage. Not to mention our shabby 30% bread and butter combo gets knocked down to an even worse 25% against her small body. Meaning we have to guess right 4 times to her guessing right twice. The good news is if you are right twice as much as your opponent you can bring this MU up to a 4-6!

Kung Lao 2-8 or a 3-7. This one could be on its way up to a winnable 3-7 MU. Sure he outzones us, absolutely destroys us up close and does more damage than us. Oh he also has an option select against telestomp that few know about but we won't tell them about that. But we do have anti-air grab to beat his teleport... so that's at least something I guess.

Liu Kang 4-6. Haven't played this MU in awhile but it's just the typical he is better than us kind of thing. No big deal.

Mileena 3-7. This one is upgraded my friends. This used to be a hard 3-7, now it's just a soft 3-7. Sure she beats us in every possible way at every part of the screen but its not that bad... Really. We can punish roll hard so it feels good to see good damage every once in awhile.

Nightwolf 5-5. Dunno too much about this MU. Much like soonk it could go either way. I just don't know which way yet.

Noob 3-7 or 4-6. Noob absolutely destroys us tools wise. Forget projectiles, forget telestomp, forget groundpound and forget armored grab 'n punch. Noob was designed to destroy Sheeva but we have slightly more damage so that's something.

Quan Chi 5-5. Again guessing on this one. Don't know.

Raiden 4-6. I actually think this one is just a regular 4-6. You have to outplay the Raiden and you will probably win. Ground pound beats his teleport clean but you will only get about 2 in because after that Raiden will jump in and full combo you. Makes me wish Sheeva had ground pound cancel, if that were so we would actually have a match where we were in control... kind of.

Rain 4-6. Telestomp is out unless you are landing in front of him, but his ex armor beats landing in front. Our armor does 22% his armor does 40%+. But not so bad.

Reptile 3-7. Another typical 3-7. He wins everywhere on the screen and it's hard to punish his dash with a 12 frame short reach move. Winnable though.

Scorpion 4-6. His vortex is a pain what can we say.

Sektor 3-7. This is a hard 3-7. Sektor not only beats us, but he beats us however he wants. The good news is that after you lose to Sektor you can think about things you could have done differently and realize you still would have lost. So take comfort in that.

Shang T. 4-6. Beware of super Sheeva. This is what Sheeva should be normally. But there are naysayers out there, mainly the Kitana community. They will say a 40% bread and butter combo is too much damage. But why would they complain? That 40% would actually be 33% against them.

Sheeva 5-5. Besides Ermac this is who you want to fight! Your opponent is insanely slow. Has gimmick armor that can be beaten by any ducking attack. She has a 12 frame high attack with short reach and even when it does hit (very rare) it only does 30% which is probably bottom 5 in damage on a bnb combo. She has horrible wakeup options that can all be full combo'd and her fireball is 25 frames startup that is easy to jump over and full combo. You will win this fight.

Sindel 4-6. Typical 4-6 when played to the highest level. However her option select for telestomp is hard to time and once we are in we actually have the advantage.

Skarlet 4-6. Guessing here no clue.

Smoke 3-7. Not too bad of a 3-7. You can use telestomp. If he starts teleporting, then land behind him and either a sweep or a d4 will come out instead. Full combo punish strings that end in smoke bomb for 30% by walking backwards. After that just outplay him and make better reads and you've got this.

Sonya 2-8. This is bad. Anything you want to do... don't.

Stryker 5-5. Guessing here.

Sub-Zero. 4-6. Be very careful here. It says 4-6 but the Sub-Zero community is the absolute best at NJP'ing the telestomp. Tom Brady, Cyrusstrike, Semi-Evil Ryu etc... When they are on point it is a 3-7. Pro tip: Telestomp out of the corner by landing behind the opponent. But don't do it when you are in the corner, do it earlier so they aren't ready for it, or else they just EX slide you back into the corner.

Here is the list of the Sheeva Dream pool. When you travel to a tournament as a Sheeva main here are the people you want in your pool (see above post).

Ermac, Jade, Kabal, Kenshi and Sheeva. Good Luck!

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I would think Kabal is way worse, I seriously think that might Sheevas worse matchup. He zones her out and all her telestomps can just get EX Nomad dashed. And let's not even talk about 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC lol

ForeverKing

What do you do about 2~ndc?

Edit: Oops FOREVER KING mentioned it before my page refreshed :)
2~NDC is a block infinite, as long as you are blocking it can be done on you until death. You can neutral crouch 2~NDC and try to poke out, but you cannot neutral crouch b121. A Kabal player could just mix-up 2~NDC and b1~NDC and if you guess right you get a d1 on Kabal, if you guess wrong b121 launches you for 37% and resets with f4~NDC, putting your right back into the 2~NDC pressure. It's gay as hell lol

For example Kabal could just 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC b1~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC b1~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC etc.

