What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Also, Reptile is a lower than I thought he'd be.

What are his 3-4 bad match-ups? I don't know much about him.
Mileena, Sektor and Freddy for sure.

Also, guys, Smoke being S tier is no surprise. Play ATL_REDD or Aris and then try and say that Smoke is anything less. Being unable to throw a projectile without getting shaken on reaction unless you're close enough to where Smoke can tag you with a 16f lunging overhead is a lot more devastating than you all give credit for.

Also, Reptile is a lower than I thought he'd be.

What are his 3-4 bad match-ups? I don't know much about him.
Reptile generally has a hard time with characters who cut off his ground mobility. As far as specific bad matches go, I recall THTB saying something like Mileena + Liu Kang + Sektor + Freddy.

Also to add on some more general stuff, I played Nightwolf in tournaments for awhile and I could see this ranking. His shoulder can be punished with full combos if the opponent crouches. He has fast normals with absolutely no range (1 and f+3), and a long-ranged normal that's horribly slow (b+2) - no solid mid-range pokes whatsoever. He often has to take big risks to get out of pressure (whether it's uppercut or one of his armor moves). Others have mentioned the way EX lightning was killed by the new wakeup invincibility. And on top of all this, he has even less in the way of pressure & mixup than Raiden, without the latter's turtle game. About the only characters that NW clearly beats are the weaker zoning characters; I used to pick him over Kano for matchups like Sindel, but now that I'm learning Raiden there's no need for him.

Pig, I currently use Kenshi specifically for the Mileena matchup and it's worked a lot better than anything else I've tried. If I hang out at max range for spirit charge, what does she have to scare me?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
REO, Tom, and I agreed that Ermac's bad match ups are vs Kabal, Kitana, Raiden, Freddy, Jax, Cage, and Reptile. And from what I understand, Noob is especially bad for Ermac.

Kabal:agree
Kitana:nope
Raiden:agree
Freddy: Dont know havent played anyone good but i play Freddy a bit and i dont think he would be a problem.
Jax:no (just gotta be careful when he has bars)
Cage:no (only when he has meter you have to be careful, other than that HELL NO)
Reptile:agree

EDIT: Noob is nothing if you can keep him midscreen when you are zoning him.

I too am still skeptical about Smoke's tier placement, but REO and Tom insist on it.
As a Smoke player I find it especially difficult to see how he is S tier. I know that REO and Tom have way more knowledge about the game than I do but I think something with this placement is not right. His F4 resets will be patched out so they should not even count, and even if you do count them even top level players would not attempt the reset outside of a corner. He was not S tier before this last patch (A or A+ possible) and the patch hurt his whiffed teleport pressure with the extra frames on wakeup. So how does he move up a tier or two while getting a semi nerf?

Although I would be ecstatic to see REO or Tom pick up Smoke and play on stream with this S tier character.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Dash nerf... coupled with his CRAZY pressure and super fast overhead. He also shuts down zoners... period. He can make any character uncomfortable ...

Ermac has NO way to get Cage, Jax, Sonya off of him. I don't care how much you argue... they can lock him down, and that is why they are bad match ups. The same for Freddy doing the same thing at full screen. There is nothing Ermac can do about it.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Dash nerf... coupled with his CRAZY pressure and super fast overhead. He also shuts down zoners... period. He can make any character uncomfortable ...

Ermac has NO way to get Cage, Jax, Sonya off of him. I don't care how much you argue... they can lock him down, and that is why they are bad match ups. The same for Freddy doing the same thing at full screen. There is nothing Ermac can do about it.

Ok i agree that they can pressure you as hell.But.. Ever heard of throws ? Ermac's throw= fight reset which is in favor of Ermac cause it sends the opponent almost full screen as you know. And if they dash block dash block etc etc as you say and they are expecting another throw Ermac can just mix it up from there. Its not that simple as you present it to be Sub_Crash.

THTB

[MENTION=275]Pig Of The Hut[/MENTION] Skarlet is no longer really a bad matchup because of her dagger nerf. 10f more to wait until you can dash cancel = ridiculously bad. Reptile can duck underneath Kabal's iaGBs with forceballs, so it's not as hard for him to get in as it is with others. CSZ cuts off Reptile's projectiles for the most part, but Reptile can punish divekicks easily. This turns the matchup into a ground game that neither one has a clear advantage of. And Kitana is even, possibly advantage to Reptile. Him getting something on screen = Kitana can't do anything really to play keepaway. Up close isn't really that much better of a solution either.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Pig, I currently use Kenshi specifically for the Mileena matchup and it's worked a lot better than anything else I've tried. If I hang out at max range for spirit charge, what does she have to scare me?
It's interesting I've heard half kenshi players say 100% what you just said and the other half the opposite. Lord of the fly picked him up for mileena and agrees w you but TEEF would say the opposite.

