What's new

Tech Heads I need help finding an HDMI Splitter

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Sup guys, I'm looking for a HDMI splitter so that I can play an Xbox One, a PS4, and a laptop and switch audio signals depending on whats turned on. Basically I need something that will allow them all to share the same sound system.

Is there such a thing? So far I've only found splitters that'll play sound from output A, which means that I would have to switch inputs around to get sound from whatever I'm using at the time.

Preferably 3 inputs 2 outputs, but most I've seen are 4 input 2 outputs.
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
What are the consoles hooked up to in this set up? I have a 3 way HDMI splitter for my PC and two consoles which share a monitor and speakers and I can swap between the three at the touch of a button so I would assume that would work but it depends on the set up, also I assume you're using dedicated speakers?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
What are the consoles hooked up to in this set up? I have a 3 way HDMI splitter for my PC and two consoles which share a monitor and speakers and I can swap between the three at the touch of a button so I would assume that would work but it depends on the set up, also I assume you're using dedicated speakers?

At the moment I have:

Sources:

- Xbox One
- Laptop
(Potentially a PS4 in the future)

Outputs:

- Asus Monitor VX239H
- Toshiba Regza 37AV615DB

The sound systems amped and I can use either an aux lead or a set of Phonos (RCA).

I've just been reading reviews that certain splitters will only use sound from output A. So I didnt wanna just throw my money and still have to be switching cables, even if it is just for sound.

JTB123

This is the one I use - http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-1080p-switch-Splitter-Pigtail/dp/B003TKKSIC/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423563193&sr=1-12&keywords=hdmi+splitter

Only has one output lead though, but that one works like a charm. If you set your sound output on the laptop to HDMI then I see no reason why it shouldn't work when that is the input selected. As far as I know I don't think they have one with two outputs unfortunately.

That particular switch operates automatically depending on what is turned on, for example if your 360 is the only device on it will output video and audio to from that. Then if something else is turned on it will automatically switch to that, but you can select between the two by pressing the button on the top of the switch.

JTB123

You shouldn't need one no, HDMI will carry the audio and play it through whatever speakers / amp is connected. The set up you have sounds very similar to mine, mine runs through a capture box so I can record which is the only real difference but I also use dedicated speakers as opposed to built in, as long as the speakers are set up right then you should be good to go :)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

Noob
@A F0xy Grampa make sure you get an externally powered one like @THTB suggested or you could experience lag.

Also to note, most of them are native 720p and upscale to 1080p, which can also cause lag. That means that you need one that uses true native 1080 AND 720 and switches on the fly to accommodate what system and resolution you're using.

I use this one which is native 1080p and switches on the fly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BGBU3X6/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1423569857&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=saveent high definition 5x1

Noob
@A F0xy Grampa I think I misread what you were asking. Sounds to me like @PainForge is correct about what you may need, but I'm not sure even that will do what you're asking.

Let me ask, is this what you're trying to do:

You have hdmi inputs
A
B
C

You have monitors

You want to be able to:
Input A show on monitor 1 with sound from input B or C

Am I correct? If this is what you want to do, then you're going to need a sound system that has separate audio coming from each input.

Essentially:

hdmi A - to hdmi splitter AND audio lead into stereo
hdmi B - to hdmi splitter AND audio lead into stereo
hdmi C - to hdmi splitter AND audio lead into stereo

Splitter to:
A to monitor 1 or 2
B audio from stereo playing with A audio turned down on monitor

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
So @9.95 that one on your link doesnt lag at all? 35$ seems like a good price.

I bought a cheap one a few months ago and it lagged badly. I want it for my ps4/xbox one.

Noob
So @9.95 that one on your link doesnt lag at all? 35$ seems like a good price.

I bought a cheap one a few months ago and it lagged badly. I want it for my ps4/xbox one.
I have no lag at all. The big thing is being sure that you buy one that's externally powered and supports 1080p native resolution rather than 720p that upscales to 1080p. The one I use is really good. I have no noticeable lag on any of my systems.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
@A F0xy Grampa make sure you get an externally powered one like @THTB suggested or you could experience lag.

Also to note, most of them are native 720p and upscale to 1080p, which can also cause lag. That means that you need one that uses true native 1080 AND 720 and switches on the fly to accommodate what system and resolution you're using.

I use this one which is native 1080p and switches on the fly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BGBU3X6/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1423569857&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=saveent high definition 5x1
Just bought that cause its mad fucking cheap.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Thanks for the help guys, got it sorted, found a good one with everything Phil said.

Was £100, got for £50. I'll link you guys when I'm home.