And your just stuck on block that whole time guessing if he is going to 2~NDC or b1~NDC

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
2~NDC is a block infinite, as long as you are blocking it can be done on you until death. You can neutral crouch 2~NDC and try to poke out, but you cannot neutral crouch b121. A Kabal player could just mix-up 2~NDC and b1~NDC and if you guess right you get a d1 on Kabal, if you guess wrong b121 launches you for 37% and resets with f4~NDC, putting your right back into the 2~NDC pressure. It's gay as hell lol

For example Kabal could just 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC b1~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC b1~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC etc.

And your just stuck on block that whole time guessing if he is going to 2~NDC or b1~NDC
Heh, I know; I was more asking "how can this possibly be a 3-7 when Kabal can 2~ndc all day?". Nice writeup, though :)

Heh, I know; I was more asking "how can this possibly be a 3-7 when Kabal can 2~ndc all day?". Nice writeup, though :)
Ok. The Sheeva army is ready for this 2 ndc much like the Kenshi army of 2 is ready for it. Whatever Kenshi can do so can Sheeva. You can either hold down and wait for the Kabal to mess up. Or just take the hit. Taking the hit he is only +25 on cancelling a 2 with a hit. No more infinite, and if he does 1 more 2 you can uppercut that and get a toasty boost.

Check this scenario out as it could easily happen. Reo vs. Me in the Grand Finals of MLG. I'm up 2-0 in the set. He gets me in the 2 infinite. Things are looking bad. I take the hit when he is not ready for it, I then uppercut him because it's a high and then get the toasty boost and finish the round.

Ok. The Sheeva army is ready for this 2 ndc much like the Kenshi army of 2 is ready for it. Whatever Kenshi can do so can Sheeva. You can either hold down and wait for the Kabal to mess up. Or just take the hit. Taking the hit he is only +25 on cancelling a 2 with a hit. No more infinite, and if he does 1 more 2 you can uppercut that and get a toasty boost.

Check this scenario out as it could easily happen. Reo vs. Me in the Grand Finals of MLG. I'm up 2-0 in the set. He gets me in the 2 infinite. Things are looking bad. I take the hit when he is not ready for it, I then uppercut him because it's a high and then get the toasty boost and finish the round.
the difference between taking the hit and block is only -1 cancel advantage. is that one frame really that significant? the 2 will still come out in 4 frames instead of 3 (if my math is right). you're really telling me that between the 3rd and 4th frame sheeva's uppercut drops her hitbox for the full duration of kabal's 2 and hits him before raising the hitbox? i really doubt it, but i really like your optimism.

the difference between taking the hit and block is only -1 cancel advantage. is that one frame really that significant?
Yes it does. The standing 2 on block is a just frame infinite. Taking one frame away allows you to duck. And if the Kabal proceeds with another high attack you can punish with uppercut, d1,d3, or d4, or armor, or x-ray.

Yes it does. The standing 2 on block is a just frame infinite. Taking one frame away allows you to duck. And if the Kabal proceeds with another high attack you can punish with uppercut, d1,d3, or d4, or armor, or x-ray.
dayum. fair enough.
lol sheeva's xray. (somehow it hits me every time T_T)

ForeverKing

I don't understand this. Are you trolling or is this legit? lol

ForeverKing

I don't understand this. Are you trolling or is this legit? lol

ForeverKing

It is a legit way to deal with something that should have never made it in the game in the first place. This game needs 1 more patch so bad. But I am probably leaning towards Kabal being a hard 3-7 instead of a soft 3-7 with your input.
I would have thought that cancellation would be even more on hit than on block. Shows what I know about frame advantage :p

I would have thought that cancellation would be even more on hit than on block. Shows what I know about frame advantage :p
Yeah cancel advantage on block for Kabal standing 2 is +26. Cancel advantage on hit for Kabal standing 2 is +25. The one on hit is 1 frame short of being an infinite so you can duck after taking the hit. Still bad though, if the Kabal chooses 2,1, ndc then you eat a full combo. But then that means he won't be throwing out 2's all day. And then he will be back to worrying about your 22% armor.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
what do u mean kitana option selects her teleport? what option select do u speak of?

what do u mean kitana option selects her teleport? what option select do u speak of?
If I telestomp do air fan. If I land in front of Kitana fan hits and do an air combo afterwards. If I land on top, Kitana's air fan pushes her backwards so the fan still hits and do a full air combo. If I land behind air fan turns into squarewave.