I need to see you guys and other kenshi players discuss this I'm very interested.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
[MENTION=275]Pig Of The Hut[/MENTION] Skarlet is no longer really a bad matchup because of her dagger nerf. 10f more to wait until you can dash cancel = ridiculously bad. Reptile can duck underneath Kabal's iaGBs with forceballs, so it's not as hard for him to get in as it is with others. CSZ cuts off Reptile's projectiles for the most part, but Reptile can punish divekicks easily. This turns the matchup into a ground game that neither one has a clear advantage of. And Kitana is even, possibly advantage to Reptile. Him getting something on screen = Kitana can't do anything really to play keepaway. Up close isn't really that much better of a solution either.
Thanks for the explanation.

I don't find reptile to be a threat to CSz and always thought it was 6-4 but could be 5-5 easily. His best asset against CSz is ex ball. CSz should never dive reptile unless guaranteed or for fake outs.

Skarlet makes sense

Didn't know kitana was even, I viewed it in terms of mileena matchup and still think reptile can be zoned out w IAF but I guess if he can duck them w fireballs thaw a neat way to deal with it

THTB have u played against top freddys w reptile? What are your thoughts on that?

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Ok i agree that they can pressure you as hell.But.. Ever heard of throws ? Ermac's throw= fight reset which is in favor of Ermac cause it sends the opponent almost full screen as you know. And if they dash block dash block etc etc as you say and they are expecting another throw Ermac can just mix it up from there. Its not that simple as you present it to be Sub_Crash.
You see everyone thinks ermac is just a pure zoning character.What they dont know is his mix-ups and pressure can be very good.Cage and jax can get in but they gonna have to spend meter to ge tin more times then not and if the ermac baits it. Example: Grab/ You-------------------------->Fly all the way back here.Back to square one.

Lack of high low mixups really hurt him though. Just stand block and the best thing Smoke can do is throw. His overhead is fast but his normals are slow. 11 frames is his fastest non poke. I still think Smoke is A or A+ tier just not S tier.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
THTB said:
Mileena, Sektor and Freddy for sure.
In the Freddy match up, I would elbow dash when I am full screen away, even if it means eating a glove toss or two. A full screen Reptile has no options vs Freddy. If you try to work your way in, you will lose 50%+ of your life doing so. Like I said, I would take the 7-14% of damage to approach Freddy. At mid range, you can jump, elbow dash, slide, d+4, etc.

I still believe that this match up could be 5:5. Reptile has some nice anti-Freddy stuff that few characters have access to. He can punish Freddy's best string (f+4,2,1), he can slide under glove toss unlike Sub and Cyber Sub, he can punish a mid spike from half screen away, etc. Reptile players just have to learn the match up.

THTB

With Kitana, it's not so much that he can duck iaF, but that if he ducks it normally, Kitana has to ground fan again because spit will knock her out of the air if she tries iaF. Spit is too much of a counter for iaF, and once spit gets on screen, it's hard for her to do anything favorably other than get in. That allows him to get forceballs on screen. And because ground fans are so slow on startup, she cannot keep Reptile from doing much like Mileena can. That is why the Mileena matchup is in her favor...she cuts off Reptile's ability to do much with 1 sai put on screen due to the decent startup and pretty identical recovery to ground fan.

For Freddy, once Freddy gets you at full screen, all Reptile can do is jump to avoid gloves and hope he doesn't jump onto a spike or get nailed with an AA glove that will send him fullscreen again. It's too difficult to get back in once Freddy gets you out. Up close, yeah, Reptile is in control, but considering the shit he has to deal with to get there...it doesn't entirely make up for it.

There is no way in hell Sindel is a bad matchup for Kitana. Seriously though, could you explain that?
RunwayMafias sindel is a toughy.

she can duck under your fans with her low projectile yell, she can outzone you, she can interrupt your square boost with a yell projectile.

kitana has bad match ups, but they aren't bad by much. she can manage

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You see everyone thinks ermac is just a pure zoning character.What they dont know is his mix-ups and pressure can be very good.Cage and jax can get in but they gonna have to spend meter to ge tin more times then not and if the ermac baits it. Example: Grab/ You-------------------------->Fly all the way back here.Back to square one.
Ermac has NO pressure stings. none. zero. all you have to do is down block him. f4 and anything after is unsafe... 3,1 doesn't matter because I can stop anything after 3 with a down poke.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Ermac has NO pressure stings. none. zero. all you have to do is down block him. f4 and anything after is unsafe... 3,1 doesn't matter because I can stop anything after 3 with a down poke.
lol if you think 3,1 is the only thing ermac has up close u are extremely misinformed my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.