What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
very good list..

i see far too many "how can this character be under such and such hes better then that one character"

the tier list is based on how many bad match ups a character has, its not difficult to understand.. the game is heavy match up based.

im glad im not the only one that sees smoke as s tier, the son of a bitch is too good..

REO

Undead
The ONLY character I don't agree with is Liu Kang, I think he should be about 4-5 characters higher. Other then that, I think this list is completely accurate.
I don't see how REO agreed with Liu Kang being only A Tier, I think this might change really soon tho.
Liu Kang would be higher if it weren't for characters such as Noob, Freddy, Mileena, Raiden, and Jax getting in the way.

Past

Noob
Seriously through why is Jade the WORST character according to this list? What are her 11+ bad matchups?

Going even or losing slightly to the S tier does not put someone in low tier. And save for L0rdoftheFly, Nightwolf is drastically under-explored. In fact, while I really like this tier list format, and agree with a good chunk of it, a lot of it does smell like it's taken from who gets used the most by the best players in tournaments. Every time in the past that a new tier list has been compiled, it's always been heavily influenced by who's been doing well in tournaments leading up to its release. That's not to say that that's a poor criteria for SOME tier placement, but it does usually mean that characters will get placed lower if they're less explored/exposed on the tournament scene. It means that the high-tiers are usually fairly accurate, while the low tiers are just the "we didn't know where else to put them" tier.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Hm, well I'm salty (feeling stupid). Mileena is in S tier????
How?????

Other than that one character though, I agree with the rest of the list 100%
Even Jade seems like the worst character too.

Hm, let's see the theory here with Mileena...
S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

Her bad match ups are Smoke, Sub Zero, Raiden, Kenshi, Kabal, Noob Saibot, Ermac, and potentially more.
So...certainly 7 bad match ups. So move Mileena to B tier, and I agree with the placement.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Me not like a D tier Jade. Me mad

Also, it would be useful to list the bad match-ups on which the tier list is based.

Mileena and Smoke in S tier seems strange to me. Otherwise, I can understand the logic behind most everything else.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
How?????

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

Her bad match ups are Smoke, Sub Zero, Raiden, Kenshi, Kabal, Noob Saibot, Ermac, and potentially more.
So...certainly 7 bad match ups. So move Mileena to B tier, and I agree with the placement.

Got to say the nay-no on these two.
I would think Teleport Kick & D4 alone would put her at an advantage, especially against Sub.
He can't trade Ice with her Sais because he doesn't chip, and the minute he moves otherwise, he's eating a kick and she's inside U4ing.
Same issue with Kenshi. She gets inside, she can get below most of his attacks minus Rising Karma, wait for an opening, and start ripping away.

D-MyzE

Noob
Ok I was totally confused at how Nightwolf is in C tier. But then m2dave said its because he gets beat easily by pokes and the s tier characters. So then how are Baraka and Sheeva in a higher tier than him? Do they do better against S tier characters? O__o

Also, just wondering, is smoke only S tier because of his resets or something else?

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
Smoke can't be zoned, his pokes are godlike and he has the fastest overhead in the game (right?)

Pokes don't own Baraka, his Blade Charge can't be ducked, etc.

No idea about Sheeva.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
mileenas d+4 even goes under raidens torpedo LOL I was messing around with mileena last night. shit was funny, god i can only wish that sindel had that d+4 :(

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
REO, Tom, and I agreed that Ermac's bad match ups are vs Kabal, Kitana, Raiden, Freddy, Jax, Cage, and Reptile. And from what I understand, Noob is especially bad for Ermac.
I wouldnt say kitana and cage and bad MUs at all. They just both make ermac have to play an extremely boring zoning game.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
PimpUigi said:
How?????

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

None of those characters are bad match ups with the exception of Kenshi and Raiden, whom you did not include in your list. Mileena players have to learn how to fight Ermac.

D-MyzE said:
Ok I was totally confused at how Nightwolf is in C tier. But then m2dave said its because he gets beat easily by pokes and the s tier characters. So then how are Baraka and Sheeva in a higher tier than him? Do they do better against S tier characters? O__o

Also, just wondering, is smoke only S tier because of his resets or something else?
Nightwolf has bad match ups against some A+ characters too, which includes Freddy, Jax, Johnny Cage, Reptile, Sonya, and Liu Kang. I did not believe that Nightwolf was low mid tier either, but the bad match ups just kept on accumulating. Again, his problems definitely revolve around good low pokes and/or constant rush down. For example, he has one of the worst fireballs in the game. It is difficult for him to keep characters away, and high level players have learned to combo punish whiffed shoulder charges.

