What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Predator Tanya v Predator MU

I've played this MU hundreds of times against @RunwayMafia Kobu Tanya. My question to all Predator mains (and Tanya mains) is if you have experience in this MU is there any viable strategy to deal with her or is it as bad as I believe it to be.

HQT can keep her out if done perfectly but if she gets in, especially in the corner, it's game over. Her pressure is fast enough to beat his armor and safe enough to beat Predator's counter pokes based on reaction. It appears the only way out is making near impossible reads or the Tanya player making a mistake allowing Predator to use armor or counter poke.

Her ex reika is also a bit of a problem when talking about Predator's oki game. It has two hits of armor, multiple fast hitting attacks, and -4 on block after the second reika.

So the only thing I can think of is, at least in HQT, right now is keeping her out, using invisibility as much as possible, ending combos either with max damage or max range.

Not about to start throwing numbers around, but this seems to be potentially Predator's worst MU.

Discuss

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
@Rickyraws nailed it. I have this problem with Sonya too. Granted she's easier to keep out, but once she gets in, its rape until I can guess right. It's only right that predator has garbage wake up though. HQTs zoning is ridiculously strong.

D

Deleted member 9158

I find the HQT predator MU difficult for Tanya but in his other variants I don't have as much difficulty. I use kobu jutsu

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I hate this mu,
I can't stand all the whiny Tanya mains because she's still brain dead and stupid
Lol, nah, she is far from @Braindead

Predator wins.
I just dont see it. She has an answer and then some for every option he has.

Crimson's HQT is pretty solid and and is a solid player in general, but I (as Kobu, my third least used variation as a Tanya main) have absolutley nothing to fear from mid screen and especially once I get in. My b1 stuffs his armor, I can stay safe and bait his punishable d4 and that lunging grab move, and when I punish, it hurts.

Sure, he will land a d4 into the low laser and I will temporarily be off him, but one right read and its back to the corner for Predator.

Sure, HQT's zoning is amazing, but when playing a competent player, it's only inevitable before I get in, especially as Tanya. It's pretty bad, and I'm a Tanya downplayer lol.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Lol, nah, she is far from @Braindead

I just dont see it. She has an answer and then some for every option he has.

Crimson's HQT is pretty solid and and is a solid player in general, but I (as Kobu, my third least used variation as a Tanya main) have absolutley nothing to fear from mid screen and especially once I get in. My b1 stuffs his armor, I can stay safe and bait his punishable d4 and that lunging grab move, and when I punish, it hurts.

Sure, he will land a d4 into the low laser and I will temporarily be off him, but one right read and its back to the corner for Predator.

Sure, HQT's zoning is amazing, but when playing a competent player, it's only inevitable before I get in, especially as Tanya. It's pretty bad, and I'm a Tanya downplayer lol.
It comes down to the amount of zoning punishes in HQT and zoning damage in Hunter.

In HQT, she can get around the disc and the lasers - but not without leaving herself prone. Since the Predator sets the course, its easy to just follow through and punish. Once she gets in, Predator has all kinds of options for knockdowns. Even in Kobo Jutsu, he just need to be a little patient because there are holes and his pokes are fast and damaging enough to bait into a punish.

In Hunter, its harder to keep her out - but he out-damages her at a rate of almost 2 to 1. Once he gets a trap down behind her, she absolutely has to teleport because his punishes with the trap can do 45 damage on the low end - and in the 60's on the high end.

I know I'm kind of new and I don't know it all, but I am really having trouble understanding the lack of vision here. I think a lot that don't know and those that do aren't saying anything - or they're just going along.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
You should really change this thread title to "b1xxRekka vs Predator," because that's pretty much the only thing Tanya has to do.

13. You don't know squat about the Tanya/Predator matchup.

:p

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
It comes down to the amount of zoning punishes in HQT and zoning damage in Hunter.

In HQT, she can get around the disc and the lasers - but not without leaving herself prone. Since the Predator sets the course, its easy to just follow through and punish. Once she gets in, Predator has all kinds of options for knockdowns. Even in Kobo Jutsu, he just need to be a little patient because there are holes and his pokes are fast and damaging enough to bait into a punish.

In Hunter, its harder to keep her out - but he out-damages her at a rate of almost 2 to 1. Once he gets a trap down behind her, she absolutely has to teleport because his punishes with the trap can do 45 damage on the low end - and in the 60's on the high end.

I know I'm kind of new and I don't know it all, but I am really having trouble understanding the lack of vision here. I think a lot that don't know and those that do aren't saying anything - or they're just going along.
With all due respect, there is no lack of "vision" here. I play this MU literally everyday and it's obvious that Pred struggles against Kobu.

Also, yes, Tanya has holes once she goes into her rekka pressure, but she doesn't even need to go past b1, 2+4. She builds meter so quick and can counter his options past her -4 string. I have kept him locked down in the corner almost every set we play.

Also, her zoning in Kobu is very underrated in my opinion, she can go toe to toe against HQT easily.

So no, from experience as a Tanya main, Predator does not win this MU...at least not in this meta.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This MU is really bad. I know its bad because not once when facing a predator have I been afraid of anything he does. EX Rekka gets her out of most of his trap stuff in predator, his zoning isnt enough to keep her out in HQT(I need one good read on EX Tonfa toss and I am in), and once she gets in he gets screwed no matter the variation.

I havent played enough to throw out a number definitively but I could see this being 7-3.

It's pretty bad. His already poor punish options on top of a low hitbox character whose some of her moves changes her hitbox where F1 (a true high) whiffs, on top of ex rekka he's basically reduced to d3 and hoping to get out if it hits.

I feel at least 7-3 as well but I really want to say like 9-1 for Tanya because the salt is real lol. His wake up game is probably the worst in game just because of how easy it is to stuff.

Just jump out of the corner, works almost everytime online.

Just like how people jump themselves in the corner and freely jump back out,,,