What's new

The sad state of UMK3, and the re-emergence of MK2

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
2 words. Soft ban. Make everyone self-accountable and if they abuse the glitch/kara a jabbing to win, we just ridicule them as a community until people start playing the game the way it was MEANT to be played.
We can even take it to the next level and judge by accidental force of habit or when people are purposely doing that shit cuz they simply can't beat their opponent by any other method.

When all else fails, resort to cheating, right?

oh phil, so my idea to put mk4 at gamers edge is sounding better to you huh.
Good to see you Frank!!! Where u been, Buddy!???!!

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
I used to play MK II religiously on the original PS3 port so iv no problem getting back into it... just gotta get away from MKI on MKAK (the only way I kan ever play it). I loved MK4/ If it starts getting streamed it will give me reason to play it again. Reiko it up! Only got the PS1 port though so I kan't really komment on whether to use the N64 port or DCs MKG. :/

All the best,
RAZER

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
i have MK4 on PS1 but i dont have a system to try it on
The PS1 version was a pretty lazy port from what I've heard, but if you wanna try it for yourself, you do know PS1 games work on all PS3s right?

MK1 via ded

1. Sonya
2. Cage (almost untouchable)
3. Scorpion (or 4)
4. Liu Kang (or 3)
5. Sub-Zero
6. Kano (bad luck stopping glitch jabs, duck game lose against them)
7. Raiden
Interesting, I know below Sonya and Cage the tier list was always up in the air for MK1 but I thought Scorpion was the worst by a landslide..

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
Is it really that much better? All I've ever seen of MKII is Mileena, Jax, and Liu standing full screen and--for lack of better term--spamming projectiles until someone screws up and takes a hit.
its like mk9 , spamming projectiles :)

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
its like mk9 , spamming projectiles :)
Yeah. There's really no difference. Hell, it's even in MK1. It's ALWAYS been in MK, certainly a lot less common in UMK3 due to the run though.

That's why I had hoped that projectiles would trade in MK9.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
The PS1 version was a pretty lazy port from what I've heard, but if you wanna try it for yourself, you do know PS1 games work on all PS3s right?

Interesting, I know below Sonya and Cage the tier list was always up in the air for MK1 but I thought Scorpion was the worst by a landslide..
no scorpion is very good in mk1. you can spam that spear and other stuff.. and by just the fact it was the best scorpion spear everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when it hits it actually looks painful they get pushed back then he pulls you in.

im liking all the MK2 love in this thread!!

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
no scorpion is very good in mk1. you can spam that spear and other stuff.. and by just the fact it was the best scorpion spear everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when it hits it actually looks painful they get pushed back then he pulls you in.

im liking all the MK2 love in this thread!!
Then why didn't u stay to play it? :(

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I think Killer Instinct would have been hype to watch on stream.

MK2 is definitely better to watch than UMK3 at this point, but it's also very limiting and slow. I think it can get boring faster than the 3d games. There is no real inside game at all. A lot of times an MK2 match turns into a waiting/baiting game and since it's so slow you can react to just about anything. It's a good solid game with no real cheezy tactics or gamebreaking bugs, but it also doesn't get very hype either.

Noob
I think Killer Instinct would have been hype to watch on stream.

MK2 is...a good solid game with no real cheezy tactics or gamebreaking bugs, but it also doesn't get very hype either.
Unfortunately, we ran out of time and could not do KI. I wish we could have but unfortunately, this is what happens when you deal with MAME.

Regarding MK2... man, you missed one hell of a show from Summ0ning at WB... he pulled out some amazing stuff to advance to the loser's final against Billy Awesomo... Summ0ning was on danger, and Awesomo had like 1/2 life... Awesomo was Mileena and Summ0ning was Scorpion... Mileena TP kicks and Scorp aaRH's her out of the air 2 times to win the set!
Un-freakin-believable!