REO and Tom Brady insisted on Smoke being S tier. Perhaps they can explain. I would have placed him in A+.

DanCock said:
mileenas d+4 even goes under raidens torpedo LOL I was messing around with mileena last night. shit was funny, god i can only wish that sindel had that d+4 :(
I even "crouched" under Kabal's dash handful of times. Mileena's d+4 is the best poke in the game by far.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
How?????

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

There is no way in holy hell Mileena has bad match-ups with Noob, Ermac or Sub-Zero at high level. She's 5-5 with all of them at worst.

EDIT: Dammit. Got side tracked only to have my post ninja'd by m2dave. Sad day.

EDIT 2: Also, it really would not kill people to include explanations for tier placements beyond bad match-ups especially when most people want to believe their characters are all trash tier.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
All my characters are A+ guess that makes me a tier whore :) .. On a serious note, this list looks very reasonable. Though.. I think Jade is a lot better than people think. She is just unexplored.

mileena doesn't have a ton of bad bad match ups , but i don't think she's S like those other characters are S
she always has a chance but if the opponent isn't jumping she's gotta rely on unsafe options

vilen mileena gets destroyed my ermac, she really can't do much against him
he punishes her telekick/extelekick, incoming roll for like 30% +
he can zone her out with tkp, its a bloodbath

vilen mileena gets destroyed my ermac, she really can't do much against him
he punishes her telekick/extelekick, incoming roll for like 30% +
he can zone her out with tkp, its a bloodbath
He can zone a lot of the cast.

He can punish the cast with big damage.

That doesn't mean it's a bad match up, those are basic things.

Nah, Kenshi is definitely the best Mileena counter. Spirit Charge is the only move of its kind that can't be crouched and is safe on block, making it by far the strongest answer anyone has to d4. Mileena also isn't very well-suited to take advantage of Kenshi's big weaknesses, mostly due to her lack of good pressure. On the other hand, he seems to have a hard time punishing EX teleport, though I haven't tested EX Rising Karma in between the 2 kicks (think this should work). I'm also not sure whether Mileena can consistently punish normal Rising Karma - I know roll is a bit slower than moves like superman but maybe it still works.

Also, I'm strongly inclined to agree with Kano being in A the more I play, though I do think the upcoming hotfix will help quite a bit. I'd say Kabal and Cyrax are both currently tough matchups for him, but the nerfs will make them even or possibly in Kano's favor. As for bad matches that won't change...Sub, Mileena, and Cage are in there at least. Though I still have yet to play a good one, I now think Sonya should beat him - Mileena d4 with way better options afterward, come on! Jax also probably beats Kano - pressure isn't as scary as Cage's until you're in the corner but he has much better anti-zoning tools. Freddy has an advantage over Kano as well, though I still don't think it's quite 6-4 level.

In general, I think Kano's biggest problem is that he was originally designed as a zoning character but can't pull that off anymore. Part of that is the knife nerf from awhile back, but it's also people getting better at patiently working their way in combined with a number of weaknesses he's always had: knife not pushing back on block, no air projectile, and one of the worst d4's.

I think giving the knives pushback would help address a couple of his bad matches without dumbing him down or throwing the game out of whack, but I'm not holding my breath. He's still pretty good, just need to learn another character or 2...

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Also, Reptile is a lower than I thought he'd be.

What are his 3-4 bad match-ups? I don't know much about him.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Question : You put Ermac at B tier (B=7-8 bad MU's) when Ermac has only 5 maybe 6 bad MU's. Why ?
Yea idk either.Im just curious to know who they feel is better then ermac MU wise.What are the Match ups that put him over 6.Also who represented him.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
If you think ermac BEATS mileena then it means you aren't playing mileena correctly and you tele kick randomly way too much

Also to whoever listed sub, noob, ermac and kenshi as bad MU for mileena is f ing high......please send the player for each of those my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.