What's new

The sad state of UMK3, and the re-emergence of MK2

MKK hanzo

Guys now Umk3 sucks? Lol im not going to even debate that but to the guy that suggested MKT: do it but N64 VERSION. You will all see what are business.

A tip: for all the players asking for MK4, you dont know what you are getting into. If you dont like glitch jabs then avoid mk4. Is way worse and moooore abusable at high level.

Btw much love to Reo and respect, but that doesnt prove anything (please dont get mad ppl) unless THE VERY BEST TOP PLAYERS ATTEND A TOURNEY.

Again no disrespect to anyone but I cant stand read shit about Umk3 like that.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
It's got NOTHING to do with not being able to compete.
A lot of it has to do with not being able to compete. Can you say that a person not using kara jabs against an expert kara jabber has any chance of winning? It's nearly impossible to win in that situation. Even if you know the game inside and out, if you're not using kara jabs against someone who is, you're not going to be successful.

UMK3 was fun when it wasn't about some STUPID tactic. If ANY OTHER FIGHTING GAME had one single tactic that essentially overshadowed the ENTIRE GAME then that game would be boring. SFA2 even with it's Valle Custom Combos... you had to WORK to get your meter so you had to PLAY SFA2 in order to do it.
You're right, if another fighting game had this tactic it would be nearly unplayable. But it's not in other games, it's in UMK3. And it works for UMK3. Something about the game just makes kara jabs not only work, but improve the gameplay. Maybe it's the run or universal same normals.

The fact is, I'm a good enough player that if I WANTED to learn those braindead kara jabs... if I had any desire to put any of my precious time into it(nice being a college kid and having the time to just play video games all day, right?) I would be able to "compete". Not only that, but I won't even entertain the idea of, "if you can do it, prove it"... because spending my time learning to do something that bores me isn't worth my time.
Maybe so, but like I said, there's less than a handful of players who kara/glitch jabs at it's full potential. It may be boring to watch, but so are games like Tekken. Once you understand how to fully utilize the jabs and how to beat them, your level will improve tremendously and you'll see all the mind games that comes with the glitch jabs.

I'm not going to spend too much more time on this. I rarely play the game anymore, and it's not like I have an offline UMK3 scene down here in GA. I just think you guys are giving up too easily. I've had millions of matches where Arion and myself are glitch/kara jabbing, and the games are intense, fun, and there's so many mind games and footsies going on it's amazing. The problem is you need 2 players using them at the same level, otherwise the player who is using them better is going to overshadow the other player every time.

MKK hanzo

A lot of it has to do with not being able to compete. Can you say that a person not using kara jabs against an expert kara jabber has any chance of winning? It's nearly impossible to win in that situation. Even if you know the game inside and out, if you're not using kara jabs against someone who is, you're not going to be successful.

You're right, if another fighting game had this tactic it would be nearly unplayable. But it's not in other games, it's in UMK3. And it works for UMK3. Something about the game just makes kara jabs not only work, but improve the gameplay. Maybe it's the run or universal same normals.

Maybe so, but like I said, there's less than a handful of players who kara/glitch jabs at it's full potential. It may be boring to watch, but so are games like Tekken. Once you understand how to fully utilize the jabs and how to beat them, your level will improve tremendously and you'll see all the mind games that comes with the glitch jabs.

I'm not going to spend too much more time on this. I rarely play the game anymore, and it's not like I have an offline UMK3 scene down here in GA. I just think you guys are giving up too easily. I've had millions of matches where Arion and myself are glitch/kara jabbing, and the games are intense, fun, and there's so many mind games and footsies going on it's amazing. The problem is you need 2 players using them at the same level, otherwise the player who is using them better is going to overshadow the other player every time.
I cant like posts from my phone but you deserve it. Thanks Juggs.

MKK hanzo

I doubt that 98% of the players can perfect glitch jab. The best example is the actual best player there: Marvinrasta. And he "eat" lots of attacks even gjabbin. Juggs himself was on the brink of defeating him. On paper is like parry, you can parry everything, but "can you"?

Its not an autowin button.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Hanzo, I love the game just like u do. Reo did an amazing job showing that u don't even need specials to win. As much is I could, I tried to play normal umk with some kara jab. It was impossible for me to even win a round without doing the same....where is the fun in that? What is the point of learning combos or practicing anything other than a piano arpegio (run,lp,blk)on my stick????

MKK hanzo

Hanzo, I love the game just like u do. Reo did an amazing job showing that u don't even need specials to win. As much is I could, I tried to play normal umk with some kara jab. It was impossible for me to even win a round without doing the same....where is the fun in that? What is the point of learning combos or practicing anything other than a piano arpegio (run,lp,blk)on my stick????
What about the fact that noob has 150% life? Any vid of those matches please?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Now it makes sense why DC Hustle decided to put the game down and focus on something more serious.
I was trying to get into UMK:3 like a year ago. I asked DC HUSTLE for some advice and he told me "don't bother. game's all about glitching with jabs." I guess I understand now. LOL.

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
The one thing i am happy about is that rob wants to play and learn mk2 now :) Steve was so happy to hear that one of the vsm guys wants to play mk2 with us

I have always preferred mk2 over umk3, not saying that umk3 is a bad game , but the jab game was a real turn off for me as well but played correctly ( minus all that jab stuff )it is still my second favorite game

You can also do kara jabs in mk2 , I believe the online guys call it "golden punches" ? frankly i never knew why it was done at all i just thought they didnt know how to time the aahp lol :)

I think its more useful in umk3 because you can dash in a bit and still do it ,

anyways im glad this thread is even here maybe mk2 will finally get alittle more exposure from the umk3 and mk9 crew

I wish all you guys started playing again , i consider myself a very high level player , Id love to play anyone in person whos good it is like a match of chess as i believe phil said .

Noob
I wish all you guys started playing again , i consider myself a very high level player , Id love to play anyone in person whos good it is like a match of chess as i believe phil said .

Chess match or a tense, close baseball game.

Is it really that much better? All I've ever seen of MKII is Mileena, Jax, and Liu standing full screen and--for lack of better term--spamming projectiles until someone screws up and takes a hit.

DarKNaTaS

Retired!
hold on i been playing umk for 17 yrs now and didnt even know wtf kara jabs where till i read this shit. also reading what summoning wrote that there are kara jabs in mk2 also. so y go to mk2 which in my eyes is slow and boring to me because u guys dislike kara jabs in umk3????

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
2 words. Soft ban. Make everyone self-accountable and if they abuse the glitch/kara a jabbing to win, we just ridicule them as a community until people start playing the game the way it was MEANT to be played.

It always seems to be the shitty characters who are the best at kicking the AIs ass. I wonder why that is? I know I can tear through MKII as Baraka, and MKI as Scorp or Subz

Tim Static

Adminerator
MK1 via ded

1. Sonya
2. Cage (almost untouchable)
3. Scorpion (or 4)
4. Liu Kang (or 3)
5. Sub-Zero
6. Kano (bad luck stopping glitch jabs, duck game lose against them)
7. Raiden