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Unfortunately, we ran out of time and could not do KI. I wish we could have but unfortunately, this is what happens when you deal with MAME.

Regarding MK2... man, you missed one hell of a show from Summ0ning at WB... he pulled out some amazing stuff to advance to the loser's final against Billy Awesomo... Summ0ning was on danger, and Awesomo had like 1/2 life... Awesomo was Mileena and Summ0ning was Scorpion... Mileena TP kicks and Scorp aaRH's her out of the air 2 times to win the set!
Un-freakin-believable!
I have to admit, Summoning was in Beast-mode all weekend Dude.....I actually had fun playing MK2 even though I need to remember why the Run button doesnt work when I press it :( That shit was hype

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
...MK2 is definitely better to watch than UMK3 at this point, but it's also very limiting and slow.... There is no real inside game at all.
MK2 absolutely has an inside, or CQC game to it. Jab pressure exists just like in UMK3, but it's not as difficult to get out of due to the lack of a run button. Sometimes the only way to do damage to an opponent with certain characters is to get in close. Cage, Reptile, Baraka, and Raiden really need to get in up close against the opposition to be at their best since the projectiles are slow and/or easy to avoid. Raiden's CQC game is ridiculous when you throw in the shock grab.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Yeah I could understand with the setup time and everything. I hope you keep trying to stream it anyway!

Un-freakin-believable!
I didn't catch that one! That sounds pretty hype and I'm sure that it was! I'm not gonna say that there are no hype moments in MK2, because there are. I'm just trying to say the general pace of the game is slower and more deliberate and that I'd almost rather watch one of the 3d games you mentioned. AND I agree that run-jabs are not very entertaining.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Then why didn't u stay to play it? :(
because i foudn out KI wasnt going to be played and i didnt like the MKAK version of mk2. and i was pissy over my shitty play in mk9 lol so i just wanted to go home cause im a big baby and its a 6 hour drive..

Un-freakin-believable!

was wondering if maybe next time i could help run MK2 and KI on saturday night. that way you can pay attention to MK9 and then i could help with the smaller games that way we dont have to worry about running out of time.. so you use your voice to get people to sign up and ill run the brackets on my laptop like i did for MK vs DC that one time..

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
WOW

I swear, most of the time I spent reading this thread, I felt like I was at old shoryuken forums, except for the ignorance. You guys indeed know the game, but...

"the sad state of umk3"? you mean the sad state of most of UMK3 players, right?
I'm happy I'm not there, and watch UMK3 goes to hell 'cause the players won't adapt and whine over a tactic that doesn't ruin the game at all. Is it broken? oh hell yes and that's the fun part because everyone can use it (but they won't). Is that some sort of moral code or something? "I wanna win playing the right way"?

I know most of people at the start say "this is stupid!" some others (like myself, at the beggining) say "pfff I see no advantage in that, who would fall for that?" but when you actually try it, it's hilarious, who doesn't love raping someone with something they don't understand? JAJA

BUT, the real fun starts when EVERYONE starts using it, you can't just do the same shit to a GJabber (but you can against a non GJabber, and that's what makes the game boring to watch). Players start fighting over territory, you don't need "BASIC" spacing knowledge JAJAJAJA you have to master spacing, zoning, baiting, speed, reaction, execution and that takes practice and discipline. I understand if someone doesn't have that much time to put into the game. But hey, at least try it!

And about that MK2 "hype" moment? make no mistake, I'm not dissing/bashing on Summoning, I know he's a fine player (I love his UMK3 kung lao!) but... why in the hell would someone be that over confident to throw some random tele kicks on a NINJA? those RH are golden! I know that and I'm not a good MK2 player... props to Summoning for this timing and his reactions, but that tele kicks were a stupid mistake and THAT doesn't make MK2 better than UMK3.

I guess you guys are gonna go your own way anyways so I won't waste anymore time in this, do what you gotta do, like I said I'm happy here in Colombia the people who are still playing UMK3 are ADAPTING.